• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleak Faith: Forsaken devs seem to have nicked animations from Elden Ring and DS3 using DS Anim Studio

Herr Edgy

Oh, I stand corrected then. I was under the impression the devs themselves were saying they "rotoscoped" Souls animation themselves, in addition of using bought assets.

What you mean is it's more a case of whether they're telling the truth about getting swindled by ripped store assets, or whether they're lying and ripped animations themselves.
I guess people will figure it out if they can show the receipts regarding which asset pack did what.
No worries, my tone was also needlessly hostile in the first post. I know the struggle of small devs and what they've done for such a small team is seriously impressive, so it's quite sad and frustrating to see they are getting dumped on for things they didn't even do.

As for receipts, they did, it's right in the statement with a link to the asset pack creator.

KXVXII9X

This is why I don't even get excited for these AA games that try way too hard to copy a formula that is trending. They spend all their time making it look nice, but when you play it, you can really see the budget and lack of vision and creativity. It is people just wanting to make a quick buck off of someone else's success.

Raonak

Banned
It's more the fault of the asset pack straight up selling ripped animations, and bad that epic doesn't do it's due diligence to make sure things on the marketplace don't contain stolen assets.

But goddamn, that reply by the developer is really bad.

Last edited:

skit_data

I read it as Forspoken first, that would’ve been beyond crazy but seeing it’s a souls-clone from a small serbian developer I’m not very surprised.

Also: Wtf, ”forspoken” is an actual word with meaning? Thought it was a made up word.

Phase

This is why I don't even get excited for these AA games that try way too hard to copy a formula that is trending. They spend all their time making it look nice, but when you play it, you can really see the budget and lack of vision and creativity. It is people just wanting to make a quick buck off of someone else's success.
100% agree. I think gameplay should be focused on first, and then everything formed around it.

Barakov

8SfuFxd.png

Iu2BLRh.png

w353oSV.png

Nw3vGWk.png

0RwsQRf.png

Developer responds:

hIGFy26.jpg

9pdExPD.gif

TLZ

Banned
I honestly feel lost here. I always thought people use game engines that come with readymade stuff to use. So if many games use UE5 for example, it's normal to see how they look the same. I didn't know there are game exclusive animations or assets etc.

CGNoire

I honestly feel lost here. I always thought people use game engines that come with readymade stuff to use. So if many games use UE5 for example, it's normal to see how they look the same. I didn't know there are game exclusive animations or assets etc.
What so you thought that game engines just came with every animation for every possible situation in every genre imaginable?.....what?

hyperbertha

Why do animators exist?

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Herr Edgy

The only two reasons you will be able to tell that multiple games are Unreal Engine is because they are using the same rendering features that are configured in a similar fashion giving the games a distinct feel. And Im not talking about styles or even graphics really. Im talking about a subset of features like how certain anti aliasing features will make the game feel when moving the camera and so on.
And even that is changeable, and wont be recognizable anymore after said changes are done.

The one other thing is probably the default character movement that the engine comes with.

An Engine is mostly a set of tools that gives you very little in terms of game quality by itself.

Mephisto40

As much as this is a dick move from the developers, do the original animators have any protection at all copyright wise for the animations?

Sakura

what?
I wish game dev was that easy.

TLZ

Banned
What so you thought that game engines just came with every animation for every possible situation in every genre imaginable?.....what?
Yep. I'm not a developer so I've no idea. Especially that I see a ton of games that look the same. So I thought they're all just using the same engine or whatever.

Why do animators exist?
Don't know? Maybe touch ups? I've no idea.

The only two reasons you will be able to tell that multiple games are Unreal Engine is because they are using the same rendering features that are configured in a similar fashion giving the games a distinct feel. And Im not talking about styles or even graphics really. Im talking about a subset of features like how certain anti aliasing features will make the game feel when moving the camera and so on.
And even that is changeable, and wont be recognizable anymore after said changes are done.

The one other thing is probably the default character movement that the engine comes with.

An Engine is mostly a set of tools that gives you very little in terms of game quality by itself.
Thanks for the explanation.

TLZ

Banned
what?
I wish game dev was that easy.
Well tbh seeing all these engines and tons of games these days they do look like they come ready. I've even read a few years ago developing isn't as hard as it used to be. You don't need to know coding. No idea. My information on this stuff is zero.

Azurro

Banned
Well tbh seeing all these engines and tons of games these days they do look like they come ready. I've even read a few years ago developing isn't as hard as it used to be. You don't need to know coding. No idea. My information on this stuff is zero.

So you legitimately thought that game engines are like giant Lego boxes and you fuck around until a game comes out? 😅😅

CGNoire

You do not have to learn traditional coding and can get away with using visual scripting on engines like UE now a days.

Reactions: TLZ

Herr Edgy

You do not have to learn traditional coding and can get away with using visual scripting on engines like UE now a days.
Correct, but visual programming is still making you use your brain in the same way text based coding does. It's a more accessible, but not less difficult, approach to programming.
There are things in UE that will require C++ but these are not generally gameplay.

A piece to add to what I said before, with Unreal, the engine actually has shifted more towards premade content than ever before, so that idea isnt completely wrong. But that is currently mainly restricted to Quixel megascans and Metahumans. Which basically means its easier to create photoreal Environments and realistic humans but thats about it.

CGNoire

Correct, but visual programming is still making you use your brain in the same way text based coding does. It's a more accessible, but not less difficult, approach to programming.
There are things in UE that will require C++ but these are not generally gameplay.

A piece to add to what I said before, with Unreal, the engine actually has shifted more towards premade content than ever before, so that idea isnt completely wrong. But that is currently mainly restricted to Quixel megascans and Metahumans. Which basically means its easier to create photoreal Environments and realistic humans but thats about it.
So true so true.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Huh? It’s very much less difficult.. that’s the whole point😂

hyperbertha

Yep. I'm not a developer so I've no idea. Especially that I see a ton of games that look the same. So I thought they're all just using the same engine or whatever.

Don't know? Maybe touch ups? I've no idea.

Thanks for the explanation.
So all the enemy animations in elden ring are already available in engine?

Juza

Animation Asset Update
Hello everyone.

As promised here is an update on the animation asset issue. We have heard back from the escalation team at Epic which was as follows:

“Pursuant to the Marketplace Distribution Agreement, each Marketplace seller represents and warrants to Epic that they have appropriate rights to upload their content. As with any store that hosts third-party content, however, Epic is not in a position to independently verify such rights, and Epic makes no such guarantee to purchasers of the content.”So essentially, they state they cannot verify the copyright of the animation packages purchased through their store.

This is not satisfactory for us and so we have taken the decision to replace the assets purchased from the store over the next several days. (Some changes we included in the recent patches, and more are coming in the next few days) Certainly this has been a huge lesson for us and hopefully other indie creators out there too that assets on these storefronts seemingly cannot be purchased in good faith.

Back to work we go! Again, thank you for bringing the issue to our attention and helping us improve the game.

Phase

Must be a two Americas thing then. Because it's not really used like that, where I've from.
Yeah it's not thrown around like it is in Aussie land, but I have heard people use it. I wish there was still some decorum in public these days.

As for the game's animations (and apparently stolen AI art, and some copied assets from code vein) it seems they're working quick to replace them. As they should. I don't buy that they didn't know what they were doing.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They are changing animations now. They blame Epic for this disaster because they bought it from their store. This event may cause larger conflicts regarding Epic store assets.

Game looks rough though. I can understand because it was developed by 3 people, but I prefer to spend my limited time with better developed games.

CamHostage

They are changing animations now. They blame Epic for this disaster because they bought it from their store. This event may cause larger conflicts regarding Epic store assets.

It's certainly a thing that, with practically everything ever made being ripped and posted (and often sold) on some digital asset site, then modified (or sometimes just re-labeled) and sold again by somebody else, buying "clean" assets from this new metaverse world will get complicated for creators...

But also, come on now with the "Hey don't blame us, how were we to know?"...

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
updating the OT, this is getting interesting and I wonder how widespread this shit is all over the flip store.

simpatico

That developer response is terrible. Couldn't be worse really. Along with not hiring animators he obvious isn't invested in PR. I don't think I've ever skipped a game on principal, but here we are. The stealing is one thing, but for some reason the response is even worse for me. It's stealing something and lying about it. The lying is so low effort and arrogant that it offends me more than the actual stealing. He must think very poorly of his audience's intelligence. Just own it man. Say "I'm sampling Elden Ring the way hip hop samples Jazz" or something. At least be a provocative, eccentric thief. Show us the receipts on your Epic account live on stream.

Last edited:
Top Bottom