• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Ships Over 10 Million Copies In First Week, [5 Mil Sold First Week]

Of course they have lost pc sales by not being on Steam, since Steam is by far the biggest pc platform for DD. You can argue about how much they lost, but they are still losses.

That you can get it everywhere else doesnt mean that you will do. Almost everyine who has been waiting for the game will, but there are many potential customers sales that they dont get now.

Facism

Loving the SCAR - H. Loving the wookie cowards whining about me sending a rocket their way when i spot them.

Binabik15

Goof on DICE, impressive that they could sell even ONE copy with the ridiculous marketing from EA. Live action soldier dude videos. Wut?

I seriously doubt that DICE won´t update/patch the game for a long time. Come on, they did with the others.

itxaka

Defeatist
Wow, thats an illegal amount of copies.

Seems that cod has now competition, that can only mean good things for gamers.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Stitch said:
sk4K2.png
. . .

in the coffee?

You guys do realize they have to sell about 15 million more copies to beat COD right? Lawl! Not knocking the success, but even still, let's not make crazy statements now.

-MB-

excaliburps said:
It's been mentioned a few times already, but retailers are placing re-orders. So the likelihood that there are 3-5 mil just sitting on store shelves are pretty slim.

Also, not every region has seen the game released.

Again, just that there are re-orders doesn't on its own mean one iota. just 2 stores re-ordering would be enough for that statement to be factually correct. Does not mean per se all stores already re-ordered.
I'd rather wait for actual sellthrough data before making any sort of conclusion here.

Hanmik

Is this EA´s new marketing campaign..? trying to best COD, by shipping a lot of copies to retailers..? how about some real figures EA.. come on roll the dice, i would like some real spice..

-MB-

Hanmik said:
Is this EA´s new marketing campaign..? trying to best COD, by shipping a lot of copies to retailers..? how about some real figures EA.. come on roll the dice, i would like some real spice..

bu-bu-ut they said they had re-orders! Must be proof all the 10 million are gonna fly off the shelves no questions asked.

-MB- said:
Again, just that there are re-orders doesn't on its own mean one iota. just 2 stores re-ordering would be enough for that statement to be factually correct. Does not mean per se all stores already re-ordered.
I'd rather wait for actual sellthrough data before making any sort of conclusion here.
Why does it have to be one or the other?

You don't actually believe people think that ALL stores are re-ordering do you? It's an indication that some (unknown quantity) are re-ordering. That's all there is to it.

I mean, the game WILL sell 10 million+ anyway... Seems like you don't want that to happen lol... But hey, it will.

Rad-

MrCookiepants said:
Wait for the sales trackers people. Look how insanely inflated that Bad Company 2 number is. LMAO.

It's not that inflated. Trackers show there were at least 10.3 million BC2 players.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The other interesting thing about BC2 was that it could be had for 20-30$ within a couple months and by Christmas it had gone as low as 7.50$ on Steam.

amitlu said:
I think going by that is misleading since PC players could make multiple accounts.
Sure, but how missleading? 1 million less? 2 million? 3 million?

Doubt it's even remotly close to 1 million.

Seda

http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=619404

October 31, 2011
Battlefield 3 Sells 5 Million Units in First Week

The Fastest-Selling Game in EA History Propelled by Great Reception from Critics and Player Word-of-Mouth

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced that based on internal estimates, Battlefield 3™ has sold through five million units in the first week globally, making it the fastest-selling game in EA's history. The outstanding retail performance is driven by critic's reviews averaging above 85 on console and above 90 on PC.* Word-of-mouth from gamers is also driving sales — Battlefield 3 now has more than 2.5 Million "likes" on Facebook®. Following the tradition of all games in this storied franchise; Battlefield 3 includes a superior multi-player experience. Consumers have logged-on in unprecedented numbers to team up and join the battle. Server stability was solid in the first weekend, delivering EA's highest-ever usage rates. While some players experienced intermittent disruption of online services due to high volume, internal estimates show that servers and service uptime stabilized to roughly 98.9% throughout the weekend, ensuring that players were connected and enjoying the game. With a commitment to support the game as a software service, EA is listening to consumer feedback and is making daily updates and improvements to ensure an optimal online experience for all.

Battlefield 3 continues to set new EA records this weekend**:

* 2.5 Million Facebook "likes" with hundreds of thousands of fans actively engaged
* Over 200K followers on Twitter®
* Battlefield 3 fans executed 73M savior kills, 48M revives and destroyed 67M vehicles

"From Tokyo to Los Angeles, Sydney to London, millions of fans have been playing all weekend long -- we are overwhelmed by the global response to Battlefield 3," said Patrick Soderlund, Executive Vice President of the EA Games Label. "It is extremely gratifying to deliver an entertainment experience that delights our fans, and to have the opportunity to introduce new people to the franchise. Already, we are seeing unprecedented play times and online activity which is very rewarding. This launch solidifies Battlefield as a leading entertainment brand."

Battlefield 3 employs the state-of-the-art Frostbite™ 2 game engine that creates a massive sense of scale, completely destructible environments and enables players to pilot a range of vehicles from jets and tanks to choppers and jeeps. With the addition of Battlelog, the Battlefield social network service, fans can stay connected as they rise to the challenge to become one of the world's best soldiers. To accompany the game, Orion Publishing released a novel called Battlefield 3: The Russian written by the highly decorated ex-SAS operator and best-selling author of Bravo Two Zero, Andy McNab, with co-author Peter Grimsdale. McNab worked with the creative team at DICE to ensure the authenticity of today's warfare is experienced in the single player, co-op and multiplayer campaigns.

The Battlefield franchise began in 2002 and has risen to international acclaim over the last decade. Developed by DICE in Stockholm, Sweden, the series has sold 50M units life-to-date. Since the launch of the first title, Battlefield 1942™, DICE has released 17 games and expansion packs in the Battlefield franchise; all with the series' signature open sandbox gameplay, vast array of military vehicles and an emphasis on social multiplayer with friends. With the release of Battlefield 3, DICE takes the franchise — and the shooter category — to new heights with the introduction of the advanced Frostbite 2 game engine technology and the Battlelog social network.

Battlefield 3 is available now in North America and Europe for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC. Battlefield 3 is rated "M" for Mature by the ESRB. Fans of the game and DICE can purchase merchandise online at the all-new DICE store at www.store.dice.se. For more information on Battlefield 3, please visit www.battlefield.com, and for the latest news on Battlefield please visit http://www.facebook.com/battlefield or follow us on Twitter® at www.twitter.com/battlefield.

* According to Metacritic as of October 31, 2011.

** As of October 30, 2011.

About Electronic Arts

Lol at Facebook/Twitter stats, but impressive.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
5 millions in first week, so?
Half of the shipment is already gone, wow.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Rightfully deserved too. The MP is insane. Congratulations Dice, now a few percentage of that revenue to make Mirrors Edge 2, you bastards for teasing the interior and colours in some of the BF3 campaign.

FStop7

Banned
Hanmik said:

-MB- said:
bu-bu-ut they said they had re-orders! Must be proof all the 10 million are gonna fly off the shelves no questions asked.

bitter tears

U2NUMB

I believe it and I bet the remaining 5 million move just as fast. Over the weekend I was walking into Best Buy and there were 2 kids with their fathers in front of me. Both asked each other if they were going in to get BF which they were. As they walked in another one of their friends was walking out and said "hurry up only a few copies left and Target is sold out"

So yea it has the buzz that sells copies left and right.

Good job DICE keep up the fixes and meaty DLC and I will play your game for years!

Just came home from visiting two Target locations and all standard and limited editions of BF3 are sold out for both consoles.

The sales people were getting annoying since someone would show up every 5 mins looking for BF3 lol

I asked if they have any copies left and they said they've been sold out since the B2G1 sale last Sunday and they dont know when's the next shipment.

Obviously I didnt check Best Buy or Toys R Us since they dont have any deals :p

-MB-

FStop7 said:
bitter tears

only 50% sold, so no bitter tears here mate. This actually proves my case.
The reorder statement was supposed to make us believe the 10 million shipped practically were sold through to customers, this proves only half of them actually were sold.
I'm sure they will end up selling all 10 million, but not as fast as they may led us to believe.

Top Bottom