• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•15-17•16 - Ghostbusters bows but Pets bow wow, Dory rekts Shrek for DOM record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapiens

I'm surprised by Tarzan not only being at #3, but also beating Dory. With how Pets and the animal films have been doing this year, I wonder if Sony will try to do a Ghostbusters spinoff starring only the ghosts now. Oh god--they're probably going to do this, aren't they?

This is pretty on point considering Tom Rothman is now running the show at Sony (he was also head of Fox ten years ago). I'm sure there will more many more blunders to follow.

I'm not - I can't think of another film currently out that appeals to women and gay men in the same way Tarzan does.

tarzan-2016-alexander-skarsgard.jpg

I'm not - I can't think of another film currently out that appeals to women and gay men in the same way Tarzan does.

Have they released the demographics for this movie? Anecdotally that's not the audience that has been going to see it in my experience. I'm sure it's selling some tickets that way but I doubt it's a huge amount more than your average blockbuster.

KingV

I think it is perfectly alright to have reviews like that. That reviewer certainly may review all movies like that as well. I think the problem for ghostbusters, however, was that too many reviews, especially ones that don't typically explore gender politics, did so and turned potential viewers off.

People forget the similar hate squad that popped up for seeing John Boyega in Stormtrooper armor. There were some quite vile comments after the first trailer and the cast and crew didn't comment on it much until close to release and the comments were like "well, I'm proud of who I am and I'm excited to be in Star Wars, I don't worry about people that make comments like that because those people have problems".

If Star Wars movie reviews opened with the lede "Suck it racists!" That would have been a problem for the movie. I've worked in marketing on brands that clear a billion $'s in sales annualyly, and the big national brands always have milquetoast marketing because they need to appeal to a lot of people. They don't want to turn off anybody.

We live in a world where 39% of people plan to vote for Trump. This doesn't mean that they WON'T go see Ghostbusters, they certainly went to see TFA, but making the movie into some culture war pie fight is going to turn those people off.

Kite

I think it is perfectly alright to have reviews like that. That reviewer certainly may review all movies like that as well. I think the problem for ghostbusters, however, was that too many reviews, especially ones that don't typically explore gender politics, did so and turned potential viewers off.
lol Imagine if you're looking to buy a new refrigerator and every review is mostly about how Maytag's ads are sexist cus they only show women and implying that they belong in the kitchen. And MRAs trolling Amazon's review scores.. And mean things are being said on twitter and other social media..

... IDGAF I just want to see if the model on sale at Sears is any good -__-

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

This image doesn't indicate the multitude of shirtless, well muscled male African warriors within the movie. Skarsgard is just one man among many. I actually found his shirtless scenes a bit bland at that point. You can't start a movie with thirty shirtless and ripped men, including a well costumed Djimon Hounsou, and then expect someone to be impressed by one guy who spends the initial half of the movie fully dressed.

After the decent reviews from Ghostbuster came out, I actually expected the film to do better domestically despite the negative backlash from the internet. Guess that was just too much to overcome. 46 million isn't terrible, but given the near 150 million budget it probably wont make its money back

Depends on how much they spent on marketing. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an additional $200m added to the $144m. It will probably break even, or turn a small profit, over the next five to ten years similar to the rebooted Gone in Sixty Seconds eventually making a small profit after middling performance at the box office (This is taking the movies marketing costs into account) . The real losses would be the general opportunity costs and the inability to turn Ghostbusters into a modern franchise as Sony initially planned.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So is the smash hit (and critically acclaimed) Zootopia in danger of losing box office records to the not-as-good Dory?

Effect

What's the tracking for Star Trek Beyond? I'm personally hoping for 2x STID's worldwide total.

I really think Star Trek Beyond is going to suffer from it's first trailer in a similar way Ghostbusters did from it's first trailer. The fallout of that and how Paramount handled, or didn't because they went quiet on the film overall for months, it was even worse.

Early reviews coming in for Ice Age 5 have the critics in unanimous agreement that the franchise has jumped the shark--whereas even 3 and 4 have at worst an overall mediocre reception, 5 looks like it will be panned across the board. Given that the animated competition (Dory and Pets) have gotten far-and-away better scores in comparison and are doing gangbusters, I'm not expecting it to do too great domestically. With that said, it will probably be unchallenged overseas and take meteor-sized bites (pun intended) out of Dory and Pets' lunches (it started a staggered release period two weeks ago, and has already taken in $127M in select OS territories).

Rather intrigued to see how Star Trek Beyond fares in particular. It's gotten very good reviews so far, and if word-of-mouth is also good, I think it could overcome the initial skepticism it got from its first trailer and weary fans who were burned by Into Darkness, and take the top spot at OW.

I really think Star Trek Beyond is going to suffer from it's first trailer in a similar way Ghostbusters did from it's first trailer. The fallout of that and how Paramount handled, or didn't because they went quiet on the film overall for months, it was even worse.

The reaction to Beyond as a project and it's first trailer is peanuts in comparison to the internet dumpster fire fallout that has become GB 2016 though. Beyond also benefits from having a relatively active life as a film franchise; in stark contrast, GB 2016 is the first GB film of its kind in over two decades.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-analysis-why-ghostbusters-911836

Has Sony said anything recently about more ghostbuster movies? Seems like another one without the baggage and cheaper budget would be an easy bet, but the inability to get any sort of GB movie into China is a big problem.

Interesting that today Paramount announces Star Trek 4 has entered production, with the new TV show coming out in January its a no brainer but they must have pretty strong faith in the new movie.

I looked at booking tickets this weekend for Beyond and the luxury theater near me is sold out on all thursday night viewings and 75% sold on friday evening. Did not expect that.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-analysis-why-ghostbusters-911836

Has Sony said anything recently about more ghostbuster movies? Seems like another one without the baggage and cheaper budget would be an easy bet, but the inability to get any sort of GB movie into China is a big problem.

Well, in the OP they're quoted as saying they'll make more movies. On July 15th Ivan Reitman said they had a lot more stuff to announce soon. There's another live action movie in development but we don't know yet if it's a sequel or a spinoff, there's an animated movie in development, and an animated series in development. When the Ghost Crops company was announced, it was with several more projects planned - spinoff, sequel, prequel, and Avengers-style mega movie.

I don't know if it was in this thread or one of the others, but apparently Sony rolled the cost of all the failed Ghostbusters 3 scripts and such into the budget of this movie much like Frozen and Tangled over at Disney. If that's the truth people really, really need to take that into account when they discuss the box office and potential for sequels because Sony would be eating the cost of ~25 years of development on those other projects giving Answer the Call some leeway.

I wished we stopped pushing this "big name actor" trump's diversity rhetoric when its already proven that diversity makes more money and more audience.
In typical Hollywood fashion, they will have learned this three to five years later than the rest of the world.

This. It's quite possible that this was the peak money any Ghostbusters movie would have made
Not even close. I imagine it'd be making at least double if it went for the same kind of humor with more effort and better writing, not garbage puke jokes. Instead of quality in the mode of the original (Fury Road) they went for quick, cheap, safe, and boring (Jurassic World). Its core audience abandoned it and Feig's style and method doesn't exactly convert well.

But I hated TFA so what do I know about blockbustin'. Four quadrant movie making irks me.

Vice

lol Imagine if you're looking to buy a new refrigerator and every review is mostly about how Maytag's ads are sexist cus they only show women and implying that they belong in the kitchen. And MRAs trolling Amazon's review scores.. And mean things are being said on twitter and other social media..

... IDGAF I just want to see if the model on sale at Sears is any good -__-
A movie review is pretty much entirely subjective though while a product like a fridge has plentynof objective things you can judge it by. Humor is in the eye of the beholder.

Well, in the OP they're quoted as saying they'll make more movies. On July 15th Ivan Reitman said they had a lot more stuff to announce soon. There's another live action movie in development but we don't know yet if it's a sequel or a spinoff, there's an animated movie in development, and an animated series in development. When the Ghost Crops company was announced, it was with several more projects planned - spinoff, sequel, prequel, and Avengers-style mega movie.

Good lord. Shouldn't they make sure that there's actually an appetite for more Ghostbusters stuff before they develop a million spin-off properties. This whole thing could be a financial catastrophe.

kswiston

Tarzan increased from its estimates in actuals - true mvp

The entire top 10 increased, but Tarzan did have the largest increase.

That Ghostbuster estimate ended up being right on the money. The actual weekend take was less than $19k higher than the estimate.

EDIT: It looks like The Jungle Book moved into second run expansion this weekend, increasing 105% over last weekend. It's now $2.2M behind Deadpool domestically. I am not sure if it will have the juice to actually top Deadpool though.

In typical Hollywood fashion, they will have learned this three to five years later than the rest of the world.

Not even close. I imagine it'd be making at least double if it went for the same kind of humor with more effort and better writing, not garbage puke jokes. Instead of quality in the mode of the original (Fury Road) they went for quick, cheap, safe, and boring (Jurassic World). Its core audience abandoned it and Feig's style and method doesn't exactly convert well.

But I hated TFA so what do I know about blockbustin'. Four quadrant movie making irks me.
Have you.. seen the movie or are you just reacting to the trailers?

The ghost isn't even actually puking, unless you count what the Dilophosaurus in Jurassic Park does puking as well.

Good lord. Shouldn't they make sure that there's actually an appetite for more Ghostbusters stuff before they develop a million spin-off properties. This whole thing could be a financial catastrophe.
Well to be fair, Sony, Dan Aykroyd, Ivan Reitman, and just about every fan of the original on the planet has been begging for another Ghostbusters movie for the past 25 years. If it wasn't for their inability to make more thanks to Bill Murray, Aykroyd had plans for Ghostbusters 4, 5, and 6 as well. I think Sony's expectations on fan appetite were fine, but then the absolute shit storm carnival of stupid happened and fucked everything up.

Sony is that desperate. They have nothing else.
Also, this. Very very this. Let's not forget they were prepping a fucking Aunt May spinoff.

They have nothing.

Ghostbusters gonna finish behind Conjuring 2, Central Intelligence, and Legend of Tarzan.

Sony does not budget blockbusters well.

It'll likely clear Central Intelligence easily. I'm not even sure how you think it'll end up behind. That said, CI had a budget of $50 million. Legend of Tarzan is fuzzy. Conjuring 2 is harder to predict, since that's already at $300 million.

kswiston

They have nothing.

It'll likely clear Central Intelligence easily. I'm not even sure how you think it'll end up behind. That said, CI had a budget of $50 million. Legend of Tarzan is fuzzy. Conjuring 2 is harder to predict, since that's already at $300 million.

I guess it depends on where you see Ghostbusters ending up WW. Tarzan was ridiculously expensive, but it will be over $300M as well if we are just looking at absolute WW box office. Tarzan made over $30M last weekend worldwide, and still has several large markets left to opening in.

I guess it depends on where you see Ghostbusters ending up WW. Tarzan was ridiculously expensive, but it will be over $300M as well if we are just looking at absolute WW box office. Tarzan made over $30M last weekend worldwide, and still has several large markets left to opening in.

Yeah, that's why I said Tarzan was fuzzy. Currently edging down to $300 million for GB WW. I need to see next weekend to get a feel for the legs.

It's weird, because the biggest blockbusters have totally messed with our expectations, within the past... 2-3 years?

This image doesn't indicate the multitude of shirtless, well muscled male African warriors within the movie. Skarsgard is just one man among many. I actually found his shirtless scenes a bit bland at that point. You can't start a movie with thirty shirtless and ripped men, including a well costumed Djimon Hounsou, and then expect someone to be impressed by one guy who spends the initial half of the movie fully dressed.

Djimon Hounsou was dressed up like a cat. Surely intended to appeal to the furry market.

kswiston

Tarzan had a modest, but better than expected first day in China of ~$7M. It should at least break $40M there. Maybe over $50M depending on how it does during the weekend.

Secret Life of Pets had a good Monday-Monday hold, dropping 41%.

Ghostbusters made $4.9M on Monday, which is neither great or bad.

Dory continues to trail behind Toy Story 3 in its daily gross. However, it will kick The Dark Knight Rises out of the Domestic Top 10 today. While $500M isn't as locked as it seemed pre-pets, Dory will almost certainly end up as the 7th largest film of all time domestic, sandwiched somewhere between Episode 1 and The Dark Knight.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
WTF is going on in this thread?

Tarzan stanning?
NxA33G8.gif

Alexander Skarsgard actually having fans? (lmao he's a shit actor and not cute)
NxA33G8.gif

Busty

Banned
Tarzan had a modest, but better than expected first day in China of ~$7M. It should at least break $40M there. Maybe over $50M depending on how it does during the weekend.

They should put this on the cover of the Tarzan DVD. It basically covers every aspect of this film to date.

Sorry, just to clarify does this mean Tarzan will $50m its opening week (sort of) in China? Does this mean $100m in China is possible?

Dory continues to trail behind Toy Story 3 in its daily gross. However, it will kick The Dark Knight Rises out of the Domestic Top 10 today. While $500M isn't as locked as it seemed pre-pets, Dory will almost certainly end up as the 7th largest film of all time domestic, sandwiched somewhere between Episode 1 and The Dark Knight.

Weird teenagers who look like Kevin Smith and wear trench coats are not going to like that at all.

kswiston

They should put this on the cover of the Tarzan DVD. It basically covers every aspect of this film to date.

Sorry, just to clarify does this mean Tarzan will $50m its opening week (sort of) in China? Does this mean $100m in China is possible?

It's unlikely. Since this is getting a 6 day "opening weekend", most of its business will happen by Sunday. Maybe more than 70%. $50M was total.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Tarzan opened on a Tuesday with $7M. My educated guess would have Tarzan reach $25-30M or more by Sunday.

China is a very competitive market currently with local productions taking a bigger piece of the pie these days so its much harder for Hollywood films to reach $100M than it used to - Tarzan sadly will not reach $100M, but still should have a strong run with $45-50M in play.

WTF is going on in this thread?

Tarzan stanning?
NxA33G8.gif

Alexander Skarsgard actually having fans? (lmao he's a shit actor and not cute)
NxA33G8.gif

Tarzan is a masterpiece. The people have spoken.

kunonabi

Saw Tarzan today with my dad. About 15 people in the theatre.

There is a great movie in there wanting to get out but the main plot along with Jackson and Waltz are boring and not really needed. Hounsou killed it with the little bit of screen time he had and really should have been the main antagonist.

It's the first time I've seen Robbie act. That lady's physical acting, expressions, and charisma are amazing but her line delivery wasn't very good.

kswiston

It's the first time I've seen Robbie act. That lady's physical acting, expressions, and charisma are amazing but her line delivery wasn't very good.

Probably a fair assessment based on what I have seen her in (Wolf of Wall Street and various trailers). I wonder if some of it is having to act in American or English accents. Some actors can pull off accents. Some can't.

kunonabi

Probably a fair assessment based on what I have seen her in (Wolf of Wall Street and various trailers). I wonder if some of it is having to act in American or English accents. Some actors can pull off accents. Some can't.

She came off as very tentative and not that committed to the lines so that might be it.

Is Tarzan better than Iron Man 3?

No, but I can honestly say I enjoyed it more than The Force Awakens.

Ross61

Seems like Ice Age 5 is a dud as expected. Still have Storks, Kubo, and Moana. I might be in the minority but I think Storks will be a hit. I loved all the trailers for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom