• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•15-17•16 - Ghostbusters bows but Pets bow wow, Dory rekts Shrek for DOM record

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

It looks like Secret Life of Pets made around $9.2M on Tuesday. It's about $10M behind Minions after 12 days but is now making more than Minions on a daily basis.

$300M is locked, and we could see Secret Life of Pets over Zootopia domestically if it continues to have better legs than Minions (assuming Ice Age doesn't put up much of a fight).

Tarzan had a decent second day hold in China. Its 2-day total is $12.4M. Tarzan should easily be over $250M worldwide after this coming weekend. It will top John Carter's total in the following week.

Unfortunately, the Edgar Rice Burroughs crown remains out of reach, as Disney's Tarzan made just under $450M back in 1999.

kswiston

It looks like early weekend predictions for Star Trek Beyond are in the $60M range.

This summer has been so shitty for live action movies, that anything over $65.8M would be the second biggest live action opening of the season after Civil War twelve weeks ago.

The Conjuring 2 is now over $300M worldwide. Deadline pointed out that the series (consisting of two films and the spin-off Anabelle) is now the third largest horror franchise of all time at $882M worldwide. The only series ahead of it are Resident Evil (lol) at $915M and Paranormal Activity at $890M. The Conjuring will be the biggest horror series of all time when Anabelle 2 releases next year.

The Conjuring 1 (at $318M) and The Conjuring 2 are also the second and third highest grossing individual horror films of all time after The original Exorcist.

I think that demonstrates horror films are generally low budget affairs. Spending $100M on one would be pretty stupid.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Pretty shocked that the saw films haven't managed to cross a billion yet but looking it up the biggest film is only $165m worldwide
they always felt so massive

okay, I'm sorry to bring this up and all, but... where the fuck did Bobby Roberts go? He literally just stopped posting out of thing air. Did something happen or was it just a regular gaf-intervention type thing?

3N16MA

Banned
Pretty shocked that the saw films haven't managed to cross a billion yet but looking it up the biggest film is only $165m worldwide
they always felt so massive

Four films in the franchise opened to 30M+. With small budgets they made headlines (at least the first few) and crept into mainstream media. Also the Saw films get October/Halloween release dates which seems like the perfect time to grab media attention.

BumRush

It looks like early weekend predictions for Star Trek Beyond are in the $60M range.

This summer has been so shitty for live action movies, that anything over $65.8M would be the second biggest live action opening of the season after Civil War twelve weeks ago.

The Conjuring 2 is now over $300M worldwide. Deadline pointed out that the series (consisting of two films and the spin-off Anabelle) is now the third largest horror franchise of all time at $882M worldwide. The only series ahead of it are Resident Evil (lol) at $915M and Paranormal Activity at $890M. The Conjuring will be the biggest horror series of all time when Anabelle 2 releases next year.

The Conjuring 1 (at $318M) and The Conjuring 2 are also the second and third highest grossing individual horror films of all time after The original Exorcist.

I think that demonstrates horror films are generally low budget affairs. Spending $100M on one would be pretty stupid.

Incredible. I love the conjuring movies though. They aren't amazing, but they're well done fun with a few jump scares. More of the type (plus insidious, sinister, etc) are welcome.

okay, I'm sorry to bring this up and all, but... where the fuck did Bobby Roberts go? He literally just stopped posting out of thing air. Did something happen or was it just a regular gaf-intervention type thing?

I wondered the same when I didn't see him in the latest Aliens thread

kswiston

I have been wondering the same thing. He is still posting about his regular topics on Twitter so nothing bad happened to him. I'm not sure why he stopped visiting GAF. I'm sad to see him go if he doesnt come back.

Anyone in contact with him outside of GAF?

FoneBone

I'm thinking the strong reviews will push Trek ahead of earlier projections, up to the $65-70 million range. Not sure if it'll be able to surpass Into Darkness given the next two weeks' competition.

Until I hear otherwise I'm running with the assumption he's writing a Star Wars movie and has to watch what he says about Sebulba.

$5.5 million for Beyond, $850k for Ice Age, and $1.8 mil for Lights out Thursday night.

UPDATED, 7:52 AM: Star Trek Beyond nabbed a big $5.5M last night in previews for Paramount, besting the $2M that its comp Star Trek Into Darkness grabbed in May of 2013 when it opened on a Wednesday before it ended its weekend with a total of $70.1M. .

Since there were no previews on Ice Age: Continental Drift when it opened in July of 2012, the best comp the studio said it is looking at for the weekend is the 2013 non-sequel Turbo, which had an opening weekend of $21.3M. Ice Age: Collision Course opened at 5 PM yesterday which is basically a half a day of grosses. This movie won’t truly kick in until the weekend when its core family audience comes out in force. The last Ice Age: Continental Drift opened to $46.6M; this one — the fifth in the franchise and opening with kid-friendly competitor The Secret Life of Pets still playing — may open around $30M to $35M.

The studio is using the James Wan name to help promote the film as he is a producer on it. While Wan’s Conjuring 2 made $3.4M in previews (in 2,700 theaters) and went onto gross $40.4M in its three-day, of course that was a well-known brand. Warner Bros. also handled it. It’s not the best comp. More comparable is The Shallows $1.325M in previews and then went onto gross $16.8M opening weekend.

kswiston

Looks like Tarzan took a huge hit from local releases in China. It might have to settle for $35M there.

Star Trek's previews gel with a $60Mish opening. We should get early Friday estimates soon.

Hopefully Ice Age flops domestically. Already too late to hope the same overseas. Blue Sky needs to retire that series.

kswiston

Deadline is saying around $60M for Star Trek based on Friday matinees and low 20s for Ice Age 5. As always, Deadline isnt terribly accurate at weekend multipliers but those are the ballpark figures.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Star Trek Beyond - $22.5M
2) Lights Out - $9.2M
3) The Secret Life of Pets - $8.7M - $240M total
4) Ice Age: Collision Course - $7.8M
5) Ghostbusters - $6.2M - $71M total
6) Finding Dory - $2.1M - $455M total
7) The Legend of Tarzan - $1.8M - $111M total

- Star Trek 09 had a $30.9M opening day counting in Thursday previews. Star Trek Into Darkness had a weird release, so it isn't as easily comparable. Beyond is likely heading to a mid-high 50s opening.

- Ice Age 4 had a $16.8M first Friday, heading to $46.6M over the weekend. IA5 continues the trend of 2016 (domestic) sequel flops and has next to no shot at hitting $100M domestic. Opening weekend will end up in the $20-23M range.

- Ghostbusters dropped like an Action film, and not like Feig's past comedies. Friday was down 63.8% from opening day. Expect the weekend drop to be in the high 50s.

- Lights Out had a great opening day, and should end up over $20M for the weekend, even with Horror film front loading. Its budget was around $5M.

- Dory had a decent drop. It will pass Age of Ultron domestically this weekend, and Star Wars (ep4) around Tuesday.

Kusagari

Also, I think there was a franchise fatigue there too. Who even cares about Ice Age anymore?

Oh, the movie was going to do worse than the other Ice Age's regardless. But putting it right after, and while they're still in theaters, two superior movies like Dory and Pets?

Thing was doomed. I'm surprised they kept the date.

kswiston

Ice age is doing poorly everywhere compared to the last film. It's looking at a huge drop worldwide. Unless China is big for the movie, we could see it fail to hit $500M WW. Without a doubt this will be the lowest grossing Ice Age since the first one.

EDIT: Here are the WW Ice Age grosses for comparison

Ice Age 3 - $887M
Ice Age 4 - $877M
Ice Age 2 - $661M
Ice Age - $383M

Kusagari

Ice age is doing poorly everywhere compared to the last film. It's looking at a huge drop worldwide. Unless China is big for the movie, we could see it fail to hit $500M WW. Without a doubt this will be the lowest grossing Ice Age since the first one.

Think this might finally kill the franchise?

kswiston

Think this might finally kill the franchise?

Maybe.

Domestically, the first 4 Ice Age films were all in the $160M and $195M range (rounded). Ice Age 5 is likely going to finish closer to $75M.

2016 really seems to be the year that audiences turn their noses up at (shitty) unnecessary sequels. I am curious to see how Transformers 5 does next summer.

Replicant

Lights Out was fun. Glad I saw it first before Star Trek since horror films tend to have limited amount of time at theatre.

What the hell happened?

4752105-screenshot+2015-08-15+at+3.34.53+pm.png

kswiston

What the hell happened?

Bobby abandoned us after his anti-bomba campaign was not heeded.

So this summer has been so shitty that Tarzan now has a shot at being a top 10 summer film. It's currently #6. Star Trek will definitely bump it down to #7 and Ghostbusters will probably bump it down to #8 (unless it has another poor hold next week). After that, the only other summer films very likely to break $125M are Bourne next week and Suicide Squad (which might hit that number opening weekend)

So how is a 55-60 million opening for Star Trek? Is that solid or an underperformamce? I'm not super clear what the expectations for this film are. I'm going to see it today and have heard it's great so I want to see it do well

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So how is a 55-60 million opening for Star Trek? Is that solid or an underperformamce? I'm not super clear what the expectations for this film are. I'm going to see it today and have heard it's great so I want to see it do well

Solid. It's also co-produced by Alibaba films, and I would suspect is headed to good returns in China.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Given the sequelitis curse that has plagued several film this year, that's pretty good. Though let's be honest, Paramount don't have much in their arsenal, so it'll have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom