• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Sony is acquiring Bungie for 3.6b

GHG

Gold Member
Honestly, this sounds really stupid.

They paid a studio more than half than the whole Activision?

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

kingfey

Banned
Bungie was valued at 2 billion recently, Sony paid nearly double, its a very bad deal.
Talent vs IPs.

Look at insomniac purchase. That talent gave them a powerhouse.

Bungie would be a powerhouse for Sony. Same as how Bethesda would be a powerhouse for MS.

IPs are worthless, If you arent working on them.

Sony made 2 new big IPs last gen. Horizon and Ghost of tsushima. Talents will give them IPs like those.

Even Housemarque made returnal.

Last edited:

yurinka

Both COD and Bungies next game will be pc and respective platform exclusive. Once one is announced exclusive the other will just shrug their shoulders and reciprocate.
Not sure if this will ever happen. Both said that plan to continue supporting the other consoles in the future.

Maybe by multiplat they mean PC and PS5 outside of Destiny 2 etc
A PSV2 game made by Bungie would be cool tho
They specified that by multiplat they mean to continue releasing current and future games in non-Sony consoles. They also mentioned Bungie will stand as separate, multiplatform, independent from PS Studios publisher under SIE with full creatitve freedom.

Honestly, this sounds really stupid.

They paid a studio more than half than the whole Activision?
The half of Zenimax (which includes Bethesda and others), not Activision Blizzard King.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Is almost as if you are willfully ignoring what is written in plain text for all to see.

What part of this are you struggling with?

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives?
No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community.

I like this from Sony, going straight were Microsoft are too scared to.

Buying someone to complete their own portfolio, not to remove it from somewhere else.
That is because I am fucking ignoring it.

We can revisit this once Bungies next game is announced. Which will be multiplatform....... Playstation and PC

Stuart360

Game Pass is not just a game download service. It offers cloud gaming functionality as well. So no, they are not totally dependent on hardware sales.
Phil himself basically said what i posted in an interview a few months ago. Plus from what i understand Xclud isnt available on everything yet, and you need Gamepass Ultimate anyway, and i would 'guess' that standard Gamepass subscriptions vastly outnumber Ultimate subs.
Xcloud seems to be more of a future proofing thing, but is available now for the people that care about streaming. The game download part is the main bulk of Gamepass i'm sure.

Someone mentioned it previously but Destiny revenue is like 2B, roughly half Zenimax revenue.

It’s like the second largest shooter franchise next to CoD

So yeah, it’s a huge property. That’s what you’re paying for, future revenue streams.

Studio size isn’t the relative metric. If you want to buy studios, Zenimax makes sense. If you want to buy a massive FPS and GaaS company buy with less employees to manage, Bungie makes sense.

I feel like Bungie is going to be the centerpiece of all PlayStation GaaS / Community driven games, and that’s an area they are lacking. Microsoft wasn’t as jacking and especially not now after buying Activision
I'm not sure where anyone got that revenue number from. As far as I know they have not publicly stated any revenue numbers. Also if their revenue is 2 billion and they sold for only 3.6 billion then their profit and growth numbers have to look horrible. Here are some gaming valuations compared to Revenue:

Roblox: value is 19.56 times revenue
Activision (pre MSFT purchase): value was 5.65 times revenue, Microsoft is paying about 7.7 times revenue
EA: value is 6.01 times revenue
Take 2: value is 5.532 times revenue
CdPR: value is 7.5 times revenue

I could go on, but companies are usually worth a decent multiple of revenue plus a premium when purchased. If Bungie had 2 billion of revenue in 2021, and sold for 1.8 times revenue with a purchase premium as well then they are likely doing very badly profit wise, and may even be looking for bailout. I would guess their revenue is no more than 600 million annually, but again they are a private company and haven't released revenue figures publicly ever as far as I know

Bungie is going to publish its next game on XBX just so Microsoft fans can bask in the glory of paying $70 for a game which will not be on gamepass.

wolffy71

Banned
Destiny 2 is not exactly free to play.

It has a base game that can be free played (old content)… and that means nothing.
The last activities and content are still locked for these that brought the game/expansion/seasonpass.
Right but it still doesnt have a game to sell so its not gonna be a console mover. Maybe they go exclusive content again but in a MP game, as we saw with Destiny already, that can divide the playerbase and just be a fuck up in the end.

So i still think of it as a f2p title, one with paid content of course.

Leyasu

Banned
Not sure if this will ever happen. Both said that plan to continue supporting the other consoles in the future.
Yeah ok. Everyone saying the right things until the games actually get announced once the deals are finalized. We will see

DJ12

Ok fair play that Sony isn't forcing exclusivity. But can we not act like they've never money hatted anything. Especially when were talking about destiny lol.
I think everyones shit stinks with money hatting.

But in the most part, everyone gets to play eventually, so I'm generally OK with that, but I would say that as Sony money hat shit I like, like FF7.

DavJay

Why they Sony pay so much for Bungie? That’s the destiny franchise for 3.6 billion! Disney got Star Wars AND Indiana Jones for around that much.

ethomaz

Banned
Right but it still doesnt have a game to sell so its not gonna be a console mover. Maybe they go exclusive content again but in a MP game, as we saw with Destiny already, that can divide the playerbase and just be a fuck up in the end.

So i still think of it as a f2p title, one with paid content of course.
The game is sold on stores.
You need to buy it.

You need to pay $80 to play Destiny 2 over the “F2P” base.

Every year is the same… $70-80 to play Destiny over the “F2P” base.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I remember a handsome tall guy, who said the same thinng.

New IPs would be exclusive. Existence IPs would be multiplatform. Meaning destiny 2 is multiplatform. But not destiny 3. That would be Sony exclusive, like Starfield, ES6.

DJ12

That is because I am fucking ignoring it.

We can revisit this once Bungies next game is announced. Which will be multiplatform....... Playstation and PC
And when it's not?

I mean it's pretty much not already, but when you officially hold the xbox game in your hand?

Why they Sony pay so much for Bungie? That’s the destiny franchise for 3.6 billion! Disney got Star Wars AND Indiana Jones for around that much.
Sony must feel that their next MMO ( matter) which is still in the oven is going to be a winner and that alone would make them their money back if true.

yurinka

Then why are you trying to correct people? You clearly don't understand Bungie, their history, or how IPs are handled.

Bungie have never signed a deal for their IP once in their history. Today, Bungie confirmed in full that not only would they continue to independently publish their games, but their next un-announced game won't be a PlayStation exclusive at all. This reads like a typical Bungie deal to me, meaning Sony didn't buy their IPs.
Bungie signed a deal with MS for Halo and gave MS the IP.
Bungie signed a deal with Activision for Destiny and gave them the IP and had to get it back.
Activision had a deal with Sony for Destiny to make it multi, and some small exclusives.
Sony acquired Bungie, which also means bought not only Bungie, but Destiny and all their future IPs.
Bungie is no longer a separate company from Sony, Bungie is now part of Sony.
Now Sony will have 2 publishers under SIE: PlayStation Studios and Bungie.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
And when it's not?

I mean it's pretty much not already, but when you officially hold the xbox game in your hand?
When it's day and date on Xbox, like all Microsofts new I.Ps are on Sony, I will then come back and eat some crow.

Until then, Bungies multiplatform future is Playstation/PC and Microsofts studios will be xbox/PC.

I don't know if you are mocking me or not. I don't mind if you are lol

Can you imagine Sony just letting Bungies next game arrive on Xbox day and date with all the trimmings? I just don't see it.

No not mocking lmao. I don't believe future games will either.

A lot of people will use the Jim Ryan is a liar card when it comes to whether Spiderman 2 or Wolverine are PS5 exclusives, so I'm using it say Bungies games will be exclusive :messenger_beaming:

NikuNashi

Talent vs IPs.

Look at insomniac purchase. That talent gave them a powerhouse.

Bungie would be a powerhouse for Sony. Same as how Bethesda would be a powerhouse for MS.

IPs are worthless, If you arent working on them.

Sony made 2 new big IPs this gen. Horizon and Ghost of tsushima. Talents will give them IPs like those.

Even Housemarque made returnal.

Last gen.

Smoke6

Great for Sony and them boosting their multiplayer output. After Destiny though, I can’t say I’m particularly interested in anything they put out moving forward, especially if it’s
The question is - what studio more at the forefront of gamers' minds could Sony have gotten for a relatively reasonable price? What Sony wants is a flagship FPS studio to compete with CoD/Halo, and Bungie fits the bill.
Man killzone 2 pre patch was the shits!!! I can only imagine what they’re capable of pulling off with that game now and not submitting to the crybabies about player movement when it was on point to begin with!

Microsoft didn’t overpay for anything, they underpaid for a company down in value and only paid market price without a premium compared to what it was trading at before the public outcry, they got a bargain.

‘Future Bungie releases to remain multiplatform as well.’

If Sony thinks this is a bartering chip for CoD I’ve got news for you son 😂

This get makes zero sense and is overpriced as fuck, I guess when nothings available you do what you need to do to look like you’re not doing nothing.
Ah yes, someone else who doesn’t know how to read, maybe try and read the article and understand why this purchase was made, they literally tell you what their plans are going forward and this has nothing to do with keeping bungie games as exclusives to PS platforms, rather they want more revenue streams going forward.

ethomaz

Banned
I did some more research about the Steam Concurrent Users…

Seems like it is updated with the avg. of each 2 hours.
That makes sense… in a day you will have around 300k users.

That matches the 35% from 800-900k per day from Bungie data.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Interesting either way. One things for sure. Of these companies are putting out good games and making $$$ these big guys are gonna dump them.

Which will probably result in smaller companies being made from fired devs. The circle of life lol. I see this a circular type thing, eventually.

Is it really? spend 3.6 billion and yet Bungie still have total control does sony even own the Destiny IP now if not that a horrible deal

No. It's the same with Microsoft. The subsidiaries own the IPs. If Microsoft wanted to sell Zenimax tomorrow they'd need to negotiate to keep the IPs, otherwise they leave with Zenimax

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Is it really? spend 3.6 billion and yet Bungie still have total control does sony even own the Destiny IP now if not that a horrible deal
Sony owns the IP. Since they own bungie.

This is the same thing as bethesda and activision. Xbox doesnt have control of those, MS does.

They are trying to separate their studios like MS. 3 publishers under MS gaming. That is what Sony is going for.

This would likely mean, a new publisher purchase.

Smoke6

Agreed. But it wouldn't surprise me if MS did choose to leave CoD $70 on PS and pick around the edges more for exclusive content. "Free" vs. $70 is a compelling advantage alone, plus, once you get past the existing Sony contracts it won't be Xbox missing modes and DLC content. Some of these acquisitions are about protecting content vs. 100% exclusives, IMO. Xbox can never lose CoD now, and should things move in a more streaming focused future, MS's service will have CoD when no others would.

With that said though, Activision is painting a picture that definitely leaves room for exclusives. Especially after Activision responded with a list of specific titles rather than a blanket statement when questioned about the future of CoD.
Devs are gonna start leaving and making more studios of the games we all want or new IPs! This is how I feel we get more studios out of acquisitions like this.

Top Bottom