• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther 2 won’t feature a CG Chadwick, nor will they recast

Tesseract

Banned
Should be: Killmonger

Will be: muh stronk matriarch
why not both

cryptoadam

Banned
We have had what like 8 batmans and 5 supermans?

And marvel bought to recast my boy Wes Snipes in Blade.

Oh sorry Wes aint enough of a brother to respect his black ass I guess.

sol_bad

I don't think they are apt comparisons. What you listed are basically due to reboots, it wouldn't make sense to have the same actor for a rebooted story. If the MCU were ever rebooted, obviously the entire cast would be recast. And I know the Burton/Schumacher era of films were meant to be the same "universe" but after Batman Returns there wasn't really any continuity that I can remember.

I better comparison would be changing Hulk from Edward Norton to Mark Ruffalo, War Machine from Terrance Howard to Don Cheadle or Fandral from Josh Dallas to Zachary Levi. They are in universe actor changes and both Marvel and audiences didn't give a shit that they were changed. Who knows if changing Chadwick would have a positive or negative affect on box office receipts. He didn't mean a lot to me but he did mean a lot to many other people. And I guess he did play Black Panther in 4 films compared to just 1.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Proximity to Chadwick's death and paying due respect is all this is so it's not really comparable.

Kadayi

Banned
Real shame about that dude. Legit curious as to how they are going to do this if they're not doing the CG thing (which tbh would have sucked) or recasting. Maybe have Daniel Kaluuya step up into the role if they don't go the sister route? I know he sided with the villain in BP, but they didn't kill him off...

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
The movie should just star Shuri.
She would do a fantastic job as lead.
Too young IMO. I am really liking the idea that Shuri becomes the new queen and the new Black Panther is the bodyguard to queen type role. They could make Okoye the new BP this way.

Kenpachii

Should just make a whole different movie. where he indeed is death through a rare disease and everybody is on his funeral. Then war breaks out between them with a fight for the throne like game of throne style and a new black panther arises out of it that, yet nobody knows who he is and it will be revealed in the next movie.

Could even be his dad which plays Wesley snipes or something.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Should just make a whole different movie. where he indeed is death through a rare disease and everybody is on his funeral. Then war breaks out between them with a fight for the throne like game of throne style and a new black panther arises out of it that, yet nobody knows who he is and it will be revealed in the next movie.

Rare disease? Just take Covid 19 xD

sol_bad

Speaking of war, I'm totally up for a Wakanda vs Atlantis battle with Namor kicking arse.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Do you work or have knowledge to know what Chad's contribution was in terms of the world/character building and other things in the first film?

Why so sensitive?
There’s also the task of honoring and respecting the ongoing learnings and teachings from Chad as well.

Please tell us what "teachings" and "learnings" Chad left us with?

It's a ridiculous way to talk about an actor. That's all

I don't understand with the push back of recasting. The dude died, nothing can be done and I doubt he would want BP to stop because he left this earth. The show must go on as they say. You can still recast a new actor and honor the old one at the same time.

Jethalal

Banned
My pick would be Nakia taking up the mantle.

Ignoring comic book consistency, Lupita is a great actress, knows how to carry movies and would be great kicking ass in a literal vibranium cat suit.

lupita-gilded-braids.jpg
I feel Okoye would be better though they can go for Nakia due to her higher star power.

Wvrs

I wonder if they'd have killed off both Stark and Cap in Endgame if they'd known this would happen. I feel Tchalla was going to be their new cornerstone.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Too young IMO. I am really liking the idea that Shuri becomes the new queen and the new Black Panther is the bodyguard to queen type role. They could make Okoye the new BP this way.

Kinda feel like if Okoye had superpowers then the whole Infinity War would have been like 5 minutes long.

Seems like she might be Wakanda's best pure warrior too.

Jethalal

Banned
Kinda feel like if Okoye had superpowers then the whole Infinity War would have been like 5 minutes long.

Seems like she might be Wakanda's best pure warrior too.
If they don't go with M'baku or Killmonger then I feel she would be the best candidate. She was closest to T'Challa after his family and we have seen her in other movies except BP so Nakia wouldn't make much sense to me.
If some rumors about BP 2 are true then they would need their best warrior as the new Black Panther. Story wise she makes a lot of sense too.

I think they'll go with M'Baku or Killmonger. They are just tweaking the script so I don't think they will bring in a female lead like Nakia or Okoye as that would warrant a big change as they are not royalty in any way or of any tribe. Shuri is too young and inexperienced in combat and I don't think the actress would be able to pull it off. One they could do is make Shuri the new queen and have Black Panther as a bodyguard to the queen type role- that way they can bring in Okoye as the new BP.
It'll be Shuri or Okoye.

In the comics (iirc) Shuri becomes the new BP on and off, and then eventually permanently.

No clue why I necro'd this, was in the threads at the bottom and hadn't heard the news. Sorry!

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Most who were friends with Chadwick is saying that Chadwick would have wanted them to recast because the role is much bigger and more meaningful than just him, yet Feige holds the opposite regard. All it would take is one meeting to solve this mess.

MastaKiiLA

They can make a number of different characters the new Black Panther. Shuri, M'Baku, and Okoye are my first picks. Nakia and W'Kabi my second choices.

Too bad they'd killed Killmonger. It would've been kinda cool to have him come back as the reformed N'Jadaka, to claim his throne. But prior to Chad dying, Killmonger's death was pretty badass. Sticking to his guns to the end.

With Coogler still in charge, I feel confident that we'll get a good final product.

T8SC

Gold Member
Based on the quality of the CG in Black Panther, it's a good job they've decided to go against trying to bring back Chadwick as CG, it'd be on par with:

avatars-VWTozUUFa41ZJTCz-EqaRhQ-t500x500.jpg

If Wesley Snipes isn't a villain in a Black Panther movie at some point, wtf is Marvel even doing?
From the first black marvel superhero to a villain? That's some drop.

I still don't understand the love for killmonger, came across as a generic "my dad got himself killed because he was a piece of shit that betrayed his own people and now I'm grumpy" type of guy.

I still don't understand the love for killmonger, came across as a generic "my dad got himself killed because he was a piece of shit that betrayed his own people and now I'm grumpy" type of guy.
He's the only one that made actual sense in his justifications.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I want him to be in the bathroom with the shits the whole movie and they just piece together sound bytes of him talking through the door to people while shutting.

it’s the perfect tribute 😁

He was angry at Wakanda and the BP lineage for allowing slavery, Jim Crow, etc... essentially turning a blind-eye to the groundwork of modern day drug trafficking, gang violence, etc... that his father got caught up in.

At least that's the read I got on it.

MastaKiiLA

Of all MCU villains, him and Thanos the most fleshed-out as far as motivations are concerned. Thanos' 50% genocide to balance resources was a bit daft, as killing half the fauna wouldn't necessarily correct an issue that's born out of imbalance. Likewise, Killmonger focusing so heavily on delivering weapons instead of money or other resources was kinda confusing, if he wanted to address anything like black-on-black crime.

However, his motives were born from a distrust for his homeland, who not only hid in the shadows with immense wealth and power, but also killed his father, who's mission of fighting for black people he tried to carry on. Wakandans didn't live in America, and showed no interest in the day-to-day struggle that he saw for black people in the US. So that they killed his father for trying to combat that via stolen vibranium (presumably through giving black people more powerful weapons than other races), sent him off the deep end, and he spent the rest of his life killing his way to fulfill that mission. He didn't want to take over the world (not that it was implied anyway), and he didn't want to kill a bunch of people just for the sake of it. He wanted to basically bring black people everywhere up to the standards of Wakanda, and wanted to start off with weapons.

Those motivations were, of course, wrong because his actions would've kick-started race wars all over the globe, resulting in lots of people of all races dying. While the end result is just as bad as it he was just a grumpy type of guy, the motives were more complex than what you describe. I don't know if it's more relatable as someone who lived the black experience, but it's basically the Martin and Malcolm dichotomy. Both wanted to achieve the same thing, but whereas T'Challa still believed in going the MLK route of peace and persuasion, Killmonger wanted to trigger change through fear on some "any means necessary" Malcom X type shit. That's an oversimplification, but I think it's easier to understand for anyone that might not understand what drove Killmonger to such fanaticism.

Look at how this Feige motherfucker talks about the characters and the MCU. You don't get this feeling of love, care and attention from anyone at WB regarding the DCEU or whatever is left of it.

I'm a huge fan of DC but fucking hell, Marvel's Feige just gets it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom