• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best fried chicken in your city

No need to exclude chains. But if those are winning, damn, that really sucks for your town.

These are my top​ three for LA County:

1. Howlin Ray's - I finally got to visit Howlin Ray's the other day, and it's as good as its hype. They're known for their spicy chicken sandwich, but I got the non-spicy fried chicken, and it was crispy, juicy, and delicious. Even the white meat was good, and white meat sucks.

2. Tokyo Fried Chicken - Their blend of spices gives their chicken a unique flavor, and they have amazing sides to go with it, like chicken rice and truffle edamame. This place is owned by a former izakaya taisho who got bored and revamped his whole restaurant to do fried chicken. They don't even serve white meat because white meat sucks.

3. Sir Pizza 'n Chicken - Their chicken is broasted (pressure fried--not "roasted, bro"), and it's really good. Not Howlin Ray's good but still really good.

Bonus: Tenkatori - Their chicken karaage is the best.

Dynomutt

My Moms. No Joke No Lie.

I'm hella' picky about fried chicken. It's either hella' dry or it has not flavor and too much breading.

Plus she de-veins and brines the chicken. Where we come from meat prep is a must.

If I must Slims Chicken.

pa22word

I mean if we being honest this is kind of a joke question if you live in the south. It's fucking fried chicken, everyone knows how to make it. The only real barometers to better or worse is usually down to freshness of the bird and what you used to bread and fry it.

Like, there's no real "oh this place has awesome chicken I wanna go there because I need chicken" type of thing. I might settle for chicken if Im out and about and am feeling it, but if I want /great/ chicken Im busting out the cast iron skillet.

I mean if we being honest this is kind of a joke question if you live in the south. It's fucking fried chicken, everyone knows how to make it. The only real barometers to better or worse is usually down to freshness of the bird and what you used to bread and fry it.

Like, there's no real "oh this place has awesome chicken I wanna go there because I need chicken" type of thing. I might settle for chicken if Im out and about and am feeling it, but if I want /great/ chicken Im busting out the cast iron skillet.
I mean, I've been to places like New Orleans, where even Popeyes is pimp, but even they have go-tos, like Willie Mae's.

pa22word

I mean, I've been to places like New Orleans, where even Popeyes is pimp, but even they have go-tos, like Willie Mae's.

I think that post came off waaaay harsher than I meant...

I mean yeah places have awesome chicken worth getting, I ain't saying that it's bad to stop there or something. But if I want just want fantastic fried chicken it's really, really hard to beat just the good old fashioned cast iron with lard.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Giant image warning

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/nI6jauP.jpg[/IMG]

Best fried chicken in tokyo is korean fried chicken. That's just reality.

Kas

I'd kill to find good friend chicken in the Lakes Region up here in NH.

Sadly, the best fold around here is usually the food you make yourself.

Live in LA in a place where the only fried chicken available is KFC.
When it comes to chicken, I prefer rotisserie chicken from Costco, Zankou Chicken, and Juan Pollo.
There's also a hole in the wall place that has the best chicken shawarma.

daffy

Banned
Here's mine for LA county:

1) Popeyes Fried Chicken
2) Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken
3) Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles

I'm a big fan of the fried chicken (toriki no karaage) they started serving at Tori Kizoku a few years ago. (anywhere in Japan)

I could probably hunt out some better places, but it's pretty damn good for izakaya food and goes well with the cheap beer they serve!

Tevious

I live in Seoul, so there's great Korean style fried chicken all over the place. I don't think I could choose one place. Basically any place here is better than KFC or Popeyes. I prefer oven roasted chicken though.

636095563782770066-CrackChicken-FreshFishFry.jpg

Some place called Crack Chicken.

hoserx

Here in Cleveland, we have a local chain named Mr. Chicken, which is really fantastic if you can get it when it's fresh. Their cole slaw is the best, too. Loads of horseradish in it.

I live in a town of barely a thousand people, we have three choices, a bland family diner, a bar/restaurant or the local grocery deli... The latter is the best of the three and sadly from my experience the best fried chicken in the county which includes the main city with its own non-fast food chain restaurants,grocery deli and a KFC. Not as if it's something super special or anything, it's just the most competent.

amanset

The worst thing about Sweden is the lack of fried chicken. There were stories a year or so ago that KFC was going to make another attempt to break into the Swedish market but I haven't seen it yet.

Sotha_Sil

When I was in Baton Rouge, it was the Chicken Shack.

Now that I'm in Lake Charles, probably Ball's Chicken (but I haven't had time to really check the area).

We don't do fried chicken and don't even have fast food joints that do. It's hard out here.

The worst thing about Sweden is the lack of fried chicken. There were stories a year or so ago that KFC was going to make another attempt to break into the Swedish market but I haven't seen it yet.

Same here. KFC will come again later this year but i hate them.

Kuntz

Can't buy food anywhere in my village.
Shrug.
Nearest fried chicken place is like a one hour drive away so I guess i'll never know if it's the best or not.

There is KFC in Malmö, Karlstad and one opens in Göteborg in next week. Also Västerås soon ish too. So theyre establishing themselves again.

From what ive seen and read theyre good franchises.

Laieon

I've been living in Korea since 2014, couldn't tell you if I tried. I think Koreans have perfected fried chicken. I don't think I've had bad fried chicken since I've been here.
Chimek is amazing.

Any neat fried chicken tips for my upcoming Boston, NYC trip? Maybe wrong part of the country for it.

Best fried chicken ive had was a Gus's World Famous in Memphis.
Best fast food chicken, Popeye's.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
For me, nothing beats the homemade stuff my family makes, but if I had to go with a chain place it'd definitely be Popeye's

edbrat

screw you people in fried chicken nirvanas in the US and Seoul.

Anyone know anywhere in London better than the pengest munch?

amanset

There is KFC in Malmö, Karlstad and one opens in Göteborg in next week. Also Västerås soon ish too. So theyre establishing themselves again.

From what ive seen and read theyre good franchises.

That's good to hear. Can't wait for them to hit Stockholm.

I once walked into a fried chicken place in Ealing, London and drunkenly just said "I want to buy all your chicken". Admittedly it was after pub closing time and they were basically closing up for the day, but we negotiated a price and I went home with an arseload of chicken. Breakfast the day after was monumental.

I'm still not sure if I was being awesome or a dick though. Or awesomely dickish.

Top Bottom