• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best RPG of 2023?

Which will bees the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
2023 isn't over yet?
perdictions

Psybear.jpg

Robb

Gold Member
Nothing is beating BG3 I think. But this year has been pretty crazy so far, so who really knows.

Gandih42

I can't imagine Starfield topping the depth and quality of BG3. But there's a certain charm and magic that has given past Bethesda games a unique kind of immersion. I hope it lives up to that, it'll certainly do great. Might beat BG3 sales wise but I don't think so in terms of critical reception.

I love Final Fantasy XVI, but I think it's too hit-and-miss to be in the running. I also wouldn't put in the RPG category with BG3 an Starfield. Probably also wouldn't use Diablo 4 in this comparison, but if I'm to indulge OP I think that Diablo 4 is also too flawed to be in the running. Could have best sales though, being a lot more mainstream.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
All these games are so different. I'm hyped the most for Starfield (not that I'm trying to hide it) but that's mostly because of the theme of the game. I'm more interested in space than fantasy.

I can tell you that only 2 games from that list will still be talked about in 5, 10 years. BG3 and Starfield.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I feel BG3 will definitely have a huge chance for Best RPG this year. I'm still unsure if it'll be GoTY, but I can see it among top contenders

I do wonder if we will have a similar situation like in 2015 where Witcher 3 completely outclassed Fallout 4, and if history will repeat with BGIII and Starfield

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'll play Starfield at launch and I'm sure I'll enjoy it for 50 hours, but I have no faith it'll even come close to what BG3 is as an RPG.

Hudo

As much as I love Xenoblade and Xenoblade 3 (especially with Future Redeemed), I gotta give it to BG3. Unless the game drops the ball fucking hard in the last chapters (which I haven't reached yet), it's quite the feat. I hope BioWare are watching and feeling ashamed right now.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
giphy.gif

Damn was too fast....I thought this was about Sales.
Of which I think Diablo 4 will take it.
Baldurs Gate 3 is unlikely to be topped anytime soon though.

Corian33

If you haven’t played BG3 yet then you won’t understand, but it is unbelievably dense with role playing goodness. Like every ten yards there’s something to discover that is unique and interesting.

I hope Starfield is awesome, but we all know it’s gonna be a whole bunch of procedurally generated filler with real content here and there. BG3 is like playing Dungeons and Dragons with an awesome DM who never runs out of fun ideas.

I'm willing to bet we wont be able to find even a single person on this entire website that legitimately played all 5 of those games in the poll. And it's not like those are the only 5 RPGs this year.

I think everyone should prepare themselves for "favorite RPG of 2023." We'll get more objective answers in like 2 years when everyone catches up.

Wasn't Xenoblade 3 out last year?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Xenoblade 3 was 2022

Glad TOTK was not an option as it is not an RPG by any means. Action/adventure at best

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It was last year, but they did put out an expansion for it.

As for the topic at hand, by default I'd have to go with ff since I haven't played the rest yet.
Expansions don't count. Most games have some sort of expansion and they aren't eligible for GOTY. Maybe a 'best DLC' category though.

Solidus_T

The year isn't over yet. Also Final Fantasy XVI is more of an action game... Also Starfield is not released...
Whatever. I'm sure it's gonna be Baldurs Gate 3 either way and it will likely be GOTY as well.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A lot of games have rpg elements today, madden because of the coaching is an “RPG”.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
For me I’m hoping Starfield.

FF XVI was a huge disappointment for me.

Diablo 4 is just so-so

Xenoblade 3 came out last year. Only the expansion came out this year, it was pretty good but nowhere year GotY level

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a really amazing game but I just don’t have that kind of patience and bandwidth required for it right now.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Of those choices really only BG3 is a true RPG

Diablo 4: Action 'RPG'
FF: Action/ Adventure
Xenoblade 3: 2022 game 2023 DLC
Starfield: Likely a more Action RPG like Fallout 4 (which isn't considered an RPG really)

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: K2D
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom