• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
haha, is this basically a makeshift OT now?

I always forget nintendo releases things on friday instead of tuesday so it doesn't feel like I'm getting this in 2 days. But smash direct and then this = yiss.

tebunker

Banned
I have a delivery guarantee of Friday by 8 pm.... Gawd that is going to blow. Well it will help me focus on taking care of the kids and giving the wife attention before going all in on Bayo.

Lumyst

I did my preorder at the local Gamestop on Monday, and I've been furiously completing Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and am close to the true end of Super Mario 3D Land, just in case I decide to trade those in to alleviate the price. I loved the demo and have played the demo three times already, I didn't expect it to be so accessible and some of the mechanics are actually familiar: my experience with Wonderful 101 and Sin and Punishment 2, and heck, even Hyrule Warriors, seem to transfer well. This kind of game where I'll need to memorize complex button combos is new to me, but the game still felt "familiar" thanks to what I've played in those three games. The flow of attacking and dodging is what is familiar to me. (Wonderful 101, I needed to see some Youtube videos before I "got" it, but I feel like Bayonetta 2 is the more readily accessible.)

Enforced

Just picked up the game. I love my local mom n' pop!

44zeVLv.jpg
I'm jealous.

Haha! Amazon has delivery set tomorrow. Never had an early delivery from them before but bayo 2 is def. the game i'd prefer to get lucky with.

Also all those reviews are what pushed me over from I really want this game to I'm buying this game.

It's been like that for at least a week or two. Also consider the fact that the top 3 (gift cards) don't really count if you're talking about games specifically. But I don't see Nintendo "fanboys" artificially inflating pre-orders, that's some conspiracy theory-level bullshit for something that in the scheme of things means next to nothing.

I also don't see Bayo 2 making a huge impact, meaning I wouldn't take an amazon sales chart as gospel for all retailers around the US. Will it do better than Wonderful 101? God I hope so. It will maybe even have a good first month (then crash & burn). I was surprised how well Hyrule Warriors did. If a Mature-rated Nintendo product can come close to that, I'd call that a success. Or rather, a success based on changed expectations (when they started Bayo2, I doubt they really knew the Wii U would be as bad off as it is).

The thing that I'm pondering, is whether the Wii U might actually be a good fit for Bayonetta.

Like, topping the amazon charts for this long isn't trivial. Consider that Call of Duty releases not much more than a week later, and isn't selling as good yet. Most games that top the Amazon.com charts like this usually sell really well (at least 600,000-1,000,000+).

Also, one trend that I noticed, was that Nintendo seems to be a strong brand for female gamers, younger and older. Nevermind it also has a decent amount of teenage boys and hardcore gamers. Perhaps a character like this would resonate more with that audience than it did on dudebro systems like X1 and PS4? Strong female lead for the girls and hardcore, lite t&a for the young dudes.

Perhaps even, the dearth of amazing titles this Christmas (as in 90+ metacritic) will steer more people than normally to try it out.

WTF amazon. Delivery of Tuesday? Are you kidding me? Order cancelled.

Mine was like that before, then I switched the shipping to something else and back to free 2-day (prime) and it changed to release date delivery. I did that probably over a week ago though. Says shipping now on my order status

Product page still says release date delivery is available but that's with the 1-day shipping option

Omnicent

I just spoke to a rep and she said the item isn't available for release date shipping. Do I really have to reorder it? That's bizarre.

I had the same issue. Try chaging shipping speed (I just left mine on 2day) and it should hopefully update to release date delivery.
I did this this afternoon fyi.

The thing that I'm pondering, is whether the Wii U might actually be a good fit for Bayonetta.

Like, topping the amazon charts for this long isn't trivial. Consider that Call of Duty releases not much more than a week later, and isn't selling as good yet. Most games that top the charts like this usually sell really well.

Also, one trend that I noticed, was that Nintendo seems to be a strong brand for female gamers, younger and older. Nevermind it also has a decent amount of teenage boys, and hardcore gamers. Perhaps a character like this would resonate more with that audience than it did on dudebro systems like X1 and PS4? Strong female lead for the girls hardcore, lite t&a for the young dudes.

Perhaps even, the dearth of amazing titles this christmas (as in 90+ metacritic) will steer more people than normally to try it out.

I also think its helping that nintendo is doing a decent amount of advertising for it too, which honestly makes me really happy to see

I also think its helping that nintendo is doing a decent amount of advertising for it too, which honestly makes me really happy to see

Yup, that's the other thing I was thinking. This is actually getting TV ads. I really doubt that Bayonetta 1 got that, nevermind really smart advertising such as the Nintendo treehouse videos at E3, all the E3 buzz, the Nintendo character costumes, The Bayonetta 1 port with Nintendo costumes, and possibly even good word of mouth from the excellent demo.

I hope I'm not just being optimistic, I would love to see this game sell 1,000,000 copies. Like, this may not even cover its development costs, but it would probably mean we'd see a Bayonetta 3. Good word of mouth from this game could make a potential sequel sell even more.

iratA

A little off topic but I've been trying to charge my Wii-U Pro Controller in prep for this game. Is there meant to be a 'charging light' that comes on when the controller is being charged? I have no lights when I plug it into USB. Also I can't seem to get the last block filled on the 'Battery Bar Icon' whenever I leave it plugged into USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom