• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Sony is acquiring Bungie for 3.6b

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony: "Microsoft give us call of duty after 2023!"
Spencer: "lol nope we have the most popular fps now"
Sony: "that's it, we bought Bungie! Now hand over call of duty or we won't release destiny 3 on xbox!"
Spencer:
maxresdefault.jpg

Man, what a weird flex and move. I would rather save up to buy something worth y money rather than waste it on a developer that hasn't been shined since last time they made games for Microsoft.

Eating up the scraps.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
My original point was just about who has the biggest budget for acqusition and why this is not really a war, to be a war both parties need to have the same amount of ammo, and this is not the case.

Not sure why people are ripping their hairs off trying to understand such a simple concept.
The same amount of ammo for a war? Why? That doesn't make sense. I don't want to derail this thread into actual wars but that argument doesn't hold up historically.

Some People don’t understand the value of bungie.Bungie made the very successful Halo ip and made Destiny both great games with a huge fan base.Bungie can create something like halo again and be very successful and they have lots of employees.This is what Sony was lacking, they have killzone and other shooter ips but the studios who made those ipd don’t want to make third or ego shooters all the time so here comes Bungie into play with their huge over 600 employees with expertise in shooters.

Aion002

Bungie left Microsoft because the wanted to be independent... now they sellout to Sony. Apparently they didn't like being independent. LOL

Bungie is another studio "founded" by Sony.
Sony did start "courting" Bungie since they "left" MS.... They had "partnerships" on D1 and D2.

So it is kinda of a "organic acquisition"...

Someone Reaction GIF

:messenger_squinting_tongue:

I thought Sony was broke and was port begging? I get it so confused.

Also, this is sort of a great buy for Sony. how many active players does destiny have across all platforms? I think I am seeing like 1+ million-ish from everything I can find, which is pretty good when considering add-in revenue from people buying dumb things like skins, etc. So, obviously, from a business standpoint, it was probably something that the suits found interesting long term.

Also, the multi-platform commitment is a good sign of continued support for all of us.

"an independent subsidiary"

What does even mean?

If bungie have complete control and can release games where they want whats the point in sony buying them?

I dont think they will be "independent" lol sony will be in control of them.
I would imagine that Sony will just get a bigger cut of their profits.

Honestly seems smart if it is that way. Bungie releases games to all kinds of platforms, Sony makes more $$. Everyone wins.

GymWolf

The same amount of ammo for a war? Why? That doesn't make sense. I don't want to derail this thread into actual wars but that argument doesn't hold up historically.
Jesus it was an example, don't take everything literally.

more ammo = more money
if both make an offer to someone, who is gonna win, the guy with more money or the guy with less money?

Is this more straightforward?!

English is not my native language and you people are making me doubt the sense of life right now :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

RaZoR No1

Never expected Sony to buy Bungie.
This is a suprise, but what IPs does Bungie own?
Sony is sure strategicaly strenghten ups it portfolio

Excess

Thank god I play on PC. I mean, I don't play Destiny, but if this is going to be the way things start going, then you're always going to need to buy two consoles.

Fuck that.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
As I read this in corporate speak.

1. Destiny 2 remains multi platform.
2. Bungie controls Destiny 2's platform "Destiny Universe"

New IP like COD competitor will be Playstation

Not according to Bungie. To have any chance to recoup the Sony investment Bungie will have to stay multiplatform for years.

Last edited:

Fbh

Meh.
But I guess it makes sense, Bungie specializes in what Sony is lacking: First person shooters and multiplayer.
Seems like a massive amount of money for a single dev who owns a single franchise that you won't even make exclusive, I guess Destiny makes more money than I thought.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Bungie left Microsoft because the wanted to be independent... now they sellout to Sony. Apparently they didn't like being independent. LOL

Bungie is another studio "founded" by Sony.

Yeah this aged well 🤣

‘the fruit of, not massive spending sprees, but of very, very steadily, carefully planned organic growth’.

‘It’s probably not widely appreciated or understood, to what extent that we have grown our own game development capability organically over the course of this generation’, Ryan told GamesIndustry.biz

PhaseJump

Banned
Bungie might be the flood here people...
Assimilating and mutating each company it deals with, so that they join a hive mind...

In a few years, Playstation will break free of them and end up merging with Microsoft and Activision. It will be Bungie's fault.

conspiracy-theory.gif

Seriously though. This is great. More chance that a big online multiplayer game will take off on PS consoles. No matter what console warriors spew about Playstation hardware's greatness, it's been weak in the online multiplayer exclusives. It needs a win in it's lineup, and Bungie knows how to build them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bungie is such a ironic company. They fought for their freedom from Xbox to make something other than Halo, to then nearly repeat the process with Activision. Now they have sold out to Sony.

Also, I think MS has sort of driven up the buy price of some these companies, and looking back Bethesda might have been a steal.
Bungie has always been full of shit.

They'll sell out (literally) or partner up with any big game company waving money in their face. Total 100% mercenaries.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Jesus it was an example, don't take everything literally.

more ammo = more money
if both make an offer to someone, who is gonna win, the guy with more money or the guy with less money?

Is this more straightforward?!

English is not my native language and you people are making me doubt the sense of life right now :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Okay. I got you. But this still reeks of unnecessary dick measuring. I'll go back to my counterpoint then. MS has always had more money. Always. It hasn't yielded them the results they want up until this point. Maybe it will someday? Nobody knows of course. Remember how successful Nintendo is without spending all this money? MS can try and buy up everything. It might not matter in the long run. That's also my other counterpoint. Anyway, I think we get each other by this point lol.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Interesting move. Low price tag. Good studio with a lot of monetization. Good game with a lot of players.

I think it's a non-risky acquisition that gives Sony a bit of leverage against COD (not on the same scale).

Good move.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think this is good for bungie, they’ve clearly negotiated themselves a strong position where they aren’t fully absorbed and don’t lose any staff to redundancy, they retain some autonomy, and could potentially but themselves out again one day if the economic winds are more supportive of independent development. In the meantime they get first class funding and support. Big W!
Definitely a huge win for bungie here. theyve killed it with this deal.

Well, this is a surprise, from all the companies who they could spend the money on, all I have to say is this:

Hands Up No GIF by HBO Max

Never played any Bungie game, so I do not like it.

not bad. Im sure Destiny is secretly making a killing on Eververse and the too expensive DLCs they make. Plus its all gonna remain multiplat anyway.

Mokus

Sony should buy promising small studios. With Bungie they wasted a lot of money without any big franchises in the backlog.

arvfab

Banned
It is Jim Ryan after all. He's after revenue.

Who did you want them to purchase? Realistically of course.

Any other studio making interesting games.
Last time Bungie did something nearly interesting was Oni on PS2.

Hell I would have preferred if they bought some smaller, talented studio, like Supermassive or Supergiant. Or buying off Atlus from SEGA. Or LEVEL-5.

I thought Sony was broke and was port begging? I get it so confused.

Also, this is sort of a great buy for Sony. how many active players does destiny have across all platforms? I think I am seeing like 1+ million-ish from everything I can find, which is pretty good when considering add-in revenue from people buying dumb things like skins, etc. So, obviously, from a business standpoint, it was probably something that the suits found interesting long term.

Also, the multi-platform commitment is a good sign of continued support for all of us.

Yeah they have like 1.5 mill MAU and they bring in more people with every season.

Next expansion is gonna break records for them

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The only game Phil is playing is getting GamePass on all platforms, please stop this nonesense based on your outdated ideas about what Microsoft Gaming and Microsoft actually want.

They have lost the console war, the new battle to take everyones money, regardless of platform, has begun.
Yeah, they want it all platforms, thre defintion of "console" when talking about gamepass does not include the PS5.

And sony dont want gamepass on the systems because it takes away spending from there games and services.

They are still competitors.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
This is a bargaining chip. Both Sony and Ms are saying they will keep CoD and Destiny multiplatform but behind the scenes both know what this is.

why... whata bout konami, capcom and from software
they dont make shooters. This is about the FPS userbase. A direct reply to CoD.

Buying capcom or from software wont help them retain the CoD userbase thats about ready to leave in droves.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Would be cool if they got them on a Resistance revival especially since it was one of PlayStation’s attempts at a ‘Halo-killer’

Nah, leave Resistance to Insomniac, Res3 was basically perfect, easily one of the best SP FPS campaign in the past decade, the game was severely hurt only because of Res2 that desperately wanted to applaud to CoD crowd, the game was shit in both SP and MP, and many people abandoned the series ever since, never giving Res3 even a slightest chance.

Sony are a very proud company they even fucked off Nintendo and made there own console (ps1) after planning to release a cd-rom Snes.
Also the folks at playstation are very proud and competitive, they want to win.

There's a documentary about Playstation called 'From Bedrooms To Billions - The Playstation Revolution', where it is said that Sony basically wanted way too much control over the software sales/publishing right for basically just adding a CD drive to SNES, they literally wanted to charge royalties for games sold on the console, basically acting like they were the platform holder, hence Nintendo ditched them and partnered with Philips. Long story short - Sony was already arrogant before they entered the console market. They have this, I don't know, insecurity? That they have to be the best, the biggest, at all cost, over dead bodies, but they have to dominate no matter what.

GHG

This shit needs to stop. They will fucking crash the console video game market consolidating all these studios into a few publishers.

My stance in this as well.

Personally I gain nothing from this move and I'm not a fan of Bungie's recent games so meh.

I'd much rather if they are going to throw some money around that they went out there and got some Japanese developers/franchises.

Top Bottom