• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda's Pete Hines Says Redfall Will Be a Good Game Eventually, Compares It to Fallout 76

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I despise Hines, from his arrogant attitude and to how dismissive he is towards fans, but holy shit man, 76 is STILL a bad, its never been good and nothing is coming to improve it. Why the fuck should anyone believe his crap now? 60fps wont save Redfall lmao
his smile tho..............

395451031_3a06f279e4_z.jpg
Pete_Hines.jpg

tumblr_nihnccAk5B1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Last edited:
I'm not even memeing, I didn't know Fallout 76 was considered a good game even today. Last I heard about it was the rum/nylon bag fiasco.
I just cracked 1300 hours in Fallout 76, it is good now.

But it wasn't for a long time, it's survival was helped by it being a Fallout game and having a legitimately excellent map.

Redfall doesn't have those boons to help it survive and recover.

SCB3

Erm nope sorry, the thing is Fallout 76 without its bugs was still somewhat functional and all told still fun it was Fallout after all, Redfall is fundamentally flawed from the get go and quite frankly, fucking boring to play

This will go the way of Back 4 Blood, a great idea that is just gonna die

Last edited:
The whole article reads like a parody. So out of touch and unreal..

If they can redeem Redfall into an actual popular game then this would have to be the greatest gaming recovery since FF14 and No Man's Sky.
Add Battlefield 2042 to that list. I actually have fun playing it now. Still has its massive issues, and was a complete launch failure. But major improvements.

Gamepass will exist forever so it doesn't matter if we launch games in a shit state! We'll fix them later and in 10 years you'll have a finished product matching our initial vision!

Holammer

I would be impressed if they manage to revamp Redfall like No Man's Sky. But I doubt it's worth the effort or anything like it would ever be attempted.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The arrogance in assuming that a game that tanked so hard on launch is going to survive for a decade or more, because its on a streaming platform is just mind boggling.

Reaseru

Wow, that's a horrible thing to say. I can't believe he said it.

That's essentially an admission that the game isn't good now but it may be in the future -- but please do pay $70 right now.

I don't like this post-launch-patches mentality that's getting more and more prevalent in the entire industry.

Hines words are cleary insulting to their (xbox) consumers...very spot on reply.

Orbital2060

I played it through both maps, and completed the game. There are inexcusable flaws and bugs, and occasional awful looking character design. It was revealed with a lush trailer, and launched with cutscenes looking like AA and from a completely different game. Its a game of two halves that dont integrate well with each other. A painful display of unfulfilled potential. But it could have been great.

Two things about it are worth praising, though: the combat feels really good, and its obvious that id and rare did some great work here. The Stake finisher is basically the gore kill from Doom. And the atmosphere and design of the whole city works really well, and feels like an Arkane game.

Mr Hyde

Pretty disgusting mindset. They are ripping people off in broad daylight and are totally cool about it. I can't believe top brass in the industry are so candid about something like this. A major financial and critical bomb, that damages the Xbox brand and consumer trust, and they just shrug it off like it's nothing with an empty promise that it will, some day, some time, get better. That's why I'll never fully commit to the platform. You never know what you get on the receiving end.

nial

Gold Member
Imagine having to wait years for games, AND THEN having to wait for them to "get good".

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

his smile tho..............

395451031_3a06f279e4_z.jpg
Pete_Hines.jpg

tumblr_nihnccAk5B1rp0vkjo1_500.gif
It's scary how on point that is 😆😆😆😅😅🥰

Oh, the shill brigade is still trying to convince people it’s a “great game, just unfairly treated!”
I'm sure there are a pocket of people who do this, but I have yet to come across anyone still hyping RedFall. Maybe it's because I don't twitter. Btw, if you twitter, you should stop. It's bad for the brain (even more so than Gaf).

Pretty disgusting mindset. They are ripping people off in broad daylight and are totally cool about it. I can't believe top brass in the industry are so candid about something like this. A major financial and critical bomb, that damages the Xbox brand and consumer trust, and they just shrug it off like it's nothing with an empty promise that it will, some day, some time, get better. That's why I'll never fully commit to the platform. You never know what you get on the receiving end.
It's the American way

Last edited:

BlackTron

I literally stopped what I was doing and gaped at my screen when I saw...TEN YEARS FROM NOW??

I had to do a double take in disbelief that this wasn't some kind of joke or troll thread.

"Look I know the game is bad, but we don't stop working, I really think it will be a game people will want to fire up on a sub service IN TEN YEARS"

Like I can't even right now, the stuff being said by Bethesda lately...holy shit shut up already

Ozzie666

FFXIV is possibly the best example of a gaming disaster being turned into a successful game. They put in a lot of work to save it, including shutting it down. Fallout 76 had a decent turn around, but not like FFXIV. Bethesda did put a lot of work into fixing the game and making it decent. Seems like gamepass helped this one a lot.

I'll be honest, I'd throw Red Fall into that Anthem bucket. The game doesn't have the name recognition or years of fan support for anyone to really care. Why would anyone continue to finance a broken mess? Microsoft didn't even show that kind of dedidcation for Halo Infinite. That's pretty much dead now right?

Thabass

FFXIV is possibly the best example of a gaming disaster being turned into a successful game. They put in a lot of work to save it, including shutting it down. Fallout 76 had a decent turn around, but not like FFXIV. Bethesda did put a lot of work into fixing the game and making it decent. Seems like gamepass helped this one a lot.

I'll be honest, I'd throw Red Fall into that Anthem bucket. The game doesn't have the name recognition or years of fan support for anyone to really care. Why would anyone continue to finance a broken mess? Microsoft didn't even show that kind of dedidcation for Halo Infinite. That's pretty much dead now right?
FFXIV 1.0 had some good concepts, just not polished enough. The bad things were entirely fixable, albeit with a completely new design mindset.

I don't think Redfall had one good aspect of it. It needs a complete rework, similar to FFXIV. Nuke it and start over.

Anthem was completely garbage. From top to bottom. It was very apparently for how long the development was and was so when it had it's first beta test. That game was doomed from the start.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Bethesda Softworks publishing head Pete Hines has reassured players that Arkane isn't giving up on Redfall, despite its lukewarm reception on launch earlier this year. In fact, he's confident it will be a good game people want to play on Game Pass ten years from now.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Hines answered a question about how publisher Bethesda is changing as a result of the response to Redfall by explaining that the publisher has plenty of experience with games not going the way it had hoped.

"We are the same company that has had launches that didn't go the way we wanted, and we don't quit or abandon stuff just because it didn't start right," he said. "The Elder Scrolls Online's PC launch was not flawless but we stuck with it. Now it's like this insanely popular multiplatform. It's the same with Fallout 76. Redfall is no different for us.

"Okay, we didn't get the start we wanted, but it's still a fun game… and we're going to keep working on it. We're going to do 60fps. We're going to get it to be a good game because we know, as a first-party studio, Game Pass lives forever. There will be people ten years from now who are going to join Game Pass, and Redfall will be there.

Well at least they are still working on it. I really hated it When EA gave up on Anthem

xrnzaaas

Fallout 76 was a game from an established and beloved IP. Many people played it since launch despite the issues because they loved Fallout. Redfall doesn't have anything going for it, the gamers already forgotten about it and won't come back no matter how much it's improved.

Top Bottom