• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Sony is acquiring Bungie for 3.6b

ethomaz

Banned
Quake, but that franchise have been sleeping dormant.

If quake is being revived by MS, it would be big a hit. Ticks exactly all shooter boxes. Quake is much bigger than Halo itself. One of the holy grail of PC shooter game.

but as of now, nothing really. None of the current active Zenimax IPs can match Destiny revenue.
Quake was influential but never a hit like CoD, Destiny, Halo, etc.

On own idSoftware data it sold over 1.4 million units after 1 and half year but they estimated that around 5 million copies of the games were in people hands (piracy).

Doom was a bigger commercial success with 3.5m units sold than Quake.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
except Quake Champions came and died pretty quick. Yeah it had hero shooter aspects which maybe traditionalists wouldn't like, but I have no reason to believe a traditional Quake MP game would live for that long. Audiences have moved on to different things. A Quake reboot in the vein of DOOM would be welcome, but I doubt a MP component would be super popular beyond flavor of the month
Quake in form of warzone/fortnite/destiny can cause big impact in the pc market.

quake has something those games dont have. the style of quake with BR mode would be fresh. Its all in the hands of MS and ID software now. There were some talks of quake reboot by ID, but we dont have alot of info of that.

kingfey

Banned

On own idSoftware data it sold over 1.4 million units after 1 and half year but they estimated that around 5 million copies of the games were in people hands (piracy).
Gaming at that time was small. Now days, PC gaming is different.

The MP mode doesnt suit this generation though. Its either BR or Destiny like mode.

Lognor

Banned

Doom was a bigger commercial success with 3.5m units sold than Quake.
You're comparing quake to much more recent games. Gaming has grown significantly since the last major quake release. Quake would be successful, no question

EDMIX

Where does it say Sony would lose the license? It says MLB pushed for the game to be multi platform.

its implied.

Sony doesn't own Major League Baseball btw....

I think its deeply obvious that a new contract was based on them putting that series on more platforms and either Sony was going to do it, or they were going to find another publisher. So MLB wants to make as much money as they can, thus they want to be on as many platforms.

Sony being a first party publisher likes limited platforms and PC at most years after.

This simply means that its clear 1 wanted something, the other didn't want. I mean dear god, even read the link man "MLB decided to bring the franchise to more players and baseball fans".

Thats like pretending Disney having Star Wars have many deals, is what EA wanted lol

ethomaz ethomaz key word "was" lol I don't doubt how great Quake was back then, but that means nothing now to the new generation of gamers. I'd argue even if it was rebooted and did really well, those that even played it wouldn't even know what the fuck it as before, they'd be like "that new IP QUAKE, look at it copying FORTNITE with SHOOTING STUFF BRUV" (laughs in Tik Tok and financial debt) lol

I believe more then ever, the next big title in that genre will likely be a new IP no one ever heard of. What happened in the past is just not relevant to the extent that many think it is to the market. The Quake days might as well be a life time ago in gaming years lol

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Maybe Sony wants (I quite literally need) to have its own Blockbuster FPS franchise, now that Microsoft owns Activision, COD future is no longer a guarantee, they also have Halo, I think Bungie have the talent and pedigree to make a fantastic shooter for Sony, Destiny is huge, but Sony must grow the studio in size if they want to make new games and support Destiny.

EDMIX

Maybe Sony wants (I quite literally need) to have its own Blockbuster FPS franchise, now that Microsoft owns Activision, COD future is no longer a guarantee, they also have Halo, I think Bungie have the talent and pedigree to make a fantastic shooter for Sony, Destiny is huge, but Sony must grow the studio in size if they want to make new games and support Destiny.

This deal was started 6 months ago.

If anything its factoring the Zenimax deal or even MS ambition to buy 3rd party publishers. The concept of them losing IP that they depended on to fill in gaps might have been enough to push this, but from what was reported, this deal was happening for quite some time before the whole Activision deal

The studio is also massive now since they started Destiny, they are bigger then DICE, no shit.

900+ employees. So Sony would likely grow other studios, I can see Bungie like Sony Santa Monica also acting as a support studio of sorts for tech and helping in other projects based on their size sorta like DICE does.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Okay and if Sony said no? You think the mlb would say okay we tried? Nope
I see lots of what ifs.

What if MLB asked Sony and they negotiated a good deal for Sony to make The Show the official MLB game and Sony said yes?
its implied.

Sony doesn't own Major League Baseball btw....
Nothing is implied.

And no shit Sony doesn’t own MLB. It’s a licensed game. What’s next you’re gonna tell me EA doesn’t own FIFA?

EDMIX

I see lots of what ifs.

What if MLB asked Sony and they negotiated a good deal for Sony to make The Show the official MLB game and Sony said yes?

Nothing is implied.

And no shit Sony doesn’t own MLB. It’s a licensed game. What’s next you’re gonna tell me EA doesn’t own FIFA?

yea not impiled, they literally fucking tell you it was them

"According to PlayStation, the decision to bring MLB The Show 21 to more platforms and Game Pass came straight from MLB.

“As part of the goal for this year’s game, MLB decided to bring the franchise to more players and baseball fans,”

I don't know what to tell you, I don't even know how much more clear that can be.

Added to ignore, when you stop listening to facts, when even the actual fucking company telling you it was their decision isn't enough, you just need to let it go.

Have a good one. =)

bender

What time is it?

"According to PlayStation, the decision to bring MLB The Show 21 to more platforms and Game Pass came straight from MLB.

“As part of the goal for this year’s game, MLB decided to bring the franchise to more players and baseball fans,”

I don't know what to tell you, I don't even know how much more clear that can be.

Added to ignore, when you stop listening to facts, when even the actual fucking company telling you it was their decision isn't enough, you just need to let it go.

Have a good one. =)

I heard Jim demanded that Xbox consoles only get the Switch port this year.

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Did they buy bungy to get into multiplayer solutions? for there tech and experience? because honestly IP's is something they don't have.

Oh shit they have oni license?

Make a full blown next level game from that one.

3OCRNyq.gif
Maybe if they make another one it will be fun this time.

Tripolygon

Banned

Have a good one. =)
Yea the idea of making MLB multiplatform comes from MLB that’s what it says. Bolding those words does not say anything about the negotiation that went on behind the scenes. In your head MLB walks into Sony offices and demands Sony makes The Show multi platform or the license will not be granted. I feel like these are two corporations who have had a profitable relationship for over 20 years can come together to agree on an amicable terms.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Destiny was the biggest let down ever! I'm not sure why Sony have bothered with this!
Capcom or Square would have been more valuable imo.

180 million players....sounds like a solid reason for Sony to bother.

Also who is to say Capcom or Square are not next or something?

Rest Rest "Maybe if they make another one it will be fun this time." lol that would be a crazy remake.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Destiny was the biggest let down ever! I'm not sure why Sony have bothered with this!
Capcom or Square would have been more valuable imo.
Maybe it just not for you, a have a lot of friends that play that game religiously since it came out, I had a blast playing for a while but ended up dropping in favor of other games, but a lot of people only play Destiny, is amazing really that this game have that kind of following.

TheGrat1

NANI?!?!?!?!

Not sure how to feel about this. Halo 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and yet Destiny was the game they has supposedly "wanted" to make for a long time and that always looked like crap to me. I am excited to see what they come up with. Wow, Sony owns bungie. This stuff really comes full circle. Are they an outright subsidiary or can Bungie get out of it like they did with MS and Activision?

The Great Consolidation has begun, brothers and sisters.

EDMIX

Sony should work out a similar deal with SE!
Sony X Square Enix!
Lets go!

Maybe. I can see them doing that for probably FFXIV and the next FF MMO or something as it would make sense, but I think they'll likely just keep it on PC and PS but do a day and date release or something as it is a MMO that would need a massive install base. I recall that they were trying to put FFXIV on XONE, but couldn't or had some issue with XBL or some shit. I don't recall what became of that whole deal.

Because they already move majority units on PS of those JRPG, they might as well save the porting money on those smaller titles and only do the MMO thing that way or something, or Tomb Raider and Deus Ex.

Everyone is bickering about the size or the price of this deal, but the real topic here should be Playstation moving more toward multiplatform and GaaS in the near future. Jim Ryan knows what he's doing.

MonarchJT

Banned
Everyone is bickering about the size or the price of this deal, but the real topic here should be Playstation moving more toward multiplatform and GaaS in the near future. Jim Ryan knows what he's doing.
of course he is. Sony have to release day one on PC and if you wanna know must also build a gamepass rival. ASAP

JLB

Banned
Planetside 2.

They already know how to make a great shooter.
maybe im getting confused, but wasnt planetside deceloped by a division that was dismantled a couple of years ago.
Also: planetside gunplay is not close to destiny by any measure.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony confirmed today that actual price for the acquisition was $2.4b.

1.2b are the planned expensives that will be used as incentives for Bungie employees.

That makes a lot of comments a bit well funny.

So it wasn't $3.6 Billion? I don't get it. How'd we all get the number wrong the entire time?

ethomaz

Banned
So it wasn't $3.6 Billion? I don't get it. How'd we all get the number wrong the entire time?
They don't... Sony first report included the incentive plan costs for the next several years included ($1.2b total... $700-800m in the next 2 years).
They paid around $2.4b for the private Bungie shares.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Cause they included the 1.2 billion incentive plan with it.

2.4 billion is the actual cost to buy Bungie.
Didn't Sony say $3.6B? That $1.2B will be spent due to the acquisition and if Sony is considering it part of the cost of the acquisition I think we should too.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Didn't Sony say $3.6B? That $1.2B will be spent due to the acquisition and if Sony is considering it part of the cost of the acquisition I think we should too.

Yeah, I agree. It's basically money that 100% will be paid out. Just over a few years.

NickFire

Yeah, I agree. It's basically money that 100% will be paid out. Just over a few years.
I also agree. It's 100% part of the acquisition cost. It may not technically count as part of the purchase price, but it is part of the acquisition cost regardless.

I'm kind of shocked we aren't seeing a million puff pieces about this too. Would make a great contrast to all the stories about tech companies forcing crunch, treating employees bad, etc. Sony is straight up putting their money where their mouth is in terms of valuing the people who make games. That's great for employees, and really great for gamers. Brand names don't make great games. Devs make great games.

yurinka

Reading the full transcription of Sony's earnings call, regarding the acquisition they explain why GaaS are so important and why they want to improve learning from Bungie about GaaA/live game services:

"As a longtime partner of Bungie, we have discussed various forms of collaboration with them in the past. Ultimately, we decided to pursue an acquisition because we gained confidence that we could grow even more by combining the corporate cultures of both companies, as well as our strengths in the creative space. Once part of SIE, Bungie will operate as an independent studio and will continue to publish its content on platforms other than PlayStation.

From calendar year 2014 to calendar year 2021, the size of the global game content market doubled, driven by add-on content revenue from live game services which grew at an average annual rate of 15% during this period, we expect this trend to continue going forward.

Bungie has capitalized on this opportunity from an early stage by incorporating live game services into its premier franchise Destiny, and it has accumulated a wealth of experience and superb technology in the space. The strategic significance of this acquisition lies not only in obtaining the highly successful Destiny franchise, as well as major new IP that Bungie is currently developing, but also incorporating into the Sony Group, the expertise and technologies that Bungie has developed in the live games services space.

We intend to utilize these strengths when developing game IP at the PlayStation studios as we expand into the live game services area. Through close collaboration between Bungie and the PlayStation Studios, we aim to launch more than 10 diverse Service Games by the fiscal year ending March 31, 2026."

https://seekingalpha.com/article/44...y-on-q3-2021-results-earnings-call-transcript

I also agree. It's 100% part of the acquisition cost. It may not technically count as part of the purchase price, but it is part of the acquisition cost regardless.

I'm kind of shocked we aren't seeing a million puff pieces about this too. Would make a great contrast to all the stories about tech companies forcing crunch, treating employees bad, etc. Sony is straight up putting their money where their mouth is in terms of valuing the people who make games. That's great for employees, and really great for gamers. Brand names don't make great games. Devs make great games.
Yes, the full cost of the acquisition is $3.6. $2.4 to be paid for the 100% of the shares once the acquisition is closed after all the paperwork and regulatory approvals. And then across a few years or so later, the other $1.2 as retention bonuses.

Last edited:

kyussman

Hold on,I'm seeing a trend here.....Microsoft buy Bethesda and Activision.....Sony buy Insomniac and Bungie.....you need to up your game Jimbo,I realise you are spending a lot less but you are also getting a lot less,lol.

Shmunter

Reading the full transcription of Sony's earnings call, regarding the acquisition they explain why GaaS are so important and why they want to improve learning from Bungie about GaaA/live game services:

"As a longtime partner of Bungie, we have discussed various forms of collaboration with them in the past. Ultimately, we decided to pursue an acquisition because we gained confidence that we could grow even more by combining the corporate cultures of both companies, as well as our strengths in the creative space. Once part of SIE, Bungie will operate as an independent studio and will continue to publish its content on platforms other than PlayStation.

From calendar year 2014 to calendar year 2021, the size of the global game content market doubled, driven by add-on content revenue from live game services which grew at an average annual rate of 15% during this period, we expect this trend to continue going forward.

Bungie has capitalized on this opportunity from an early stage by incorporating live game services into its premier franchise Destiny, and it has accumulated a wealth of experience and superb technology in the space. The strategic significance of this acquisition lies not only in obtaining the highly successful Destiny franchise, as well as major new IP that Bungie is currently developing, but also incorporating into the Sony Group, the expertise and technologies that Bungie has developed in the live games services space.

We intend to utilize these strengths when developing game IP at the PlayStation studios as we expand into the live game services area. Through close collaboration between Bungie and the PlayStation Studios, we aim to launch more than 10 diverse Service Games by the fiscal year ending March 31, 2026."

https://seekingalpha.com/article/44...y-on-q3-2021-results-earnings-call-transcript

Yes, the full cost of the acquisition is $3.6. $2.4 to be paid for the 100% of the shares once the acquisition is closed after all the paperwork and regulatory approvals. And then across a few years or so later, the other $1.2 as retention bonuses.
The 3.6B vs 2.4B is the key that changes the whole equation. Retention bonuses are more common than not in large companies. See any exec packages?

The 1.2B is not even worthy of discussion when talking purchase price..

Last edited:
If they make a destiny movie it better have guardian killing dick wall pistons, random floor spike traps and have two guardians leaping onto the same platform at the same time and they collide and one floats off to their death.

yurinka

The 3.6M vs 2.4M is the key that changes the whole equation. Retention bonuses are more common than not in large companies. See any exec packages?

The 1.2M is not even worthy of discussion when talking purchase price..
From what Sony said, they only mentioned that the total package is 3.6B and it's split into 2.4B for shares/aquisition itself and 1.2B for bonuses/employee retention stuff to be paid later.

The thing is that Sony bought all the shares, and bought them from the Bungie employees. I assume that as always happens in this cases, the execs would had a huge % of these shares. Typically there are retention bonuses, even outside adquisitions, but in this particular case many Bungie employees may have earned a ton of money, so I assume it was more important to include important retention bonuses to incentivate them to stay instead of taking the money and run away to retire or to create their own studio.

Bungie also said they are working on multiple new IPs (they have over 900 devs) and expect to release AT LEAST one before 2025 (so there is at least another one that may be released in 2024 or 2025). So pretty likely part of these 1.2B retention bonuses depend on the performance of these new IPs during their launch window, or the overall performance of Bungie during maybe the first 3 years or so after the acquisition is closed.

Last edited:
Hold on,I'm seeing a trend here.....Microsoft buy Bethesda and Activision.....Sony buy Insomniac and Bungie.....you need to up your game Jimbo,I realise you are spending a lot less but you are also getting a lot less,lol.

I believe they are getting a lot out of Insomniac to be fair. It’s not just what spend but what you get out of an investment.

GermanZepp

An Arab investment group buys shares of Capcom and Nexon
It is a minority investment, but it shows that the market continues to move on the rumors of new acquisitions.

This group has invested more than 1,000 million dollars in the creators of Resident Evil, Street Fighter or Monster Hunter and in the South Korean developer specializing in online games. They are small investments -although it has not been revealed how much there is in each company-, just over 5%, and therefore this group will not have control of Capcom or Nexon.

It is yet another investment by Saudi Arabian companies that in recent years have opted for esports and video game companies. In December 2020, the fund acquired more than 3 billion shares in Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts and Take-Two, for which they will make a profit from the purchase of Microsoft from Activision Blizzard - they will be paid at 95 dollars compared to 79-91 dollars that the shares had in December 2020-. It is allegedly part of Prince Mohammed bin Salman's strategy to make the Saudi economy less dependent on oil. SNK also received an investment from the group.

sauce

Last edited:
Top Bottom