• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best-looking games of 2023?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So, what does GAF consider the most stunning-looking games of 2023? We don't have any major title left for the remainder of the year so we might as well do it now.

A few candidates:

Alan Wake II
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty (RT Overdrive)
Rift Apart (PC)
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Dead Space Remake
Robocop Rogue City

TLOU Part I on PC also looks great but it doesn't stand apart much from the PS5 version so it doesn't make the cut for me because it's basically a return of the 2022 game.

Do keep in mind that this is just to discuss what you find the most visually appealing. So games with a great art style that aren't necessarily technical marvels such as Hi-Fi Rush also count. List your top 3 candidates and after about a week, I'll compile the list and make a poll with the "finalists".

Go.

Last edited:
Spiderman is a looker in photo mode

gU1pGEV.jpg
6Mcldo4.jpg
IlJTGuQ.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Shouldve waited two days for Avatar to come out.

Not going to touch DLCs like Horizon and Cyberpunk because I already counted them in prior years, but this year id say Alan Wake 2, Starfield and Spiderman 2 impressed me the most.

Not sure how to rank them yet because they each have their own strengths and i want to play robocop more, but my top 5 is probably something like this.

- Alan Wake 2
- Spiderman 2
- Starfield
- Robocop
- Forza 8

Avatar will top everything though.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was blown away by The Talos Principle 2. It's absolutely stunning. Just stunning. It was totally unexpected. One of the most gorgeous games I've ever played in my life.

Definitely NOT Stafield in my opinion as it is too inconsistent, textures and modelling are nice but character faces look awful, animation is average at best and overall the game just looks dated.

My vote would be Alan Wake 2 on PC but I still think Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, which was released on PC this year, still looks absolutely stunning. Both games have consistently high production values and push the boundaries of graphical tech in ways that Starfield definitely doesn't.

tommib

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor
Dead Space
Final Fantasy XVI
Alan Wake 2
Super Mario RPG
Metroid Prime Remastered

Last edited:
Metroid Prime Remastered. Art still holds up.
I wouldn't qualify it for this thread, but Nintendo did good lighting, model, and texture work in doing enough to make someone think that's how they remembered the game, but not too much to where it's drastically different. This is one of the best examples of matching the technical term of 'remastering' something.

maxresdefault.jpg

oysbn97s42ha1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Foe0M3daQAElYAf.jpg

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Cyberpunk 2077. 4 years in a row now. I guess we need to wait for GTA VI and even then it will most likely not surpass CP in some aspects (things like lighting).

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I wouldn't qualify it for this thread, but Nintendo did good lighting, model, and texture work in doing enough to make someone think that's how they remembered the game, but not too much to where it's drastically different.

maxresdefault.jpg

oysbn97s42ha1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Foe0M3daQAElYAf.jpg
That's why I said the art still holds up. It's like they updated the art without changing it, and like you said how you remember it but not really.

I think art style and environment is more important than RTX and stuff. Tho it does run at 60FPS.

Hohenheim

Alan Wake 2 with all settings on max in 4K gets my vote. Easily.
Haven't played Cyberpunk with path tracing and everything on max yet though.

Hudo

On a technical level? Probably Cyberpunk 2077 with all the bells and whistles turned on.
Runner up: Alan Wake 2

And Street Fighter 6 for its animations.

HL3.exe

Alan Wake 2 and Phantom Liberty for me. Especially Alan Wake. Those micropoly's are insane.

Robocop's animation are laughably bad sometimes, even though UE5 rendering can be on point.

Dead Space Remake to often recycled 2008 PS360 animation, especially noticable with the wall hanging guys. It felt dated and cheap in those instances.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

These are the games that really impressed me visually this year:

- FF16: some bosses are absolutely jaw dropping with insane lighting and particle effects
- Octopath Traveler 2: A pure aesthetic marvel if you love 16bits style
- Red Matter 2 (PSVR2): being in space, seeing Saturn or Uranus was one of the most insane stuff I have ever seen
- Horizon COTM (PSVR2): almost on par with FW but in fucking VR. Some set pieces were damn impressive too
- AC6: yes its not a technical marvel but the sheer scale of it made me wow a few times.
- Lies of P: such a pleasing and masterful aesthetic. More games "in Paris" please
- Star Ocean 2 remake: absolutely gorgeous game.
- Moss 2 (PSVR2): it basically feels like being in a fairytale, I loved every second of it.

Worst one was Lords of The Fallen, that game looks disgusting in terms of IQ and the aesthetic is dull AF.

Reckheim

Alan wake 2 on pc, on an oled ultrawide with full raytracing. Absolutely incredible.

I've also played cp2077 this year as well, the scale is more impressive with RT implementation. But if we are just going by 'best looking' its Alan wake 2 for me.

Hugare

Cyberpunk 2077. 4 years in a row now. I guess we need to wait for GTA VI and even then it will most likely not surpass CP in some aspects (things like lighting).
I agree, but I would say that tho technically C2077 with Path Tracing may end up looking more "correctly", GTA VI will hold its own

They will bake the f* out of that lighting to give us impressive visuals, just like they did with RDR 2 that still looks like one of the best games out there, and the lighting remains incredible

I cant even imagine how much space GTA VI will require of my SSD. The thing will be absolutely huge. At least 200gb, I presume.

Answering Op's question:

1 - Cyberpunk 2077
2 - Alan Wake II
3 - Callisto Protocol

xrnzaaas

Cyberpunk and Alan are definitely the top contenders, but in both cases you're gonna need a really good PC to see that. Spiderman 2 would probably get the award of best looking title on affordable hardware.

ahtlas7

I love the styling of Harry Potter Legacy. It’s top notch art and engineering.

I know it’s from yesteryear but I finally bought the PS5 upgrade to Ghost of Tsushima and boy-howdy is it purdy.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
In this order for me (fidelity)...

Alan Wake 2 (PC)
Spider-Man 2
Dead Island 2 (PC)

Art?

Spider-Man 2
Dead Island 2 (PC)
Alan Wake 2 (PC)

It's been a good year for visuals overall. Will check out Robocop around Christmas time.

Top Bottom