• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Ships Over 10 Million Copies In First Week, [5 Mil Sold First Week]

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Meanwhile+in+Sweden.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In a sense I'm not really shocked.

Battlefield 2 was the "da shit" for military shooters and massive multiplayer before Modern Warfare arrived and put Call of Duty in the spotlight. Battlefield still retained the power to make even its spinoffs like Bad Company sell extremely well.

A proper, numbered Battlefield 3 always had the potential for a "return of the king" scenario. It has been six years after all, and the market is more primed than ever for large scale online military shooters.

Daddy came home...

rapid32.5

shipped, yeah good luck with that replenishing. only 3 people on my PSN list are playing the game, 9 playing MW2. if it's any indication MW3 will ship 10 times as much.

Derrick01

Banned
Chinner said:
i guess having an effective marketing is more important than having a good game nowadays.

Definitely. Any shooter can sell this much if you pump a $50 million marketing campaign into it and sell it as a COD clone.

Ugh I hate seeing EA succeed. They deserve to die more than anyone in this industry.

I'm getting tired of corporations citing the number of games shipped to retailers just to inflate numbers. Who gives a shit. Give us the number of units SOLD.

-MB-

Metalmurphy said:
Well... They're already preparing re-orders.

Unless they purposely undershipped to certain places, forcging them to re-order, just so they can say there are re-orders, suggesting that they sold out of their 10 million already.

rapid32.5 said:
shipped, yeah good luck with that replenishing. only 3 people on my PSN list are playing the game, 9 playing MW2. if it's any indication MW3 will ship 10 times as much.
Lol at extrapolating results from your friends list.

rapid32.5 said:
Well that settles it. Battlefield 3 bomba!

Orayn

rapid32.5 said:
Anecdotes are truth and MW3 will ship 100 million units. You heard it here first, folks.

rapid32.5 said:

I dont think your specific PSN list is indicative of planet Earth.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
rapid32.5 said:
I have more people on my friends list playing Valk than Modern Warfare 2.

Suck it down Activision, Sega is back!

3N16MA

Banned
rapid32.5 said:

Don't blame us because your friends suck.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Derrick01 said:
Definitely. Any shooter can sell this much if you pump a $50 million marketing campaign into it and sell it as a COD clone.

Ugh I hate seeing EA succeed. They deserve to die more than anyone in this industry.

Despite the reviews and hate, the campaign in B3 is really good as a COD style arcade shooter. For all the hip disdain COD gets, it's a valid type of shooter, and serves its purpose well.

The market wants both massive multiplayer, and COD style campaigns. B3 has the campaign, and as far as I can tell, its multiplayer is, in fact, quite good.

So yeah, no. Marketing or no marketing, Battlefield 3 deserves its success. No matter which publisher is supposed to be the ultimate evil this month.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
My Goty so far :D touched the campaign once haven't played it since. Multiplayer will own me For a loooooong time ala sc2, quake, and bf2.

AuthenticM said:
I'm getting tired of corporations citing the number of games shipped to retailers just to inflate numbers. Who gives a shit. Give us the number of units SOLD.

Given that it was to the shareholders such a thing done knowingly would be illegal. You can't do something like that on purpose simply because that's purposely skewing your financial results to the shareholders or public when you're a publicly traded company.

rapid32.5 said:

You heard it here first people, MW3 will ship 100 million units (also you're notice 9:3 is a 3:1 ratio, not 10:1.). This is especially laughable because you just showed how out of the norm your PSN list is. I don't know anyone who plays MW2 on consoles anymore since they've all moved on to BLOPS. I mean by your logic MW2 outsold BLOPS by an infinite amount right since you didn't mention anyone playing it on your PSN list?

rapid32.5 said:
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Someone get EA on the wire! They should give up now.

Struct09

Nirolak said:
I have more people on my friends list playing Valk than Modern Warfare 2.

Suck it down Activision, Sega is back!

I've never seen anyone on my PSN friends list playing MW2. Can't believe that game bombed so hard.

HOLY SHIT! EA AM GOD!

FUCK MW3! FUCK SUCKTIVISION! FUCK KOTICK!

CAPS AM COOL MODE!

[Nintex] said:
Holy fuck, John won. I don't know how he did it, nothing made sense and boom suddenly EA makes money again.

Long term strategy ftw?

rapid32.5

Orayn said:
What if his friends list consists of mostly CoD fans?
it's possibly true they all play FPS games most of the time. I just think EA is overselling copies ahead of time. Can't wait to see the actual number later on.

Kaijima said:
In a sense I'm not really shocked.

Battlefield 2 was the "da shit" for military shooters and massive multiplayer before Modern Warfare arrived and put Call of Duty in the spotlight. Battlefield still retained the power to make even its spinoffs like Bad Company sell extremely well.

A proper, numbered Battlefield 3 always had the potential for a "return of the king" scenario. It has been six years after all, and the market is more primed than ever for large scale online military shooters.

Daddy came home...
Daddy cashed in and released the game before it was ready and got rewarded for it...not punished. They pushed pushed pushed with marketing and shoved it through the slot before time was up.
Consumers sent EA (and any publisher paying any attention) a message or two and that message is now heard loud and clear.

Steamy support? Pfft
"limited edition" that people that buy new don't get? Yawn
Game well tested, not buggy? Bah
Checkbox modes? Sure, who can tell the difference?
Copy COD more? Let's do this!
Online pass? I hear wedding bells.
Mods? Shmods
Push the game back? Why...send it on through. That's what months and months of crunching is for.

The sad thing is I know I'm missing things but those are some lessons EA learned in this master class.

Wow, very happy with those results. Now there should be plenty of money for DICE to make me some free DLC (in addition to Karkand).

FStop7

Banned
Bomba.

I think the PC multiplayer is glorious. There are still issues with disconnects from servers, but I think they'll be worked out soon enough.

The single player campaign is abysmal. I mean it's terribad. So hopefully nobody buys this game for that reason.

Orayn

rapid32.5 said:
it's possibly true they all play FPS games most of the time. I just think EA is overselling copies ahead of time. Can't wait to see the actual number later on.
If they shipped 10 million copies and are currently getting orders for more, it's kind of hard to say they didn't sell most, if not all of them.

Mr. B Natural said:
Daddy cashed in and released the game before it was ready and got rewarded for it...not punished. They pushed pushed pushed with marketing and shoved it through the slot before time was up.
Consumers sent EA (and any publisher paying any attention) a message or two and that message is now heard loud and clear.

Steamy support? Pfft
"limited edition" that people that buy new don't get? Yawn
Game well tested, not buggy? Bah
Checkbox modes? Sure, who can tell the difference?
Copy COD more? Let's do this!
Online pass? I hear wedding bells.
Mods? Shmods
The sad thing is I know I'm missing things but those are some lessons EA learned in this master class.
And yet the PC version has provided me with about 7 and a half hours of joy, and the only time I've encountered any actual problems with the game was when I tried to update Punk Buster. Which DICE has nothing to do with. Perhaps people will understand more of what happens to non-lead platforms now that consoles got the shaft this time.

Top Bottom