• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beware the EVIL MAINTENANCE MAN. . .

. . . in the Infocom classic The Lurking Horror!

Many people have played the Zork series and the superlative Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but who else has played this little gem insipired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft?

This might be my favorite Infocom game. Lovecraft's horror translates well in the text adventure, and the game is loaded with goofy possibilities. There is no greater joy than attacking an urchin with a crowbar, only to have the little bastard kick your ass with a switchblade. :lol

These games rock. Nothing beats sitting at a computer trying to crack tough mind-benders by typing in old-school commands, hand drawing a map to correspond to the text directions, and using the awesome power of IMAGINATION.

Many of these games can be played online for free here!. Just make sure to play The Lurking Horror and try to defeat the MAINTENANCE MAN on his floor waxer. >=)

And, if I remember right, the game actually came with a sticky little bug toy in the box. I can't remember what the game was, but another Infocom game came with a scratch and sniff card. Infocom ruled :lol

Prospero

I played that game (it came in a box of 20 Infocom games that I got for my Mac Classic). Good fun (though the editions I had didn't come with any of the nifty extras).

Tortfeasor

I biught it back in the day and threw away the box... While playing the game I got to a part where you had to enter a password into a computer and the password was included on stuff that was in/on the box that had been thrown away. That was the way they used to do copy protection back then... Needless to say, I never got past that point.

The old D&D pools of radience game used to, in the middle of action mind you, stop dead and ask you to enter a certain word from a specific page of the instruction manual to be able to continue. It was horrible... Or better yet, remember the stupid cardboard wheel for bard's tale for copy protection?

Tortfeasor said:
I biught it back in the day and threw away the box... While playing the game I got to a part where you had to enter a password into a computer and the password was included on stuff that was in/on the box that had been thrown away. That was the way they used to do copy protection back then... Needless to say, I never got past that point.

Holy shit you got pwn3d. The password is used at the beginning of the game :lol

The JAVA version I linked above tells you the login and password. :)

Or better yet, remember the stupid cardboard wheel for bard's tale for copy protection?

Yes. Dear god the pain.

Top Bottom