• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Sony is acquiring Bungie for 3.6b

sainraja

They're saying Destiny 2 will stay on all platforms it's already on, not that future Destiny games will. It's just like MS and COD.
Bungie isn't going to be making a Destiny 3. They have been updating and cycling content in Destiny 2. Old content goes out and new comes in kind of thing or old content is refreshed etc.

Last edited:
It's been set up more like a partnership which is a good way to do it if you are going to bring something under your umbrella that has a big history with other platforms.

Yeah, because there's always a risk that xbox platform owners react strongly to the news and abandon D2 thinking it doesn't have a future on their platform. That obviously means a loss of revenue for Bungie and in turn Sony.

Unlike a publisher. Bungie basically IS Destiny 2 at this point, so the studio value of 3.6B is essentially the value of the Destiny IP + the promise of future Bungie works.

dumb.jpg

You think a big company managed to put together a multi billion dollar deal in a week?

As for this news, couldn't give less of a shit.

Give me a nudge when they buy Square Enix.

Just goes to show who is insecure if this "game", Jim very confident in the PlayStation brand, buy up a dev, instantly without any ambiguity or subtext announces they will stay multiplatform so all those people getting ready with their Destiny is garbage tropes, don't need to be afraid.

Rest easy xbox gamers, Jim's got you too.
Who said it was done in a week. They've said this has been in discussion for 5-6 months.

Closing the deal seemingly as is was probably desperate as well as the price tag.

I don't own any xbox console nor have I ever.

Calm Mind

I dont get this purchase as someone who plays destiny on and off the way current destiny is is terrible them reselling you old stuff again and locking off content you cant play year 1 Destiny stuff in current Destiny so good luck if you care about the lore. Warframe is 10x better than destiny as a shooter a MMO and a looter base game it is way better than Destiny just saying congrats to sony non the less maybe they can turn them around.
It's funny you mention this seeing how SIE got outbid by Tencent last year to get Warframe's parent company. That combined with the Microsoft acquisition and today's news, it all feels like they made the best of two bad situations.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bungie isn't going to be making a Destiny 3. They have been updating and cycling content in Destiny 2. Old content goes out and new comes in kind of thing.
They got to be working on something. I have a hard time believing they have nothing on the backburner being worked on and the only thing they are doing now is Destiny DLC and mtx.

LQX

Bungie is such a ironic company. They fought for their freedom from Xbox to make something other than Halo, to then nearly repeat the process with Activision. Now they have sold out to Sony.

Also, I think MS has sort of driven up the buy price of some these companies, and looking back Bethesda might have been a steal.

DJ12

Yeah no doubt they are playing chess.
Sony are a very proud company they even fucked off Nintendo and made there own console (ps1) after planning to release a cd-rom Snes.
Also the folks at playstation are very proud and competitive, they want to win.
The only game Phil is playing is getting GamePass on all platforms, please stop this nonesense based on your outdated ideas about what Microsoft Gaming and Microsoft actually want.

They have lost the console war, the new battle to take everyones money, regardless of platform, has begun.

It's funny you mention this seeing how SIE got outbid by Tencent last year to get Warframe's parent company. That combined with the Microsoft acquisition and today's news, it all feels like they made the best of two bad situations.
LOL I forgot about tencent buying warframe parent company yea its a weird trade off

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Again with the goalpost moving...who the hell was even talking about being more succesful??

Do you see any other xbox one in my home other than the one i use as a door blocker because the switch is too light and flat? it's right there close to my shiny day one ps5.
What goalpost moving? I may be confusing our conversation for others. This thread is moving fast lol. MS can buy more studios than sony. Absolutely. Not every studio is for sale and even if they were it might not actually matter is my point. Let's carry on and enjoy the show. I'm a pc guy primarily so I still win regardless of all this craziness.

NickFire

Bungie left Microsoft because the wanted to be independent... now they sellout to Sony. Apparently they didn't like being independent. LOL

Bungie is another studio "founded" by Sony.
Bungie actually left MS and then left Activision.

This could go down as the most boss move of all time if Bungie tech leads to the next top dog in the shooter genre. It would literally be creative freedom triumphing over non-gaming revenue stacks.

skit_data

Well, at least now Playstation has a studio that are actually really competent on both FPS and multiplayer.

I boycotted Destiny 2 after it going F2P because I payed full price for and got nothing for it, but I’m eager to see what they have in the pipeline.

GymWolf

And I tell you such companies change their planes to react to the counterparts strategies. I never argued for a second Sony has the same financial situation of MS. Where do you read it in my post.
Like i said, i felt like that was your point since you were arguing a post where i was saying the opposite.

Yes plans can change, but that doesn't change the fact that M has just more money to burn on silly\big acqusitions and if they both made an offer to the same guy, i don't see sony winning any battle because they just don't have the same amount of money to burn, M just need to make a bigger offer.

Do we have any numbers on how many players it has, it’s concurrents or MAUs. I don’t think it’s been at the forefront of many gamers minds for some time.

maybe I’m wrong.
The question is - what studio more at the forefront of gamers' minds could Sony have gotten for a relatively reasonable price? What Sony wants is a flagship FPS studio to compete with CoD/Halo, and Bungie fits the bill.

Thinking about it, this Sony x Bungie deal has a lot of parallels with their Psygnosis acquisition back in the '90s. Psygnosis was still putting out PC versions of technically 1P games like Wipeout, and even ports to systems like Saturn like with Destruction Derby.

It eventually stopped by around 1998 or so, IIRC, but Psygnosis had a lot of multiplatform flexibility in that deal, and it seems like Bungie will have similar, at least for existing and maybe very specific future IP. But, like Psygnosis, I eventually expect their output to centralize around PlayStation and PC only, at least for native software.

I think Sony and Microsoft will eventually agree to some version of each other's streaming service on their platform to allow for cloud gaming of at least certain 1P content on those systems, forgoing native releases on those platforms. And wouldn't be surprised if they're already hashing out the terms on such a deal as we speak. But probably nothing starts to roll out until like 2024.

Just a hunch out of my ass 🤷‍♂️

Andodalf

Banned
I think this is good for bungie, they’ve clearly negotiated themselves a strong position where they aren’t fully absorbed and don’t lose any staff to redundancy, they retain some autonomy, and could potentially but themselves out again one day if the economic winds are more supportive of independent development. In the meantime they get first class funding and support. Big W!

assurdum

Banned
Like i said, i felt like that was your point since you were arguing a post where i was saying the opposite.

Yes plans can change, but that doesn't change the fact that M has just more money to burn on silly\big acqusitions and if they both made an offer to the same guy, i don't see sony winning any battle because they just don't have the same amount of money to burn, M just need to make a bigger offer.
It wasn't my point at all. I just laughed at the financial console war and about people who thought sony can't allow to spend such money for acquisitions until yesterday

Last edited:

sainraja

They got to be working on something. I have a hard time believing they have nothing on the backburner being worked on and the only thing they are doing now is Destiny DLC and mtx.
I think they do have a new IP in the works. I was just speaking of Destiny 2 and how Bungie has been handling it. I do understand, that what their plan is now could change in the future at some point and we eventually do see a Destiny 3 but that is not what they have been doing. We are soon to get The Witch Queen.

Interesting tidbit, I have read that Bungie wanted to be able to do that with Destiny 1 but couldn't do so under Activision.

Last edited:
Bungie is such a ironic company. They fought for their freedom from Xbox to make something other than Halo, to then nearly repeat the process with Activision. Now they have sold out to Sony.

Also, I think MS has sort of driven up the buy price of some these companies, and looking back Bethesda might have been a steal.
Bethesda was absolutely a steal.

NoviDon

Sony now has a company that can make and has made high quality AAA multiplayer FPS. This secures them in the off chance that MS completely pull COD from their platform after 2023.

GymWolf

What goalpost moving? I may be confusing our conversation for others. This thread is moving fast lol. MS can buy more studios than sony. Absolutely. Not every studio is for sale and even if they were it might not actually matter is my point. Let's carry on and enjoy the show. I'm a pc guy primarily so I still win regardless of all this craziness.
My original point was just about who has the biggest budget for acqusition and why this is not really a war, to be a war both parties need to have the same amount of ammo, and this is not the case.

Not sure why people are ripping their hairs off trying to understand such a simple concept.

DJ12

Interesting, virtually recovered every dollar from the lose with the Activision potential sale.

Maybe Bungie are as big a deal as people are trying to say they aren't (j/k they aren't a big deal, but evidence in the stock price is irrefutable proof I'm lead to believe)

Top Bottom