• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Ships Over 10 Million Copies In First Week, [5 Mil Sold First Week]

rapid32.5 said:
shipped, yeah good luck with that replenishing. only 3 people on my PSN list are playing the game, 9 playing MW2. if it's any indication MW3 will ship 10 times as much.
Indeed your psn FL is the measure for which all game hype will be determined.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i'm not really sure how these FPS games can be MORE popular than they've already been. its kind of ridiculous. I guess they've gotten to the point where there's enough substance to them to really be into them.

hamchan said:
And why is this anti-gamer or anti-consumer in any way? Hint: it isn't.

You'll notice those aren't my terms, they're the terms put forward by the post I quoted. I'm guessing you didn't take the time to actually read it did you? I used the term in quotes, as you'll once again notice, because my point was if you're going to argue selling DLC and other extra content that have traditionally not been sold in smaller chunks by EA made it terrible, Activision is just as guilty on this front in terms of selling so many map packs with BLOPS and MW2.

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
10 Million?? For Battlefield 3??

x5ui37.gif

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This game shocked me. I was not prepared for how good it was online. My hype for MW3 kinda died a little.

JWong

Banned
Marketing of BF3 was definitely excellent with all the snippets of trailers.

Even the music was slowly revealed to turn out to be the Battlefield theme. Totally made me excited in the final launch trailer.

I hope these retailers who are reordering large amounts of BF3, have anticipated the many returns/trade-ins of this same game for MW3.
More than a few gamers have (temporarily) bought their copies of BF3 because of the Online Pass, instead of paying $10 with a rental copy.

I expect to see no shortage of used copies of BF3 at the gamestore on 11/9.

Orayn

SkoomaSuckinSwit said:
I hope these retailers who are reordering large amounts of BF3, have anticipated the many returns/trade-ins of this same game for MW3.
More than a few gamers have (temporarily) bought their copies of BF3 because of the Online Pass, instead of paying $10 with a rental copy.

I expect to see no shortage of used copies of BF3 at the gamestore on 11/9.
Stage 1: Denial.
You've got anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance left.

hamchan

Tallshortman said:
You'll notice those aren't my terms, they're the terms put forward by the post I quoted. I'm guessing you didn't take the time to actually read it did you? I used the term in quotes, as you'll once again notice, because my point was if you're going to argue selling DLC and other extra content that have traditionally not been sold in smaller chunks by EA made it terrible, Activision is just as guilty on this front in terms of selling so many map packs with BLOPS and MW2.

Oh really, I need to read better? Let's look at the posts you think I didn't read starting from where you quoted him.

Derrick01 said:
Let me guess, you're going to take the stance that EA is great and is great for gamers?

Tallshortman said:
Probably more like Activision is far worse. EA has had quite a few great games come out in the last two years. Really can't say the same for Activision.

Tallshortman said:
Actually they are and the fact that you think otherwise is pretty funny. I'll gladly take used game passes over the same 3 franchises every single year. The fact that they put so much of their eggs into one basket is just terrible business on their part and just sets them up to be as much "anti-gamer" as anyone.

Tallshortman said:
I actually do enjoy Activision games and have every major CoD (1, 2, 4, MW2, WaW, BLOPS) release as well as a few of the GH iterations. Thanks for talking out of your ass though.

You quite clearly don't even understand the post I was responding to otherwise you'd realize I said iterating the same franchises over and over again leads to too much franchise dependence which leads to bad milking policies.

Where was your point about selling DLC in these posts hmmm? Oh nowhere? Don't accuse me of not reading when you didn't mention it anywhere in your damn post. You expect me to be able to read your mind over the internet? I see your last couple of posts you said "oh you should have realized I said..." or "my point was...", WHEN YOU DIDN'T ACTUALLY WRITE YOUR POINT IN YOUR PREVIOUS POSTS.

Also "those were his terms, not mine", what the heck does that mean? You were replying to a person arguing that EA was more anti-consumer than Activision. Also how does "using the term in quotes" relate back to your DLC argument at all?

Once again, just because Activision only concentrates on a few big franchises does not make them anti-consumer. There is no connection at all really. Also, if you do hate their "bad milking policies" maybe you shouldn't be buying CoD every year hmmm?

Also the DLC argument can be a good one but in terms of CoD they always give a crapload of content right at launch and it can be argued that the DLC content wouldn't even be made if they couldn't sell it. Either way how does it make Activision "far worse" than EA? Can't use the quality of games argument because that's quite subjective and you already stated you enjoy their games. So please, explain it to me. Properly this time.

i'm playing through the campaign right now on pc. just got through the jet flying part.

dear god O_O

1226208.jpg

this game deserves the sales.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So they shipped a lot of copies.. this gives us zero inclination towards how well it sold.. what's the big deal about this again?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Omg I can't wait for moh2!!

Step it up to tier 1 ftw!!!

Read giant bomb and eat munchos

Pretty mental.

Impressive, too. I didn't really think this had gained that sort of mainstream exposure yet. Just goes to show that you can't really judge this stuff by the people around you.

enzo_gt said:
So they shipped a lot of copies.. this gives us zero inclination towards how well it sold.. what's the big deal about this again?

how many they shipped indicates how much money EA/DICE are making.

Vasili2K38

I'm really glad of it, first because Activision and COD deserves some serious competition to stop the milking, and second because the game is SOOOO GUUUUDDD. In 2 days I've spent around 8 hours of MP (PC), totally having a blast, I love the gameplay and technically is fucking incredible. The SP is decent, it has lows and highs, I'm near the end and I've enjoyed it, at the end is a COD-esque campaign, I don't know what people expected. And I've yet to try the coop, but a few friends have tried it and the say its very decent. So indeed the game deserves this sales and more..

Deadbeat

Banned
soulassssns said:
I guess a gun in the middle of a tv/display = Cod clone.
IM SHOOTING RUSSIANS COD DID IT FIRST BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Anywhoooo....

Hmm, what was the first game where you fought a modern day russia?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
But, but, but, the metacritic on consoles is 83% on Xbox360, and 86% on PS3, how could it possibly succeed? I thought that's what everyone was saying in the Uncharted threads? (sarcasm if you couldn't detect it)

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
bigboss370 said:
i'm playing through the campaign right now on pc. just got through the jet flying part.

dear god O_O

1226208.jpg

Unfortunately there are some sucky parts after that mission, but then it picks up again. Personally I didn't enjoy the tank bits at all. After those missions are done it gets really fun again though.

charsace

I think its funny that BC, the console off shoot, took the BF series to a higher level of popularity. It far surpassed the popularity of the previous BF games.

Kifimbo

enzo_gt said:

Usually, shipments are highly correlated with sales. If retailers asked for 10 million copies, it's because they expect to sell a lot of copies.

enzo_gt said:

Retailers are already asking for more shipments, that's why. That means they're either already out or nearly out.

Orayn

Tallshortman said:
Retailers are already asking for more shipments, that's why. That means they're either already out or nearly out.
No man, they're secretly ditching all the copies in back alleys, or burying them in landfills like E.T. for the Atari 2600. That's how evil EA is.

Revenant

Impressive stuff.

throw away the COD/BF3 dick measuring contest,it's nice to see DICE look like they're are going to get rewarded for a fantastic game.

The graphics/sound/animation all combine to make multiplayer quite the experience.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
If only they didn't have control issues on PS3? isit really that distracting for a casual gamer? I'm playing on PC.

UberTag

I applaud this news if it leads to PAIN for Bobby and company.
If it only leads to gamers playing TWO military FPSes for the next 12 months instead of just one to the absolute exclusion of other good titles? Meh, I'll shrug my shoulders in indifference.

At least EA will do something worthwhile with the money instead of throwing expensive concerts and going to war with their breadwinning franchise's developer.

Beats

subversus said:
If only they didn't have control issues on PS3? isit really that distracting for a casual gamer? I'm playing on PC.

It's kind of annoying, and took a while to get used to. Here's a vid (not mine) showing it: link

It doesn't make shooting "near impossible" like the person says in the description though.

KdoubleA

bigboss370 said:

dear god O_O

1226208.jpg

lol just got done with that part on PC; all Ultra...Yep, that was my face alright!

Ardenyal

subversus said:
It's not really an issue if you have played any other shooters than CoD. Not that hard to get used to the non-linear acceleration.

subversus

Beats said:
It's kind of annoying, and took a while to get used to. Here's a vid (not mine) showing it: link

It doesn't make shooting "near impossible" like the person says in the description though.

Well, that's unfortunate.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
subversus said:
Man, fuck off, I have asked the question, if you can't answer it go shit up some other thread.
JWong was re-posting demize99's response to a PS3 user reporting control issues to his Twitter account.

The answer is yes, it's really annoying even to casual users.

subversus

Ardenyal said:
It's not really an issue if you have played any other shooters than CoD. Not that hard to get used to the non-linear acceleration.

Well, the thing is that it is a casual player I'm talking about. Other people will be fine and get their fix soon. They will wait.

subversus

SapientWolf said:
JWong was re-posting demize99's response to a PS3 user reporting control issues to his Twitter account.

The answer is yes, it's really annoying to even casual users.

Lol, I didn't catch it. I forgot about that twitter drama. My apologies to JWong.

Dandruff5

Neo Member
bigboss370 said:
how many they shipped indicates how much money EA/DICE are making.

Short term, maybe. But if a bunch of those copies sit at retail for a month or two and they have to drop the price then you get hit with a big chunk of contra-revenue.

Or if they're spending a lot in retail marketing to get those copies into stores, that's another case where your net revenue does not correlate as closely to units shipped.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nirolak said:
The faster things get crowded out, the faster people will work on making new business models to sell their games.

Given that XBLA sales are vastly dying down as well, I suspect we will see some changes rather soon.

Or we could just end up with a toxic market, a bunch of dead pubs and devs and get microtransactioned and preorder bonused up the ass.

Top Bottom