• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 runs at 720p native [DICE: Incorrect]

So even though DICE is saying "not true", they don't know yet what the final resolution is going to be. If the over/under is 900p, I'm still betting on the under.

Man, there are so many good quotes from 2005 and 2006.

Phil Harrison said:
As you well know, the Xbox 360 doesn't play high definition movies and doesn't have true HD functionality - PlayStation 3 is the only format that has 1080-progressive, which is the true definition of HD, so it's really premature to be talking about the HD era.

The HD era really only starts when we are on the market,

zoukka

I'm pretty sure your Wii u has plenty of 720p games.

Was I talking about the Wii U? I'm not expecting the impossible out of any given platform here :b

If your main reason for being interested in BF4 is because you would like a good multiplayer game for launch, then it would be a massive disservice to yourself to skip out on this game because of its native resolution. The game will still look good, but more importantly, its going to be one hell of an experience to play. I recently picked up PC gaming and am experiencing 64 player Battlefield at 60fps for the first time and its sooooo good for reasons other than the improvement in resolution.

I have options. Killzone and CoD don't give a boner or anything, but neither does BF4. I'm sure one of them will deliver the performance and IQ.

But in the end you are right that my expectations for launch titles are probably too high.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Weak CPU -> Some GPU resources need to be reserved for GPGPU duties -> less GPU resources available for graphics -> 720p
So DICE is misusing GPGPU by reserving CU's and have implemented GPGPU functionality while their devkit would have created performance bottlenecks in this case, as for the majority of their development time up to very recently they didn't have had access to a devkit where GPGPU would have been feasible latency wise.

Does that mean that we'll see a major boost in performance on the latest devkit revisions and thus retail units?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why all the questions about the PS4 version but I can't see any about the Xbox version? Was that not shown at gamescom?

I have options. Killzone and CoD don't give a boner or anything, but neither does BF4. I'm sure one of them will deliver the performance and IQ.

Killzone is a game I would play online for a couple of weeks, BF4 is a game I would play online for a couple of years.

You can put lipstick on a pig but it doesn't make it a worthwhile online shooter.

ufo8mycat

Blah blah KZ on PS4 looks amazing blah blah.

I couldn't care if it looked 2x better then Crysis 3 on ULTRA, the gameplay in KZ is boring as hell, at least it was in KZ2,KZ3, I don't expect KZ Shadow Fall to be any different.

Gameplay > Graphics

badb0y

I can't believe some people here thought the PC and console versions would have parity. Gaming PC nowadays are much stronger than the PS4 and the Xbox One.

DICE themselves ran BF4 demos on 2x HD 7990s. Each 7990 has 8.2 teraflops of proccessing power so basically they were running on 16.4 teraflops.

Compare that to the PS4's 1.84 teraflops and you will understand why BF4 is being visually downgraded on the consoles.

Hollow

I can't believe some people here thought the PC and console versions would have parity. Gaming PC nowadays are much stronger than the PS4 and the Xbox One.

DICE themselves ran BF4 demos on 2x HD 7990s. Each 7990 has 8.2 teraflops of proccessing power so basically they were running on 16.4 teraflops.

Compare that to the PS4's 1.84 teraflops and you will understand why BF4 is being visually downgraded on the consoles.

7970s actually.

Screenshot%20from%202013-08-22%2017:09:54.png

QaaQer

This won't be the only major FPS franchise to run at 720p on consoles so be ready gaf.

yup. These consoles are designed to not lose money from the get-go. No way are we getting balls to the wall hardware like 2006. So, longest generation followed by a small-ish power bump. :-(

Imagine if Sony was releasing an $800 BOM machine again in 2013 but designed by Cerney...oh to dream.

riflen

Some of the battlefield 4 footage you've seen was downscaled from a much higher resolution with multiple 7990s.

These consoles aren't being sold for profit btw

True. The "Fishing in Baku" reveal was played at 3k resolution using 2 x 7990s. At E3 and gamescom players got to use machines with 2 x 7970s.

At this point DICE themselves may not even know what the final resolution will be. They do have quite a bit of leeway in terms of what to pick considering they could pick a res somewhere between 720p and 1080p and let upscaling take care of the rest. I wouldn't hold out hope for 1080p, I really don't think it'll happen, but I'd say a resolution above 720p is very likely.

It doesn't look to me like it's false at all based on that twitter.

He's trying to weasel out of it but it seems it's not running at 1080p at all right now and that they hope it'll run at something higher at release.

It'll be funny to see what the console optimisation and 8GB ram crowd will say if at release it turns out to just perform like a 7850 afterall.

People should stop comparing ps4 to similarly spec'ed pc. A system is more than sum of its parts. If not, every pc with the same CPU and graphics card should perform exact same, right?
:D here's a taste already...

Sakura

Dang. May as well just get a new GPU for my PC then. Really disappointing that BF4 can't run at 1080p on the PS4, though it is to be expected I guess considering the specs.

p3tran

Banned
Unfinished game on £350 console doesn't match up to Ultra PC settings. I wonder why.

I am pretty sure that DICE having proven already to have a team of strong coders, they went to the "strip out what is not needed" phase, waaaay before they started looking at lowering rendering resolutions.
so, talking about "pc ultra settings", in the way pc ultra settings are meant, really does not make much sense.

It doesn't look to me like it's false at all based on that twitter.

He's trying to weasel out of it but it seems it's not running at 1080p at all right now and that they hope it'll run at something higher at release.

It'll be funny to see what the console optimisation and 8GB ram crowd will say if at release it turns out to just perform like a 7850 afterall.

:D here's a taste already, mmm mmm mmmm

So it is running at 720p? Or is he not wrong?

Reallink

The OP (with apparent Dice sources) seems to confirm 720p at present and sub-1080p for launch, but lot of people in this thread are saying it's bullshit? I have no idea what's going on in here. Is this PS3.5 or not?

riflen

I am pretty sure that DICE having proven already to have a team of strong coders, they went to the "strip out what is not needed" phase, waaaay before they started looking at lowering rendering resolutions.
so, talking about "pc ultra settings", in the way pc ultra settings are meant, really does not make much sense.

It makes zero sense. DICE said BF3 on PS360 had settings that resembled PC on "low". I believe this was 720p at 30fps.
It's not a leap to summise from this that all things considered we might see BF4 on PS4 resembling PC "medium" to "high" settings, but "ultra"? No-one with a brain would think that.

If they didn't tapped out then it would running 1080p?
Literal sense that is.

I get it you probably mean after 3 years op optimizing code/assets more smoke and mirrors you can do more effects.

But when heavy hitters like bf4 cant reach 1080p its not an good sign of things to come.
More devs will make the excuse bf4 did it to achieve those graphics what can we give up to do the same given how copy past this industry is.

Are you familiar with console launches? Every launch there are games with spotty graphics and worse performance, and this isn't exclusive to shitty developers either, this is due to deadlines and resource restrictions of working with new hardware.

It's not tapped out because it's not optimized. It's that simple. I don't know why you're lumping in "optimization" with "smoke and mirrors" because the two aren't even close to each other. You can cripple any computer system of any capacity by rendering a single cube via code if you're so inclined. Optimization becomes better as years progress, and if the game wasn't built from ground up for that specific hardware you're not going to get the same performance out of it as one that has.

BF4 not reaching 1080p on the PS4 means nothing when we're talking about launch titles. Anyone trying to extrapolate console performance from one cross-gen multiplatform game at launch is kidding themselves or is trying to push an agenda.

RaijinFY

yup. These consoles are designed to not lose money from the get-go. No way are we getting balls to the wall hardware like 2006. So, longest generation followed by a small-ish power bump. :-(

Imagine if Sony was releasing an $800 BOM machine again in 2013 but designed by Cerney...oh to dream.

The 2005-2006 machines werent balls to the wall contrary to popular belief... If anything they were (especially in PS3 case) poorly designed, with extremely expensive component which drove production and retail prices up. One has to look at how many sub-HD we got during this gen.

Are you familiar with console launches? Every launch there are games with spotty graphics and worse performance, and this isn't exclusive to shitty developers either, this is due to deadlines and resource restrictions of working with new hardware.

It's not tapped out because it's not optimized. It's that simple. I don't know why you're lumping in "optimization" with "smoke and mirrors" because the two aren't even close to each other. You can cripple any computer system of any capacity by rendering a single cube via code if you're so inclined. Optimization becomes better as years progress, and if the game wasn't built from ground up for that specific hardware you're not going to get the same performance out of it as one that has.

BF4 not reaching 1080p on the PS4 means nothing when we're talking about launch titles. Anyone trying to extrapolate console performance from one cross-gen multiplatform game at launch is kidding themselves or is trying to push an agenda.

Its DICE they are not new to x86 or GCN architecture of the gpu.
They are also not new to multicore programming.

Current had a very big paradigm shifts in multicore cpu.
Most launch titles were even single core engines if im not mistaken i remember multiplat devs even skipping the spe at launch sony also had shitty developers tools back then.

Now no really exotic paradigm shifts like multicore cpu and gpgpu looks like spu programming from what i heard about spu code and i bet most devs tinkered with gpgpu in their free time with opengl or dx11.

majik13

LOL I dont think you know squat about either game's multiplayer aside from what resolution they run at.

Or at the very least your ignorance definitely is heavy on BF's side.

yeah comments like that are pretty ridiculous. Do people think that just because they are both fps that they are exactly the same game? BF games have much much more going on than just shooting guns.

Dr. Light

True. The "Fishing in Baku" reveal was played at 3k resolution using 2 x 7990s. At E3 and gamescom players got to use machines with 2 x 7970s.

It was one 7990.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-reveal-tech-analysis

All this you can inevitably expect from the PC version running on a cutting-edge setup. Following the GDC demo, AMD was keen to let the world know that this play-through had been powered by its flagship tri-slot Radeon HD 7990. Costing in the region of £700 this is clearly super-enthusiast territory, with the game harnessing the card's two GPU cores clocked to 1000MHz and 925MHz, taking command of a colossal 6GB of GDDR5.

2x 7990 is using four GPUs and is complete overkill. Considering that 2x 7970 is enough to max out BF3 at 1080p/120fps (and 3x 7970 is enough to run at 1440p/120+fps, trust me I've done it), 3k/60fps should be doable.

Pop

So it's not 720p, interesting. Hopefully they reach 1080p before launch, if not I'm still fine with it.

Prologue

I think people would be pretty happy if it ran like BF3 at 1080p/60fps. I don't see how thats a lot to ask for but then again, I'm not a developer.

Its DICE they are not new to x86 or GCN architecture of the gpu.
They are also not new to multicore programming.

Current had a very big paradigm shifts in multicore cpu.
Most launch titles were even single core engines if im not mistaken i remember multiplat devs even skipping the spe at launch sony also had shitty developers tools back then.

Now no really exotic paradigm shifts like multicore cpu and gpgpu looks like spu programming from what i heard about spu code and i bet most devs tinkered with gpgpu in their free time with opengl or dx11.

New hardware is new hardware and code must be optimized for it. As "off the shelf" as Sony is trying to paint the PS4 the simple fact is that a developer working on a new platform must have some time to get acclimated to it. With DICE having to support as many platforms as they are it's really no surprise that there are performance issues such as these, but it's ridiculous to call this a problem with the console hardware itself this early in the generation.

Let me repeat, this is one cross-gen multiplatform title. If you think BF4's current performance tells you the hardware itself has issues I don't know what to tell you.

Top Bottom