• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best combat of any game?

Ballthyrm

the best Combo Action series,

Do card games count ?

magictpb-cover11.jpg

It going to be hard for me to think of a better combo system than Magic.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I like Tekken, Tekken 7 is great and the characterization of many of the fighting styles is really good.

God of War, the weight of combat, area control / tactical movement, combos and counters were fantastic and then you add specials and finishers. You actually have so many options, it's crazy!

Sekiro, I loved the rhythm of the combat, blocks, deflects, counters and the smooth movement. Some of the arm upgrades are insane.

Nioh was great too but I have to finish it and can't come to a full conclusion yet. I will play Nier Automata soon too, it's in my backlog. Hopefully, I'll be able to update this post after that.

3March

Banned
God of War, the weight of combat, area control / tactical movement, combos and counters were fantastic and then you add specials and finishers. You actually have so many options, it's crazy!
My main problem with God of War besides the camera/controls was the fact that most combos and counters only worked on the normal Draugr.

V2Tommy

I’m been gaming for a long time and I believe Ninja Gaiden Black is the one. It sometimes feels like a bullet-hell shooter, but with piranhas.

Nymphae

Banned
Maybe Max Payne 3 for me. Yeah it's not a combo crazy game like some others listed here, but that combat just feels perfect to me. I love shoot dodging and going for headshots.

Makariel

X-COM is pretty neat when it comes to turn-based combat. Playing X-COM Impossible Ironman is something else. I also like X-COM 2 but I know a lot of people don't like the turn limit, I found it was great since it forced me to think ahead.
Bloodborne and Sekiro are very satisfying with their melee combat
I remember the shooting in Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare was pretty neat, but haven't played it in years so no clue how much of that is nostalgia
Battlefield 1 was pretty good just in terms of shooting and navigating terrain, the only real problem were the other players :p
I loved Vanquish the first time round, but it hasn't aged quite that well
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is good fun, albeit a bit simplistic
Dark Souls II was almost perfected [...]
???
Dark Souls 2 was clunky as hell! It stands out for me as the most unwieldy combat in the entire series. The only thing that part got right was the build variety, but the actual combat was not that exciting.

Myths

Yeah, love FF12 too. Playing the recent TZA release was great fun. Made short work of Zodiark (see gif below, and don't blink :p)

TXp1CFz.gif

I haven't played FF5, but heard it was the inspiration for the Bravely games. Due to the number of options you have, the game always feels fresh and you can always think up new strategies. The best thing is how most abilities interact with each other. For example, you might have one ability that deals 4x damage but costs 50% of you total MP. Then another ability that reduces your MP cost to zero for two turns. Combine these two for awesome results. This is just a basic example, but in the full game you can do some crazy complex stuff. Highly recommend you try these if you get a chance. Perhaps remasters of these are being worked on.
You haven’t played FF5? I think I had you confused with MagiusNecros MagiusNecros , but yes I’d always checked out vids of Bravely. Like FF5, it seem to draw from FF3 as a base for its system but took a different route from there. Eventually, I’ll get around to playing it cause it looks pretty interesting.

johntown

Banned
Here is what I think has the best combat.

1. Ninja Gaiden - Black/Sigma - this is number one as the combat is so satisfying, technical and IMO just the best their is. Nothing is better.
2. Sekiro - this and number 3 were tough but overall this game has highly satisfying combat. Once you "truly" get it it is pretty awesome and you just feel powerful.
3. Devil May Cry (series) - number 3 as there is more button mashing here but still a very good combat system overall

Honorable mentions - Metal Gear Rising Revengenace, Final Fantasy XIII, Bloodborne and Dark Souls.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You haven’t played FF5? I think I had you confused with MagiusNecros MagiusNecros , but yes I’d always checked out vids of Bravely. Like FF5, it seem to draw from FF3 as a base for its system but took a different route from there. Eventually, I’ll get around to playing it cause it looks pretty interesting.

I have been summoned across worlds.

You should probably play BDFF. Skip the second one. Put me to sleep.

Naglafar

Vanquish, the thread. I think that is the most fun I have ever had had in any combat system. God of War 2018 is a close second though, that felt great to play.

Last edited:

xool

Metal Gear Revengeance

Not 100% sure about best combat (control niggles), actually would mark down GoW (4) for the same reason (because turn on R stick is tank controls..)

but surely Rising has the best boss fights ever ? (pls start that thread someone)

DESTROYA

Not 100% sure about best combat (control niggles), actually would mark down GoW (4) for the same reason (because turn on R stick is tank controls..)

but surely Rising has the best boss fights ever ? (pls start that thread someone)
It’s not facts bro just personal opinion, not every agrees with everything all the time.

xool

Just for fun, not because I think it's the best but because it's the only combat I'll watch someone else play .. - Exanima - it's a very slow burn .. drop in anywhere in a video

[edited for a better combat video]

Think PvE Totally Accurate Battle Simulator in a DnD world

Last edited:

radewagon

Jedi Academy is a great one.
It boggles my mind those dense pricks from EA still haven’t picked up on it.

Devil's advocate: The combat in Jedi Academy is too loose and has you slip-sliding and jumping around the environment as you spam your mouse clicks to swing your lightsaber (usually) regardless of whether or not your saber is likely to enter the opposing character's hitbox. Sure, in cherry picked videos, it can look quite elegant, but in reality it's kind of sloppy and ridiculous. It's fun, I guess, but there games out there with far superior sword combat. I'm glad it hasn't been replicated. It is fine as a relic of its time, but it doesn't deserve to be brought back.

sircaw

Banned
Quake 2 multiplayer on Q2dm1, The edge, back in the day. Strafing, all those trick jumps and ripping someone to pieces with that god damn epic chaingun, nothing has come close to that for me.

omagnas

Neo Member
I love the parkour/ninja running and gunning of Warframe. It's extremely satisfying running up the wall, leaping off and blasting guys from mid air

Naked Lunch

First Person: Halo. Nothing is even close, not even Counter Strike

3rd Person: Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry 3, Dark Souls, Vanquish, Lost Planet 2, Armored Core For Answer, God Hand, Sin&Punishment 1, Virtua On Ontorio Tangram

2D: Gunstar Heroes, Strider 2, Guardian Heroes, Bangai-O, Assault Suit Leynos, Metal Slug 3, Hyper Light Drifter

Vehicular: Battefield 1942 and 2 (PC), Ace Combat Zero, World of Tanks

RPG: Final Fantasy XII, Vagrant Story

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Just want to give Urban Reign on PS2 a nod. It had quite enjoyable combat for its time.

???
Dark Souls 2 was clunky as hell! It stands out for me as the most unwieldy combat in the entire series. The only thing that part got right was the build variety, but the actual combat was not that exciting.

most weapons combat besides a halberds and a few others was superior to an already great dark souls 1 combat system

i didnt care much for dark souls 3 combat. it was more like bloodborne its different. havent played sekiro yet but i heard great things

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm gonna nominate For Honor, Tekken 7, Ninja Gaiden, Dark Souls 3.

I believe great combat isn't just how you feel dealing damage and comboing, but also how fun the combat the enemy throws at you. As much as I like games like Nier, I just don't feel the combat itself was as fun as some other games. Mainly because the enemies were too easy, bosses as well.

I love Halo and don't think anything comes close to it in the FPS genre. That being said, I'm going with the original Smash Bros for the N64. No supers. Small but diverse group of fighters. Slower and less about speed. And then the tried but true formula where at first getting hit has only minor impacts. However over time as you take more and more damage you become like a ticking time bomb ready to be obliterated off the map. It's a really cool formula for fun. Oh and the ever present danger of falling off the level.

anthraticus

Banned
When it comes to FPS, give me something realistic, methodical & tactical like Hidden & Dangerous 2, Operation Flashpoint, old R6 games (Raven Shield and earlier) , og Ghost Recon, SWAT 3/4...

OR give me some crazy off the wall fast paced action like og DOOM, Duke 3D, Blood, ect....

Not a fan of the 'in between' type stuff.

As far as turn based combat goes....Jagged Alliance 2 & Temple of Elemental Evil, Knights of the Chalice.

Melee/action combat - Ninja Gaiden Black, Dark Souls, Blade of Darkness, Dark Arisen.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Mount and Blade Warband. I know this is a weird opinion considering all the other games suggested so far, because the combat is very simple, but that's almost all the game's got and I still loved it enough that I put probably 200 hours into the various iterations of Mount and Blade.

Are you talking about real combat or just action game mash combos because that's not real combat.

Seems looking at the examples in the OP you're in the latter area.

Top Bottom