• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

IKizzLE

So I have finally unlocked the second tag Climax character
Balder
while playing Tag Climax solo with a CPU. So if I ignored anyone's Tag Climax request, sorry about that.

I really like playing with this character now, shame you can't in the regular story mode.

Anyway, I have unlocked the characters, and beaten 3rd climax. I am probably not good enough for Infinite Climax but I will try a couple of stages.

It's getting to the point that I am ready to shelf Bayonetta 2 temporarily. (Before replaying it next year). Maybe I will move on to a completely different experience (like Bayo 1 lol).

Get all 50 Bewitchments!
Took me 35 hours and now doing it again! (Game save corrupted)

Still so much fun to play.

There has been some new blog posts about the game, kinda interesting
http://platinumgames.com/blog/

But this was moved to community, so no one will see them...

As a software engineer myself and the one to program a fairly complex Android app's automated test suite (which was surprisingly fun, although due to time constraints is not a priority in my company and therefore hopelessly outdated now), this article was quite interesting. Pretty much what I imagined such tests would be like in a game. Thanks for the link! :)

IKizzLE

How did it get corrupted?

is there a way to back up Wii U saves?

Using an external hdd and digital copy. External hdd stopped communicating with the system. Couldn't copy my data or move it to the internal wii u Hdd. Formatted the external to see if it would help, it didn't. Ended up just buying a new external and its time to 100% bayo again. Not looking forward to freezing 40 enemy types again....smh.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Replay Bayonetta 2 on 3rd climax or play Bayonetta? The choices in life.

Apenheul

I finished Bayonetta 1 and 2 back to back, what a trip and props to PlatinumGames for outdoing themselves. Bayo 1 was already one of my favorite games of all time and the sequel improved on it in nearly every way possible. Bayonetta 2's controls are a little more responsive which makes the action flow noticably better. The art direction in some of the chapters is among the best I've seen, the progression feels just right with less fillter than the first game and mostly gone are the QTEs that instantly kill you.

For better or worse, it definitely feels like a sequel and not so much a next-gen reboot. It boosts many more graphical effects than the original, sometimes to the point where I thought I was watching a prerendered cutscene until Bayonetta was losing health. But it also looked pretty uneven at times, the better looking parts can compete with some of the best looking PS4/XBO scenes but at the same time other parts look worse than most of Bayonetta 1 and I didn't care much for the chapters in hell. Still to me Bayo 2 represents the pinnacle of the genre for now but hopefully we'll see more from PlatinumGames or perhaps a new DMC.

Curufinwe

I'm glad no one spoiled these for me:

The DMC homages like Phantasm-whatever.

The plane sequence. I was sure there were no vehicle segments for some reason.

GC|Simon

Short question to those who know both games: I haven't ever played a Bayonetta title so far. I'm thinking about getting the double pack for Wii U. With which game should I start? The first one or the sequel?
Note: I'm not a gerne expert. So I would prefer the more accessible one.

NEO0MJ

Short question to those who know both games: I haven't ever played a Bayonetta title so far. I'm thinking about getting the double pack for Wii U. With which game should I start? The first one or the sequel?
Note: I'm not a gerne expert. So I would prefer the more accessible one.

You can play the original on easy to learn the battle system and the backstory then move on to 2 and play it on third climax.

Golnei

You can play the original on easy to learn the battle system and the backstory then move on to 2 and play it on third climax.

I'm not sure that's necessarily the best idea - the automatic aspect of 1's easy mode would leave them completely unprepared for 3rd Climax mode being slightly more difficult than Bayonetta 1's normal. It might be better to begin the first on normal to see how easily it comes to them, then proceed to the sequel on 2nd Climax if they found the first game's easy mode to be a necessity.

NEO0MJ

I'm not sure that's necessarily the best idea - the automatic aspect of 1's easy mode would leave them completely unprepared for 3rd Climax mode being slightly more difficult than Bayonetta 1's normal. It might be better to begin the first on normal to see how easily it comes to them, then proceed to the sequel on 2nd Climax if they found the first game's easy mode to be a necessity.

Oh, we can't turn off auto combos? I didn't play it personally but I thought that was optional. Thing is Normal difficulty Bayonetta is still kinda hard.

Golnei

Oh, we can't turn off auto combos? I didn't play it personally but I thought that was optional. Thing is Normal difficulty Bayonetta is still kinda hard.

Bayonetta on normal is still reasonably challenging; but by disregarding the scoring system and using as many items and continues as necessary, it shouldn't be difficult for anyone to power through even with limited experience. The biggest source of frustration would probably be the notorious instant-death QTEs in the early chapters, but they subside quickly enough, and should be less frustrating if the player doesn't care about their score.

Monocle

I'm glad no one spoiled these for me:

The DMC homages like Phantasm-whatever.

The plane sequence. I was sure there were no vehicle segments for some reason.
Try that second thing with the Star Fox costume.

Can't you just unequip the Eternal Marionette?

I'm thinking about borrowing this from the library, but am on the fence for lack of a better term.

While I liked the original Bayonetta, I wasn't crazy about it and found that it got a bit repetitive. It was also relatively difficult at points.

Is this one as difficult?

Regiruler

I'm thinking about borrowing this from the library, but am on the fence for lack of a better term.

While I liked the original Bayonetta, I wasn't crazy about it and found that it got a bit repetitive. It was also relatively difficult at points.

You're on the fence on renting it out for free?

Curufinwe

It's significantly easier.

Playing on Third Climax in Bayo 2 after beating Bayo 1 and currently I'm in
Hell
trying to beat
some weird Weapon X reject that summons plants and blocks most attacks...and she's super fast so my shitty dodging skill and arthritis can't keep up, Any tips? I don't have enough for Moon of Maha Kala.

Regiruler

Playing on Third Climax in Bayo 2 after beating Bayo 1 and currently I'm in
Hell
trying to beat
some weird Weapon X reject that summons plants and blocks most attacks...and she's super fast so my shitty dodging skill and arthritis can't keep up, Any tips? I don't have enough for Moon of Maha Kala.

Kafka's poison does extra damage and also slows them a little. It's what I used for the fight, so try it out. Also, when Alraune does her summon do a bullet climax to eliminate them both.

She has a second form, but there's a save point when you reach it.

Kafka's poison does extra damage and also slows them a little. It's what I used for the fight, so try it out. Also, when Alraune does her summon do a bullet climax to eliminate them both.

She has a second form, but there's a save point when you reach it.

Yeah I tried finding all the pieces for the weapons so far but somehow I missed them and I only have Love is Blue, Kushedra(vastly inferior not as cool not Samurai swords from bayo 1), and of course the weird Fire/Ice flamethrower things.

I can't even get passed the level of her green health bar, man...this sucks. I did bullet climaxes quite a bit but I still suck so bad.

Actually the whole
Hell Chapter, has thrown me off my game.

GC|Simon

Thanks for your help, guys. I downloaded the first game from the eShop yesterday. I will probably start to play it later today :)

danmaku

Yeah I tried finding all the pieces for the weapons so far but somehow I missed them and I only have Love is Blue, Kushedra(vastly inferior not as cool not Samurai swords from bayo 1), and of course the weird Fire/Ice flamethrower things.

I have good news for you...
you get the old katana (Shuraba) after beating the game on normal

Akiller

413ddab738.png

Thank you Hashimoto-san!

Frodo

Having re-played Bayonetta on the Wii U, then finished Bayonetta 2 on 3rd Climax, and going back to re-re-play Bayonetta, I can finally say that I consider Bayonetta 2 the better game.

If only for not having the same amount of backtracking, not having those QTE that will kill you, ruining your score, and also because of less annoying enemies (plus more variety) and for not making me dread the Alfheim portals. I wish you didn't have to re-do them when re-playing the chapters, because some of them are really not fun at all, after the first time.

What I like more about the first game is that Bayonetta is more bad-ass and seems more powerful than on the second. I'm not against her being more human and sensitive, I actually like that, feels like she is growing as a character. I'm just talking about the amount of times it feels she is struggling during a fight with someone. But still, she is totally awesome anyway, so...

Both games are the pinnacle of the genre for me. I consider TW101 something else entirely, so I'll not make comparisons with it. But between Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 I'm having more fun re-playing the second game.

What are your thoughts, GAF?

The Bayonetta 1 costume has to be bought though.
Or I'm forgetting something.

It has. And it comes with the move set and combos of the first game. :)

I just borrowed it from the library, and will likely start it tomorrow. It's the 2-disc version (I can't remember if that's the only physical one, but think it may be) but I don't know if I'll have time to play through Bayo 1 again. I wasn't a huge fan, but would like to check out the new costumes, so I may do that.

Here's hoping I'll like this one more and won't curse the final bosses.

Dereck

The bow and arrow comes in handy when fighting the things that turn me into a child. Does anyone else use the bow and arrow extensively?

Hmm...people on GameFAQs are saying the enemies are tougher and the bosses are a lot harder.

The conflicting opinions are interesting.

EDIT: To answer the above poster - I wasn't a huge fan of the first, so I wouldn't buy the second. It's something I'll play once, maybe beat (I'd like to, but I'm not great at these games when they get super challenging and require great combos) and then move on from. So it'd be a waste of money.

The only great game Platinum has made is Vanquish. The other ones range from pretty good to okay. Anarchy Reigns I haven't played, because it looks really uninteresting to me.

MadWorld was cool for a while but became repetitive once the art style wow factor wore off, Revengeance was solid but unspectacular and forgettable, Bayonetta was pretty good but too difficult and out there (Darksiders was better that month), and The Wonderful 101 had crap control mechanics, was far too long and got repetitive quickly.

I'll see myself out and run to cover.

Regiruler

Hmm...people on GameFAQs are saying the enemies are tougher and the bosses are a lot harder.

The conflicting opinions are interesting.

EDIT: To answer the above poster - I wasn't a huge fan of the first, so I wouldn't buy the second. It's something I'll play once, maybe beat (I'd like to, but I'm not great at these games when they get super challenging and require great combos) and then move on from. So it'd be a waste of money.

The only great game Platinum has made is Vanquish. The other ones range from pretty good to okay. Anarchy Reigns I haven't played, because it looks really uninteresting to me.

MadWorld was cool for a while but became repetitive once the art style wow factor wore off, Revengeance was solid but unspectacular and forgettable, Bayonetta was pretty good but too difficult and out there (Darksiders was better that month), and The Wonderful 101 had crap control mechanics, was far too long and got repetitive quickly.

I'll see myself out and run to cover.

With good reason. You basically came into a thread to shit on the game and say "I don't think it's worthy of my money, so I'll just borrow it for free".

popyea

So, is anyone else feeling like the first game is more fun to fight things? Enemies don't block or dodge you constantly. Rival fights in 2 mostly boil down to getting witch time in order to attack (especially infinite climax) since attacking outside of witch time they'll either block you if you're close, or dodge your weaves. Fighting these guys stylishly doesn't seem feasible, since launching them only incapacitates them for a moment, and then they'll just block or dodge your followups. You can tell now why the hardest difficulty doesn't disable witch time, since it's clearly not balanced for that.

Fighting Gracious and Glorious in 1 is a breeze compared to just
Grace and Glory
in 2. You can't even touch those guys in 2 without getting blocked, and putting them in any sort of launch or trip state either doesn't work or amounts to nothing. You feel like you need UC or WT in order to get any sort of advantage over them, but it doesn't feel good for the fight to hinge on meter gain or free hits from witch time. Can anyone explain to me what the new core of the game is, and if i'm just missing something?

I feel like UC has made all the fun and spectacle very frontloaded. So rather than the game becoming more fun the better you get, it actually gets less fun, since you've run out of techniques to improve upon and spectacular moves to pull off.

With good reason. You basically came into a thread to shit on the game and say "I don't think it's worthy of my money, so I'll just borrow it for free".

I guess that could be taken away from what I said. I didn't mean to shit on the game, though, because I'm intelligent/adult enough to know that some good (and even great like this one supposedly is) games just aren't for everyone, including myself.

Even if I don't end up loving it, I still won't think of it as a bad game.

I just have a hard time wording questions sometimes, and really just wanted to get opinions as to whether it would be a good game for me to play if I didn't love the original and found it tough at the end.

I'm unemployed and can't work outside of the house due to depression/OCD/anxiety, so I watch what I spend and being able to borrow a game from the library from time to time is a nice thing. I bought about 150-200 games last-gen, though. I'm not just going to go out and buy a game I likely won't love.

Regiruler

So, is anyone else feeling like the first game is more fun to fight things? Enemies don't block or dodge you constantly. Rival fights in 2 mostly boil down to getting witch time in order to attack (especially infinite climax) since attacking outside of witch time they'll either block you if you're close, or dodge your weaves. Fighting these guys stylishly doesn't seem feasible, since launching them only incapacitates them for a moment, and then they'll just block or dodge your followups. You can tell now why the hardest difficulty doesn't disable witch time, since it's clearly not balanced for that.

Fighting Gracious and Glorious in 1 is a breeze compared to just
Grace and Glory
in 2. You can't even touch those guys in 2 without getting blocked, and putting them in any sort of launch or trip state either doesn't work or amounts to nothing. You feel like you need UC or WT in order to get any sort of advantage over them, but it doesn't feel good for the fight to hinge on meter gain or free hits from witch time. Can anyone explain to me what the new core of the game is, and if i'm just missing something?

I feel like UC has made all the fun and spectacle very frontloaded. So rather than the game becoming more fun the better you get, it actually gets less fun, since you've run out of techniques to improve upon and spectacular moves to pull off.

I think it was a conscious effort to make witch time better. Don't you get a slightly longer witch time in 2?

popyea

I think it was a conscious effort to make witch time better. Don't you get a slightly longer witch time in 2?

No, it's variable now, but also shorter. I think it still stands though that it's their attempt to make witch time better. It's like they wanted it to be like a sort of counter-attack. A shorter, punchier thing that you do more often. It also forces a greater emphasis on dodge offset, as you won't be able to land some of the finishing weaves during WT unless you get it midway through the combo. It seems the greater window for Bat Within is also there to accommodate the new balance.

Jintor

I'm still kind of annoyed that Weaves no longer stagger properly unless in Witch Time or in Climax. I know it's a balance issue but a lot of my Bayo 1 strategy revolved around the breathing time when a Weave would pop out and slam a mid-tier or higher enemy into the ground and let me work out what was going on.

I'm also annoyed that half the time Alu-whatsherface turns into a fucking cloud of petals and negates anything you do

popyea

I'm still kind of annoyed that Weaves no longer stagger properly unless in Witch Time or in Climax. I know it's a balance issue but a lot of my Bayo 1 strategy revolved around the breathing time when a Weave would pop out and slam a mid-tier or higher enemy into the ground and let me work out what was going on.

I'm also annoyed that half the time Alu-whatsherface turns into a fucking cloud of petals and negates anything you do

Yeah, Weaves having less effect on enemies has made them much less satisfying. They used to set enemies up by putting them in various states, which would invite you to change your objective as you affected the situation. But in 2 it's just put a dent in their health, but otherwise your options are the same as if you didn't. Of course your moves are affecting while in UC, but in that situation there's no reason to think strategically, since you're practically invulnerable and the enemies are completely at your mercy.

danmaku

Do you have to buy it? I beat it on 3rd climax and didn't see it.

No, you don't. I cleared the game on 2nd Climax and got
Shuraba and Scarborough Fair
for free (and also unlocked the special mirror with Bayo1 costumes, but you have to buy it). Maybe there's some other requirement?

popyea

No, you don't. I cleared the game on 2nd Climax and got
Shuraba and Scarborough Fair
for free (and also unlocked the special mirror with Bayo1 costumes, but you have to buy it). Maybe there's some other requirement?

I'm pretty sure the requirement is just buy her original costume. Once you have that,
Scarborough Fair and Shuraba
will be there with the rest of your weapons.

danmaku

I'm pretty sure the requirement is just buy her original costume. Once you have that,
Scarborough Fair and Shuraba
will be there with the rest of your weapons.

Yeah, I just checked a FAQ and you need to buy the special mirror with B1 costumes.

Finally beat the last Witch Trial, omg. Now I'm finally starting 3rd Climax and everything's just being Platinum'd, lol. Can't wait to unlock IC, because Hard feels the same as Normal now.

Regiruler

I'm in the same boat as you, but I have finals this week and won't be back home to my system until saturday.

NNID is Regiruler. Send me a request, and if you still need someone to tag with after this week I'd be happy to play.

Akiller

I'm in the same boat as you, but I have finals this week and won't be back home to my system until saturday.

NNID is Regiruler. Send me a request, and if you still need someone to tag with after this week I'd be happy to play.

Added, and wish you well for the finals :)

Top Bottom