• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant will be 4k/60 on XSX, 1440/30 on XSS, 1080/60 on PS5 (technical issues, patch to follow). Current gen info to follow

MilkyJoe

Meanwhile at insomniac….

NEQXT9v.jpg
thumb_crying-behind-mask-imgur-54374846.png

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Yeah because a comparison between an indie studios with less than 20 people and a juggernaut like insomniac with sony money behind is not something a warrior would ever do...
GymWolf, stop taking cheap shots. You’re better than that.

They are asking for £55. Let that sink in. £55, the same as AAA Capcom Resident Evil 8.
If a small indie studio wants to charge £55 AAA pricing, then they need to deliver on their product.
In its current state, I chose not to buy into Biomutant. When it gets fixed, of which we have no idea if it will or when, I may consider purchasing.
That is the issue here not cheap console warrioring.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
GymWolf, stop taking cheap shots. You better than that.

They are asking for £55. Let that sink in. £55, the same as AAA Capcom Resident Evil 8.
If a small indie studio wants to charge £55 AAA pricing, then they need to deliver on their product.
In its current state, I chose not to buy into Biomutant. When it gets fixed, of which we have no idea if it will or when, I may consider purchasing.
That is the issue here not cheap console warrioring.
Your was more cheap than mine, don't hide behind a finger my dude.

And i'm paying 36 euro for the game on pc, the best version out there, but i would gladly pay the full price, this is my most hyped game of the year after horizon sequel.

You can't compare insomniac and biomutant devs in any form or shape.

The game can look janky and not as polished as a sony first party but it is a big game with a big map, a lot of abilities, weapons, mounts, a sewer system, underwater section, 60 hours of contents if you do everything and many other stuff, it is in fact a bigger game than anything sony released on ps5 and i'm more happy to pay full price for this one than what i payed for returnal or morales, and i'm not even joking, for me they are delivering in spades.

The matter here is that some people don't wanna admit that sex bc mode is far superior than ps5 bc mode, and i don't even have a horse in this race since i'm a ps5 owner with zero intention of buying a series X.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Would be cool if some of you starts to put some valid argumentation indeed to talk as a MS pr every single time. They are all BC games, of course series X is better in such stuff.
To be honest, it really doesnt matter, as a console gamer I want to experience these new games in the best possible version. Based on the recent comparisons Xbox series x seems to be the best choice.

If you like playing last-gen stuff :D

If you like being outsold 2:1.

I mean Xbox was the best platform last gen right? Couldn't even finish 2nd.

It's all about the games so no Biomutant isn't exactly going to make a ripple is it? The mainstream, who barely notice any of this garbage we argue about, will just want to play the game on whatever platform they prefer. As a former 360 owner I just wish MS would get on with it and give us a AAA exclusive. Not something that's on PC either.

So much salt...why you dont add Kinect to this list of yours...you really are reaching, we are talking about Biomutant and where is the best place to play it and you are talking about console sales, last gen console sales.

Biomutant is a new release, it doesnt have a native next-gen version, so if I want to play that newly released game, the best console to do it now is Xbox series X. Same with Mass Effect LE and quite a few more. These are brand new releases or sometimes brand new games. If you havent noticed we will not be getting a lot of next-gen only titles for quite some time.

Mr.ODST

The whole PS5 native thing is probably one of the most annoying things this gen, I buy my RPG's on Playstation (for trophies) but will have to play on Series X

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Your was more cheap than mine, don't hide behind a finger my dude.

And i'm paying 36 euro for the game on pc, the best version out there, but i would gladly pay the full price, this is my most hyped game of the year after horizon sequel.

You can't compare insomniac and biomutant devs in any form or shape.

The game can look janky and not as polished as a sony first party but it is a big game with a big map, a lot of abilities, weapons, mounts, a sewer system, underwater section, 60 hours of contents if you do everything and many other stuff, it is in fact a bigger game than anything sony released on ps5 and i'm more happy to pay full price for this one than what i payed for returnal or morales, and i'm not even joking, for me they are delivering in spades.

The matter here is that some people don't wanna admit that sex bc mode is far superior than ps5 bc mode, and i don't even have a horse in this race since i'm a ps5 owner with zero intention of buying a series X.
Me too, it’s come at the right time, something different. I’ll be buying, I just want it right straight out of the door.

I’m just cheesed off with the release now and fix later mantra. It’s been going on for far too long.

However I am mindful that I hadn’t given the complexities of COVID a consideration, and have apologised for that in a previous post. It’s remarkable that anyone has released a game over the last few months.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

For a gaming enthusiasts forum its incredible to see how many people don't know some of the basic shit about the PS5 BC implementation that even myself a relative casual fan knows about.

- PS4 BC on PS5 uses the native PS4 Pro version/processing. To run the game at higher native res and FR a native port is needed.

- Xbox BC is native for all games, so basically any game running on the XSX is natively upscaled and runs at better FR and res.

None of this should be a surprise.
Shame for the devs as it means more work on PS5.

But shame for XSX since there isn't a series x game.

assurdum

Banned
To be honest, it really doesnt matter, as a console gamer I want to experience these new games in the best possible version. Based on the recent comparisons Xbox series x seems to be the best choice.

So much salt...why you dont add Kinect to this list of yours...you really are reaching, we are talking about Biomutant and where is the best place to play it and you are talking about console sales, last gen console sales.

Biomutant is a new release, it doesnt have a native next-gen version, so if I want to play that newly released game, the best console to do it now is Xbox series X. Same with Mass Effect LE and quite a few more. These are brand new releases or sometimes brand new games. If you havent noticed we will not be getting a lot of next-gen only titles for quite some time.
Yes the series X is the best choice for BC games. You actually state the obvious but isn't it exactly a news and it's not just based to the recent comparison. The fact it doesn't matter to you specify they are just BC games, doesn't changes what they are 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Me too, it’s come at the right time, something different. I’ll be buying, I just want it right straight out of the door.

I’m just cheesed off with the release now and fix later mantra. It’s been going on for far too long.

However I am mindful that I hadn’t given the complexities of COVID a consideration.m, and have apologised for that in a previous post. It’s remarkable that anyone has released a game over the last few months.
It's a 20 people team, they have no fault if ps5 bc mode is somehow more complicated than the sex one, they probably worked on the current gen console versions until the last moments, the nextgen patch is something that came out later most probably.

They can't bruteforce\resolve problems like ubisoft or ea with their infinite budget (and even these people did some great fuck ups in the past)

I have much more forgiveness for them than for the devs behind returnal who released a kinda buggy game while still having sony money and one single hardware to work on compared to having thq money and 6 hardwere to work on, it is a matter of perspective.

geary

Yes the series X is the best choice for 99% of 2021 released games.

Fixed that for you....Until now, it seems all games are BC, beside R&C....When Current Gen will be in majority, then we can talk about BC for new games

Last edited:

Daymos

The game looks great, I'm hyped!!

I don't care about the dumb ps5 vs xbox clickbait title. I'll be buying the game in a year or so on PC when it has been patched and has probably had it's price reduced. The developer is most likely to get a handle on the PC version first and I don't care about ultra high settings.. I'll be playing it at 1080p/60fps.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Fixed that for you....Until now, it seems all games are BC, beside R&C....When Current Gen will be in majority, then we can talk about BC for new games
Can you give me a list about all the 99% of the multiplat games better on series X which aren't in some way tied to the BC? Because I could swear to have seen around 3-4 games better on series X when BC is not involved.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
By the time we're purely next-gen, devs will become familiar with the GDK and the Tower of Power will shine bright in its fully glory.
why? seen both console specs is very very likely multiplats next gen games will run little better on the sx too going forward. Many people have been swayed by games developed on undercooked devkits

Oh boy... Back here again are we?

True Detective Time GIF

assurdum

Banned
It isn't as good as BC on Xbox.
I thing the argument is not how good BC is it. It's all about how games are originally coded. In a low API hardware doubt you have access to all the same resources as a virtual coded environment specialized in multiplat development.

Last edited:

xiseerht

Pretty sure this is BC so don’t overthink this. I’m guessing it’s simply dynamic 4K @ target 60fps on Xbox One X and 1080p @ target 60 on PS4 Pro. Translates to 4K60 (hopefully locked) on XSX and 1080p60 (likely locked) on PS5. We’ve been here before.
Honestly, this is the most logical example of what is happening . Well done. I also figured that the Series X version is more likely just the Xbox One X version of the game. Running at a dynamic 4k and trying to target 60fps. But will hit a rock solid 4k/60 FPS on the Series X.

MonarchJT

Banned
Oh boy... Back here again are we?

True Detective Time GIF
why??? when the things ever changed ?
i know that some like to dismiss it but isn't like you say something for 100 times and it become truth just because you want it ..lol

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

It's not BC tools. It's tools and yes low API architecture can't work well as virtual coded environment for cross/past gen titles. But I thought it was obvious from awhile. Obviously pretend a bit of objectivity by people like you is ask too much.

It was a bit of sarcasm, but I don’t expect an overly sensitive warrior to take it lightly.

GDK is not a low level API, it’s designed to facilitate games across Xbox One, Series S and Series X and even PC.

At the end of the day

Tools matter.

I mean like user reviews; fuck pro reviews lol

There we go, that's way better. I'm more likely to trust people who invested money into something rather than someone who just got it for free, but more so for people who are enjoying a game and really giving it a chance. Those reviews matter most. I'll still follow my own opinion and policy, but I trust those types of takes more.

assurdum

Banned
It was a bit of sarcasm, but I don’t expect an overly sensitive warrior to take it lightly.

GDK is not a low level API, it’s designed to facilitate games across Xbox One, Series S and Series X and even PC.

At the end of the day

Tools matter.
It's really annoying see people like you label the other as warrior when you are one in first line at every battle.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It isn't as good as BC on Xbox.

Sacrifices must be made indeed. Would you rather have a better BC and less innovation and potential for next gen gaming, or sacrifice BC "a little" and favor next gen features? I personally give zero fucks to BC, and the majority of gamers don't give a fuck about BC. BC is just good for 1-2 years max into the next gen, then it'll all be just next gen. Won't favor 1-2 years over 5-6 years.

MonarchJT

Banned
It's not BC tools. It's tools and yes low API architecture can't work well as virtual coded environment for cross/past gen titles. But I thought it was obvious from awhile. Obviously pretend a bit of objectivity by people like you is ask too much.
yeah but you know what ...at the end of the day what matters are the results. A bit like the launch of the consoles the 12tf of the xsx were mocked because the launch games practically all ran better on the PS5 despite having lower specs. The same is true now, we can talk all day about low level API, tools..and about how the PS5 works, or not but the result is that a new game run in 4k 60 in a console and 1080p in another ... why people should care on how cerny and Sony have developed their BC?, it is simply just much inferior to what the competition proposes. period.

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned
If you like being outsold 2:1.

I mean Xbox was the best platform last gen right? Couldn't even finish 2nd.
This really resonates with me. I remember playing games like Halo, Morrowind, Fable, KOTOR 1+2, and Jade Empire on the original Xbox. I was having a great time until I came across an article that left me literally shaking. Apparently PS2 was outselling Xbox by a margin of 6 to 1. Suddenly, all those games just weren't fun any more. I was playing on the loser box! I immediately sold my Xbox and all its games to Gamestop, and went back to playing on my PS2. The graphics were shit by comparison, and I didn't find the exclusives as compelling. But goddammit it felt good to be a winner again.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Downloading the game as we speak! Gonna give it a try, upload a 4K@60fps HDR video to youtube. Can't see myself replaying the whole thing as I don't usually replay my games.

Game is taking too long to download! Too many people are all over it as it seems, initial download 4 hours and full being 14 hours! It should download the whole thing in around 50min for 200Mbps download speed. :messenger_face_screaming:

Sacrifices must be made indeed. Would you rather have a better BC and less innovation and potential for next gen gaming, or sacrifice BC "a little" and favor next gen features? I personally give zero fucks to BC,

You seem pretty keen on The Last Of Us 2 the other day.

MonarchJT

Banned
Sacrifices must be made indeed. Would you rather have a better BC and less innovation and potential for next gen gaming, or sacrifice BC "a little" and favor next gen features? I personally give zero fucks to BC, and the majority of gamers don't give a fuck about BC. BC is just good for 1-2 years max into the next gen, then it'll all be just next gen. Won't favor 1-2 years over 5-6 years.
why less innovation? the new Xbox is more powerful than the PS5 and have fantastic bc..you can have both....just saying

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
why less innovation? the new Xbox is more powerful than the PS5 and have fantastic bc..you can have both....just saying

Is it? In 8 of 10 Digital Foundry head to heads PS5 came out on top. DMC5 was a tie and RE8 went to Xbox. Aside from RE Engine PS5 looks like the stronger hardware.

MonarchJT

Banned
Is it? In 8 of 10 Digital Foundry head to heads PS5 came out on top. DMC5 was a tie and RE8 went to Xbox. Aside from RE Engine PS5 looks like the stronger hardware.
yes it is absolutely specs never lie (while the PS5 maintaining an advantage in the I / o). low level API of the PS5 and the more mature tools have made it start a lot ahead

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
yes it is absolutely specs never lie. low level API of the PS5 and the more mature tools have made it start a lot ahead

Specs say PS5 has some huge hardware advantages.

Having higher clocks on the GPU gives the PS5 a 20% advantage in triangle rasterization, Culling rate, and pixel fill rate. Not to mention the obvious advantages in having an SSD that is twice as fast and hardware Kraken/Ooodle decompression.

Triangle rasterization
PS5 - 4 x 2.23 = 8.92 BT/s
XSX - 4 x 1.825 = 7.3 BT/s
20% advantage for PS5

Culling rate
PS5 - 8 x 2.23 GHz = 17.84 BT/s
XSX - 8 x 1.825 GHz = 14.6 BT/s
20% advantage for PS5

Pixel fill rate
PS5 - 64 x 2.23 - 142.72 GPixel/s
XSX - 64 x 1.825 - 116.8 GPixel/s
20% advantage for PS5

assurdum

Banned

Having higher clocks on the GPU gives the PS5 a 20% advantage in triangle rasterization, Culling rate, and pixel fill rate. Not to mention the obvious advantages in having an SSD that is twice as fast and hardware Kraken/Ooodle decompression.

Triangle rasterization
20% advantage for PS5

Culling rate
20% advantage for PS5

Pixel fill rate
20% advantage for PS5
Prepare to see a Riky laugh emoticon.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned

Triangle rasterization
20% advantage for PS5

Culling rate
20% advantage for PS5

Pixel fill rate
20% advantage for PS5
are all advantages which are not worth taking into account when you have a lot of parallelized workload. for this reason all gpu producers are increasing the number of cu's more and more. let's say that I'm very sure that games from next year already will see a clearer line demarcate of xsx advantage and if not, I'm ready for the permaban ;)

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
are all advantages which are not worth taking into account when you have a lot of parallelized workload. for this reason all gpu producers are increasing the number of cu's more and more. cmq I'm sure already from next year's games we will see a clear line demarcate. and if not, I'm ready for the permaban ;)

The opposite is true actually. The more the GPU has to communicate internally the more the higher clock rate will improve performance. If anything we will see the gap grow in favor of PS5.

MonarchJT

Banned
The opposite is true actually. The more the GPU has to communicate internally the more the higher clock rate will improve performance. If anything we will see the gap grow in favor of PS5.
lol no...the clock of the PS5 is there to compensate the very low number of cu's. cmon now imagine the PS5 at 1.8ghz would make people laugh
GPU vendors have turbo clock..and game clock....but also more than double of PS5 cu's

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Well I mean it's not like 52 CUs are there for nothing on series X.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All speculation.

That's like saying PS5 is more powerful than Xbox Series S and should win by default.

Yet in some of these tests Series S performs better or has better loading time over PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom