• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Sony is acquiring Bungie for 3.6b

3.6 billion for a single dev studio? Seems a bit much compared to the whole of Bethesda for just 4 billion more…

Idk.

That said, i don’t care for Destiny and haven’t played a Bungie game in years so no loss for me personally.

I would not be surprised if Bungie (with Destiny 2 alone) makes more revenue that Bethesda (which will ebb and flow based on release cycles).

DJ12

Denial 🤣

Why be bother by playstations installbase when they are putting gamepass on TVs and more devices.
Yes of course, have it on TVs where people like Samsung will pay you $0.10 per screen sold, and no one ever uses it, or pays for a subscription after the free trail runs out.

vs. sell it to a gamer, just not on "your platform" who will likely sub if the offer is good for them.

I'm sorry you continue to stick to the toxic "tribal" gaming scene Phil hates, but this is happening, as soon as Sony and Microsoft come to an agreement about it.

MS cannot do C(onsoles)aaS, and G(ames)aaS needs paying subscribers to succeed.

PS and Nintendo have a massive majority on console sales, MS be courting them hard.
Stop writing fan fiction
1*BU57RnJoFGfiZq3d7sgxYQ.jpeg

vpance

Source: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/31/bungie-is-joining-playstation/

Bungie’s world-class expertise in multi-platform development and live game services will help us deliver on our vision of expanding PlayStation to hundreds of millions of gamers. Bungie is a great innovator and has developed incredible proprietary tools that will help PlayStation Studios achieve new heights under Hermen Hulst’s leadership.

Bungie makes games with outstanding technology that are enormously fun to play. They also have unmatched dedication to the communities that play their games, and everyone at PlayStation, and PlayStation Studios, will be excited about what we can share and learn from them.

Can't wait for that Destiny Netflix series.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
*Today's Mark Zuckerberg, like the fruit fly his DNA was based upon, dies. With a squishing, bubbling, gurgling sound, today's Mark is expunged from the tree-vagina that grows festering in the heart of 1 Hacker Way*

*As it rises to its feet, Mark begins sloshing away the mucous and gel that covers him, fully clothed and in his late-thirties, a turd-like structure slithers out of his throat and mouth so that he may speak*

"We humans welcome Sony into the fray, to the melee that will birth our Metaverse"

Godot25

Banned
Everyone saying how poor Sony is, here they go paying 3.6 billion for one studio.

I really need to look at the math. Bungie must be hella profitable. Only reason they must be paying this much is because Bungie will pay for itself in 5 years.

Watch them buy Sega for 8 billion. Then Epic Games for 50 billion in Sony shares.
If you thing Sega would go for 8 billion in time when Bungie shopped themselves for 3,6 billion, I have a bridge to sell to you

SSfox

Yup... Meanwhile they were backstabbing and killing Japan Studio from behind

And while No Platinium games, No Kojima Prod, No fromsoft, No Sega, no SE, No Capcom, No Namco Bandai ect...

I don't give a flying fuck about Halo or Destiny or some other Panpan GaaS shiet!!!

If MS and/or Nintendo will be the ones/ and Not Sony who will aquire the japanese studios and publishers, then i'm done with Sony. Enough is enough.

ikbalCO

I like the way Sony approach this buy out tbh. They are crystal clear from the start about exclusivity and dont play around like xbox through stupid and cryptic tweets.

PS really needed a FPS title and a studio with the know how. And now they own one of the best.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Yup... Meanwhile they were backstabbing and killing Japan Studio from behind

And while No Platinium games, No Kojima Prod, No fromsoft, No Sega, no SE, No Capcom, No Namco Bandai ect...

I don't give a flying fuck about Halo or Destiny or some other Panpan GaaS shiet!!!

If MS and/or Nintendo will be the ones/ and Not Sony who will aquire the japanese studios and publishers, then i'm done with Sony. Enough is enough.
It's all about revenue stream and western games have it with tons of mtx and GAAS. Japanese games dont trend to that.

I'm sure Sony could had used that $3.6B and buy a modest Japanese company that has tons of games. But the bean counters concluded it's best to put into Destiny games.

tmlDan

No, Microsoft sounds as if they turned down Bungie's offer. And Bungie asked Microsoft for less than what Sony just paid. If I had a choice between Bethesda and Bungie, I'm choosing Bethesda. If I have a choice between all of Activision Blizzard and Bungie, I'm again taking Activision Blizzard. But Bungie is an excellent studio pick up for Sony, and this is exciting for all gamers. Let. Them. Fight. :)

he is a liar:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Destiny is a good game. I was really into it for a long time. It has devolved into this....carousel though. Time for something new. Hopefully this makes that happen.

Elog

So many people here underestimate Destiny...
Like I wrote before. Destiny 2 has reached top revenue tier on Steam 2019, 2020 and 2021. CoD did not break into that group any of those years in comparison. Destiny is a monster game that is under appreciated here.

Edit: My mistake that CoD was taken off steam in 2018 (do not play it anymore outside consoles). The Destiny revenue generation stands though - really a monster revenue franchise.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yes of course, have it on TVs where people like Samsung will pay you $0.10 per screen sold, and no one ever uses it, or pays for a subscription after the free trail runs out.

vs. sell it to a gamer, just not on "your platform" who will likely sub if the offer is good for them.

I'm sorry you continue to stick to the toxic "tribal" gaming scene Phil hates, but this is happening, as soon as Sony and Microsoft come to an agreement about it.

MS cannot do C(onsoles)aaS, and G(ames)aaS needs paying subscribers to succeed.

PS and Nintendo have a massive majority on console sales, MS be courting them hard.

1*BU57RnJoFGfiZq3d7sgxYQ.jpeg

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Elysion

Banned
3.6 Billion for a single studio whose games will remain multiplatform anyway? Seems kind of a waste of money to me, but what do I know. I would‘ve expected a company like Tencent to be the ones to buy Bungie eventually.

I‘m not sure what Sony is supposed to be getting out of this, since nothing has really changed as far as games are concerned.

MonarchJT

Banned
First you claim there was no reality that Sony spends more than 2 billion and now you're disappointed they didn't spend 3 - 4 x that amount?

You're too obvious
i have to said it again ?

they have 13 to 18b to invest in 3 years..and they have other pillar divisions ...sony music - Sony pictures - Funimation and then Sony interactive entertainment..in this we are keeping out the R&D expenses of the sensors department, tv, etc. etc.
lets say we count just 3 divisions....from 4 to 6b per division in 3 years ....
or 1.something to 2b

The total M&A cash is 24b.....Sony just can't buy EA Sony can't buy T2...Embracer or Bandai Namco ....they could risk everything for square ..Sega or stuff like that but i doubt other divisions let SIE do it

they will get a Japanese publisher...the best they could would be Square with final fantasy...nothing earth shacking ...but good get

wake me up the day that Sony will invest more more than 5b in one m&a
I said they have 6b to spend in around 3 years for playstation they can spend 1 1.5 at year or all in one time.. whatever but those are the money they projected to spend (from 13 to 18b for the entire company)
i Alsop added wake me up when they spend more than 5....and also...they will buy a little japanese publisher .....how the fuck you think that I said they will buy square Enix ...for 1 1.5b???....those are the money they can spend period...and i added they don't have the money to buy T2 or ea

Last edited:
Do you have receipts because all information has pointed to destiny being on a downward trend from the moment destiny 2 launched.

I am not seeing the cash cow you are mentioning?

Someone mentioned it previously but Destiny revenue is like 2B, roughly half Zenimax revenue.

It’s like the second largest shooter franchise next to CoD

So yeah, it’s a huge property. That’s what you’re paying for, future revenue streams.

Studio size isn’t the relative metric. If you want to buy studios, Zenimax makes sense. If you want to buy a massive FPS and GaaS company buy with less employees to manage, Bungie makes sense.

I feel like Bungie is going to be the centerpiece of all PlayStation GaaS / Community driven games, and that’s an area they are lacking. Microsoft wasn’t as jacking and especially not now after buying Activision

he is a liar:

Sept 2020. Why would he ever admit to ongoing talks and discussions? It doesn't happen. Jez is pretty well cued in. If he says Bungie gave Microsoft a price to bring them in, I'd say it's likely true. His sourcing has never been bad for the record on Microsoft and Xbox.

Kokoloko85

Currently 46k players on Destiny 2 on Steam alone.

The boner for Sony to buy Capcom on GAF when they don’t have a single game in their catalogue that fills a hole for Sony. Pretty funny.
Capcom brings in fighting games, like Street Fighter plus games lile DMC, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter. Fighting games is something Sony needs.

If they lose those titles to Xbox it will be awful. Way worse than losing Bungie.

Plus Capcom have alot more other IP’s than bungie.

If Sony or anyone in fact buys a combined Sega, Square and Capcom they will always have fans buying there consoles regardless what games the other sides have.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I like the way Sony approach this buy out tbh. They are crystal clear from the start about exclusivity and dont play around like xbox through stupid and cryptic tweets.

PS really needed a FPS title and a studio with the know how. And now they own one of the best.

I don't get the point though if they are going to keep it multiplat unless it was like the Minecraft deal where it was a condition of the sale.

Top Bottom