• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond the Many Lives of Scott Pilgrim: An interview with Bryan Lee O'Malley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Random House Interview

Scott-Pilgrim-Comic.jpeg

Beyond the Many Lives of Scott Pilgrim: An interview with comic artist Bryan Lee O'Malley.
CHRIS RANDLE AUGUST 23, 2012

Almost two years ago, the director Edgar Wright adapted Bryan Lee O’Malley’s Scott Pilgrim graphic novels—they of the titular slacker hero, the seven evil exes his dream girl obliges him to defeat, and the lightly fantastical, video-game-inflected Toronto setting—into an expensive yet heartfelt film. Then it failed to earn back the production costs. But its source material only seemed to become still more popular, books and movie alike minting new fans through countless animated GIFs and Tumblr tributes.

Though O’Malley has a new book on the way, 2013’s self-contained Seconds, he’s also decided to revisit the series that marked his emergence as a cartoonist. Starting in August, Oni Press will be publishing colourized, oversized hardcover editions of all six books, with sketches, archival documents and entirely new sequences. After hanging out and watching a massive line of fans file through at the Toronto Comic Arts Festival last May—and meeting his sister Stacey, who has a fictionalized supporting role in Scott Pilgrim—I emailed back and forth with O’Malley about Internet culture, critically revisiting his own work and the ingredients of Seconds.​

You can read the interview at the link. They go over Toronto in general, Pilgrim the movie, the rerelease Pilgrim color editions, his new up and coming work Seconds, and whether he'll return to the Pilgrim universe among other things.

PK Gaming

Fuck yeah, Scott pilgrim!

Nice find, i'll be sure to check it out.

BTW that picture that was posted is basically one of the definitive reasons why I love Scott Pilgrim. Good times.

Toppot

Nice read. Though the movie did poorly I think it will live on as a 'cult classic' type of film and do well in the long run.

I'm interested to see what Seconds turns out to be. I didn't like Lost at Sea too much, I much preferred the crazier world of Scott Pilgrim.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I actually really like Lost At Sea, but I can see why many Pilgrim fans might not be hip to it. I like stuff like Derek Kirk Kim's Same Difference though as well. So I guess it's just the type of thing I gravitate towards and end up liking a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom