• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Sony is acquiring Bungie for 3.6b

3.6 Billion for a single studio whose games will remain multiplatform anyway? Seems kind of a waste of money to me, but what do I know. I would‘ve expected a company like Tencent to be the ones to buy Bungie eventually.

I‘m not sure what Sony is supposed to be getting out of this, since nothing has really changed as far as games are concerned.

Let me explain all that Sony gets. They get access to ALL Bungie's proprietary engines and tools and knowledge base on how to do multiplayer games, how to do shared world games like what Bungie has done, plus they get a super strong company that has a very successful shared world game with a loyal fanbase that isn't going to go anywhere. They also get the next big thing out of Bungie. This is all upside if you don't care about console wars, and the fact that the games will likely go day and date to PC as well as Playstation consoles.

I believe if Bungie wants to publish on Xbox they would do so using their own money, and it wouldn't be funded by Sony. That's my assumption, but Sony gets massive benefits from this. Their own internal studios will get a wealth of knowledge, tools and tech from one of the best multi-player studios in the business. Can you imagine what Sony's studios will be able to do with all that?

SSfox

Who do you think Jimbo is referring when he says "more acquisitions are coming"? hopefully something exciting.

I can see the value on acquiring Bungie (even tho still weird they plan on staying multiplat), but i hope next is gonna be serious acquirement with talented Japanese devs on solo/rpgs games like the ones i named above.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Already have but I got in to playstation from the very beginning for their Japanese titles not for their western cinematic games.
I know man, it’s sad. I have to say that apart from money hating Japanese third parties, it seems those days are over for Sony.

MikeM

yaaay-michael-che.gif

all I want out of Playstation is first party Japanese games but it seems they slowly turning in to Xbox.
Follow the money man.

Futaleufu

I can't read this as anything more than Bungie fleecing a corporation for funding. This is basically exactly what Bungie did to Activision.
Yep, and the moment their next game is a success they will buy themselves out of the deal, again

Last edited:

TheTony316

Who do you think Jimbo is referring when he says "more acquisitions are coming"? hopefully something exciting.

I can see the value on acquiring Bungie (even tho still weird they plan on staying multiplat), but i hope next is gonna be serious acquirement with talented Japanese devs on solo/rpgs games like the ones i named above.
Square Enix, obviously :D

i have to said it again ?

I said they have 6b to spend in around 3 years for playstation they can spend 1 1.5 at year or all in one time.. whatever but those are the money they projected to spend (from 13 to 18b for the entire company)
i Alsop added wake me up when they spend more than 5....and also...they will buy a little japanese publisher .....how the fuck you think that I said they will buy square Enix ...for 1 1.5b???....those are the money they can spend period...and i added they don't have the money to buy T2 or ea

uFCuJ3L.png

WEuhCbA.png

0oIYCqm.png

Take your flip flops off boy

Last edited:

Tutomos

Be careful what you wish for. You think Sony doesn't have money to spend, just look at Embracer Group or T2, much smaller companies and how much they've spent.

MikeM

If Sony is all about "following" the money then we are going to have boring generation same way Hollywood become all about Marvel movies because they make the most money.
People buy them though. Thats what matters at the end of the day.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Capcom brings in fighting games, like Street Fighter plus games lile DMC, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter. Fighting games is something Sony needs.

If they lose those titles to Xbox it will be awful. Way worse than losing Bungie.

Plus Capcom have alot more other IP’s than bungie.

If Sony or anyone in fact buys a combined Sega, Square and Capcom they will always have fans buying there consoles regardless what games the other sides have.
Xbox don’t have a single studio on fighting games, so any fighting game that comes out will be coming out on PS; MK, Tekken, Street Fighter. All of them.

DMC and Resident Evil? Just normal single player games that Sony already produce.

Monster Hunter is the only one that’s different due to the online co-op element but there’s no room to introduce MTX etc so what’s the point?

If you thing Sega would go for 8 billion in time when Bungie shopped themselves for 3,6 billion, I have a bridge to sell to you
Xbox must of put a bid of 2 billion. Then Daddy Microsoft said, “Enough”. I got you Activision already.

Sega isnt more profitable than Bungie. Pandemic hit them hard.

[Sigma]

This is such a trashy move but such a Jim Ryan move at the same time. I'm not excited about this. This doesn't benefit Playstation fans i duuno care what PR trash he's spouting. Paid too much for this. This isn't "organic growth" neither. "Bungie will remain independent", Jim is Phil's bitch at this point.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Bungie is a smart purchase for Sony. They were very obviously losing FPS games.

Bungie was nearly all that's left, and they're good at what they do. Sony had to get it to stay in the running in this genre honestly.
exactly this...they was forced to buy the best left....and they overpayed for it

Last edited:
I dont get this purchase as someone who plays destiny on and off the way current destiny is is terrible them reselling you old stuff again and locking off content you cant play year 1 Destiny stuff in current Destiny so good luck if you care about the lore. Warframe is 10x better than destiny as a shooter a MMO and a looter base game it is way better than Destiny just saying congrats to sony non the less maybe they can turn them around.
The interesting thing is Sony tried to buy Warframe devs in 2020 and got outbid by Tencent....Sony has been looking for a GAAS Dec for a while now

ikbalCO

I don't get the point though if they are going to keep it multiplat unless it was like the Minecraft deal where it was a condition of the sale.
I think sony is trying to buy talent rather than valuable IPs. Bungie are incredibly talented and pretty much pioneered the GAAS.

sinnergy

Now see Sony fans liking these kinds of buys 🤣 they cultivate studios and games 🤡 only 2 weeks ago I got this as response here ..

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Lol what the fuck?

If they stay multi platform I will be surprised. Although I do think that this is a pretty damn good get for Sony, I feel that they could have sucked up a few studios for the money.

Destiny 3 exclusive to PlayStation will be a big deal.

Well done Jim sort of

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People buy them though. Thats what matters at the end of the day.
If that the logic then Vanillaware games shouldn't exist and Dragon Quest game shouldn't release in west because they dont sell that much.

I'm sorry but thats just kill all excitement out of the gaming industry.

Aenima

3.6 Billion for a single studio whose games will remain multiplatform anyway? Seems kind of a waste of money to me, but what do I know. I would‘ve expected a company like Tencent to be the ones to buy Bungie eventually.

I‘m not sure what Sony is supposed to be getting out of this, since nothing has really changed as far as games are concerned.
MS paid 2.5B for minecraft. And that was a indie. Bungie its a very talented studio but the high price comes from Destiny. Being multiplatform just means bigger playerbase and more money coming in.

Top Bottom