• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If I go to your city, tell me 3 places I -have- to eat

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Inspired by the fried chicken thread, give me three eating spots that you frequent where you live (or consider your hometown, I guess) and would go out of your way to take friends that are visiting.

I'll start. I live in the Bay Area, so San Francisco, Oakland, even San Jose. My 3 favorites right now:

Taqueria San Bruno (Yelp)

Located just off of the San Bruno Caltrain. I used to live in Mexico so I know a good taco when I see one, these are the best the Bay Area has to offer, in my opinion. My personal criteria is:

-get a taco, not a burrito or whatever, man, a taco
-get a regular taco, dont fall for the "super" tacos, those are just drowned in cheese and sour cream, ruins it
-al pastor, always al pastor

o.jpg

This place just fucking destroys on all accounts, they obviously have lengua, tripa and all the must haves plus amazing, amazing chips and salsa. Great prices, pro tip, ask for avocado on top of your taco. I keep bringing people here and they're all blown away. It also has a Michelin recommendation, which is pretty damn impressive for such a small place surrounded by car shops.

Ramen Dojo (Yelp)

Located in San Mateo, this has been my favorite ramen stop around here for a very long time and the closest I've found to ramen thats comparable to what I have in Japan. Lines are crazy so I recommend going in during the weekday at around 1pm and you'll find a table. They specialize in meat based/tonkotsu ramen while Ramen Parlor next door (same owner) is more shrimp based. They have a crazy super garlic ramen that some people love but for me tonkotsu, extra egg and a beer is all I need.

Hom Korean Kitchen (Yelp)

This one is all the way in San Jose. I was tempted to recommend Bon Chon Chicken instead, which is the shit, but I have to vouch for the locally owned badassery of this joint.

Its basically like a burrito bowl in Chipotle, but based on Korean food. You pick your base (rice, toasted rice, salad) pick a meat (they have Korean steak!), veggies, kimchi etc. Many things about it make it exceptional. Really high execution (I'm not a veggies guy and I gulf them down), really good meat, homemade spicy sauce, homemade ginger ale that they serve with Shōchū as well. They go the extra mile and offer a fried egg on top, its really, really good stuff.

In SF proper I don't know many spots, so I'm sure I'm missing out on some good shit. What about you and where you live? I travel a fair bit so chances are youre helping a felloow Gaffer out by sharing :D

Raleigh, NC:

Death & Taxes
Shortlisted for the James Beard award for Best New Restaurant last year, this is one of several Ashley Christensen restaurants around the city and probably my favorite, although it's pricey.

Clyde Cooper's
Best barbecue in town. Eastern style. New location, but it's been around since 1938. Cash only.

Bida Manda
Laotian food. It's really good. They also own Brewery Bhavana next door, which is like a beer store, florist, bookshop, and dim sum place rolled into one.

Honorable Mentions: Big Ed's (for breakfast), Poole's (for lunch), Chuck's (for burgers), Gringo a Go Go (for tacos), Guasaca (for arepas), Trophy (for pizza), Second Empire (if someone else is paying), and Bojangles (obviously).

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Portland

HA/VL - great Vietnamese soup
Le Pigeon - best restaurant in Portland
OX - Meat paradise

I live in Krum texas we have 2 restaurants, a sonic drive in and a golden chick

the italian food place is ok, the tex mex place is real good

SephLuis

I live in Brazil in a city called Curitiba and we have:

1. Montanha (The Mountain)

A burger more famous with university students. It's a burger with everything you can think (tomato, lettuce, etc, etc) plus an entire pastel.

gd_x-montanha.jpg

2. Lombada

Think of a massive pizza

658927.jpg

3. Gigantic Pastel or hot dog

I don't got a picture for that one since it's more of a common business here made by a lot of small stands/places. You can pick many, many types of pastel or hot dogs and in some places you can choose the ingredients to make them. The thing is, you can choose from more than 50+ ingredients and you can choose to put everything if you would like. The size of those dishes is also usually gigantic.

This is just scratching the surface. We got tons of awesome restaurants here from tons of different places around the world.

LionPride

Banned
Memphis

Imma cheat

Brekfast
Brother Juniper's
Another Broken Egg
Staks

Lunch/Dinner
Gus's Fried Chicken
Central BBQ
Soul Fish

Dessert
La Michoacana
Gibson's Donuts
Jerry's Sno Cones

So mant more places I could name, food trucks, pizza places, more desserts, specific food places, more breakfast spots, whatever you want.

Portland

HA/VL - great Vietnamese soup
Le Pigeon - best restaurant in Portland
OX - Meat paradise

Also Portland. I agree with you on Le Pigeon. I'd swap out HA/VL and OX for Toro Bravo and Beast (though I've never eaten at HA/VL). Part of me would put Bollywood Theater on there, just because it's a place I'd rather eat at on a regular basis. But Le Pigeon, Beast and Toro Bravo are hard to knock off.

JoeBoy101

Raleigh, NC

- Bad Daddy's Burgers
- Bill Ellis BBQ (though not TECHNICALLY in Raleigh, its the best BBQ place in the area)
- Beasley's Chicken & Honey (per the previous thread)

Honorable Mentions:

- The Yard House
- Cowfish Sushi and Burger Bar

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Toronto, Ontario:

Kaiju - Japanese Curry
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/kaiju-toronto

Tiny place that tastes great but is in an awful location (basement food court of some mall - extremely easy to miss). The place looks like a food court stall, but serves amazing curry that belongs in a much nicer restaurant.

thespot84

Raleigh, NC

- Bad Daddy's Burgers
- Bill Ellis BBQ (though not TECHNICALLY in Raleigh, its the best BBQ place in the area)
- Beasley's Chicken & Honey (per the previous thread)

Honorable Mentions:

- The Yard House
- Cowfish Sushi and Burger Bar

It doesn't make it any less good, but did you know Bad Daddy's is a chain? They're in NC, SC, and CO. As is the Yard house.

I went to cowfish in Charlotte, it was pretty damned good.

Tagyhag

Well I'll just narrow it down from Los Angeles to just the San Fernando Valley.

1. Dr. Hogly Wogly's (BBQ)
2. Asanebo (Sushi and grilled fish)
3. Cici's cafe (sit down place, specializes in pancakes)

ryseing

Raleigh, NC:

Death & Taxes
Shortlisted for the James Beard award for Best New Restaurant last year, this is one of several Ashley Christensen restaurants around the city and probably my favorite, although it's pricey.

Clyde Cooper's
Best barbecue in town. Eastern style. New location, but it's been around since 1938. Cash only.

Bida Manda
Laotian food. It's really good. They also own Brewery Bhavana next door, which is like a beer store, florist, bookshop, and dim sum place rolled into one.

Honorable Mentions: Big Ed's (for breakfast), Poole's (for lunch), Chuck's (for burgers), Gringo a Go Go (for tacos), Guasaca (for arepas), Trophy (for pizza), Second Empire (if someone else is paying), and Bojangles (obviously).

Chuck's is overrated. Good boozy shakes though. +1 to Guasaca.

Best take-out in Raleigh is Five Star, and Village Draft House has the best wings.

lem0n

Come to AZ and there's a few places you should go! All in the valley, just outside Phoenix-

DeFalcos in Scottsdale. Best Italian in the state. I eat there all the time.

Joes BBQ in Gilbert. Amazing BBQ and I've yet to find better. Like, in any state.

Sals Gilbert Pizza in, you guessed it, Gilbert. Get their specialty Baked Ziti pizza.

Flo_Evans

This is a tough question. I always ask people what they are actually into. Do you want the best local places making stuff you can't get anywhere else or do you want our best attempt at a french restaurant in the midwest?

Izuna

Banned
London:

Chosen Bun (Fulham)
Bluebird (Chelsea)
Bleeker St (Victoria) <-- if they do medium rare burgers again

Come to AZ and there's a few places you should go! All in the valley, just outside Phoenix-

DeFalcos in Scottsdale. Best Italian in the state. I eat there all the time.

Joes BBQ in Gilbert. Amazing BBQ and I've yet to find better. Like, in any state.

Sals Gilbert Pizza in, you guessed it, Gilbert. Get their specialty Baked Ziti pizza.

subbed! I'm traveling to this area next week and was in the process of googling where to eat, I had Blanco Tacos and Tequila on my list, any good? I'll probably go to the places you listed instead, stoked!

Bury st Edmunds not far from Cambridge. Nobody will ever come here though and I don't blame you.

The Fox and Hound pub - Great steak nights, amazing food all around with local ales at cheap prices.

The Manger pub - Great for game meats and generally good menu. Bit pricey though.

Baxter's Street Sandwich Shop - This place is a must. Massive amount of options, build your own and a small business run by a great lady. Well known as THE lunchtime spot of the town and the queue is always bigger than your lunchbreak if you don't get there fast. For £3 you leave with a massive beast on almost inch wide sliced bread with around an inch and a half filling. You won't be leaving hungry.

Is Bon Chon that good? I pass it almost every day and never thought twice about checking it out. Guess I'll have to now.

We have 2 here in Columbus, 1 already closed. I think its fine, but wouldnt even say its a top 3 place (not even top 50) here, couldnt even imagine NYC.

lem0n

subbed! I'm traveling to this area next week and was in the process of googling where to eat, I had Blanco Tacos and Tequila on my list, any good? I'll probably go to the places you listed instead, stoked!

I've not been to either of those places, unfortunately! I might check them out, though! My GF and I are always trying new places to eat. I have heard of Blanco Tacos, though, but I don't know much about them. If you do stop in any of those places, please let me know what you thought of them!! If you gotta choose just one, hit Defalcos.

HylianTom

Banned
New Orleans, but for this conversation we'll go outside of the French Quarter..

Lunch: Parasol's. Get the shrimp po-boy or the roast beef po-boy.

Dinner: Jacques-Imos. The alligator sausage cheesecake is a must.

Dessert: District Donuts. Everything is amazing here. If you live nearby, this place will contribute to you gaining weight.

NYC

Patsy/Artichoke Basille's/Totonnos/Di Fara's pizza take your pick.

Casa Adela in the east village for some good ass Puerto Rican cuisine.

Sammy's fish box out in City Island.

Hankodank

If you ever come to Ann Arbor, MI, Mario Batali has you covered: http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/10/where_does_mario_batali_eat_wh.html

He omits a few good ones and Zingerman's is way overrated but it's a good starting point.

Man - the Inspired Cuban at Frita Batidos literally changed my life. Best sandwich I've ever had - and that place is *always* packed when I swing by!

I agree, Zingerman's is overrated, but the quality of the food makes up for the pretentious vibe...

Shalimar used to by my favorite for Indian cuisine - but Cardamom has taken over that spot. Even better since they expanded their dining room and added the bar!

I haven't been there in a while, but the Blue Nile was always pretty good.

Also - if you come to Ann Arbor, you can't leave without hitting up Blimpy Burger for a gut bomb...

and the Fleetwood Diner for some Hippie Hash. The Fleetwood isn't for everyone (as the yelp reviews show) - but I've always enjoyed grabbing a bite there...

boxoctosis

Edinburgh;

El Cartel - tiny wee mexican place. Doesn't take bookings. Amazing food though, absolutely first rate.

Pomegranate - small Lebanese place beyond the east end of Princes Street. Superb nan breads to die for.

Mother India - Indian curry tapas. Always rammed, and rightly so. Buy the lime pickle curry.

Maringá - PR - Brazil

Habanero
International cuisine, they prepare pretty much every type of food with their rotating menu and...excel at everything. The kinda place that you can go to, order any dish at random, and be confident that the result will be most excellent. Better reserve a table during weekend nights, otherwise you might have to wait more than an hour.

Pizzaria Marcelu's
their proposition is quite simple: loaded pizzas, weighting at 2pounds+ for a large, and fried polenta and chicken. The polenta is made with chicken stock, so it tastes godly. Cheap. Delicious. Packed on weekends.

Pavan
Traditional brazilian bbq joint. Best on weekends. Good selection of meats and a terrific desserts buffet.

I live in Brazil in a city called Curitiba and we have:
2. Lombada

Think of a massive pizza

658927.jpg

that aint a pizza. that's a goddamn pie.

Dallas, TX - This is a toughie. But from my limited experience...

Lockhart Smokehouse (Sorry Pecan Lodge) - Bishop Arts District
Rodeo Goat - Design District
Emporium Pies - Deep Ellum or Bishop Arts

painey

Minneapolis/St Paul

1. The Nook
People talk about Jucy Lucys and argue about Matts Bar and the 508 club, but honestly those two aren't even the top 2 places in the cities to get one. The Nook takes the cake.

2. Giordano's
Sure, it's a "chain", but it's the best deep dish pizza you are going to find outside of Chicago. It's the best any-dish pizza you are going to find in the state to be honest.

3. Runyon's
A dive-y little bar in downtown Minneapolis serves the best buffalo wings in the state. The price is high, but the portion size is large too.

JoeBoy101

It doesn't make it any less good, but did you know Bad Daddy's is a chain? They're in NC, SC, and CO. As is the Yard house.

I went to cowfish in Charlotte, it was pretty damned good.

True, but you never been to this one. Its not even how good the food is...

the service is insane. Apparently the owner is an obsessive/compulsive or something but each time I go, I get waited on by no less than 5 different servers. They all have it straight and are always right there ready, but never smothering. First time I was there, I have them a 50% tip. Single handledly the best service I've ever had at a restaurant.

Brhoom

Banned
Kuwait

Breakfast/Brunch: Cafe Bazza

644125458.jpg

brk3.jpg

Lunch: Freej Suwaileh

&

&

Dinner: Souq Al Mubarakeya

It's one of the oldest markets here, there many places here that sells grilled meats, just sit at anyone of them and order everything!!!

souq-almubarkiah-kuwait.jpg

&

436x328_44240_238646.jpg

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Also Portland. I agree with you on Le Pigeon. I'd swap out HA/VL and OX for Toro Bravo and Beast (though I've never eaten at HA/VL). Part of me would put Bollywood Theater on there, just because it's a place I'd rather eat at on a regular basis. But Le Pigeon, Beast and Toro Bravo are hard to knock off.

I came really close to putting Bollywood on there, as I personally love the place. So fucking good. Beast is good, but I hesitate for 2 reasons, set menu and communal seating. I'm not against the former, but the 2nd one... I fucking hate.

Toro Bravo is great, all his places really are. Though I honestly recommend Tasty N Sons (or Alder) for the Gorham treatment as it's a bit more accessible and more "Portland" if that makes sense.

Ox is just good.

HA/VL is the best... or Rose VL... same owners really.. but you have to like that kind of soup... but if you do it's heaven on earth.

Top Bottom