• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best of the Double Dragon series?

Best Double Dragon?

• Double Dragon (Arcade)

• Double Dragon (Nes)

• Double Dragon II: The Revenge (1988)

• Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (1990)

• Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones (1991)

• Super Double Dragon (1992)

• Battletoads/Double Dragon (1993)

• Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls (1994)

• Double Dragon Neon

Results are only viewable after voting.

rkofan87

Gold Member
It's funny I loved both the arcade and NES version of the original as a kid and have finally discovered the NES is vastly superior after downloading the arcade version. The move set is so much better and the gameplay is tighter. I think I just saw the graphics of the arcade version and played it in short bursts. Not enough to realise its faults.

Anyway, the godfather of the beat em genre :messenger_sunglasses:
no dd4 for ps4??????????????????????

Marty-McFly

Banned
Double Dragon Arcade and Neon gets my vote.

Arcade for just being one of the quintessential arcade games of the 80s/90s that you could not get the same experience at home. The sprites were bigger, you had multiplayer, it was just an aweseome arcade game.

Neon also was a great coop game.
When is the last time you played arcade though? I downloaded it recently and the gameplay just wasn't there. Not like I remembered it as a kid at all.

Banned
Double Dragon Neon
because it's the only good game in the series.
for real, I don't quite get why people like or ever liked Double Dragon, must be due to the lack of alternatives in the genre.

the fighting system in all of them is trash, the controls are stiff, the enemies often annoying to fight... they are just not good.

Neon at least brought some amount of depth and interesting elements to the mix, but it also didn't play that well tbh.

so basically, I vote for Neon because it's the only actually good game in the series, even if it's still worse than even old 16bit arcade titles of the early 90s

kunonabi

Double Dragon 2 NES and Return of Double Dragon for me. Could never get into Neon because of how ugly it was. Music was fantastic though.

CamHostage

Double Dragon 2 I would say has the best fighting system but Super Double Dragon is my personal favorite and the best 2 player pick up and play game in the series...

People rag on it cause it's "slow", it is I guess but it's fun as hell and has a fantastic OST.

It's a little weird that people rag on it for being slow (I remember that being a complain in its day even) because DD should be slow and heavy, not really fast and probably not combo'riffic. Very deliberate hits (with a mastery of timed supermoves starting with DD2,) very clear understanding of what enemy type you're facing and what weapons are on the playfield, that's kind of what I think of as DD gameplay.

Anyway, the godfather of the beat em genre :messenger_sunglasses:

Maybe the godfather, although the grandfather would probably be considered Renegade (also by Technos.)

Kind of a clumsy early bralwer (and I don't remember it porting well,) but one innovation in Renegade I regret being left behind by most beat-em-ups was the Renegade wall-jumpkick. Brilliant use of space, every beat-em-up should have wall-based attack/positioning techniques.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

This game is pretty easy actually.

Double Dragon 2, Double Dragon 3 , Super Double Dragon and Double Dragon Neon are the best for me.

Interestingly, video game reviews say that Neon is garbage, but I say that they (Gaming revews) are garbage ... because Neon is an excellent game.

I was 9 years old haha cut me some slack.

Fuz

Banned
It's a little weird that people rag on it for being slow (I remember that being a complain in its day even) because DD should be slow and heavy, not really fast and probably not combo'riffic. Very deliberate hits (with a mastery of timed supermoves starting with DD2,) very clear understanding of what enemy type you're facing and what weapons are on the playfield, that's kind of what I think of as DD gameplay.

Maybe the godfather, although the grandfather would probably be considered Renegade (also by Technos.)

Kind of a clumsy early bralwer (and I don't remember it porting well,) but one innovation in Renegade I regret being left behind by most beat-em-ups was the Renegade wall-jumpkick. Brilliant use of space, every beat-em-up should have wall-based attack/positioning techniques.

Man, I loved Renegade.

And its "sequels" on C=64.

Old Retro

Best is the one with Hammer and Spike:

1218350858.jpg

I vaguely remember any other Double Dragon games as there was a side scrolling beat em up game being released every month back then.

Top Bottom