• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Intense Boss Fights Reportedly Causing PS5 Consoles To Overheat

Status
Not open for further replies.
COME TO ME, IFRIT!

qwj2bseijt4a1.gif

FFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKK!!

8ghGD-1687031792-257609-blog-fire1.jpg
DAMN YOU!!!! Got me laughing hard as hell. People looking at me like a weirdo.

Mr Moose

She's talking about clean the consoles fan and heat sink, not sure how that's exposing as a slob lol.
*Me, with empty beer cans laying around*
You shut the fuck up!

I think people don't really think about cleaning their PCs/consoles all that often.
I bought a blower, that thing is noisy as F.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You shut the fuck up!

I think people don't really think about cleaning their PCs/consoles all that often.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073F9NY1X/

I'm gonna be honest, I have *never* had to open any of my consoles and clean them, Even the RROD Prone 360 consoles, in-fact I am one of those lucky ones who had a 360 for 8~ years and never saw a red ring on it.

But then again I've always kept all consoles in big open areas, seeing some people stuff theirs in the tiny compact areas under their TVs always freaks me out because I know there's a lot of hot air circulating around that 1 ft area.

You shut the fuck up!

I use my airbrush, works like a charm.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm gonna be honest, I have *never* had to open any of my consoles and clean them, Even the RROD Prone 360 consoles, in-fact I am one of those lucky ones who had a 360 for 8~ years and never saw a red ring on it.

But then again I've always kept all consoles in big open areas, seeing some people stuff theirs in the tiny compact areas under their TVs always freaks me out because I know there's a lot of hot air circulating around that 1 ft area.
Same, I never opened none of my consoles never had overheating problems, people can make fun of me but I'm scared opening of my consoles up for anything.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I was surprised how little dust had collected in my PS5s dust catcher thingies (it has two you are meant to remove the cover for and vacuum) and fan. My PC though had a lot more, and I have an air purifier above my PC :messenger_weary: I do use it more though so that could be why.

sachos

I posted about this on the Demo thread. I played the Demo on my brand new PS5 in Quality Mode and the final Eikon Boss fight of the demo dropped to what felt like sub 20 fps, maybe even 15 or less FPS. It did not warn me the console was overheating but it really felt like it was underclocling itself to stay cool like a PC GPU would.
Edit: I was also using the PS5 recording feature at 1080p so maybe that did affect the framerate.

Last edited:

Dthomp

This is worrisome news, as I have one of those launch PS5s that even with breakdown and cleanings at least every 6-9 months goes through this overheating bullshit with some of the beefier titles so I hope mine can make it through this. I've really been trying to hold out for a "pro" model or whatever that hopefully is a little better with air flow and ventilation then the launch models were

Shifty1897

I have a cleaning service come and clean the house every two weeks, so my house is never dusty. I've never had overheating issues with anything. Never felt the need to open up my PS5 or PS4 and dust it, though after these reports maybe I should today before FF16 unlocks at 9pm tonight.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol I never understood this claims that x game can overheat. The console draws full 200 watt with many games. It can’t draw more here

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I posted about this on the Demo thread. I played the Demo on my brand new PS5 in Quality Mode and the final Eikon Boss fight of the demo dropped to what felt like sub 20 fps, maybe even 15 or less FPS. It did not warn me the console was overheating but it really felt like it was underclocling itself to stay cool like a PC GPU would.
Edit: I was also using the PS5 recording feature at 1080p so maybe that did affect the framerate.
Ps5 always record and it doesn’t affect it.
That part of the demo just drops fps

Barakov

Gold Member
Some of the boss fights in Square Enix’s upcoming action role-playing game, Final Fantasy XVI, are reportedly causing PS5 consoles to overheat.

People with early access to copies of Final Fantasy XVI as well as those who have played the recently released demo have been reporting that the game tends to overheat their PS5 console during certain boss fights.

Twitter user TheSphereHunter stated that she has been playing a certain PS5 game that hasn’t yet been released, where a boss fight made her console overheat to the point where it just turned off completely at the end of the fight. Meanwhile, some members of gaming enthusiast forum, Reset Era, have also been having overheating issues with the game’s recently released playable demo on PS5. One member mentioned that he was fighting the Morbol boss when his PS5 showed a message stating that the console needed to be turned off in order to cool down.

Regardless of whether this is a common problem with those playing the game or its demo, it’s always a good idea to keep your console’s vents, fan and heat sink clean from potential dust that may accumulate over time.

Oh No Fire GIF

K2D

Banned
kKCZoIz.jpg

I'm impressed considering PS5 was build to avoid overheating and to throttle instead.

Tv Show Wow GIF by HULU

To complete the experience they should add smoke canisters, sirens and light beams.

nkarafo

I don't understand how a game can cause a system to overheat.

Isn't the CPU/GPU speed capped to the maximum acceptable level? A game shouldn't have access removing those caps and overclocking them. That's at the driver or bios level.

I get some games are more demanding than others. The more demanding the game, the closer to the caps it goes. But not beyond them. And operating close to the caps certainly shouldn't cause overheating. If it does then it could be for a million other reasons but not the game itself.

cireza

PS3 and PS4 both had overheating issues anyway, so this isn't exactly surprising.

Last edited:

Doom85

Wouldn't surprise me if it was part of some campaign to throw shade at the game from them. My PS5 is in a somewhat enclosed space and it stayed silent throughout the demo and the ambient temperature is pretty hot these days.

Yep, she clearly is trying to shit on FF XVI…

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Christ. What the fuck is going on with technical standards in this industry? They must've really needed Sony's help with this one.

damidu

is this the ps5 fud of the day? yawwn
(still waiting for the liquid metal in mine to melt the floor )

no a game will not overheat a ventilated system moron. just make sure you don’t live in pigsty.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No day one patch required....

People falling for marketing speak just becuase they like the director....
No patch required is true. You don’t need it.

Christ. What the fuck is going on with technical standards in this industry? They must've really needed Sony's help with this one.
You guys really believe this bs? The console still draws 200 watt. It’s not overheating on a boss lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom