• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Ships Over 10 Million Copies In First Week, [5 Mil Sold First Week]

LuchaShaq

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Omg I can't wait for moh2!!

Step it up to tier 1 ftw!!!

Read giant bomb and eat munchos

...wut? You mean the same giant bomb that gave moh a bad review and made fun of how meto/broken it was in a quicklook? The same site that didn't have any battlefield/cod game in their goty discussions since the first MW.

Not sure if you're trolling the right site or actually no clue whats going on here...

Khal_B

Uriah said:
I wonder if PC sales were hurt since the game wasn't on Steam.

I wouldn't doubt it. I had to convince some of my friends to get it because they were adamant that "no Steam, no buy".

Noshino

Glad that it paid off. While I know there are some things to be fixed, this is DICE, they ll come through.

Derrick01 said:
But why do that when EA can just charge you for it. 10 million users is a lot of potential map money.

Uh, easy. What's the best way to hurt MW3? Now that the game has been released and they have a userbase of 10 million, the best they can do is keep most of them playing BF3 instead of wanting to go get MW3.

What's the best way to accomplish that? more content..... specially free (or dirty cheap) content

Hulud

DICE deserves it. I just had a fucking blast for 2 hours straight on Operation Firestorm and Caspian Border.

Jtrizzy

Happy for the success, but I want support. The game is great, but it needs work. Patches for all platforms, and reasonably priced expansion packs.

Stitch

Gold Member
Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
It not being on Steam doesn't prevent it from working on anyone's computer.

Well, yes it does lol

4F6oA.png

sk4K2.png

JWong

Banned
Noshino said:
Glad that it paid off. While I know there are some things to be fixed, this is DICE, they ll come through.

Uh, easy. What's the best way to hurt MW3? Now that the game has been released and they have a userbase of 10 million, the best they can do is keep most of them playing BF3 instead of wanting to go get MW3.

What's the best way to accomplish that? more content..... specially free (or dirty cheap) content
Karkland release the day of MW3 releases.

No one should be surprised the console versions sold more. If you've been paying attention to this past 5 years it was a forgone conclusion.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Meus Renaissance said:
So why am I only seeing 7 pages of servers with 90% of them full as it is EA?

Happened to me as well, but I toggled server browser to every region and voila! Lots of games being filled up, though your ping won't be as good.

Orayn

Dandruff5 said:
Short term, maybe. But if a bunch of those copies sit at retail for a month or two and they have to drop the price then you get hit with a big chunk of contra-revenue.

Or if they're spending a lot in retail marketing to get those copies into stores, that's another case where your net revenue does not correlate as closely to units shipped.
They got re-orders. Large numbers of copies are not sitting around unsold.
CatPee said:
100 MILLION COPIES SHIPPED
Activision announces CoDLand, a micro-nation based entirely on quickscoping and strawberry jelly.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Tallshortman said:
I feel like most people said SP was good. I've personally said that it and CoD4 are the best military shooter SP games of this gen. The problem was that it was relatively short and Multiplayer was uninspired. The thing is, didn't DICE do MoH MP? I guess they used it as a sort of experiment since BF3 and BC2 were vastly superior MP wise.

GraveRobberX said:
I know I maybe in the minority, but the SP was really good, the MP was barebones

I was joking when I said Danger Close should do SP for BF3 due to DICE helping with the MP in MOH, maybe they should've?

I'm already growing my Tier 1 beard back =D

I really liked MoH's SP and MP. Multiplayer had a ton of bugs, could use more maps, more diverse support actions, but the overall game mechanic was alright.

I want to see the improvements they're planning on MoH 2.

Also, MP for MoH was done by DICE but by a junior team. Led by Sibben, from what I know. They were supposed to be doing that so they can be entrusted with bigger projects or something from what I remember.

BC2 also had a different project lead. BF3 had Lars Gustavvson, of course.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I read this over on twitter and wow! DICE must be doing cartwheels in the office now.

10 mil and the game is already getting re-orders? So, 3 mil from pre-orders and maybe a couple of million walk-ins? Very impressive stuff.

So, can anyone confirm if the numbers include digital sales? I think this number reflects those countries/regions where the game isn't released yet, but for re-orders, they're not part yet. Which makes the number even more impressive.

The game deserves it in my opinion. Not sure where all this hate is coming from to be honest.

Also, I'm one of the few (many?) of people not getting CoD this year due to BF3. I can only play one MP game at a time and I have other games I need to finish. So, it's BF3 for me. Wonder how big the cannibalization rate is?

Side note, what is this problem with the aiming for PS3 I keep hearing about? I certainly don't see or "feel" it...

Great numbers. The BF and COD battle will be closer than anyone thought. I think BF is eating into the COD base, but COD will still sell more. Now, does that mean we will get a new BF game annually?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
BruiserBear said:
No one should be surprised the console versions sold more. If you've been paying attention to this past 5 years it was a forgone conclusion.

I would wait for another shareholders meeting for hard numbers because they haven't released it in Europe by the time they issued that statement and they have only preorder figures from there which are much lower than sales usually. Europe is a PC land, there were more players playing on PC than consoles when Europe bought BFBC2 but then people in America woke up and numbers evened out. It's not a question that consoles outsold PC combined, I'm more interested if PC version outsold PS3 version like it did with BFBC2.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I never understood why you would report shipped numbers. But I suppose it already counts as being sold to the retailer. But what happens if 5 million of those copies don't get sold? Or amy I misinterpreting what these figures represent?

Bazhard

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I guess Pachter might want to back off of his prediction of MW3 doubling BF3's sales this year.
Pachter needs to back off all predictions, because he's always wrong.

Sure.. he will get "close" to a few predictions but a broken clock is always right twice a day right? i saw large BF3 sales coming mostly due to people are getting tired of COD and BF2 was a HUGE game.

excaliburps said:
I really liked MoH's SP and MP. Multiplayer had a ton of bugs, could use more maps, more diverse support actions, but the overall game mechanic was alright.

I want to see the improvements they're planning on MoH 2.

Also, MP for MoH was done by DICE but by a junior team. Led by Sibben, from what I know. They were supposed to be doing that so they can be entrusted with bigger projects or something from what I remember.

BC2 also had a different project lead. BF3 had Lars Gustavvson, of course.

MoH really needed a killcam. It would have dramatically reduced camping.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
henhowc said:
I never understood why you would report shipped numbers. But I suppose it already counts as being sold to the retailer. But what happens if 5 million of those copies don't get sold? Or amy I misinterpreting what these figures represent?

It's been mentioned a few times already, but retailers are placing re-orders. So the likelihood that there are 3-5 mil just sitting on store shelves are pretty slim.

Also, not every region has seen the game released.

Pie Lord

Beam said:
Great numbers. The BF and COD battle will be closer than anyone thought. I think BF is eating into the COD base, but COD will still sell more. Now, does that mean we will get a new BF game annually?
EA has already said they don't plan on making Battlefield an annual franchise. Last I heard, they plan on rotating between Medal of Honor and Battlefield every year.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Bazhard said:
Pachter needs to back off all predictions, because he's always wrong.

Sure.. he will get "close" to a few predictions but a broken clock is always right twice a day right? i saw large BF3 sales coming mostly due to people are getting tired of COD and BF2 was a HUGE game.

Most analysts, even the best ones, are wrong most of the time. I don't know why you guys are always harping on the guy. He's pretty self-deprecating, pokes fun at himself, and also openly admits when he's wrong.

Pachter could very well be right a year later after all the dust has settled.

FStop7

Banned
snack said:
Define landslide.

I bet we'll see 30% higher sales of MW3.

I have no personal preference for either game. I own BF3 and I will own MW3 on day 1. BF3's apparent success is great news to me because hopefully that means it will remain a viable multiplayer game with lots of active players for a long time, but the MW franchise is a juggernaut.

Jtrizzy said:
Happy for the success, but I want support. The game is great, but it needs work. Patches for all platforms, and reasonably priced expansion packs.

This. If BF3 doesn't get patched up and then receive solid support afterward, or if DICE just bails on supporting the game after 2 months in order to focus everything on MOH2, then I will never buy another DICE game. There is _no_ good reason to make Battlefield an annual franchise.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
MoH really needed a killcam. It would have dramatically reduced camping.

Yeah, I'm one of those snipers that got really annoying...by that, I mean I get about 40-50 kills in a round of Combat Mission easily. :)

henhowc said:
I suppose this explains why they are having those server issues.

Funnily enough, whenever a new region releases, seems like servers get borked. We were playing fine a first when we were the only ones (Asia) with the game. But when it got released in the US, server got messy...same with EU launch.

Must be one of the reasons for server stability.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
HK-47 said:
Or we could just end up with a toxic market, a bunch of dead pubs and devs and get microtransactioned and preorder bonused up the ass.
Where only the ones who have the cash to flood stores with copies and adverts will succeed.

I can't say this is a good thing for the industry.

Majanew

Banned
No word on the first 24 hours? Black Ops holds the record. Does that mean BF3 didn't beat it since the numbers weren't given? Only took like 2 days to get Black Ops 24 hour sales.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Majanew said:
No word on the first 24 hours? Black Ops holds the record. Does that mean BF3 didn't beat it since the numbers weren't given? Only took like 2 days to get Black Ops 24 hour sales.

Didn't BLOPS do WW release? right off the bat, I mean BF3 is being released intermittently. no?

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Majanew said:

I think Blops did a simultaneous worldwide release if I'm not mistaken.

Even if it didn't, that's still very impressive. Looks like EA's on the right track if they want to beat CoD. Heck, they did it with FIFA and PES, no?

I am hoping they don't milk the BF franchise though. Which seems like there's a good possibility they will if indeed it sells this good. Suits will want another one ASAP.

CozMick

Banned
The way the EA servers are being handled about 6 million of those copies will be traded for MW3 in a few days :|

Pissing me right off :'(

hamchan

Pie Lord said:
EA has already said they don't plan on making Battlefield an annual franchise. Last I heard, they plan on rotating between Medal of Honor and Battlefield every year.
I dunno about their strategy. Medal of Honor did well but it ain't no CoD or BF in terms of sales.

Symphonic

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Probably not.

It not being on Steam doesn't prevent it from working on anyone's computer.

Yeah, because I've totally been playing it for the past three days and haven't constantly been getting a logging error.

Top Bottom