• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best fried chicken in your city

Swhalen

For me it's this small korean fried chicken place a friend introduced... I wouldn't have ever found it if I hadn't been shown. The windows are entirely covered, it's dark and a bit sketchy. It's packed every night until like 2am.

Best order... Green onion chicken, spicy rice cake, pitcher of beer and a bottle of soju.

paolo11

No need to exclude chains. But if those are winning, damn, that really sucks for your town.

These are my top​ three for LA County:

1. Howlin Ray's - I finally got to visit Howlin Ray's the other day, and it's as good as its hype. They're known for their spicy chicken sandwich, but I got the non-spicy fried chicken, and it was crispy, juicy, and delicious. Even the white meat was good, and white meat sucks.

2. Tokyo Fried Chicken - Their blend of spices gives their chicken a unique flavor, and they have amazing sides to go with it, like chicken rice and truffle edamame. This place is owned by a former izakaya taisho who got bored and revamped his whole restaurant to do fried chicken. They don't even serve white meat because white meat sucks.

3. Sir Pizza 'n Chicken - Their chicken is broasted (pressure fried--not "roasted, bro"), and it's really good. Not Howlin Ray's good but still really good.

Bonus: Tenkatori - Their chicken karaage is the best.

I live in LA and I never heard of these. Which are the best out of the three?

I live in LA and I never heard of these. Which are the best out of the three?
I recommend all three, but keep in mind that Howlin Ray's and TFC both feature waits that could be quite long. Howlin' Rays is open for lunch-ish time only, and TFC is dinner only, so you can get both on the same, amazing day.

paolo11

NYC has a couple great places..

Hill Country Fried Chicken - Nice classic Southern style fried chicken. Delicious pies also available for dessert

Momofuku - This is an incredible dining experience that combines southern and korean style fried chickens. You need at least 4 people to get a (hard to get) reservation for it. Worth trying one time

Momo has Korean Fried Chickens??? I thought it's specialty is the Ramen which by the way it's really good.

v1lla21

If anyone in the southbay, particularly San Jose, know of a good place for fried chicken please post asap. I've been craving it for a long time but I don't wanna go to bummy ass KFC.

CSJ

There are no fried chicken places where I live, I fucking hate you all :(
Guess I'll have to make my own this weekend!

kotodama

Definitely Korean Fried Chicken is the best, but they all closed down by me. Jollibee, surprisingly, has pretty good spicy fried chicken.

Wood Man

I've never been but I hear Yardbird has the best fried chicken in South Florida.

Personally Popeye's and Publix are good for me.

JoeBoy101

Stop putting honey on chicken for the love of God. What is it with Americans always adding sugar and honey to meat?

Ya know, opinions CAN be wrong. And if you think that is terrible, come on over for some Smoked Boston Butt rubbed with Brown Sugar and spices. Sweet and savory.

Flo_Evans

Southern (nashville style)

BMi8PMw.jpg

runner up King Edwards (more new orleans style)

Rourkey

In the UK your only choice KFC or botulism.

We do have Kens Fried Chicken in my home town of Portsmouth that still delivers till 5am which is handy and it's not too bad I suppose

iavi

Thanks for the info. I've started working downtown and am a few blocks away from here. Do you know how South compares to Kiki's or Sarom's? Those are the local joints I've hit up for fried chicken when the craving struck.

That's what's-up. I'd love to work in midtown

South is better than both. And I like both of them as well. Hell, Saroms chicken and waffles is a go-to of mine when I want a hearty breakfast

Meier

Austin here: Gus Fried Chicken (another location of the Memphis restaurant) is worth trying to find parking downtown. I've heard good things about Lucy's, but have yet to try the place.

Can confirm that Gus' is very good but I prefer Lucy's.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
richies-fast-food-restaurant-cincinnati-6083895.jpg

Cincinnati, Ohio Richie's Restaurant. It's a Soul Food place but their chicken is top natch. Their spicy Chicken is so damn good and it's super greasy like KFC.

Have you had Jay's Chicken in the Marathon on Kennedy?

WaterAstro

There's a place in Vancouver called, ironically, LA Chicken.

It's a non-chain, fried chicken fast-food that is way better than the chains and even finer restaurants that serve fried chicken.

coy

That's what's-up. I'd love to work in midtown

South is better than both. And I like both of them as well. Hell, Saroms chicken and waffles is a go-to of mine when I want a hearty breakfast
Appreciate the response! I'll be hitting up South real soon after reading this as I like those other places as well.

h1nch

Cullum's Attagirl in San Antonio TX.

I just discovered this Tobin Hill gem not too long ago. It's technically a bar, but they make some of the best Fried / Memphis hot chicken wings I've ever had.

The southern fried wings are my absolute fav.

Looking at momofuku, $150 for just the chicken, tip not included? bwhahahaha cmon. Aint bottomless either, just two chickens. Lord.

Albaik looks legit af tho

parasight

Toronto's finest fried chicken is far and beyond, Bar Fancy. It's a little known spot, but I promise you it will blow you away. Never had anything quite like it. Oh, and they do Happy Hour every day from 5-7PM for $2 a piece with purchase of drink.

I've tried Dirty Bird, Electric Mud, The Fry, Oddseoul and most of the other usual contenders. A few of my friend's have also had Stockyards, and so far our consensus still stands that Bar Fancy stands tall among every other joint.

fsa.gif

I'm sad the original location is shutting down and relocating. First time I ever went there, I saw a sweet little old church lady whack a homeless guy upside the head with her purse and throw him out.

The mixture of people at the original is the truest American melting pot known to man. And every single person there just wants to rock some of that fried heaven!

Drain You

Wish I knew of a good place for fried chicken near me. CT has a lack of really good friend chicken and BBQ compared to a lot of other places.

Toronto's finest fried chicken is far and beyond, Bar Fancy. It's a little known spot, but I promise you it will blow you away. Never had anything quite like it. Oh, and they do Happy Hour every day from 5-7PM for $2 a piece with purchase of drink.

I've tried Dirty Bird, Electric Mud, The Fry, Oddseoul and most of the other usual contenders. A few of my friend's have also had Stockyards, and so far our consensus still stands that Bar Fancy stands tall among every other joint.

I'll be trying this, this weekend

Top Bottom