• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Monocle

I need some help here. I played and enjoyed the first Bayonetta back when it came out. I'm currently on chapter 7 of Bayonetta 2, but I still don't feel like I have a good grasp of many of the mechanics. I mean this in the sense that I don't always know when these huge enemies are vulnerable to attacks, so much is going on that it can be tough to understand and decipher the battlefield and what I can pull off.

Is this intentional, in that I should be prepared to replay these fights and have a better understanding of them?

I also feel like I'm well into the game at this point but so much is still locked in the way of equipment and moves. Is that also a function of the focus on going back to replay and perfect encounters?

A primer or a guide to the fundamentals of the game would be great.
See Saur's Umbran Arts series. He's still covering the first game, but everything still applies.

Also check out YoshesqueSA's channel for guides to things like dodge offset and earning pure platinums.

I love all the concept art in the gallery, they really put every little thing on the disc.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ymdc9.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ucdz0.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01waek6.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0165dh2.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01befit.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01utea1.jpg

Chapter XV spoiler: http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_010qdhi.jpg

Formless

MoogleWizard, do you mind uploading more of those background concept images? Been trying to find those for wallpaper material, but the Platinum blog has only uploaded character art.

MoogleWizard, do you mind uploading more of those background concept images? Been trying to find those for wallpaper material, but the Platinum blog has only uploaded character art.

Here's some more:

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01vsikb.jpg

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01jgd3j.jpg

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ttd38.jpg

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01r3d1r.jpg

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_017ee4u.jpg

Bonus, the most beautiful wolf in a game yet:

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Aaand I've reached the Gates of Hell

ibcXrygcO06WFa.jpg

Can't wait to see what's going to happen :D

Just beat the game on 2nd climax.

Overall I thought it was quite a bit better than Bayo 1, even if it was easier and the story was way less epic.

Minigames were generally way more fun, lack of instadeath QTE's is a major improvement. I actually didn't die once the entire playthrough....whereas I got stone medals on almost every single chapter in Bayo 1 due to QTE's and some more confusing bosses

Lack of enemy repetition was nice as well. Biggest detractor for Bayo 1 for me (besides instadeath QTE's) was constantly fighting Grace and Glory every two seconds. Obviously enemies do repeat in Bayo 2 but you don't feel like the game is just recycling encounters.

Switching between swords and bow is INCREDIBLE by the way. Looking forward to replaying and unlocking more weapons and such that I missed. (Not sure if I'll like any other combinations as much though)

Just beat the game and I have to say it was one of the finest action games I played in the last few years. The ending was not as disappoiting as I was afraid it would be, after reading some of the comments here. Can't decide which of the two Bayonettas is better. The first one felt so fresh and kind of different with this strong female main character who is chopping up some angels but the second entry is overall the better game experience. It feels more polished and even more over the top action wise without loosing the focus of the controls or the gameplay itself.
I would just say that it was an wonderful experience on par with the first one and know I do hope we will get a third part to finish the trilogy.

Curufinwe

Missing so many verses sucks. I swear I'm looking everywhere for them, but I missed 4 out of 10 on the last chapter. Chapter 9, I think.

Still it's nice to just play the game the first time without using any guide at all. I'm on 2nd Climax and don't think I've died yet. It's much easier than B1 on Normal.

LocalE

I've been having a blast with this game. It's pretty awesome.

I'm workin on beating Rodin and Witch Trials V - that's good stuff. After that I'll probly work on Platinum trophies for Infinite Climax, then I can start workin on Pure Platinums for all the spots on the results screen. I've got a few already, but overall Pure Plats aren't something that ever happens accidentally for me - I have to go in with the intention to get it, it seems.

For a while now I've been running Chernobog and the Chain Chomp. That shit is so fun! Just absolutely wrecks shit. Salamandras on hands and feet for my "B" weapons slot.
It would be pretty awesome if you could specify different accessories to go with each set of weapons, too. Usually I'd run the same accessories for both sets, but sometimes it'd be nice to be able to switch to something else with a button press. Oh well, maybe in the sequel, I suppose, heh.

Another thing for the sequel, maybe they could implement Parry Offset? If they could find a way to do it that wasn't just stupidly overpowered, I'd be all for it.

Tag Climax has been a lot of fun, though I do wish that you could take 2 sets of weapons with you in that like you can in story mode. That'd rule.
Also it'd rule if so many people didn't play Rosa while betting 3 stars on everything and needing to be revived all the damn time.

My biggest disappointment so far with this game is that there is only the one unlockable difficulty level. I think it needed a Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode unlockable after Infinite Climax, is what I mean.

Golnei

Bonus, the most beautiful wolf in a game yet:

That's still not quite the case.

tumblr_neolc1frEp1rwrmseo1_1280.jpg

Yeah, I'm also missing some Infinite Climax mixes from Nintendo games much like they did for SEGA games in the first one. That and the little use of the excellent Moon River remix. Would've been great if you could set tracks that get chosen at random for the regular battles and tag climax just to add some variety.

A manual music selection would have been a great addition, especially considering the number of fantastic pieces that only play in limited circumstances, doubly so for the returning tracks - most people don't even notice Blood and Darkness is in the game. It's not quite as frustrating as the inability to use the Masked Lumen and Rodin in Witch Trials, but it's still a case of an arbitrary limitation preventing people from fully enjoying the amount of work put into the game.

As for Nintendo Climax Mixes, though they would have also been wonderful to have, it's understandable for them to be absent with so much new music written for the game. Though an arrangement of the SNES Corneria theme for Chapter 16 would have been perfect...

Looking back, I think Bayonetta 2 peaked too early on.

Chapters XIII - X felt like they could have been buildup to the finale, with the way they make you alternate between fighting demons and angels, and how chapter X is probably the hardest chapter in the game. The next two chapters are really climactic, with Jeanne getting rescued and Balder revealing himself. I think those things should have happened later, because after that, the pacing just sort of... drops off. The next three chapters are spent doing stuff that's completely irrelevant to the plot, and it feels like they were added just to pad things out. The Bayo 1 throwback should have lasted for one chapter, so that the next two chapters could be spent building up to the finale. Also, the final boss needed at least one more form, with Balder contributing more to the fight.

I actually had no problem with the pacing until the second half of chapter 16. The
return to Vigrid
offset the well-executed climaxes of
Jeanne's rescue and Balder's unmasking
immediately prior, and offered a chance to let the main narrative rest for a while as the backstory took focus - allowing us to play actually enjoyable encounters
against the Auditio
and fight against
nearly every angel from the first game with the second's refined mechanics

If there were a labyrinthine, Ithavoll Building-esque
Fimbulventr chapter
succeeding it, to ease back into the main plot and build up to the finale,
the flashbacks
would have worked perfectly even with their extended length. They wouldn't necessarily have had to create all that much in the way of new assets, either - a structure similar to The Gates of Hell, where progress through a single new area is interspersed with fragments of Paradiso and Inferno created with recycled assets - could have worked well, allowing a last clash with all the game's enemies as well as Labolas and Joy while laboriously ascending to the final battlefield.

its as good as the first imo, the problem i had is that the story is unfocused and the dialogue slighty worse,too much swearing compared to the first.

The only specific issue I had with the dialogue was
"daddy"
, but I do agree that the script seemed to lack a little of the first's personality. With some better actors and characterisation, Loki and especially
Aesir
could have been much more engaging - the latter was missing all of the charisma that made characters like Balder, Armstrong and the Black Baron such entertaining antagonists. Even Zaitsev had more personality.

His visual design and actual gameplay implementation were still solid, though. For some reason, I feel like the narrative would have been greatly benefited by a scene of him attempting to drink wine through a bendy straw poking into
his transparent body napkin
, a la Fatman.

Corgi

Banned
i might be crazy, but the improvements of the 'default loadout' might be my favorite setup.

so easy to keep combos going and offset.

I remember switching to the sword right away in 1.

Xemnas89

I've beat this on 2nd and 3rd climax over the last week. This game is absolutely incredible and might just be my favorite game in the genre. It feels like they took all the good stuff from the first and cut all the fat then polished it to near perfection.

Corgi

Banned
Is there still stone?

I feel like im dying about the same about as bayo 1 lol. (although i played that on normal and started this on climax 3).

NEO0MJ

Finally fought Rodin again a few more times after unlocking him a couple of days ago and I still can't beat him. Maybe I should start using more accessories...
Is there still stone?

I feel like im dying about the same about as bayo 1 lol. (although i played that on normal and started this on climax 3).

Yeah, but most people seem to score higher in this game overall.

Akiller

Chap XVI,now playing the
Jetfight Assault
part for the first time

I feel i've already played this...
on board the Virgin Victory

mantidor

I couldn't wait to unlock everything in Bayonetta 1(is too much) so I just started this one. The framerate drops caught me offguard at first, but the game is beautiful anyway. It seems easier than Bayonetta 1 in order to get silver or gold, but it feels way harder to get platinum and pure platinum. Love that muspelheims are more abundant than alfheims and have a far more decent difficulty curve. In Bayo 1 the first alfheim was merciless, so I welcome this.

2nd climax feels way, way easier than Bayo 1 normal. I swear the bosses are all cake walks with the general stage trash being far more irritating on this difficulty. Gonna wrap it up first, then move onto 3rd now that I've warmed up and gotten back into the swing of things.

Am I just nuts, or is Love is Blue just the best feeling loadout? So far, all the other weapons don't seem to work too well together, or have great synergy but are slow as hell.

Jintor

2nd climax feels way, way easier than Bayo 1 normal. I swear the bosses are all cake walks with the general stage trash being far more irritating on this difficulty. Gonna wrap it up first, then move onto 3rd now that I've warmed up and gotten back into the swing of things.

Am I just nuts, or is Love is Blue just the best feeling loadout? So far, all the other weapons don't seem to work too well together, or have great synergy but are slow as hell.

Love Is Blue is definitely my fave overall loadout. I'm getting more used to the whips and the clubs/flamethrowers though.

I still think the bow's moveset sucks, but there's not much you can do with trickshots I guess.

danmaku

Of all the new weapons I unlocked so far, the whip is the only one I use all the time. It's much better than the old Kulshedra and has great crowd control, but everything else is a bit underwhelming. The bow sucks and doesn't seem to have good combo potential, Undine is slow but not as powerful as Durga and the flame/ice thrower effect seems weak (cool wicked weave, though). The chainsaws are suuuuper slow. Looking forward to the other hidden weapons!

double whip for crowd control with second set being shuruba and chainsaws on the feet seems to do good for me thus far. still experimenting with a good portion of the weapons. is it me or does the parry window in bayo2 seem way smaller than bayo 1?

mrmickfran

Of all the new weapons I unlocked so far, the whip is the only one I use all the time. It's much better than the old Kulshedra and has great crowd control, but everything else is a bit underwhelming. The bow sucks and doesn't seem to have good combo potential, Undine is slow but not as powerful as Durga and the flame/ice thrower effect seems weak (cool wicked weave, though). The chainsaws are suuuuper slow. Looking forward to the other hidden weapons!

You're not using the chainsaws correctly :0

Wait, until you get the Chernobog :D

Jintor

Played a little Bayo 1. It actually feels... kind of off now. The timing seems different on even Scaraborough Fair's moveset... I don't feel like I can cancel quite as well as in Bayo 2... it's nuts. Of course, I also got a pro controller, so that's cool too. Getting used to it is nuts but it's way easier to get into that "zone" I used to get into doing endless runs of Angel Slayer in Bayo 1.

Fuck me though Witch Trial 5 is nuts. I thought the Demon and Baby Loptr at the same time were nuts, but then Sage and fucking Naked Floaty Prophet? Fucking INSANE. My synapses can't keep up.

No one?

I'll probably start with one of them tomorrow.

I think is better to start from the first game. Is still awesome and all, but is harder to play after you play Bayonetta 2. Bayonetta 2 is a much polished game and better paced also, is hard to point without playing the first one, but I can assure you is the case.

You'll have a blast playing Bayo 1 and you'll have a blast playing Bayo 2 just after. Also I feel Bayo 1 is a much better introduction to the character, Bayonetta herself is a bit diluted on the second game.

Xun

I think is better to start from the first game. Is still awesome and all, but is harder to play after you play Bayonetta 2. Bayonetta 2 is a much polished game and better paced also, is hard to point without playing the first one, but I can assure you is the case.

You'll have a blast playing Bayo 1 and you'll have a blast playing Bayo 2 just after. Also I feel Bayo 1 is a much better introduction to the character, Bayonetta herself is a bit diluted on the second game.
Thanks, I thought that would be the case.

Bayo 1 it is then!

Finally wrapped up my first run. I need a lot of practice with dodge offset, let me tell you. This is what I get for not getting fully competent with it last time. Pure Plat runs are either a long ways off or several years behind me now :p

I see this being the Mega Man 3 of the series (with Bayo 1 being MM2) - better balanced, better paced, mechanically superior, but hampered by being derivative by necessity and feeling less imaginative because of it. In a funny way, its an even closer analogy than that seeing as how the best fights are 2/3 through, the final stages are a little weak, and its a lot easier.

Still, probably the most pure moment to moment gaming enjoyment for me this year with all the variety and experimentation I expected and desired.

Gonna take a break for a couple days, then jump back in. Looking forward to unlocking a bunch of costumes and stuff and trying to get gud. I see myself replaying this intermittently for a long while.

Regiruler

If you go into tag climax, are you going to be paired with someone who is further in than you have completed in the story?
Also, wtf at
the cutscene near the end of Chapter 9

EDIT: Any particular reason Angel Attack was removed? It was nice filler that helped slow down the pacing a bit.

I thought third was normal.
Eh, the harder difficulty is a good way to up the ante from the original.

I haven't even heard impressions of the LE artbook. Can anyone say if it is much more than what is already included in the in-game concept art gallery?

It's not out yet. However, if it's like the first one: Yes, much more. Lots of background info as well.

Also welcome to community, love.

If you go into tag climax, are you going to be paired with someone who is further in than you have completed in the story?
You end up with whoever is available, so yes pretty likely the other one is further into the story or at this point already completed it. But he can't ramp up the difficulty too much, if you're behind a bit. Not sure if this is based on the HP bar or story mode.

Regiruler

You end up with whoever is available, so yes pretty likely the other one is further into the story or at this point already completed it. But he can't ramp up the difficulty too much, if you're behind a bit. Not sure if this is based on the HP bar or story mode.

I was more concerned with verses being picked from portions I haven't played yet.

The heavy-hitter weapons typically have another mechanic in place to considerably up their damage in favor of speed. The chainsaws (which aren't even that slow) especially end up indiscriminately melting everything in their path and the hammer can be made worthwhile with Dodge Offset + maintaining charges whilst repositioning yourself through Panther Within and if you disable Witch Strike (or the Shoryuken if I got the name wrong), you can rapidly get a lot of damage in with it just by repeating jump -> punch if you're being pressured. The latter still carries its obvious weaknesses, but the aforementioned three points help make it feel more practical even on Infinite Climax.

Frodo

Love is Blue, is in my opinion, the best weapon in the game.

Easy to build up combos and up the multiplier, it is fast, and deals decent damage with the weaves. I've been enjoying Chain Chomp as well, but just because it deals ridiculous damage and it makes things a little bit TOO easy!

I finished the game yesterday, played in the 3rd Climax from the start, and maybe I'm better at the game, but it does feel easier than Bayonetta on normal. Not a complaint though. It feels fair. And there is still Infinite Climax to play now, so... :)

Top Bottom