• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Sony is acquiring Bungie for 3.6b

Stuart360

What? You think 15 million people on Steam bought Call of Duty when it was on there?
Actually you're right. COD was never huge on PC, not like on console. PC has an absolute ton of military shooters that are a little more hardcore than COD lol.
COD apparently did sell well with Modern Warfare 2019, and Warzone is pretty huge now on PC.
Before Modern Warfare 2019 though, it wasnt close to console numbers.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
That wont matter, until MS has the SP games.

MS needs to strengthen their SP games, before they become serious contender to Sony. Remember Sony has Disney line call. They can do marvel game, and most US residents will buy PS5-6 for that. Especially with how Spiderman sold alot of ps4 consoles.
All I have to say is that a MS IP was the best selling game last year and almost every year on PlayStation. They will for sure be treating MS differently now.

ZehDon

Bungie signed a deal with MS for Halo and gave MS the IP.
Bungie signed a deal with Activision for Destiny and gave them the IP and had to get it back.
Activision had a deal with Sony for Destiny to make it multi, and some small exclusives.
Sony acquired Bungie, which also means bought not only Bungie, but Destiny and all their future IPs.
Bungie is no longer a separate company from Sony, Bungie is now part of Sony.
Now Sony will have 2 publishers under SIE: PlayStation Studios and Bungie.
Not even remotely correct.

Right from day 1, Bungie owned the Destiny IP. They never "had to get it back". In fact, when they split from Activision, they described that Activision was interested in focusing on their owned IP. Bungie has never not owned Destiny.
As part of their split from Microsoft, Bungie allowed Microsoft to retain the Halo IP. This was exchanged for undisclosed conditions.
As of today, Bungie is an independent publisher owned by Sony. Based on their announcements, they appear to retain ownership of the Destiny IP. Also based on their announcements today, future titles will remain multiplatform. It seems unlikely Sony will own those IPs too, given that Bungie owns all of its own IP and they were developed prior to Sony's acquisition.

Dibils2k

so many first party studios on xbox and playstation

which is great for gamers as the quality/budget of those games tend to be higher

We don't know if Microsoft passed on Bungie

But I have 80 Billion reasons to believe that price wasn't an issue. We are talking about 3.6B dollars, chump change for MS

Perhaps Bungie just didn't want to be purchased by Microsoft, given their history together.

Bungie is a little slutty tbh. Microsoft. Then Activision. Now Sony. They'll buy themselves out in 10 years and go to Nintendo. Village bicycle. LOL

Unknown?

Well this was certainly surprising. Definitely a better choice than EA, Take Two, or Ubisoft. Obviously not nearly as big or as pricey but Bungie still makes decent games whereas those three are microtransaction nightmares.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The wording seems similar to MS recent acquisitions.

Their future titles that are currently in development will remain multiplatform. Seems like they can't say much until the deal officially closes.

Lognor

Banned
We've come full circle lmao. I mean come on you were all dragging on PS guys in the Activision and Zenimax threads for this shit.

It's confirmation that the games aren't going to be just on PS. It's not confirmation they're going to be on Xbox.
What is good for the goose is good for the gander or some shit. lol

I'm really just waiting for yurinka yurinka to weigh in. He said COD will continue to release on PS and Starfield will too so he must also think that Bungie will release games on Xbox. I wish he would respond to me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We've come full circle lmao. I mean come on you were all dragging on PS guys in the Activision and Zenimax threads for this shit.

It's confirmation that the games aren't going to be just on PS. It's not confirmation they're going to be on Xbox.
I don't think it's the same. Phil was giving PR speech, but if you read between the lines, future Activision games, after current contracts, will NOT be on any platforms that GamePass does not reside on, such as PlayStation.

This is more black and white. For the foreseeable future, Bungie games will remain on every possible platform, including Xbox.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I am talking about WW II, which is available on Steam.
You are high if you think Call of Duty is massive on Steam.
That game sold 19m as of now, close to 20m. Cold war sold 30m. Steam would have dominated Call of duty, but activision wanted their own launcher.

You are underestimating steam here. Steam isnt the same as it was in 2017. 28m users were logged in at the same time. in 2020, they had 120m players. Same numbers as ps4 sold.

DJ12

MS main goal is gamepass. With starfield ES6, I expect call of duty to be exclusive too.

You dont get new gamepass subs, if you share your games. By putting it on PC, you enticing them to join PC gamepass.

MS wants to build a pc store, and make Windows store attractive, along side gamepass pc.
And they also want it on PlayStation. Geez.... why are you in denial.

Gamepass growth has been less than expected, and that's with them giving it away to PC gamers and offering some ridiculous deals to Xbox owners + buying bethesda.

the very notion that they won't get more subs by including PlayStation in their offer, than they would without is laughable.

People buying gamepass on playstation will not make people cancel it on xbox or pc.

I just don't get your logic at all, but I'm not in denail so why would I understand you.

SLB1904

Banned
I am talking about WW II, which is available on Steam.
You are high if you think Call of Duty is massive on Steam.
yeah cod is very disappointed on pc. doesnt help when cheaters run the show and connectivity issues all over as well.

Three

Because Bungie isn't part of PlayStation Studios, they're still 100% independent and will be self-publishing their games, and their new IP that's under development isn't exclusive.
Man, so Activision was bought for $69B and everyone (including MS) are saying COD will remain on PS but the excuse is that they would never pay and "keep the status quo". Now Sony buys Bungie for $3.6B and people are saying they overpaid and now when they say they are keeping Destiny multiplatform "keeping the status quo" seems legit.

I don't know who's hot take to believe anymore.

They are both probably keeping the status quo and are after the revenue

Last edited:

Mr Moose

That game sold 19m as of now, close to 20m. Cold war sold 30m. Steam would have dominated Call of duty, but activision wanted their own launcher.

You are underestimating steam here. Steam isnt the same as it was in 2017. 28m users were logged in at the same time. in 2020, they had 120m players. Same numbers as ps4 sold.
giphy.gif

Allandor

So Bungie is bought a third time? Did anybody not own Bungie yet?

Yes a bit much salt in this.
Do they still have any IP other than Destiny which is well not that good but also not that bad.

Shmunter

Point of note, this is an investment by Sony, not PlayStation. Bungie games to be independent off PlayStation published far and wide, including Xbox.

Funny enough the MS acquisitions are structured in an identical way, gaming divisions independent of Xbox sitting along side.

I hope this does not undercut investment in PS projects.

kingfey

Banned

Gamepass growth has been less than expected, and that's with them giving it away to PC gamers and offering some ridiculous deals to Xbox owners + buying bethesda.

the very notion that they won't get more subs by including PlayStation in their offer, than they would without is laughable.

People buying gamepass on playstation will not make people cancel it on xbox or pc.

I just don't get your logic at all, but I'm not in denail so why would I understand you.
They want it on the devices that has gamepass. MS would very happy to put gamepass on that system.

We know that is impossible, as that would destroy Sony revenue. Their entire 2020 revenue, which was due to lockdown, was $25b. The best year in the gaming industry. Gamepass would destroy their normal revenue,a nd help MS gain free revenue from playstation.

Sony has 46m ps+ user. If those users join gamepass, it would make gamepass numbers hit 71m users. That is free $6.8b to xbox in 1 year.

Sony would not want that option. It is suicide for their system. Their entire game studios depend on those revenue. They wont be able to make big hits, if gamepass keeps eating their revenue.

Last edited:
That wont matter, until MS has the SP games.

MS needs to strengthen their SP games, before they become serious contender to Sony. Remember Sony has Disney line call. They can do marvel game, and most US residents will buy PS5-6 for that. Especially with how Spiderman sold alot of ps4 consoles.
lmao what the fuck.

Hunnybun

It's do or die. With Microsoft snatching up big devs left and right what choice does Sony have now?

I'm not totally against it, but imo 3.6bn could be better spent just investing in expanding their current studios and even starting new ones.

That's a fucking shitload of money. They could probably get the equivalent of like 10 big studios off the ground if they just took their time.

But I guess we'll see what happens.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Fucking hell. I don't like this kind of thing. Neither this nor the Activion deal is good to my eyes. I prefer to have companies independent from the console manufacturers. I don't see how this is a win for the market. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, but for the moment being that's my feeling.

kingfey

Banned
All I have to say is that a MS IP was the best selling game last year and almost every year on PlayStation. They will for sure be treating MS differently now.
While that is good for Sony and MS relationship, It wont change the stats of xbox sadly.

Xbox needs a good SP game quality. Games with story driven gameplay. Sony has that edge from MS.

It would take time to change the public perception. Or Sony would reach new high, if they team up with Disney.

Stuart360

I love iit when people say stuff like this. I have been subbed to PC Gamepass since May 2020. I got the first month for £1, got a 3 month pass when i bought my new cpu, and the rest of the time i have been paying £7.99 a month.
Sure if you're not subbed to Gamepass you can get some good deals (as you can with all sub services you are not subbed to), but they are no good if you are already a subscriber.

Also Gamepass will never end up on Playstation. Sony is a Japanese company, a proud Japanese company, can you honestly see them allowing 'Xbox Gamepass' onto PS5? ,because i cant, and i doubt Microsoft do either.
In fact with Sony doing their own Gamepass style service, thats the final nail in the coffin.

Never a good thing but I suppose they're at least being more open about their intent and how it's going to affect gamers than recent acquisitions have been. Still not a positive for me though, although we may see small scale gains over the initial few years in terms of certain titles due to all these acquisitions I only see these moves benefiting the companies making the acquisitions rather than me as an end user.
For me the language used in the announcement really reminds me of when Dimps were created by Sony and Bandai Namco from hand picked employees from the likes of SNK and Capcom. Even though they are joint and equal owners Dimps isn't really a company that Sony created to lock into PlayStation. I know that people often seem to forget that Sony have equal ownersbip of Dimps The same for Safari Games too I suppose as they're now a subsidiary of Dimps.

kingfey

Banned
I love iit when people say stuff like this. I have been subbed to PC Gamepass since May 2020. I got the first month for £1, got a 3 month pass when i bought my new cpu, and the rest of the time i have been paying £7.99 a month.
Sure if you're not subbed to Gamepass you can get some good deals (as you can with all sub services you are not subbed to), but they are no good if you are already a subscriber.

Also Gamepass will never end up on Playstation. Sony is a Japanese company, a proud Japanese company, can you honestly see them allowing 'Xbox Gamepass' onto PS5? ,because i cant, and i doubt Microsoft do either.
In fact with Sony doing their own Gamepass style service, thats the final nail in the coffin.
It depends on your taste. I am gamepass sub for a long time.

I use it test games. If I depend on my taste, gamepass would be useless to me. Since my taste is full PC experience.

I also bought Xbox because of gamepass. It was either that, or nintendo switch. 1 year later, I bought nintendo switch, since gamepass saved me alot of money.

kingfey

Banned
Never a good thing but I suppose they're at least being more open about their intent and how it's going to affect gamers than recent acquisitions have been. Still not a positive for me though, although we may see small scale gains over the initial few years in terms of certain titles due to all these acquisitions I only see these moves benefiting the companies making the acquisitions rather than me as an end user.
For me the language used in the announcement really reminds me of when Dimps were created by Sony and Bandai Namco from hand picked employees from the likes of SNK and Capcom. Even though they are joint and equal owners Dimps isn't really a company that Sony created to lock into PlayStation. I know that people often seem to forget that Sony have equal ownersbip of Dimps The same for Safari Games too I suppose as they're now a subsidiary of Dimps.
You should be happy. This would force Sony to make FPS game. Its being long time, since Sony made FPS game.

With COD, Battlefield (Gamepass), Halo being in the same box, its hard to enjoy new FPS experience.

I would like Sony direction with FPS gameplay. Like Last of us 2 atmosphere, with Halo 1-3 combat.

EDMIX

I think its more about accepting reality. PC has been digital for years, and this is 100% the last console gen with a disk drive as by the end of the gen digital purchases will probably be in the 95%+ range (hell Xbox is nearly there already with its 90% Vanguard sales being digital).

Yet notice that was only with XB that you saw that 90% digital from that IP though, its also a MP title that many hardcore COD fans want on their HDD.

So I don't buy that this is the last generation with a disk drive. We haven't even fucking seen the full onslaught of FULL EXCLUSIVES to be saying such nonsense, you are just talking about last gen games.

When most publishers are putting out next gen only titles, 4K, raytracing, lets see how that turns outs. You'll just see the same yo yo effect of people going right back to disk for many purchases, so the fact that you don't really know how this pay out with full 100% next gen only titles, tells me you can't just assume next...NEXT gen ie PS6 would be no disk or something, as if 8K games are smaller or some shit. It would be even more space taken up by then and ISPs are not increasing shit.

So this is too much to assume from some last gen, cross gen games, this early into the generation.

They won't turn down all that potential revenue.

Could be. Sony might have had it written that they wouldn't go thru the deal unless they could have all the potential money they could get, as in they can't agree with 3 Billion, for 1 platform or even 2. ie PC and PS.

Fredrik Fredrik ohhhh yeah! lol Good find. Damn I miss those 1up days, greatest gaming podcast of all time. Till then....we are ghost =(

Last edited:

DJ12

They want it on the devices that has gamepass. MS would very happy to put gamepass on that system.

We know that is impossible, as that would destroy Sony revenue. Their entire 2020 revenue, which was due to lockdown, was $25b. The best year in the gaming industry. Gamepass would destroy their normal revenue,a nd help MS gain free revenue from playstation.

Sony has 46m ps+ user. If those users join gamepass, it would make gamepass numbers hit 71m users. That is free $6.8b to xbox in 1 year.

Sony would not want that option. It is suicide for their system. Their entire game studios depend on those revenue. They wont be able to make big hits, if gamepass keeps eating their revenue.
Firstly Sony take a cut of 30% or whatever it is, which Ms would gladly pay.

Gamepass for PlayStation would definitely be Ms games only, nothing like gamepass for xbox or pc as the third parties would want to be free to negotiate with Sony themselves.

Obviously not everyone would sub anyway.

Gamepass is definitely not going to stop anyone buying ps studio games.

Not sure I follow how this is a loss for Sony.

kingfey

Banned
I'm actually sad at this, I would have rather them buy SE or Take Two 😫
Take2 is impossible for Sony. They would need to sell alot of their shares to buy them. MS or any big boys wont allow Sony to buy it. GTA is a cash cow. Amazon would swoop in, if Sony makes any hint of intent this year.

SE makes alot of sense.

But for me, I would rather Sony to partner with Disney, than buying any other studios. Their IP have alot of values. Imagine star wars and marvel characters being exclusive to Sony devices.

Hunnybun

I wonder if the solution is for MS to just charge more for GP on PlayStation? They could let Sony keep all the additional revenue.

That would:

1. Maintain an advantage for Microsoft's own hardware (they could offer GP at like half the price on their system)

2. Hugely expand their total revenue from the service

3. Significantly cut Sony's losses

Could be a solution?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not totally against it, but imo 3.6bn could be better spent just investing in expanding their current studios and even starting new ones.

That's a fucking shitload of money. They could probably get the equivalent of like 10 big studios off the ground if they just took their time.

But I guess we'll see what happens.
Insomniac Games cost only $230M.

Stuart360

Yet notice that was only with XB that you saw that 90% digital from that IP though, its also a MP title that many hardcore COD fans want on their HDD.

So I don't buy that this is the last generation with a disk drive. We haven't even fucking seen the full onslaught of FULL EXCLUSIVES to be saying such nonsense, you are just talking about last gen games.

When most publishers are putting out next gen only titles, 4K, raytracing, lets see how that turns outs. You'll just see the same yo yo effect of people going right back to disk for many purchases, so the fact that you don't really know how this pay out with full 100% next gen only titles, tells me you can't just assume next...NEXT gen ie PS6 would be no disk or something, as if 8K games are smaller or some shit. It would be even more space taken up by then and ISPs are not increasing shit.

So this is too much to assume from some last gen, cross gen games, this early into the generation.
Well its only my opinion obviously, i cant see the future, but digital has been growing every year, and i said by the end of the gen, so we are talking like another 6 or 7 years, maybe even longer with the shortages.
I'll be very surprised if in another 6 or 7 years digital isnt taking up around 95% of sales.

You should be happy. This would force Sony to make FPS game. Its being long time, since Sony made FPS game.

With COD, Battlefield (Gamepass), Halo being in the same box, its hard to enjoy new FPS experience.

I would like Sony direction with FPS gameplay. Like Last of us 2 atmosphere, with Halo 1-3 combat.
I really shouldn't be happy about this, for any short term gains that there may be for individual games and/or possibly studios, in the long run as a consumer larger acquisitions merely give more control over what and how I play games to fewer companies and reduces the competition. That only benefits the companies.

DJ12

No but I can see them allowing Microsoft gamepass.

By your logic when Sony do there own GaaS they will also remove ea play?

Microsoft asked already so they obviously do think Sony will allow them on the platform.

Pride has nothing to do with it, allowing Ms to sell stuff on their platform is not a shameful act, heck they already do sell stuff on PlayStation.

Another logic fail from someone stuck in the past.

SLB1904

Banned
Gamepass for PlayStation would definitely be Ms games only,
definetely, even on ms ecosystem some games are only availble on console. they would have to pay even more to put on playstation

Found this pretty wierd tbh:

Did Sweeney comment on MS acquisitions?

Sweeney has a deal with sony beyond games. so its not that surprising

Last edited:
Top Bottom