• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 or Hi-Fi Rush? Japanese Character Action Game face-off.

Which character action game from a Clover Studio spin-off developer?

• Bayonetta 3

Votes: 53 52.0%
  • Hi-Fi Rush

Votes: 49 48.0%

• Total voters

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Given that Tango Gameworks was initially formed as a spin-off studio from Platinum, founded by members of Mikami's Vanquish team, I thought it might be interesting to compare the two studios' recent games in the same genre.

In the Red Corner we have Bayonetta, the loooooong anticipated sequel to one of the genre's finest. Metacritic 86.

Bayonetta-3.jpg

And in the Blue Corner, we have the completely unanticipated surprise release, Hi-Fi Rush, which currently has a 97.5 average on OpenCritic (based on two reviews lol).

Hibiki-Preview-Hero-Image-2c4dd5f765fae0634236.jpg

Last edited:

Jennings

Given that Tango Gameworks was initially formed as a spin-off studio from Platinum, founded by members of Mikami's Vanquish team, I thought it might be interesting to compare the two studios' recent games in the same genre.
I didn't know this team spun off from Platinum. Did they have anything to do with Transformers Devastation? It's a cell-shaded Platinum game I love that just looks fantastic and it would make sense to me if devs from one worked on the other.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Nothing compares to Bayo 3 in terms of combat gameplay so that’s an easy one for me.

Unless you can summon a train and fight with fire yo-yos in later levels of Hi-Fi Rush.
Honestly, I like Hi-Fi Rush's combat way more, because it stays so focused on combos and satisfying moment-to-monent gamefeel and not Kaijus stomping through molasses.

SF Kosmo

I didn't know this team spun off from Platinum. Did they have anything to do with Transformers Devastation? It's a cell-shaded Platinum game I love that just looks fantastic and it would make sense to me if devs from one worked on the other.
Pretty much just Vanquish, as the company was formed shortly after that game's release, and Vanquish was one of the first Platinum titles to enter production.

Platinum itself was basically a reformation of Clover Studios, which included both Mikami and Kamiya's teams, but then Mikami went his own way once Vanquish released.

Jennings

I'm not bothered by the hardware limitations of Bayonetta 3, but man do I hate the long ass levels between combat, smashing up all the trees and stuff for collectibles. Hi-Fi Rush has this too, but because you're stuck in corridors (as least as far as I've played up to this point) all the collectibles are more or less right in front of you as you move from fight to fight and there's no running around huge empty maps collecting blue sperm tokens. I also hate the art style of the new blue slime toothpastey chaos enemies in Bayo 3, especially compared to all the Angelic shit in Bayo 2, a damn gorgeous game during fight sequences.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'd have to beat Hi-Fi Rush first, but Bayonetta 3 is a fantastic game, loaded with tons of varied summons, weapons, and challenges. It shines in new game+ and repeat playthroughs. One of my top games of last year.

I give HFR points for being the first in the series, while Bayonetta 3 is an iterative sequel. HFR is insanely original and fresh, with phenomenal visuals and style.

Bayonetta 3 achieved gameplay and mechanics accolades by managing to make Demon Slave work in game so well. And the combat is way more difficult and intricate so far, including the bosses. HFR is a casual game.

It's tough! I'll think it over as I continue on HFR. The fact that I'm not instantly sure is huge praise for HFR.

Last edited:
If these Hi-Fi characters spoke (edit) were Japanese, people would harken it back to the Tango art and design leads former work on Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Vanquish, Madworld, etc.

Last edited:
If these Hi-Fi characters spoke Japanese, people would harken it back to the Tango art and design leads former work on Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Vanquish, Madworld, etc.
Lol that's an insanely dumb take because all those games you mentioned were English first, the JPN vo's were the dubs.

Last edited:
No one will be able to properly assess the full potential of Bayonetta 3 because of the switch hardware. Its an ugly ass shitty performing game with ambitious ideas that couldn’t be fully realized.

Any 3rd party dev making games exclusively on the switch at this point is underselling themselves
I mean, at least they are selling something instead of being forced into bankrupcy.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Easily Bayonetta 3. It's one of the best character action game you can find. And it's insanely over the top awesomeness thorough. And since they patched Viola's parry, it plays even better.

RCU005

Every time a cell shaded game comes out people say it's best ever yet. They all look the same to me.
But this is definitely not the best. I believe the best one has to be a fighting game from Arc. They are legendary when it comes to cell shaded graphics.

Tams

All I can find is that Shinji Mikami did freelance work for Platinum (having previously worked at Capcom for years). I don't know about the other 12 developers who founded Tango. Shigenori Nishikawa from Platinum Games did join soon after.

Anyway, they needed bailing out after only 7 months...

After the ZeniMax acquisition and they became Tango Gameworks, rhey did hire some ex-Platinumn Games people, but also ex-Grasshopper Manufacture and Capcom (a given) too.

So I think OP is just mistaken.

NanaMiku

The game has Japanese dub too.

Damn, the Japanese dub is stack with famous VA

Chai – Robbie Daymond, Hiro Shimono
Peppermint – Erica Lindbeck, Toa Yukinari
CNMN – Sunil Malhotra, Hiroyuki Yoshino
Macaron – Gabe Kunda, Yasuhiro Mamiya
Korsica – Sarah Elmaleh, Yu Kobayashi
Mimosa – Camilla Arfwedson, Kikuko Inoue
Rekka – Misty Lee, Kimiko Saito
Zanzo – Todd Haberkorn, Wataru Takagi
Roxanne Vandelay – Rahnuma Panthaky, Naoko Koda
Kale Vandelay – Roger Craig Smith, Takehito Koyasu
Roquefort – David Fane, Fumihiko Tachiki

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

Tams

No one will be able to properly assess the full potential of Bayonetta 3 because of the switch hardware. Its an ugly ass shitty performing game with ambitious ideas that couldn’t be fully realized.

Any 3rd party dev making games exclusively on the switch at this point is underselling themselves
Bitch and moan all you want, but only Nintendo were willing to step up to the plate and put their money where their mouth is.

Platinum are lucky they even got to make Bayonetta 3. And Nintendo also supported Wonderful 101.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Bayonetta 3, why is this even a question?
So people can dunk on Switch indirectly and as many here directly (cue "dude, I own Switch and played Bayo 3", "dude, I own PC and emulated Bayo 3", "I'm being objective" type of bs), because they're frothing over its awesome library, success and how their favorite overlord didn't care to invest in Bayo when it needed it, so obviously some C tier character action game that at best competes with the likes of Platinum's lesser stuff like Legend of Korra has to be an equal or better alternative and one of the many Switch greats and itself have to have less value. PS: dude, I don't have a Switch 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

GHG

Damn, the Japanese dub is stack with famous VA

Chai – Robbie Daymond, Hiro Shimono
Peppermint – Erica Lindbeck, Toa Yukinari
CNMN – Sunil Malhotra, Hiroyuki Yoshino
Macaron – Gabe Kunda, Yasuhiro Mamiya
Korsica – Sarah Elmaleh, Yu Kobayashi
Mimosa – Camilla Arfwedson, Kikuko Inoue
Rekka – Misty Lee, Kimiko Saito
Zanzo – Todd Haberkorn, Wataru Takagi
Roxanne Vandelay – Rahnuma Panthaky, Naoko Koda
Kale Vandelay – Roger Craig Smith, Takehito Koyasu
Roquefort – David Fane, Fumihiko Tachiki

It should be illegal to not use the Japanese VO for this game.

The answer to this thread is Bayonetta though. It's miles ahead in terms of both combat mechanics and depth. To be honest it's a stupid comparison.

bender

What time is it?
One nice thing about HiFi which also works against it, at least on the default difficulty, is that it lets you be successful no matter your aptitude in rhythm games. It throws a ton of different ideas and mechanics at you and could have easily been punishing had the implementation of those mechanics been more stringent. I tried playing Metal Hellsinger a few months ago and fell off of it almost immediately. HiFi is much more welcoming in that regard.

Kacho

Both are great games

Metal Gear Rising still the GOAT character action game IMO. Never felt more like a badass playing that one.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I can't finalize it fully until I beat the game but currently it is absolutely on track for me to rank it above Bayonetta 3. And I scored Bayonetta 3 a 9.5/10.

The game doesn't have weak points. Bayonetta has weak story and dialogue and a few weak Jeanne levels. And the art style is a little weak on the humonculus enemies. This has great story and dialogue, music, animation even hilarious cutscenes. And it gets a giant bonus for being a new IP and new entry against an iterative sequel (Bayonetta 3). Bayonetta 3 is mechanically brilliant and what they accomplished with Demon Slave is why I ranked it #3 for 2022 on my list. But a lot of it is building on the first 2 games naturally. HFR gets points for a fully new combat system and insanely great art style, great characters. Its firing on all cylinders.

Both are among the best action games ever made. Literally.

Nothing compares to Bayo 3 in terms of combat gameplay so that’s an easy one for me.

Unless you can summon a train and fight with fire yo-yos in later levels of Hi-Fi Rush.

You need to see a few more gameplay videos of Hi-Fi Rush lol. You have the equivalent of a fire yo yo on the very first level of Hi-Fi Rush through one of your combos. Later you can fire Iron Man style beams from your chest to finish off combos. You can charge up your heavy attack and attract a crap ton of metals via magnetism to form a massive weapon that you can then use as part of your combo and so much more. It'll surprise you.

I can't finalize it fully until I beat the game but currently it is absolutely on track for me to rank it above Bayonetta 3. And I scored Bayonetta 3 a 9.5/10.

The game doesn't have weak points. Bayonetta has weak story and dialogue and a few weak Jeanne levels. And the art style is a little weak on the humonculus enemies. This has great story and dialogue, music, animation even hilarious cutscenes. And it gets a giant bonus for being a new IP and new entry against an iterative sequel (Bayonetta 3). Bayonetta 3 is mechanically brilliant and what they accomplished with Demon Slave is why I ranked it #3 for 2022 on my list. But a lot of it is building on the first 2 games naturally. HFR gets points for a fully new combat system and insanely great art style, great characters. Its firing on all cylinders.

Both are among the best action games ever made. Literally.

This is true. Hi-Fi Rush is definitely up there as one of the best action games ever made.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Folks, ignore the console warriors. Both are fantastic games, but they focus entirely on different things that it isn’t really fair to compare them. It would be like comparing Gran Turismo to Motorstorm. If you want silly and cartoony fun with some great rhythm based gameplay, play Hi Fi. If you want an absurd over the top story with incredibly in-depth combo systems, go Bayo 3.

Or just play both like a sane person.

Last edited:

Lethal01

It should be illegal to not use the Japanese VO for this game.

The answer to this thread is Bayonetta though. It's miles ahead in terms of both combat mechanics and depth. To be honest it's a stupid comparison.

Always go with the native language of media.

Lethal01

You need to see a few more gameplay videos of Hi-Fi Rush lol. You have the equivalent of a fire yo yo on the very first level of Hi-Fi Rush through one of your combos. Later you can fire Iron Man style beams from your chest to finish off combos. You can charge up your heavy attack and attract a crap ton of metals via magnetism to form a massive weapon that you can then use as part of your combo and so much more. It'll surprise you.

I love Hifi rush, but it's not coming close to Scratching the quality of Bayonetta 3's arsenal.

Chukhopops

I’ll reserve my judgment then since I haven’t played much of HiFi Rush. If it really matches Bayo 3 then it’s really impressive for a team like that.

Top Bottom