• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Sony is acquiring Bungie for 3.6b

Hari Seldon

Exactly my point. If the likes of PUBG and Apex are 300k and 150k more than Destiny 2 on Steam, what are the numbers going to be when you add in the other stores, and console players?.
There is no fucking way Destiny has more players than PUBG on all platforms. PUBG is huge in India and has like 700 million downloads lmfao. They made 244 million in revenue in just December 2021.

EDIT: China, not India. They made 68.2% of their mobile revenue in China. There is 0% chance that a big mobile game in China is not outdrawing a non-mobile game not in China unless it was like the biggest thing in India lol.

Last edited:

Twinblade

This is about more than just Destiny.

Bungie is one of the best in the world at creating successful MP games and Sony wants access to that talent and knowledge. This information will then be applied to exclusive games in the future.

MP games is Sony's biggest weakest and I guess they think this will help that.

Got me thinking that Sony has plans for Bungie outside of Destiny... perhaps a new Socom revival?

chonga

I really don’t get this purchase, honestly. Self-published in particular makes no sense to me in the context of an acquisition.
'Free' with Spartacus, full price on Xbox. That's the likely play here. Nets the most revenue, pisses off no one.

I called this with COD. People keep saying COD is the likely contender to go exclusive, but in my view it is the reverse. COD free on GP, full price on PlayStation. Whilst MS has more room to not require netting the most revenue it can, it does not piss PlayStation owners off but rather give them maximum incentive to switch. Much better to have someone say 'man I need to get Game Pass so I can get the game for 'free', what a deal' than to have them think 'screw them for taking my game away from me'.

yurinka

Of all the possible ways to spend their money, they choose Bungie?
I think it was important for them to own, and also have someone to teach their other teams:
-Top tier FPS games
-Top tier MP games with huge communities
-GaaS

Plus they make sure MS doesn't keep them away from PS.

They gone need 2 now. Because COD was the halo killer, an actually succeeded. It’s like a 2 v 1 right now lol.
Sony now doesn't only has Destiny and Bungie, they also have a 2nd party game coming from a studio of former Halo/Destiny/Apex Legend leads and another one from former COD BO leads.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
I'm not talking about whether they can get Epic themselves. I was targeting the nonsense that you think a company needs 50B in cash to make a 50B aquisition. That you even think that shows how little you actually know
I'm specifically talking about Sony, not "a company" Sony needs more cash in hands than shares because of their value in the market. Amazon could buy 99% of epic with just stocks and they would be just fine, Sony would have to give a third of their company.

wolffy71

Banned
The real question is, does this really signal the acquisition war?

I feel like this one is just for the sake of an acquisition.

Its not a catalog of titles for gamepass, its not gonna be exclusive, it doesnt really do much other than add a studio and revenue to Sony.

I think we are gonna see almost all devs be bought, and bought shortly. This really is the beginning.

Any companies out there wanting ip needs to act swiftly or the shelves are gonna be bare. That the definition of buying pressure.

arvfab

Banned
I think it was important for them to own, and also have someone to teach their other teams:
-Top tier FPS games
-Top tier MP games with huge communities
-GaaS

Maybe, but not interested in GaaS or MP games.

And the "teach their other teams" is the part I'm worried about.

tmlDan

Not at all. You should read up on IP acquisitions.

For example, this is why Microsoft had to buy Halo from Bungie when Bungie split from Microsoft back in the day. Bungie always retains ownership of their IPs and they don't give it up for anyone. It was a stipulation of their deal with Activision Blizzard for the original Destiny that Bungie owns the IP outright. This is why its laughable what Sony has paid for Bungie; when Bungie eventually leaves Sony, they'll take all their IPs with them and Sony gets nothing.
We don't know the technicalities of the deal, there were nuances to the MS deal that led to where it ended, obviously.

I doubt they would make that mistake in acquisition agreements, and things could still change in the future as former leadership fades off the board.

If I could have picked a company I wouldn't mind losing access to, Bungie would be way up there - although doesn't look they'll abandon PC anyway.

I remember a while back I finally gave Destiny a try and then a day after installing the game, Bungie announced they were locking away most of the early content. I took that as a sign that me and games like Destiny just weren't meant to be. The game already seemed pretty unfriendly to new players anyway.

DaGwaphics

Because Bungie isn't part of PlayStation Studios, they're still 100% independent and will be self-publishing their games, and their new IP that's under development isn't exclusive.

For now. You don't get to sell your business and stay in full control of it, otherwise, what is it that was purchased?

Sony will have the authority to do what they want. They may agree to something today and then change course down the line. They will be able to dissolve the board at their choosing, not saying they will, but they could.

Last edited:

Twinblade

I don't think Sony buying Bungie is because of Destiny, Destiny is one reason I guess, but Sony must have a plan for Bungie. New IP's or perhaps reviving an old IP?

MAG?
Socom?
Warhawk?

Orpheum

From what I've read the games will continue to be multiplatform. That's how it's supposed to be.

Good riddance this is getring ridiculous

Stuart360

'Free' with Spartacus, full price on Xbox. That's the likely play here. Nets the most revenue, pisses off no one.

I called this with COD. People keep saying COD is the likely contender to go exclusive, but in my view it is the reverse. COD free on GP, full price on PlayStation. Whilst MS has more room to not require netting the most revenue it can, it does not piss PlayStation owners off but rather give them maximum incentive to switch. Much better to have someone say 'man I need to get Game Pass so I can get the game for 'free', what a deal' than to have them think 'screw them for taking my game away from me'.
Microsofts main goal is Gamepass, and growing it. To do that you need hardware sales as Gamepass is a game download service. Sony IMO will never allow Gamepass on Playstation as it would just be too bad of a look. So Microsoft need Xbox sales, and COD being Xbox console exclusive will deliver that in droves.

Are you serious?

Let’s see,

Member when peoples lost their collective minds about Disney buyouts?

Marvel, $4B
Lucasfilm, $4B

Now we have,
Destiny, $3.6B

Prices are getting ridiculous. This is almost scalper territory.
Disney made out like a Bandit.

Marvel + Lucasfilm = ZeniMax

Fox = Activision.
Got me thinking that Sony has plans for Bungie outside of Destiny... perhaps a new Socom revival?
900+ studio is going to make a New IP not some failed old IP like Killzone or Socom.

ZehDon

Hmm, that actually sparks some interest then. I can’t get into the aesthetic of Destiny and Halo, it’s not my type of Sci-Fi.

Do you have any links/further info on the subject matter?
Not a specific link, no. I believe their next game is a F2P MMO-ish game called Matter, and some of the concept art that has come out on a few fan sites gives a strong medial fantasy vibe. But, so did some of the early Destiny stuff.

Kokoloko85

lol you guys are totally divorced from reality. What the hell is Konami going to do for Sony? So they buy a bunch of dusty Konami IPs, none of which have much relevance in today's market. Now what? Spend six years making a single player cinematic third person game with some Konami IP so people can buy it for 15 bucks at GameStop 4 months after launch?

Normally I wouldnt want sony to buy IP’s but in todays market with MS buying loads of 3rd party IP’s, Playstation need do buy some too.

Some playstation fans prefer if playstation keep more playstation traditional ip’s secure like Resident Evil, MGS, Silent Hill, PES, Final Fantasy, Persona etc.
Im sure they can have Kojima work with MGS and Silent Hill, or Zone of Enders. Im sure they can get a proper team to work on PES etc
Plus games like castlevania, bomberman, that weird card game, suikoden which is a JRPG, as they are lacking. Plenty better IP than destiny

Ezekiel_

Banned
Considering that Destiny 2 pulls in about the same concurrent number of players as Apex Legends and Among Us (1 million), it doesn't seem so bad of an acquisition.

Maybe their next IP will be an even bigger hit.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This get makes zero sense and is overpriced as fuck, I guess when nothings available you do what you need to do to look like you’re not doing nothing.
lol they didnt spend $3.6 billion just to look like you're not doing anything. If MS was trying to buy Bungie like reports suggest then Sony HAD to act. They overpaid to save their business. It's really as simple as that.

ZehDon

We don't know the technicalities of the deal, there were nuances to the MS deal that led to where it ended, obviously.

I doubt they would make that mistake in acquisition agreements, and things could still change in the future as former leadership fades off the board.
Then why are you trying to correct people? You clearly don't understand Bungie, their history, or how IPs are handled.

Bungie have never signed a deal for their IP once in their history. Today, Bungie confirmed in full that not only would they continue to independently publish their games, but their next un-announced game won't be a PlayStation exclusive at all. This reads like a typical Bungie deal to me, meaning Sony didn't buy their IPs.

yurinka

Sony: "Microsoft give us call of duty after 2023!"
Spencer: "lol nope we have the most popular fps now"
Sony: "that's it, we bought Bungie! Now hand over call of duty or we won't release destiny 3 on xbox!"
Spencer:
maxresdefault.jpg

Man, what a weird flex and move. I would rather save up to buy something worth y money rather than waste it on a developer that hasn't been shined since last time they made games for Microsoft.

Eating up the scraps.
Seems that Sony started the Bungie acquisition 5-6 months ago, while according to WSJ -a month after Spencer said they were going to reevaluate their relationship with ABK due to the controversies-, MS approached ABK for the first time last month interested on acquiring them.

Last edited:
I'm specifically talking about Sony, not "a company" Sony needs more cash in hands than shares because of their value in the market. Amazon could buy 99% of epic with just stocks and they would be just fine, Sony would have to give a third of their company.

What part of it can be a mix do you not get?

They're 110 billion or something in valuation right now, they have around 20 billion in cash on hand, and they've make a 5 year average of 8 billion in free cash flow

Thry could for example, use 15 million of their own cash on hand, issue 20 billion, which can be paid off within less than three years and pay the rest in stocks

Does that sound difficult to you?

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned

Both COD and Bungies next game will be pc and respective platform exclusive. Once one is announced exclusive the other will just shrug their shoulders and reciprocate.

DJ12

The real question is, does this really signal the acquisition war?

I feel like this one is just for the sake of an acquisition.

Its not a catalog of titles for gamepass, its not gonna be exclusive, it doesnt really do much other than add a studio and revenue to Sony.

I think we are gonna see almost all devs be bought, and bought shortly. This really is the beginning.

Any companies out there wanting ip needs to act swiftly or the shelves are gonna be bare. That the definition of buying pressure.
Sony and Microsoft are only in competition in their fanboys minds these days.

MS are no threat to Sony's console business.

Sony are no threat to Microsofts Software business.

In these enlightened times, it really wouldn't surprise me to see Bungie making another Halo game, that's multiplatform.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Uncharted on xbox either.

The times are changing.

tmlDan

Then why are you trying to correct people? You clearly don't understand Bungie, their history, or how IPs are handled.

Bungie have never signed a deal for their IP once in their history. Today, Bungie confirmed in full that not only would they continue to independently publish their games, but their next un-announced game won't be a PlayStation exclusive at all. This reads like a typical Bungie deal to me, meaning Sony didn't buy their IPs.
You also don't understand that they are owned by Sony now, the reason for the MS fallout was that MS wanted them to just make Halo and they did not.

MS still owned them, the only threat they could make was everyone quitting or making their own studio.

Sony could still give them creative freedom, and still say ya know what, make what you want but its no on MS platforms.

you cannot deny, no matter what they say about being independent, they are OWNED by Sony and are too big to do what they did in 2007 when they threatened MS to quit if they didn't let them break off on their own. It's rare that EVER happens, wake up.

ethomaz

Banned
I am trying to do the maths
- 860k total
- Steam is capping out according to steamdb at 70k (https://steamdb.info/app/1085660/graphs/)

So you saying the steam is 8% of the destiny player base?
Or is there another pc launcher that I am missing?

Or one of the sites is wrong or both are. Is there a way to get split by platform in the Discord?
It was launched late on Steam.
The original launcher is Battle.net.

In any case I don’t know how that Steam DB works because around 30% of activity are PC users.

Last edited:
Top Bottom