• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda's Pete Hines Says Redfall Will Be a Good Game Eventually, Compares It to Fallout 76

havoc00

Bethesda Softworks publishing head Pete Hines has reassured players that Arkane isn't giving up on Redfall, despite its lukewarm reception on launch earlier this year. In fact, he's confident it will be a good game people want to play on Game Pass ten years from now.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Hines answered a question about how publisher Bethesda is changing as a result of the response to Redfall by explaining that the publisher has plenty of experience with games not going the way it had hoped.

"We are the same company that has had launches that didn't go the way we wanted, and we don't quit or abandon stuff just because it didn't start right," he said. "The Elder Scrolls Online's PC launch was not flawless but we stuck with it. Now it's like this insanely popular multiplatform. It's the same with Fallout 76. Redfall is no different for us.

"Okay, we didn't get the start we wanted, but it's still a fun game… and we're going to keep working on it. We're going to do 60fps. We're going to get it to be a good game because we know, as a first-party studio, Game Pass lives forever. There will be people ten years from now who are going to join Game Pass, and Redfall will be there.

Sleepwalker

Robert Downey Jr Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

havoc00

"Okay, we didn't get the start we wanted, but it's still a fun game… and we're going to keep working on it. We're going to do 60fps. We're going to get it to be a good game because we know, as a first-party studio, Game Pass lives forever. There will be people ten years from now who are going to join Game Pass, and Redfall will be there.

Phil has a 10 year plan baby

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wow, that's a horrible thing to say. I can't believe he said it.

That's essentially an admission that the game isn't good now but it may be in the future -- but please do pay $70 right now.

I don't like this post-launch-patches mentality that's getting more and more prevalent in the entire industry.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Good to hear. Now the wait continues.
they will be back after a huge update and gamepass promotion
The game is already on Gamepass. What promotion can they do on top of that? Paying people to play it? Just kidding. That should be the plan. Like FF 14 realm reborn.

Success

If they can redeem Redfall into an actual popular game then this would have to be the greatest gaming recovery since FF14 and No Man's Sky.

Waste of time and effort. Just take the L and move on. FO76 still had a ton of players over the months. Redfall doesn't because it's a one and done type of game, unless you want to grind every character for some god forsaken reason.

Last edited:
I will play it if I start to see gushing praise on the internet.

2-3 hrs I played, it was unfinished but had good fundamentals. Must be much easier to turn around compared to something like Fallout 76.

Hudo

This is kinda like when you act like Obi Wan and wave your hand in front of an automatic door.
It's quite the entertaining act for children of ages 3 to 4. For that very brief moment, I suspended their belief that I can open doors with my mind.

Robb

Gold Member
Sure but that goes for anything. If you just extend the deadline infinitely the product will be good/decent at some point. That’s a crappy way to work though, first impressions stick.

Tsaki

They'll do the "60" fps patch and release the DLC, all things that were promised before release. After that, the more time they spend on it, the further away Prey/Dishonored are.

kyussman

Don't worry guys we are experienced at putting out piece of shit games......that's just great Pete,great stuff.(Fucking moron).

Gojiira

I despise Hines, from his arrogant attitude and to how dismissive he is towards fans, but holy shit man, 76 is STILL a bad, its never been good and nothing is coming to improve it. Why the fuck should anyone believe his crap now? 60fps wont save Redfall lmao

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think early access / fixing with a patch is a bad way to do this. The reputation of the game will precede it, to some degree there's nothing they can do to stop every Redfall discussion not to be met with scorn and lols now.

Better to delay than release and try and fix it later.

T-0800

Hines answered a question about how publisher Bethesda is changing as a result of the response to Redfall by explaining that the publisher has plenty of experience with games not going the way it had hoped.

Yeah, well, that's a response.

Top Bottom