• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

one_kill

Just finished the story and I really like this game

I'm not sure if I'll play it on harder difficulties or try to unlock everything, but I can see myself coming back and playing a scenario or two

Also, Tomorrow is Mine is great

Monocle

Just finished the story and I really like this game

I'm not sure if I'll play it on harder difficulties or try to unlock everything, but I can see myself coming back and playing a scenario or two

Also, Tomorrow is Mine is great
At least beat the game on 3rd Climax. You get the most amazing weapon and a great playable character.

Finished this game earlier. I loved it overall, the combat is some of the best I've played in a game. It feels so good to play and had the right amount of difficultly for 2nd climax. I didn't really understand the story because I didn't play Bayo 1, but the characters had the right kind of quirky charm. Above all it's a game with amazing combat, great controls, and amusing and exciting visuals and spectacle. Really enjoyed it. 9/10

correojon

I finally beat Rodin last week (Rosa+Climax Brace II + Infernal Communicator), it took more than a hundred tries. My heart was pumping like crazy when I finally won :) Some tips:
You can be more aggressive then you think against his first form, in fact it is recommended to take the fight to him, this way you only have to watch for when he jumps backwards and rushes to you instantly, the rest of his attacks have tells so are relatively easy to dodge.
Try to keep the fight in the center of the stage, the camera can mess you up if you fight near the edge. Rodin will follow you. Use your dodges to reposition your back always towards the center.
Use PPP or PPPP holding down the button after every hit for the follow up. Jump when you reach the third hit to reset the combo, WW take a while to come out and Rodin will hit you before you can.
Use dodge offset, even if you aren´t using WW the shots fired during dodging can stagger Rodin.
You can use Eternal Testimony for 2 free magic orbs at the start of the fight, then switch to Infernal Communicator.
If you use Infernal Communicator try to activate it during Witch Time when Rodin is performing an attack with no follow up. Wait until you have at least one full magic orb and keep on the offensive so IC remains active against Rodin´s second form.
Pulleys Butterfly is useless against his "lol I raped you" attack and you may loose your rythm trying to constantly activate it. It will also drain your magic meter faster making IC shorter, so I don´t recommend it.
Keep your rythm, if you activate UC you will loose a lot of magic in a short span of time and change your style for it´s duration, so I found it better to just keep going with IC even during Rodin´s second form. He seems scary but in fact him being so aggressive gives you plenty of opportunities to constantly go into WT and make the second half of the fight much shorter than the first, specially if you saved enough magic for IC.

I started a playthrough of Bayo 1. I hadn´t touched it since I played it on XBOX360, so there are a lot of things I don´t remember (like the "awesome" instakill QTEs :S). It´s still soon to compare both games, but having beast within from the start in Bayo2 is a huge upgrade, I am leaving verses undone in 1because of the pain it is to backtrack the whole level without the panther. Also, I didn´t remember how hard it was to get witch time without bat within (the same thing happened to me at the start of Bayo 2 until I bought it). The timing for inputs seems much more restrictive in 1, specially with kick moves. I still have a lot of moves to unlock on Bayo 1, but after playing Bayo 2 I feel the magic gauge is underused (though this will probably change once I start getting the instaWW moves and Umbran Spear). I won´t judge the fighting system more deeply until I have unlocked all moves and most weapons, but right now I´m loving how you can take almost every enemy to the air with you and do crazy air combos. Witch Time seems to be much longer than in 2, can anyone confirm this?

There is however one mayor critic to Bayo 1 and it makes me so sad that it was something that was present in the original versions, people complaint a lot about it to the point to get an official reply from PC but it remains untouched in the remake: the control scheme is horrible! Having Dodge in RT and Lock on in RB is a very bad design choice :(

Arkain

Whew, finally beat the game! What a ride. I was a little let down by the final sequence - it just felt so much less epic than Bayonetta 1's finale. But that's ok - Bayo 2 was still a great game and cast everything in a new light.

I do have a question about the very first chapter of the game "Records of Time - The End".

When exactly is that supposed to take place? The timing of the Prologue of Bayonetta 1 is pretty easily placed during the Witch Hunts, but "Records of Time - The End" doesn't seem to mesh with anything else we've seen. Given Rosa's presence, it would seem this is again during the Witch Hunts, yet we also see Insidous flying around and no demons were present or hinted at being present during this time (It might stand to reason that some of them would come to help their Witch masters out.) We also see the Umbran Armor both equipped by Bayonetta and them flying around in the sky.

Yet at the end of all of this, Bayonetta encounteres the Masked Sage, seemingly for the first time given her apparent surprise at him being a Lumen Sage and comments that the last sage she met droned on for 20 minutes. However, by the events of the game, Bayonetta has already met him by the point where she's sent back in time to the Witch Hunts, and none of his abilities or appearance should be surprising. So even should the timing be in the middle of the Witch Hunts, at what point would it take place given this game left us with no explicit unobserved time gaps to fill in? Another point that would seem to indicate it NOT being part of the Witch Hunts is that it has the presence of the "new" Angelic enemies, which aren't present during the entire Witch Hunt sequence.

I came here looking for an answer for the spoilered part of this post.

Anyone got a clever theory? Or is this just a plothole? It's been bugging me ever since I finished the game.

Golnei

I came here looking for an answer for the spoilered part of this post.

Anyone got a clever theory? Or is this just a plothole? It's been bugging me ever since I finished the game.

The only thing I can think of is that it actually occurs after the events of the main game.
There's nothing explicitly preventing more time travel from occurring to bring Rosa and possessed Balder into the present, and Bayonetta's dialogue with the Lumen Sage is still ambiguous enough to make sense in that context - she still hasn't met any non-Balder sages, after all; and being surprised by his return would make sense considering the circumstances of the ending. Him wearing the original mask rather than his one from the ending could just be a contrivance to hide his face from the player in the intro; and in-universe just be a replacement for the one broken during the main game. As a theory, it's a stretch, but believing something similar at least allows for a spark of Bayonetta 3 to exist in our hearts

Though speaking of non-canon sequences, I wonder why they didn't use the Bayonetta vs. Masked Lumen scene from the E3 2013 trailer to finish off Chapter 4. It ended so abruptly, which was kind of jarring after one of the best setpieces in the game.

Adaren

The only thing I can think of is that it actually occurs after the events of the main game.
There's nothing explicitly preventing more time travel from occurring to bring Rosa and possessed Balder into the present, and Bayonetta's dialogue with the Lumen Sage is still ambiguous enough to make sense in that context - she still hasn't met any non-Balder sages, after all; and being surprised by his return would make sense considering the circumstances of the ending. Him wearing the original mask rather than his one from the ending could just be a contrivance to hide his face from the player in the intro; and in-universe just be a replacement for the one broken during the main game. As a theory, it's a stretch, but believing something similar at least allows for a spark of Bayonetta 3 to exist in our hearts

Though speaking of non-canon sequences, I wonder why they didn't use the Bayonetta vs. Masked Lumen scene from the E3 2013 trailer to finish off Chapter 4. It ended so abruptly, which was kind of jarring after one of the best setpieces in the game.

I like this theory!
maybe because I wasn't a huge fan of the actual ending/resolution

Another ending question that occured to me:
if Loki destroyed the eyes, how does evil Balder become the right eye in Bayonetta 1?

Also my copy of The Eyes of Bayonetta shipped today! Ordered it a few months ago, but I'm a big enough fan of the series that I should really have done it years ago. Glad it's coming!

Adaren

Because it's in the past.
Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Balder loses the right eye, the eyes are destroyed forever, Balder absorbs Loptr, and then Balder goes back in time to the Witch Hunts. This eventually leads to Bayonetta 1, where Balder has the right eye again. How'd he get it?

New theory:
Loki is delusional and doesn't actually have the power to destroy the eyes. Bayonetta didn't need that punk's help to beat Aesir anyway.

:p

Regiruler

My biggest question is how Bayonetta and Balder still have their powers. Hell, they still had enough strength after dealing with Aesir to collectively summon Omne. Do they eyes actually do anything other than be God food?

Bombless

My biggest question is how Bayonetta and Balder still have their powers. Hell, they still had enough strength after dealing with Aesir to collectively summon Omne. Do they eyes actually do anything other than be God food?

They still have their contracts. They don't use the eyes, they just watch over them and the world.

Regiruler

They still have their contracts. They don't use the eyes, they just watch over them and the world.

I don't think there was a single instance of bayonetta actually using the left eye except as being fodder for Jubileus and maybe that one time where Loptr tries to fool her, although she could have just looked at the color. Balder might have used the right eye for evulz but it was never explicitly shown.

It was implied that the eyes were the source of the clan's power. Why is it then that they only seem to be useful in the hands of a deity?

Bombless

I don't think there was a single instance of bayonetta actually using the left eye except as being fodder for Jubileus and maybe that one time where Loptr tries to fool her, although she could have just looked at the color. Balder might have used the right eye for evulz but it was never explicitly shown.

It was implied that the eyes were the source of the clan's power. Why is it then that they only seem to be useful in the hands of a deity?

The eyes were God's power over humanity. Loki didn't give that power to humanity, rather he gave up the power and the humans were keeping guard over it. The reason for it was lost over the ages but the clans kept their vigil (as Jeanne said in Bayo 1 : their Eye will never fall in the hands of another).

Adaren

The eyes still exist in the past.

Sorry if I wasn't explaining myself clearly earlier (was posting from the phone), but this still seems fishy to me.

Past Balder has the right eye, he gets pulled into the future by adult Loptr, he still has the right eye. Then the eye is taken from him and subsequently destroyed. He goes back into the past...presumably without the eye. Where is it reintroduced?

Maybe you have a different interpretation of what the "eyes" are than i do, but I thought it was strongly implied (if not outright stated) multiple times in both games that the eyes are inherited by and tied to specific Sages/Witches. After Balder lost the eye, how did he reacquire it? Did he somehow "leave" the past eye in the past and reacquire the right eye in the future? To me, it looks like he took the right eye with him from the past into the future and then he lost it.

I guess you can draw an analogy with Balder's mask. He takes it from the past into the future, it gets destroyed, and when he returns to the past he no longer has it. Same thing with the right eye, yeah?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
So I finished this game today..

XYeb8p3.gif

What a fucking ride. This game became one of my all time favorites. I can't believe it.

I wasn't a big fan of the first one, I don't exactly remember why, so I was hesitant about getting the second. But lord almighty, this game, this motha effin game, is beyond amazing. From start to finish, the whole thing is perfect. The combat, the pacing, the crazy set pieces, the great art, the music.. And the boss fights? They're just..

15990707672_e93049ed74_o.gif

Sorry for the gifs, I'm just.. speechless.

Aerobatics

Neo Member
god damnit Platinum, I love that star fox section once, why make the same mistake with you did with that afterburner part in Bayo 1, putting a big dumb vehicle section before one of the best boss fights in the game. They did it twice in this game!

El Odio

Banned
I finished Bayo1 earlier this week and have started up this one last night and... good lord, are all of platinum games intro sequences always so amazing?? The entire prologue chapter had me ready for action and actually laughing at all the crazy hysterics going on. I've only played up to chapter 2 but already I'm liking this more than the first. Something about the combat just feels better for some reason and it doesn't look like everything's had a desaturation filter put over it. All I can say right now is
inMCgLCOtcdkH.gif

Monocle

god damnit Platinum, I love that star fox section once, why make the same mistake with you did with that afterburner part in Bayo 1, putting a big dumb vehicle section before one of the best boss fights in the game. They did it twice in this game!
But both of them are shorter, easier, and definitely have better mechanics.

Corgi

Banned
am i crazy to really only enjoy Love is Blue in terms of gameplay? Just not feeling any of the other weapons.

wait: nvm, missed the scythe and went back and got it... this is my jam.

Regiruler

am i crazy to really only enjoy Love is Blue in terms of gameplay? Just not feeling any of the other weapons.

wait: nvm, missed the scythe and went back and got it... this is my jam.

I like the whip. Undine feels inferior to Durga due to the lack of explosive finishes.

EDIT: Kafka is interesting to play with but doesn't really feel as fun. I like it paired with the whip, though.

Golnei

EDIT: Kafka is interesting to play with but doesn't really feel as fun. I like it paired with the whip, though.

Kafka and Alruna is a great setup. At least in terms of being enjoyable, it's not necessarily all that good when it comes to damage output. I usually use that alongside Alruna / Salamandra - Love is Blue might have a really intuitive moveset, but Rosa's existence tends to make me avoid using handguns on characters with more options.

Speaking of which, I'd probably pay an embarrassing amount for DLC to give Rosa versions of Durga, Kulshedra, Sai Fung and Odette...

Corgi

Banned
coming back to this after hardcore studying is a treat... but the side effect... mentally exhausting lol.

Just beat ch7 and haven't felt this 'tired' from a game in ages!

So much everything happening at once!

jesus.

El Odio

Banned
Just finished the first Masked Lumen fight and all I can say is holy shit. Even if the background interaction was minimal that was an amazing concept for fight. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Regiruler

Kafka and Alruna is a great setup. At least in terms of being enjoyable, it's not necessarily all that good when it comes to damage output. I usually use that alongside Alruna / Salamandra - Love is Blue might have a really intuitive moveset, but Rosa's existence tends to make me avoid using handguns on characters with more options.

Speaking of which, I'd probably pay an embarrassing amount for DLC to give
Rosa
versions of Durga, Kulshedra, Sai Fung and Odette...

Dude, spoilers

EDIT: Speaking of which, I'm up for Tag Climax if anyone is interested.

Majukun

just bought a wii U with the game this morning.
started on third climax because that's how I roll.
game kicked my ass in the first chapter (actually the third,the one after the prologue)

game at the moments seems like bayo 1 on steroids,at least comparing the first couple chapters...also,the first chapter was incredibly long compared to bayo 1..maybe I remember wrong since after the first visit you could do various shortcuts in bayo 1 chapters

only problem thus far has been the wii pad...my hands kinda hurt right now.

Curufinwe

The 2nd crow in chapter 13 was a real pain to get since if you don't grab it, it flies away for good and you have to restart the section.

Corgi

Banned
man ch9 prophet is probably the first boss i had died a few times so far on hard.

Gotta remember he can counter attack you right in your wicked weaves. hmmmm

finished the game on 2nd climax. incredible game. after w101 i thought platinum can get any better but they did it with bayonetta 2. its a bit on the easier side though (at least in 2nd climax)..

now i gotta earn me some halos to unlock everything and then ill play bayonetta 1 all over again (played it on 360)

loved the story as well.
really clever how they intertwined everything with bayonetta 1

Finished the game on 2nd Climax, combined chapter rating = Silver. About 10 hours playtime.

There are very few things I didn't like about the game. It's basically down to the level-menu not being as cool as Bayonetta 1 and I'm not a fan of some of the new weapons. Kulshedra was way superior to the new whip, the elemental clubs don't feel very powerful to me and the chainsaws seem rather limited in use, when used effective (I think)

Apart from that I love this game, one of the best games in years, plays just as fine as the first one and I was even surprised by the story, they must have had this finished before developing Bayonetta 1. It all blends too perfectly together and I was even emotionally engaged in what was going with the characters, for a game as crazy as this... that's quite the achievement.
I just love the action in this game, in the first level when the Knight-Angel is throwing it's monstrous sword across the sea at the subway-bridge, for everything that happened before that point it still feels unbelievable, instant adrenalin rush.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/116494253@N05/sets/72157649346185817/
I think I will be playing this game for a few weeks more before I move on, I'm going to add some more pics to the gallery while doing so.

Curufinwe

Any tips, or suggestions on how to approach oo climax? 3rd Climax was easy enough that I just used whatever weapons I felt like, but now I have everything unlocked maybe there are some cool or unusual weapon combos I could try to keep things fresh.

Dreavus

Does anyone have a move list for
the Masked Lumen
in Tag Climax? Finding it difficult to practice on my own because you MUST play with a partner.

El Odio

Banned
Finished up the game tonight and I feel like when compared to the first game the final boss was a big letdown.
When compared to fights against Balder and even Loptr, Aesir was lacking in both intensity and attacks to me. All he ever seemed to do is try to stun you, use an easy to avoid attack, repeat. Jubileus was a giant fought in fucking space and after the sequence beforehand you were ready for that fight, here you just walked up some stairs.

I did enjoy though how nicely the game tied into the first game. I was curious where they were going to go with the younger and good Balder plot and thought the ending was neat, if not a bit sad.

My only real other complaint other than the final boss was how again they felt the need to make the levels in the early mid game based off of areas you were just in. Felt kind of lazy IMO. Other wise I definitely enjoyed this more than the previous one entry even if I do plan to go back to it now and start trying to unlock everything.

mantidor

Finished up the game tonight and I feel like when compared to the first game the final boss was a big letdown.
When compared to fights against Balder and even Loptr, Aesir was lacking in both intensity and attacks to me. All he ever seemed to do is try to stun you, use an easy to avoid attack, repeat. Jubileus was a giant fought in fucking space and after the sequence beforehand you were ready for that fight, here you just walked up some stairs.

I did enjoy though how nicely the game tied into the first game. I was curious where they were going to go with the younger and good Balder plot and thought the ending was neat, if not a bit sad.

My only real other complaint other than the final boss was how again they felt the need to make the levels in the early mid game based off of areas you were just in. Felt kind of lazy IMO. Other wise I definitely enjoyed this more than the previous one entry even if I do plan to go back to it now and start trying to unlock everything.

The first chapter is appropriately called "The End" when you think about it.

I don't know if I'm the only one but something that kind of bothered me was that Bayonetta's facial animation was sometimes... off, it was really weird, like if she had a mild stroke or something.

Top Bottom