• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Unit24

EDIT: Any particular reason Angel Attack was removed? It was nice filler that helped slow down the pacing a bit.

Probably because it was pointless filler that slowed the pacing down. Personally, I hated it. All it did was kill the momentum after every chapter.

Regiruler

Huh, I finished it on 3rd climax. That was quicker than I thought it would end.

Did anyone else cry during the final scene with Balder?

Golnei

I cringed because it felt really forced and out of character for Bayonetta.

That was easily the worst line of the game. There were so many other options they could have taken with that last piece of dialogue - so many options that wouldn't have involved the word
'daddy'

That was easily the worst line of the game. There were so many other options they could have taken with that last piece of dialogue - so many options that wouldn't have involved the word
'daddy'

flashbacks of "
mommy" and "baby" from Other M

danmaku

Maybe it wasn't the best line they could choose, but I liked how Balder gets redeemed in B2. In B1 he's a simple "lol I'm evil" villain, in 2 he becomes a true hero. The opening scene of B2 becomes a lot more meaningful after you beat the game.

I thought third was normal.
Eh, the harder difficulty is a good way to up the ante from the original.

Might as well be

Of course that means I'm terribad for not playing it first, but that's the way she goes

'daddy'

Don't hurt me guys, but I skipped or barely paid attention to basically every cutscene

Honestly I didn't have a problem with Bayonetta being all warm and squishy at times in this game, I think they were just showing that because of the events of the first game, she's more accessible without sacrificing being a sassy badass. Just part of her owning herself and being comfortable with it.

The writing is legit ass, tho

Curufinwe

What's a good guide, formatted for a phone?

I beat it on 2nd Climax and want to find all the hidden verses and weapon LPs on 3rd Climax. I missed 21 verses on 2C.

Monocle

Huh, I finished it on 3rd climax. That was quicker than I thought it would end.

Did anyone else cry during the final scene with Balder?
That scene did hit me in the feels.

I cringed because it felt really forced and out of character for Bayonetta.
'daddy'

Nope nope nope. That was the perfect line to complete Bayonetta's arc of self-discovery. I absolutely loved it.

In the first game Bayonetta regained her memory and learned who she was, and in the second game she got in touch with her roots by meeting her mother, fighting in the witch hunts, and finally acknowledging her father just before his tragic corruption. Balder lost himself as Bayonetta found herself. It was great.

Monocle

yeah but...
"call me daddy just once?"

I laughed, which I don't think was the intention
Like someone mentioned earlier, it parallels little Cereza calling Bayonetta mummy in the first game. The unintended slant of that daddy line honestly didn't occur to me until I saw people bring it up in this thread. It completely worked for me in the moment. It was a rare moment of vulnerability for Bayonetta that I believe was 100% earned after everything she went through in her two games. She lost her identity, found it, literally went to hell and back for her best friend, and met both her parents for the first time as a grown woman.

Her character arc is excellent IMO, and that last moment and line
with her father
seals it.

Capra

yeah but...

I thought he was going to say "call me father" as a callback to the first game and it probably is supposed to be, but then I guess they wanted to use a more personal word to contrast with Old/Loptr Balder's formal villainy.

With that in mind it kind of works.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Anybody else recording footage to hopefully add/contribute to the Umbran Arts video series? I've got about 32 videos as of now I'm ready to pass along if Saur is interested, ranging from all types of combo demostrations/boss challenges/Aflheim PP (Pure stylish too ;p), etc. Even got my Pure Platinum Rodin fight using the Sai Fang+Bracelet of Time+Climax Brace where I just beat him down super fast.

Anybody else trying to contribute to this. Mainly I'm focusing on Bayonetta 1 atm.

Riposte

I'm 90% sure in Bayonetta (and 100% sure for The Wonderful 101) you could turn off moves you bought, yet I cannot find the option for this game. Is it not possible?

Three random thoughts:

Whose's better? Bayo1's Jeanne or Bayo2's Masked Lumen? My money is on the latter, although I'm in my honeymoon phase perhaps.

This game needed more Moon River. The game's opening is sublime in part because it.

This game needed more Bayonetta x Jeanne scenes. Whenever they are together, I'm totally captivated, too fab.

Monocle

I'm 90% sure in Bayonetta (and 100% sure for The Wonderful 101) you could turn off moves you bought, yet I cannot find the option for this game. Is it not possible?
It's in the weapons menu, I'm pretty sure. I've used it a few times.

Three random thoughts:

Whose's better? Bayo1's Jeanne or Bayo2's Masked Lumen? My money is on the latter, although I'm in my honeymoon phase perhaps.

This game needed more Moon River. The game's opening is sublime in part because it.

This game needed more Bayonetta x Jeanne scenes. Whenever they are together, I'm totally captivated, too fab.
I agree with all of this. The Masked Lumen has a more interesting style than Jeanne and more engaging variety across the different fights. I love how he summons the bosses of the first game to match Bayonetta's Wicked Weaves.

Moon River is perfection. It instantly puts me in a wistful mood where I recall my favorite Bayonetta memories.

Bayonetta and Jeanne are the most fabulous duo ever. Talk about an ungodly level of elegance and badassery when they share the screen. (Apparently it's canon that they live together. Can you even imagine?) I need a Bayonetta sequel or spinoff where they team up for the full adventure.

Three random thoughts:

yes
Lumen
yes
L-lewd

in that order

Regiruler

So are
Balder and Rodin
really just tag climax only? I unlocked both
Rosa and Jeanne
and both are fully playable.

Definitely the best part of the story for me was any scene with the two of them. Both characters seemed their best when together. Next game should make both characters available from the start and just have them banter the whole way through (Yeah, I know another sequel is probably a pipe dream, but still).

Regiruler

Definitely the best part of the story for me was any scene with the two of them. Both characters seemed their best when together. Next game should make both characters available from the start and just have them banter the whole way through (Yeah, I know another sequel is probably a pipe dream, but still).

The only character I want is a
goddamn Lumen Sage who isn't balder for a change.

Golnei

Bayonetta 3 will reveal that all of the Lumen Sages were actually
time-displaced copies of Balder.

Only playing Moon River twice could have still worked, but the second instance needed to be a lot more substantial - it didn't even play for the full summon sequence. Using it for the Jetfighter Assault sequence instead would have been much better. I'm also a little disappointed they didn't try to tie the song itself into the story at all, as with Fly Me To The Moon...

Also, as for scenes with Bayonetta and Jeanne, although the game itself didn't have enough, hopefully the Eyes of Bayonetta 2 will deliver. The original book was the first source to show them living together, after all.

mantidor

Omg
umbran mechas
:O

They completely hint it in the initial sequence but still.

I'm not fond of killing Bayo's 1 bosses freaking again since I finished bayo 1 a few days ago and damn if you have to kill the virtues over and over again in that game, that you have to kill them here again is overkill, but that giant angelic super ship was awesome.

The story is insane.

colon

I have a few questions about Tag Climax mode. My friend living in Japan is just a very casual gamer, but she is interested in buying Bayonetta 2 if we can play together. So my questions are:
1. Is the online mode region locked? Kinda dumb that I would even have to ask that, but she was disappointed after buying Fantasy Life and that Disney World game on 3DS and we couldn't play together, so I told her not to waste her money on Bayo2 until I got a definitive answer on this, because I think she won't play it outside of this mode.

2. Is the mode unlocked from the start? No chance she will be good enough to complete the story on her own if it has to be unlocked. Will she need to play the story mode for anything?

3. How is the mode overall? She wants to buy it just to play with me, but is there enough replayability to justify buying it just for this mode (because apparently it is illegal to rent video games in Japan)?

Bombless

I have a few questions about Tag Climax mode. My friend living in Japan is just a very casual gamer, but she is interested in buying Bayonetta 2 if we can play together. So my questions are:
1. Is the online mode region locked? Kinda dumb that I would even have to ask that, but she was disappointed after buying Fantasy Life and that Disney World game on 3DS and we couldn't play together, so I told her not to waste her money on Bayo2 until I got a definitive answer on this, because I think she won't play it outside of this mode.

2. Is the mode unlocked from the start? No chance she will be good enough to complete the story on her own if it has to be unlocked. Will she need to play the story mode for anything?

3. How is the mode overall? She wants to buy it just to play with me, but is there enough replayability to justify buying it just for this mode (because apparently it is illegal to rent video games in Japan)?

1. I remember seeing japanese player names in my playable games list so I'm pretty sure it's not region locked. Hopefully someone here can confirm.

2. I think it's unlocked from the start but the verses (stages) are locked until you beat them in Solo play so she won't be able to pick much (if anything, I finished SP before trying MP so I'm not sure if any verses are available from the start at all). The winner of the verse picks the next ones so I'm not sure how it would work if one of the players has no verses to choose from.

3. There's 54 verses with fights that can range from 30 seconds to much more (once difficulty is ramped up). Run 6 verses, the winner is the one that gets the most halos at the end. You both keep the halos earned. There are hidden verses (4 out of the 54) and additional characters to unlock once you beat them (
Balder
and
Rodin
). So there's a lot of replayability but not much progress. If she enjoys the gameplay then she can play that forever but the sessions are very short.

correojon

1. I don´t think so.

2. I think it appears just after you start Story Mode. However, some stages for multiplayer are unlocked by just playing the different chapters in SM, but this can be done in easy or very easy. Some weapons and characters can only be obtained in SM. If she doesn´t play through SM she won´t be able to get all the life and magic upgrades so she´ll be at a pretty big disadvantage against someone who has got all the upgrades.

3. To be honest, I don´t think this is a game you can "pick up and play" like, say, Mario Kart. The player needs to invest some time to learn the mechanics, weapon possibilities and enemy behaviour, that´s where more of the fun resides (for me). Maybe you can bypass some part of it by using the Eternal Marionette for autocombos, but I haven´t tried it so I don´t know if she would end just mashing buttons senselessly while her character does whatever it wants on screen, which I imagine can´t remain fun for too long...

I love the game, but I think it´s mainly a single player experience with tag Climax being a nice add-on but not big enough to carry all the weight of the title.

Curufinwe

What's a good guide, formatted for a phone?

I beat it on 2nd Climax and want to find all the hidden verses and weapon LPs on 3rd Climax. I missed 21 verses on 2C.

The IGN guide is pretty good. I did chapters 9 and 10 on 3C last night, and I'll do chapter 8 tonight and then I'll have all the weapon LPs and can start back at chapter 1.

ghibli99

Better late than never, but here's my video review for Bayo 2. I'm still playing it, and about to start Infinite Climax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxz-3_mFYk

I gave it an
A+
. Most of the footage is from my first playthrough, so it's not too advanced. This game has given me trigger finger in both of my hands, BTW. It might be time to take a break from it!

Anyway, although I'm no pro at the game or making videos by any standard, I hope you still enjoy it.

Yes, and it is a goddamn crime.

I really hope we get a small DLC story pack for both of them (and maybe the other unlockable characters as well). Maybe like 4 or so chapters would be nice.

I was kinda surprised
Loki
wasn't playable in Tag Climax. I kinda thought you could since there was that short playable segment in story mode.

Golnei

I was kinda surprised
Loki
wasn't playable in Tag Climax. I kinda thought you could since there was that short playable segment in story mode.

I wasn't expecting him to be playable - he didn't really have anything in the way of an extant moveset, unlike the other 4 unlockable characters. Though
Loptr
could have been adapted into a Tag Climax character if his projected arms were slightly reduced in size.

Alraune
could have worked as well, but she'd probably need too many new animations.

Regiruler

I wasn't expecting him to be playable - he didn't really have anything in the way of an extant moveset, unlike the other 4 unlockable characters. Though
Loptr
could have been adapted into a Tag Climax character if his projected arms were slightly reduced in size.

Alraune
could have worked as well, but she'd probably need too many new animations.
Cards would have made for a really cool combat style though. You derive offense and defense from the same resource, and you have the capability to inflict status ailments.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Quick question: Does Bayo 1 come as a physical disk or downloadable code? Cause I just bought it used from Amazon's Warehouse Deals for $36 (w/ Prime shipping). The fine print only warns about missing downloadable codes.

WCcoYoQ.png

The two games for $36 is too good to be true, especially since it didn't go on sale anywhere (beside BB's B1G1 40% off). If this is only Bayo 2 then I'm canceling.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Quick question: Does Bayo 1 come as a physical disk or downloadable code? Cause I just bought it used from Amazon's Warehouse Deals for $36 (w/ Prime shipping). The fine print only warns about missing downloadable codes.

WCcoYoQ.png

The two games for $36 is too good to be true, especially since it didn't go on sale anywhere (beside BB's B1G1 40% off). If this is only Bayo 2 then I'm canceling.

It's a physical disk.
16p5ZRDl.jpg

ScribbleD

Finished it for the 5th time to round out my 100%. What a brilliant follow-up to what was already the best character action game ever made. Even after all these playthroughs there's still so much to experiment with. I spent half of my infinite climax playthrough just toying around with undine and alruna.

The secret boss
Rodin
is difficulty done right, so much so that I have abandoned my Akumu playthrough of The Evil Within and vow to never do another trial-and-error difficulty (like God Hard in Vanquish). Most satisfying gameplay I've had in years. :)

Ninja Dom

Alright, I'm not completely done with the Wii U version of Bayonetta 1 but I'm now gonna start my first playthrough of Bayonetta 2. I've only played the Bayonetta 2 demo.

I'm still doing my 100% run of Super Mario 3D World too. Ok, Bayonetta 2, I'm going in!

Astral Dog

yeah but...

It was awesome because it totally fitted his character for the first time,the right kind of cheese, unfortunately his voice ruins everything.

Yeah, kind of a missed oportunity there isnt more of them on the Witch Hunts, but that was good anyways,
Balder returning was cool anyways
, its just that voice, i imagine he would have stealed the spotlight from Bayonetta if he was his old self

There has been some new blog posts about the game, kinda interesting
http://platinumgames.com/blog/

But this was moved to community, so no one will see them...

Dreavus

It was awesome because it totally fitted his character for the first time,the right kind of cheese, unfortunately his voice ruins everything.

Yeah, kind of a missed oportunity there isnt more of them on the Witch Hunts, but that was good anyways,
Balder returning was cool anyways
, its just that voice, i imagine he would have stealed the spotlight from Bayonetta if he was his old self

There has been some new blog posts about the game, kinda interesting
http://platinumgames.com/blog/

But this was moved to community, so no one will see them...

What do you have against Crispin Freeman? :mad:

Golnei

Cards would have made for a really cool combat style though. You derive offense and defense from the same resource, and you have the capability to inflict status ailments.

There's no question that his set of abilities could have led to an interesting player character; but unlike all the others, he has no ingame incarnation to draw from.
Rodin and Balder
were likely developed simultaneously as both Tag Climax characters and allies / enemies in the story, while Loki wasn't given a moveset at all; so any playable version of the character would have to be created from scratch.

Pila

Yesterday I finally beat the game on 3rd climax, little time for games lately.

What can I say, I'm not terrific at action games but I enjoy Platinum games immensely, pretty happy to have three P* games on this console. Let's hope we'll see another one!

The final boss was better in the first game IMHO but it's cool, this game is excellent. Packed with quality content, great effort from the devs.

Gambit

So I have finally unlocked the second tag Climax character
Balder
while playing Tag Climax solo with a CPU. So if I ignored anyone's Tag Climax request, sorry about that.

I really like playing with this character now, shame you can't in the regular story mode.

Anyway, I have unlocked the characters, and beaten 3rd climax. I am probably not good enough for Infinite Climax but I will try a couple of stages.

It's getting to the point that I am ready to shelf Bayonetta 2 temporarily. (Before replaying it next year). Maybe I will move on to a completely different experience (like Bayo 1 lol).

Top Bottom