• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall with 3 concurrent players on Steam is still selling its DLC pack

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...am-players-is-still-selling-its-dlc-pack/amp/

Redfall now has anywhere from a low of 3 to a peak of 38 players playing the game on Steam at any given time. No, no zeroes are missing there. Three players.

While we don’t know how the game is performing on Xbox or Game Pass specifically, it’s certainly not in the top 50 most played games on the service. It’s also not just a “hey look, game bad” situation because of what Bethesda and Microsoft have promised about the game, meaning there are deeper problems at play here.

As recently as September, Pete Hines talked about how they weren’t giving up on Redfall because long term, it will always be on Game Pass even if it launched poorly:

“We’re going to get it to be a good game because we know, as a first-party studio, Game Pass lives forever. There will be people ten years from now who are going to join Game Pass, and Redfall will be there.”

And also: “We are the same company that has had launches that didn’t go the way we wanted, and we don’t quit or abandon stuff just because it didn’t start right.”

nd1KXlq.png

3 players on October 1st. Not sure what happened but this is an unmitigated disaster on the level of Babylon's Fall. Hopefully, Arkane can rebound.

Also, STOP putting FALL at the end of your titles. It will tank your game. Redfall, Godfall, Killzone: Shadowfall, Babylon's Fall...

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Just looked at Twitch right now and there is 3 people streaming it and 5 people looking at it. I was the 5th one I think. Curious to see if Microsoft will do as promised and give the DLC bonus( new characters for example).

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Just looked at Twitch right now and there is 3 people streaming it and 5 people looking at it. I was the 5th one I think. Curious to see if Microsoft will do as promised and give the DLC bonus( new characters for example).
Fuck, this is brutal. It's sad to see this happening to Arkane. I quite like their games usually.

Flabagast

What a shame.

Single players specialized studios, don't do GaaS games please, I cannot think of a single recent project that dit not turn into a total disaster

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bethesda management are going to make them work on it for ten more years to see if they can raise the player base by 100% from 3 players to 6 players.
Game companies dont know when to cut the cord. No wonder so many of them have financial issues.

If Pepsi launched a new bag of chips and it sold like crap, it would be stopped. If someone green lit more support, chip bag sizes, contests etc.... whichever marketing manager did it would be one foot out the door.

Wildebeest

Game companies dont know when to cut the cord. No wonder so many of them have financial issues.

If Pepsi launched a new bag of chips and it sold like crap, it would be stopped. If someone green lit more support, chip bag sizes, contests etc.... whichever marketing manager did it would be one foot out the door.
Sunk cost fallacy? More like the sunk cost genius business strategy where you strategically double down on decisions made by the best trend chasing management minds in the industry.

Luigi Mario

Thought it flopped and effectively ended the franchise? Or at least put it on an indefinite hiatus.
Its only saving grace was being a PS4 launch title, because the campaign was awful after the first three chapters and the multiplayer was a notable downgrade from Killzone 3.

Last edited:

Holammer

May - fewer players than Borderlands 2
August - less than 20 players on average.

The fact that they actually released it all? Shameful.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Fuck, this is brutal. It's sad to see this happening to Arkane. I quite like their games usually.
Don't have a studio known for single-player immersive stealth games making a GAAS-type multiplayer game. Just like you shouldn't put a studio known for racing games making a deep RPG.......oh.....wait.............

Draugoth

Gold Member
Phil said the game wasnt abandoned, yet those three poor players are still waiting for the 60 fps patch

Macaron

Banned
Stupid thread.

They literally state WHY in the little blurb you posted.

Also, this is something that has prob been worked on for awhile. So seeing it through rather than scrapping it is sensical.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Stupid thread.

They literally state WHY in the little blurb you posted.

Also, this is something that has prob been worked on for awhile. So seeing it through rather than scrapping it is sensical.
The game, or the DLC? The rewiew thread of Redfall was big because in part of the question of should they have killed it or not. So I can understand your opinion in this case. But the DLC? We had almost no info in months. This is a lot more controversial. Either they give what they had promised, and they are late to do so, or are working in a "big update" to pave the way for a Redfall 2.0 and they should explain it to the public better then IMHO. Do you think that the DLC will be there in 2023 or in 2024? What about the 60 fps patch? Remember that those questions were already there at launch. We are a few months after it now. And threads like this one, be it now or next year, will continue to be relevant to me as long as Xbox does not do as they have promised.

Don't worry too much. The people that made fucking killers like Prey and Dishonored 2 have been gone for years. It's Arkane in name but not the dev that made the "Arkane Games" we speak of fondly.

The sadder part is that some went to make Weird West and that game sucked too. Not sure how they managed to shit the bed with that one.

Looking forward to when Arkane can move on.

Maybe they can abandon the DLC and reimburse the buyers like what happened with Cyberpunk XB1 DLC owners.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Going the way of Babylons Fall it seems.

Oh well. If Dishonored 3 bombs this studio is done.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Looking forward to when Arkane can move on.

Maybe they can abandon the DLC and reimburse the buyers like what happened with Cyberpunk XB1 DLC owners.
Totally different situation. We are talking about not just not putting a DLC on a old machine, but not making the DLC at all. I understand the motive to forget about a failure and move on but this is crazy to me. Nobody asked them to promise things that they have yet to make. Or to find out at the last minute that they can't make the game work at 60 FPS. They should just do the bare minimum if they want to abandon the game like Anthem did.

Top Bottom