• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Sony is acquiring Bungie for 3.6b

Luke Skywalker Milk GIF by Star Wars

Is that real? lol.

Paul Tassi is mega douche.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It's from one of the insiders here, pretty sure you can take it to the bank as he @HeisenbergFX4 does enjoy a drink with MS execs from time to time I believe.

No way on earth MS spent all that money to give games away to 25 million subscribers, most of which paid $1 a month, or some other ridiculous, unsustainable amount.

But you don't need to look very hard for comments from Phil that highlight the intent. "No intent to remove games", "GamePass exclusive" actually becoming a thing xbox exclusive works for PC too. Microsoft making xbox a tiny part of Microsoft Gaming.

But live in denial if you wish.

Oh and believe me, this will work both ways, eventually Sony's GaaS should they go this route, will be on xbox to if MS allow it.

Money is money.

Denial 🤣

Why be bother by playstations installbase when they are putting gamepass on TVs and more devices.

Also I could see them putting a cloud version on ps5 but native is a different story.

Last edited:
The question is how long it will take. I doubt destiny is a system seller.

The only reason anyone talks about destiny and Bungie is because of this sale. Otherwise they would've been forgotten.
Destiny 2 continues to make a ton of cash. It was in Steam's Platinum games for gross revenue last year alone. I'm sure that will continue next year too. As to whether it's a system sellar, it's a bit old for that (but the original Destiny was). When you consider the current market, what knowledge base they offer Sony (in terms of FPS, GaaS, multi-platform, etc.) plus the continued rev from Destiny 2, I think it all adds up to be a resonable valuation.

The Alien

Banned
Good move...great move actually.

They needed someone with competent MP capabilities and experience (sorry their current 1st party wasn't cutting it for MP).

With this and other acquisitions likely in the future (by Sony or others) it'll make that Activision deal go thru easier.

FStubbs

So now Bungie is Sony exclusive. I doubt anyone thinks Bungie games will be on Xbox going forward, and Sony will not make a statement "we plan to honor all commitments" etc.

Destiny 1-2 servers will be shut down ASAP for Destiny 3 which will be PS5 exclusive.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Oh Shit, clap back from SOONNNNYYYY!!!

So everything still remaining multiplatform...I don't get it, why purchase them?

Maybe they'll finally make Destiny 3. The PR twitter posts looks like Sony is trying to hint to Microsoft what they would like them to do. It's nice to see Sony be very clear from the start. Multiplatform. Now and future games.

Microsoft, take notes. More Clarity please.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If this purchase still leads to multiplat games, then the buy out is for the money Destiny brings in with mtx. Not for console exclusive hoarding unless they change their minds which they can always do. Its not like Sony and Bungie are going to say all games going forward are PS only on day one of the announcement.

From the purple board:

unknown.png

G-Bus

Banned
Good for Sony I guess?

Does nothing for me as I don't play Destiny. Curious about any other IP they may have coming up. Maybe something that isn't an fps....

It's from one of the insiders here, pretty sure you can take it to the bank as he @HeisenbergFX4 does enjoy a drink with MS execs from time to time I believe.

No way on earth MS spent all that money to give games away to 25 million subscribers, most of which paid $1 a month, or some other ridiculous, unsustainable amount.

But you don't need to look very hard for comments from Phil that highlight the intent. "No intent to remove games", "GamePass exclusive" actually becoming a thing xbox exclusive works for PC too. Microsoft making xbox a tiny part of Microsoft Gaming.

But live in denial if you wish.

Oh and believe me, this will work both ways, eventually Sony's GaaS should they go this route, will be on xbox to if MS allow it.

Money is money.
Stop writing fan fiction

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
But weren’t we told that so y only buys studios they have long working relationships with?
Didn't they have some sort of exclusive deals on advertising when Destiny 1 came out? They've worked together since they separated from MS. This isn't completely out of nowhere.

MonarchJT

Banned
is a good get just because of the very poor situation of the FPS genre on PlayStation .. at the same time would be useless get for Ms.... that said let's face it here we are not even at Bethesda levels .. leave alone Activision Bliz. I was hoping for a little pub at least

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I haven't bought a bungie game since uhh halo 2 I think. Played destiny for a bit for free with a friend and didn't like it. Wish they bought something I enjoy more lol.

Destiny is too big now for them to do anything else I guess.

3.6 billion for a single dev studio? Seems a bit much compared to the whole of Bethesda for just 4 billion more…

Idk.

That said, i don’t care for Destiny and haven’t played a Bungie game in years so no loss for me personally.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Bullshit, this has only been in the works for 2 weeks.
I am assuming those are Bungie people? I have no fucking clue lol.
No, Microsoft sounds as if they turned down Bungie's offer. And Bungie asked Microsoft for less than what Sony just paid. If I had a choice between Bethesda and Bungie, I'm choosing Bethesda. If I have a choice between all of Activision Blizzard and Bungie, I'm again taking Activision Blizzard. But Bungie is an excellent studio pick up for Sony, and this is exciting for all gamers. Let. Them. Fight. :)

Jez sat in on the meetings so he knows these things.

is a good get just because of the very poor situation of the FPS genre on PlayStation .. at the same time would be useless get for Ms.... that said let's face it here we are not even at Bethesda levels .. leave alone Activision Bliz. I was hoping for a little pub at least

First you claim there was no reality that Sony spends more than 2 billion and now you're disappointed they didn't spend 3 - 4 x that amount?

You're too obvious

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Destiny has been the biggest surprise for me. Started underwhelming in 2014, but now is one of the best/funnest games I've ever played.

For those who don't know, the franchise prints money and is constantly getting new content. The worst part of the game unfortunately is how unfriendly it can be for some new players.

This is fucking huge for Sony.
When it launched I loved Destiny. But at some point I dropped out and got confused with all the expansions getting released and what I would need to do to get back into it.

I jumped back in on Gamepass when it got released with the expansion and although that elevated the stress of thinking "do I need to buy expansions X, Y or Z?" the in game experience was often confusing.

Maybe I'm just too old. I hope they have time and budget to solve these problems as the core game is fantastic.

I'm assuming/hoping all expansions would be bundled in free on the relaunched PS subscription service. If so I might jump back in.

Corrik

Bullshit, this has only been in the works for 2 weeks.
I am assuming those are Bungie people? I have no fucking clue lol.

Jez sat in on the meetings so he knows these things.
It is probably likely that they were in talks with Microsoft but that it would have cost Microsoft more because Microsoft likely wouldn't have allowed the making for a rival console. Thus, Bungie took the Sony deal.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Didn't they have some sort of exclusive deals on advertising when Destiny 1 came out? They've worked together since they separated from MS. This isn't completely out of nowhere.

Same as when Sony acquired insomniac, they had made a game exclusive to Xbox.

Bungie have a history of working with xbox

No prob with Sony getting them as I have both . Just saying a lot of Sony fans saying they only buy studios that is organic and just with with Sony.

A good get for sure

Elog

What I meant is, that Bungie hasn't been anything big for a while. Destiny was overhyped, destiny 2 eventually f2p, and its not really a popular franchise anymore.
Our personal opinions re Destiny 2 might differ (not a game for me for example) but your statement is completely wrong.

Destiny 2 was a top revenue generator on Steam in 2019, 2020 and 2021. It is a money making machine with a very loyal fan base. As a matter of fact CoD did not reach the top revenue generating spot on Steam any of those years in comparison.

Check your facts before writing.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
3.6 billion for a single dev studio? Seems a bit much compared to the whole of Bethesda for just 4 billion more…

Idk.

That said, i don’t care for Destiny and haven’t played a Bungie game in years so no loss for me personally.
Their last few games were Destiny 1 in 2014 and Destiny 2 in 2017. Any numerous DLC in between. That's a lot of money. Somehow Insomniac games was only sold for $230M.

Top Bottom