• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Microsoft to acquire Activision-Blizzard in near 70$ billion deal

SSfox

Posting something completely irrelevant to the topic-at-hand and talking about PS exclusives as a gotcha over this deal that hasn't even closed.

Yeah, no that's an equally terrible follow up lol.

c'est magnifique

If you don't care about X acquired Y, why even bother posting in this topic which is specifically about X acquiring Y. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Kinda ironic coming from someone who keep posting on Sony related news just to troll and dumb down the news. L'hopital qui se fout ce la charité.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kinda ironic coming from someone who keep posting on Sony related news just to troll and dumb down the news. L'hopital qui se fout ce la charité.

If you see me post something irrelevant in a Sony news topic feel free to point it out there, but this is specifically a topic about one company acquiring another.

Coming in here just to post "I don't care when X acquires Y" is a massive oxymoron.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
just shows that guy doesn't know what he is talking about. I would have rated EA even lower then Activision.

I wouldn't have put EA in any capacity at all.

Hell, I wouldn't have put Acti either before the news broke lol

T-Cake

Yikes.

I wonder how this will turn out. No matter what they do it will look bad.
Buying him out looks really bad, letting him stay looks even worse.

I don't understand why he wants to stick around like a turd that won't flush down the drain. Surely he's got better things to do with all that money like buy a superyacht and go travelling.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yikes.

Those have always been MS's 2 choices..

I'm confused why that amendment is "news." We knew firing Bobby wasn't part of the purchase agreement. It's an assumption.

A CEO's employment NOT being included in an M&A agreement is not some good thing for that CEO lol

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Yikes.

Only in certain quarters does ‘buying him out look bad’. Activision employees were rejoicing at the news.

And no need to ‘wonder’. As soon as the buyout is completed and passed by regulators, Kotick will be out.

Ozriel

M$FT
Not sure if anyone posted a thread on it, but Activision’s revenue projections for 2022/23 are quite rosy indeed.

Activision

M00uRif.jpg

King

tWJHJ46.jpg

Blizzard

pa1FD7J.jpg

Blizzard especially shows a sizable projected revenue growth of +90%, so we can expect that’s tied to Overwatch 2 release.

Last edited:
Yikes.

There's no need to discuss it at all. He's as good as gone when the deal closes. Even if by some miracle he remains, he will not have any power over the new Activision Blizzard.

Not sure if anyone posted a thread on it, but Activision’s revenue projections for 2022/23 are quite rosy indeed.

Activision

M00uRif.jpg

King

tWJHJ46.jpg

Blizzard

pa1FD7J.jpg

Blizzard especially shows a sizable projected revenue growth of +90%, so we can expect that’s tied to Overwatch 2 release.
You're forgetting next WoW expansion in 2023 and Diablo 4 as well. Big titles, so it checks out.

Last edited:
I don't understand why he wants to stick around like a turd that won't flush down the drain. Surely he's got better things to do with all that money like buy a superyacht and go travelling.
That's simple. He has no shame and wants more money.

If Microsoft wants him gone they'll have to pay for that to happen.
And no need to ‘wonder’. As soon as the buyout is completed and passed by regulators, Kotick will be out.

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick Would Make $293 Million If He’s Fired After Microsoft Deal​

(...) If Kotick were terminated without cause (or he chose to left for good reason) “following a change of control,” he’d be due $270.9 million in equity plus $4.4 million in salary-based severance plus $17.4 million in bonus-based severance and the $264,000 (and change) in continuing benefits.
Source: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/activision-blizzard-ceo-bobby-kotick-231711273.html

So yeah, he's on the path to either negotiate his payout or stay even if he isn't welcome to by Microsoft, and in the event that he's demoted, force the payout he entitled to by the rules he himself set.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Yikes.

It's not like they have any option.
Kottick has a contract and some clausules that need to be fulfilled for him to leave. Unless he resigns leaving the money on the table by his own decision, I don't think Microsoft, or ActiBlizzard for that matter, has anything to say about it. Contracts can't be breached unless for specific reasons

It's not like they have any option.
They did have the option when they negotiated the sale with Kottick himself, they'll be buying a lot of shares from his hence doing business directly with him.

They should have negotiated Kottick outing then, and perhaps they did despite what Kottick wants us to know (remember that the sale can still be blocked and this is a guy with a huge ego). I guess we'll only know when the sale closes down, if he walks away without the money that's because there was an agreement after all.

If they didn't negotiate that though, they're nuts and it undermines the reason they step up to buy Activision which supposedly in part was "because they weren't happy with it, their relationship changed and something had to change within the company". Kottick is the embodiement of all that.

onesvenus

They did have the option when they negotiated the sale with Kottick himself, they'll be buying a lot of shares from his hence doing business directly with him.

They should have negotiated Kottick outing then, and perhaps they did despite what Kottick wants us to know (remember that the sale can still be blocked and this is a guy with a huge ego). I guess we'll only know when the sale closes down, if he walks away without the money that's because there was an agreement after all.

If they didn't negotiate that though, they're nuts and it undermines the reason they step up to buy Activision which supposedly in part was "because they weren't happy with it, their relationship changed and something had to change within the company". Kottick is the embodiement of all that.
Is your take that Kottick would have negotiated his exit? Why would he do that when it's in clear terms in his contract?

Dane

Hardly, if ever, the board of directors including CEO remains at the company acquiring it, unless it was a share trade or a trade he was looking to do it for more power at the new one.

99% sure its just the legalisms, he will never walk away without the money.

Is your take that Kottick would have negotiated his exit? Why would he do that when it's in clear terms in his contract?
He wouldn't, unless he had to but when negotiating the sale of the company Microsoft could force that as part of the deal. They're buying a truckload of shares directly from him after all. Unless he plans on keeping them.

It might be the case that Microsoft didn't discuss it at all because they have no problem paying his severance and took that cost into account from the beginning, that would be the easiest way to deal with it to be honest as going to court is not in their interest. Best scenario would be Kottick walking away as part of the deal though seeing he is already getting a lot of money from this.

All that said, they say it wasn't discussed, but we have no way of knowing. It might be down to strict NDA's and the deal is not done yet. If Kottick is officially with one feet out and the sale gets blocked his leadership going forward would be in question so it makes a little sense not to disclose whether he stays or goes post merger "yet", but above all this is a control freak manchild with a huge waitress groping entitlement ego and he's not done.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

My two cents on Kotick wanting to stay, because hes going to make more money over time than what he would get in severance.

How do these updates to the SEC filings work anyway? Can one party just add stuff as they see fit? Or do both parties have to sign on to the additions?

The Alien

Banned
I remain firm in my position on this acquisition:

I won't give a shit about the gossip or opinions of phony fanboy internet lawyers perspectives (on either side) until the deal is FINAL. None of it matters until then.

If they can make the problems go away before the acq closes, he can maybe use that as leverage to try and stay on as CEO.
After the deal closes he will have zero leverage to push to stay. Kotick won't even be head of the organization anymore because he'll answer to Phil Spencer. Phil would be foolish to keep that liability around.

Orbital2060

After the deal closes he will have zero leverage to push to stay. Kotick won't even be head of the organization anymore because he'll answer to Phil Spencer. Phil would be foolish to keep that liability around.
Definately. I personally hope hes gone when it does. Or they will keep on carrying his dirty laundry around for years until he resigns from old age.

But hes probably gonna do his best to worm himself into a position where he can make the case for staying on, or alternatively get as a high a severance as possible. Ie the same amount that he thinks he can scrounge together if he would have remained in office.

Zeroing

Banned
Where are the articles that say he’s staying on? Share them
I said there’s multiple articles saying opposite things! Once again why I used a question mark! But since you are so invested and triggered by that crap that you are the one lacking reading comprehension!

Have fun! All this from a stupid question!

Kssio_Aug

I said there’s multiple articles saying opposite things! Once again why I used a question mark! But since you are so invested and triggered by that crap that you are the one lacking reading comprehension!

Have fun! All this from a stupid question!

Well, these articles say exactly what has been said here, that his future is being decided because of his contract. They do not affirm in any way that he's staying on. Also, these are quite bad sources (eurogamer.pt is terrible for MS related news).

Last edited:
I could see a push for Kottick to remain after the acquisition, shareholders tend to like him.

Looking at what is happening to Netflix, the underwhelming of Gamepass and the bad experiences studios had with releasing movies day 1 on streaming it looks lile Phil Spencer has put Xbox in a really bad position and over commited to Gamepass.

Last edited:

reksveks

I could see a push for Kottick to remain after the acquisition, shareholders tend to like him.

Looking at what is happening to Netflix, the underwhelming of Gamepass and the bad experiences studios had with releasing movies day 1 on streaming it looks lile Phil Spencer has put Xbox in a really bad position and over commited to Gamepass.
Activision shareholder don't get a say if it completes.

Netflix also post record revenue and the second highest quarter in terms of OI.

Also Gamepass isn't like Netflix.

Zeroing

Banned
Well, these articles say exactly what has been said here, that his future is being decided because of his contract. They do not affirm in any way that he's staying on. Also, these are quite bad sources (eurogamer.pt is terrible for MS related news).
And that is not all of the articles, google news showed me several articles but they refresh everyday so I do not have all the clickbait ones.
Hence my question but people got triggered...

Just because netflix is not growing this quarter (note that they would have growth if not for stopping the service in Russia and losing 500.000 subscribers in the process) doesn't mean that streaming/selling virtual licences for entertainment is a bad business to be in. There will always be a time when there's market saturation and no new people to sell to but that doesn't mean these companies are not viable. Fighting shared accounts for instance, which they stated this quarter as a problem, wouldn't solve their problem and could actually decrease their userbase.

Also note that they increased prices 6 months ago in Europe so having 222 million users in 2022 still means more money than the equivalent in 2021.

What the people that buy and sell stock think is besides the point, they're sheep. Netflix is profitable and Gamepass and other services like it also have everything to be.

Last edited:
Just because netflix is not growing this quarter (note that they would have growth if not for stopping the service in Russia and losing 500.000 subscribers in the process) doesn't mean that streaming/selling virtual licences for entertainment is a bad business to be in. There will always be a time when there's market saturation and no new people to sell to but that doesn't mean these companies are not viable. Fighting shared accounts for instance, which they stated this quarter as a problem, wouldn't solve their problem and could actually decrease their userbase.

Also note that they increased prices 6 months ago in Europe so having 222 million users in 2022 still means more money than the equivalent in 2021.

What the people that buy and sell stock think is besides the point, they're sheep. Netflix is profitable and Gamepass and other services like it also have everything to be.
If you know more than the market good for you, buy more Netflix now that their market cap took a massive dive. Netflix is hardly something one should aim to become.

Last edited:
If you know more than their share holders good, Netflix market cap took a massive dive, hardly something one should aim to become.
My point: Who cares about wall street bullshit like a "market cap"? I would care if I had stocks. The moment there's anything less than stellar regarding any company, they all sell and low and behold, you have a 25% market value drop. If news tomorrow said that "Knowing Zelensky Inside and Out" and "Putin is Devil Encarnate or is he?" documentaries were making strides with new costumers you'd have a 10% market cap increase for gods sake.

Apple market cap means shit to me when buying an iMac, Sony's market cap means absolutely nothing when buying a PSone, and Netflix market cap means nothing to it's consumers as well; only the fact that they're profitable might. These are profitable businesses to be in, or HBO, Disney, Amazon, Apple, Hulu and so on wouldn't be fighting in the mud for this. They actually wish they were in Netflix position to drop 200.000 costumers when having so many.

And Gamepass won't stay alone in the market for long, because it's moving massive amounts of money around, hence it'll be considered viable by it's competitors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom