• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

best boss fights?

skip

for one of our little school projects...

what's your favorite boss fight?

from any generation, mid-boss or end-boss, most memorable, most challenging, or simply the best designed?

POST, AND YE SHALL BE REWARDED with nothing.

demi

Advent Rising.

Beyond Good & Evil.

Excellent music accompanying it, making the battles feel more epic.

Prospero

Zelda: Ocarina of Time has the single best boss fight I've ever played.

Honorable mention for FFX (the true final boss, not the one that haters complain about).

Matlock

Banned
Edgar Barrett - Psi-Ops.

You start the fight in a small engineer's room, he's using telekinesis to throw motor parts at you left and right. You keep on him, toss them back, and he'll eventually rip a machine out of the wall and run away. Go outside to meet him again...and...

Well, there was a tanker train sitting in the courtyard when you were last there. That segment is now hanging over your head with him about to throw it.

Just for the amazing setup, that battle is awesome.

The battle itself is pretty cool as well, with you running around using your developing powers to throw items from the environment at him while doding stuff only a freight train could move.

jenov4

Most of the boss battles from the MGS series. I'd say fighting The End was one of the greatest battles I've endured.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Of recent games, The End gets my vote. The fight with The End was such a fresh take on the idea of a "boss" fight. There really had never been anything quite like it before...

jett

D-Member
914828_20040511_screen001.jpg

The End and The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Richard Gray/The Master from Fallout

Phantom Ganon from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

The Black Dragon from Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

Chief Scalpem from Sunset Riders

Garnele - Einhander
Volgin - MGS3
Sniper Wolf - MGS1
Pandora's Guardian - God of War
Hydra - God of War
Warhawk - Twisted Metal Black

Jado

Banned
Most people already got OOT and the like covered...

Gruntilda in Banjo-Kazooie, after the big board game and the fake ending/credits.

That boss fight stunned me. The game is full of short, easy boss fights and that last one went completely against the rest. It was long with about 4 segments to the fight, and challenging enough that it took me repeat tries and forced me to max out my energy bar, eggs and feathers. I'd even say it felt epic as far as silly 3D platformers go. The music was really good too and remains burned in my mind.

Also: Bowser in Super Mario Bros 3. Not that it was anything spectacular but it had this feeling of "FINALLY" after a long-ass journey.

Also: Double Shredders in TMNT: The Arcade Game (NES version). Another boss' music permanently burned into my memory. And that devolving electric blast that covered half the screen and wiped out your entire energy bar was insane back when I was a kid.

discohiro

I wouldn't say this one's the best, but it's somewhat memorable...

Fighting Queen Bloated, Pulstating, Festering, Sweaty, Pus-filled, Malformed Slug-For-A-Butt from Earthworm Jim. The easy one hit kill was hillarious for its time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The Lucifer in Descent Freespace. The Shivan's main assault cruiser, jumps into hyperspace towards Earth. You're forced to jump in after it in your little fighter squadron and proceed to have this epic insane battle to disable all of The Lucifer's power cores while in the chaos of hyperspace. It has to be one of the most epic and memorable battles I've ever seen in a game.

Ranger X

The robot that stops the train in Contra Hard Corps. The rotating thingny in Gunstar Heroes. Kraid. Mother Brain in Super Metroid. Zeromus. End boss of Beyond Good And Evil.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The first boss of R-Type - I forget his name but the first time I saw it, I was blown away by the creepiness and the level of detail.

Zeromus - Best end guy fight ever in an RPG. The whole opening, setting the battle up, was classic - everybody getting their asses kicked by his power, then all your friends make a prayer for your survival. The boss fight had awesome music and he looked amazing.

The Running Man at the end of Area 4 in Rez - The music kicks ass and I love how you're flying through the tunnels. Absolutely insane and my favorite part of one of my favorite games.

Stage 6 of Radiant Silvergun - Battle with the shark guy, the turtle guy, and the bird, before fighting Xiga. Some extremely challenging shooter battles with graphics that push Saturn to its absolute limits.

Seven Force from Gunstar Heroes - You fight 3 of his 7 forms, and the ones that appear are totally random. The forms you fight in the vertical corridor are the hardest, tho. Added bonus when you fight the miniaturized version of Seven Force during the pseudo shooter Stage 6.

The Wind Cave boss in the Minish Cap - I love having to
shrink down and attack the pillars inside it
. Creative way of defeating the boss.

Liquid Snake in MGS - Fighting him aboard the moving vehicle, being careful not to fall off and die, was awesome, after a great fight vs. Metal Gear Rex. First boss battle that REALLY made me feel like I was in a Die Hard-style action movie, where it's one on one on some type of moving vehicle, where either of you are 1 second from death throughout the fight.

Kraid in Super Metroid - One of the biggest 2D bosses I've ever seen, looks awesome and the music rocks.

Borys

Banned
Metroid Prime: Meta Ridley, Metroid Prime, Omega Pirate, Thardus... shit make that the whole cast excluding Flaghraa.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm gonna say The End in MGS3. I remember the first time sniping him, and how I found him by the glare in the distance of the sun reflecting off his sniper scope. Fuckin' amazing.

It's not a particular 'boss battle', but it was definitely a crazy level, so I think the Seoul, South Korea mission in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory should be given recognition, too. Aside from not fighting an actual 'boss', this had everything else you should expect from an awesome boss fight.

Vlad

LakeEarth said:
m3.jpg

And that's him very very far away. At the time, it was the most impressive final boss I had ever seen.

Surprised that hasn't been mentioned more. That was an impressive fight not only because it was the largest player/boss size difference I've ever seen, but it managed to still come off as impressive after having played through the entire game, which was one insane fight after another anyway.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why do people like Thardus? He's just a rock pile, looks like the generic rock elemental model from Everquest :lol

Joeholley

I'll always have a soft spot for the final boss of FFII/IVj. The music during that fight is some of my favorite tunage ever. I've also always been a fan of the PCE Castlevania fight against Death in the upper rigging of the ghost pirate ship. Great fight, awesome setting.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Various Kong Bosses in DK: Jungle Beat. Not too challenging, but plays and looks awesome with the Matrix style dodges. Not to mention the actual beatings you lay on em is hilarious!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Schafer said:
Why do people like Thardus? He's just a rock pile, looks like the generic rock elemental model from Everquest :lol

Or that wierd Cyclops "Break down piece by piece, Fly across screen, Hit you, Then re-assemble" Boss from the very 1st Mega Man. Remember the Pause trick?

_Angelus_

Banned
gstaff said:
Last level of Contra III on hard.

On hard?! Fuuuuuuck!

It took 2 player on normal setting for a friend and I to beat the game years back.:lol

Some of my favorites would be the last boss's from Burning Rangers,Resident Evil One-that guy really scared the hell out of me,the last fortress ship in Panzer Dragoon. Another would be the crab creature that ran along side you and also from behind in the forest stage from Panther Dragoon Zwei,and later it seemed as though they resurrected him because there was a boss similiar to him in Panzer Dragoon Orta,only I think the battle took place in a desert canyon. Could be wrong though,its been awhile since I played this last one.

gstaff

Angelus said:
On hard?! Fuuuuuuck!

It took 2 player on normal setting for a friend and I to beat the game years back.:lol

On hard the brain comes back to life as you shoot up the helicopter at the end. It chases you up and at this point i was usually on one of my last guys of my last continue....so tough.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
recently I liked The End, Krauser, & Del Lago

in the old days I always liked smacking Robotnik around

some of the GoW bosses are too easy but they're fun to beat up

_Angelus_

Banned
gstaff said:
On hard the brain comes back to life as you shoot up the helicopter at the end. It chases you up and at this point i was usually on one of my last guys of my last continue....so tough.

:lol...godamn thats one relentless boss then. So did the game reccomend you try out an even harder mode afterwards? I remember immediately after beating Contra3 it said to keep going and aim for beating it on hard. My jaw dropped when I read that message. Cheers on your accomplishment there because that takes some *MAD* skill to pull off.

LakeEarth

3744.jpg

He rips a tree from the ground and uses it as a weapon. I repeat, he rips a tree from the ground and uses it as a weapon!

Ironclad

Thardus in Metroid Prime is cool when he starts creating this giant blizzard that makes you completely blind so you have to switch to your thermal visor at al ltimes. I thought that was a nice touch. Also, the first time you the Omega Pirate. It's easily 2 or 3 times larger than any previous boss fight in the game. Then when he dissappears and the beam-specific pirates flood the room. Still, he wasn't all that hard because the plasma beam has a high rate of fire and does a lot of damage. Meta Ridley is probably my favorite from Metroid Prime especially when you burn off his wings and he starts fighting you on the ground. Excellent.

MGS has excellent boss battles, especially Snake Eater, no need to list them. They're all so diversified so they never get repetitive.

Here's an odd mention. Hooktail from Paper Mario 2. The first time I fought him, he destroyed me. Mario and Goombella were both at good levels and I had a decent amount of healing items but we didn't stand a chance. After that, I scroll through my badges and equip the cricket sound badge. It was just so hillarious when he starts getting sick from the cricket noises. :lol

And of course, the obligatory RE 4 mention. El Gigante was great, I never even knew you could run on his back and slash at him. I just shot the plagas with my shotgun.

Vlad

Ironclad_Ninja said:
And of course, the obligatory RE 4 mention. El Gigante was great, I never even knew you could run on his back and slash at him. I just shot the plagas with my shotgun.

!!!

I've played through the game like three times, and I never knew that. I always shot the thing with a rifle or a bunch of pistol shots from a distance. Hell, the first time through, I ended up with about four pistol shots left and nothing else when he finally went down. I think I was just way too worried about getting close to him.

Top Bottom