• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 is now the most delayed AAA game ever, having overtaken Duke Nukem Forever

Chiggs

I hope it never comes out, just like DNF should have never been released.

The jokes were worth far more than what we got.

baphomet

There's 1,000s of games that are up to and beyond 40 years old from announcement to non-release.

The difference was Duke Nukem Forever was in actual development that entire time.

GeekyDad

Bigfoot Sasquatch GIF by MOODMAN

Banned
I think Duke Nukem Forever felt longer than this because times were way different back then.

AAA games back then came out in higher frequency and development was way less openly discussed.

since then development times went from 2 years, to 3... eventually now we reached 5 years as the normal development time, meaning if a game took 3 times as long to come out than originally thought that still meant "only" 6 years of dev time.
if a game nowadays takes even 2x as long as originally thought we are easily looking at 8 years if not 10 years of development.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Duke Nukem felt like a longer wait because there were semi-regular updates for a while and because it wasn't a niche franchise at the time. A lot of people were excited for it, and shooters were the thing back then. Remember that 2001 trailer? Hype. BG&E has it's fans, but it ain't the same.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Game was officially announced in 2017, it's only been 5 years
Anything before that was just talk and fans wishes, if ya counting that then you might as well throw Half-life 3 in there too
Final Fantasy 15 was originally announced in 2006 and released in 2016 (10 years)and The Last Guardian in 2007 and release yet again in 2016 (9 years)

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Fuck this game.

Ancel was working on this and WiLD at the same time and WiLD died because of it.

That was THE Sony published game I was most excited for on PS4.

Game was officially announced in 2017, it's only been 5 years
Anything before that was just talk and fans wishes, if ya counting that then you might as well throw Half-life 3 in there too
Final Fantasy 15 was originally announced in 2006 and released in 2016 (10 years)and The Last Guardian in 2007 and release yet again in 2016 (9 years)

Nonsense, it was officially announced at E3 Ubidays 2008.

Last edited:

kyussman

It did look rather ambitious.......and in video game terms over the years I've come to realise this means.......turns out a bit shit.

He's the creative mind behind Rayman and Beyond Good and Evil, so I don't care what he's like personally; he's one of a few I'd blind buy his creations.
Is Beyond Good and Evil that good/original of a game?

I played it, it wasn't bad, but I don't think of it as a classic, unique or anything like that.

As for me pointing out that he was outed as a douche, that's why he left Ubisoft for an animal sanctuary. If this ever launched which I doubt, I don't know how much of his supervision will still be there.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Eh... I mean BG&E was cancelled or not in development for much of that time. If we're gonna play those kind of games, then Clockwork Aquario has both of them beat by a lot

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

He's the creative mind behind Rayman and Beyond Good and Evil, so I don't care what he's like personally; he's one of a few I'd blind buy his creations.
This is often why people are given a long leash, even when they're clearly fucking up. My issue with Ancel isn't any of the apparent personal drama, but he was micromanaging a project of tremendous scope and scale to such an extent that it really wasn't progressing. You can't do that.

Ancel never adapted from the world where one person could lead every aspect of a game's development to the reality of having to delegate to others and trust them to make creative decisions on their own. AAA game development in 2022 is not a space for auteurs.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Does anyone actually care about this game anymore?

Anyone eagerly awaiting this game after all these years?

Just can it already.

Sentenza

Star Citizen?
You may be surprised to find out that 2012 (the date the first SC teaser was revealed) is more recent than 2008 and ten years do not amount to 5000+ days.

Not to mention that you can already play Star Citizen today and that has been possible for few years at this point, if in a limited extent.
No one is playing Beyond Good And Evil 2. Not even in some partial alpha build.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You may be surprised to find out that 2012 (the date the first SC teaser was revealed) is more recent than 2008 and ten years do not amount to 5000+ days.

Not to mention that you can already play Star Citizen today and that has been possible for few years at this point, if in a limited extent.
No one is playing Beyond Good And Evil 2. Not even in some partial alpha build.

An integral part of the word delay is having an expected release date.

You may be surprised to find out that BG&E2 never had a release date so it was never delayed.

Checkmate, pirates.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The game hasn't been in development for all that time unlike DNF.
DNF was a totally different game back around 2000. Then it shut down. It wasn't until much later when Gearbox rebooted that game. Don't think it was in development for 16 years or so

baphomet

DNF was a totally different game back around 2000. Then it shut down. It wasn't until much later when Gearbox rebooted that game. Don't think it was in development for 16 years or so

Gearbox didn't reboot shit.

It was in development the entire 16 years.

Just can it already.
I stopped caring after Michel Ancel quit. It's his baby, I'm sure without him they are either rudderless or will just slap their tired open world game design template on it.

SF Kosmo

Just can it already.
I would love to have the second part of the trilogy set up by the first game, but this hasn't been that in a long time.

I do think the game looks interesting and incredibly ambitious, but I don't have a personal connection to it in the way I would have if it stayed closer to the original vision.

Top Bottom