• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakthrough battery to start fabrication this year

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
CATL, the largest manufacturer in the world of batteries for automotive use has recently announced a breakthrough in battery technology. They call them "condensed batteries" and have about double the energy density of cutting edge lithium batteries. These new batteries have a capacity of 500 Wh/kg. The company has also announced they will enter fabrication this year.

Normally I would take any announcement of breakthrough batteries with a salt grain the size of Texas, but coming from the largest manufacturer of batteries for cars well, thought maybe it was worth posting. It's interesting for a lot of applications, but for cars in particular this means either the same ranges we have today and half the battery weight (huge,, since they weight between 1000 to 1500 pounds on average) or we'll soon get ev cars with ludicrous ranges approaching 1000 miles.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Curious what other implications there could be here…EVs take an ocean of water to put out when involved in an accident, would these take more? Are the chemicals used to make them more/less abundant? Same amounts? The stored energy per kg thing is hugely important of course, but how much it matters for broad applications could be dependent on a lot of other factors

Remember it takes quite a while to bring new battery tech from the lab to the market. When the new sodium chemistry comes online commercially it will be a revolution that will make grid-level batteries and renewables financially viable.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
RIP everyone that already bought their EV.
One of the reasons why I haven't bought an EV yet. Because I guarantee you, if I had taken the plunge now, then the next day solid state batteries will be released, along with graphene super-capacitors and all that good shit.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

There you go.
Interesting. Battery energy density improvement will eventually allow for electric commercial aircraft, as they point out, as well as lighter, cheaper, and longer range EVs. Hopefully they can deliver on their promises.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
up to 500Wh/kg ( in a lab environment), what are the thermal limits, charging speeds, performance in cold conditions etc. sadly they did not give much info. There is always pro/cons to different chemistry. If it was indeed that good at everything they would scream it from their rooftops showing numbers.

Trilobit

How many years will they last? How are they dealt with once they are used up? How much foreign child slave labour will they require in production?

Each time I read about magical new technologies I'm reminded of the "Yes, But" comics.

Yes-But-A-Series-Of-Sarcastic-Comics-Anton-Gudim-25-New-Pics-62da45cbba30d__880.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
One of the reasons why I haven't bought an EV yet. Because I guarantee you, if I had taken the plunge now, then the next day solid state batteries will be released, along with graphene super-capacitors and all that good shit.
Damn, if you can prove this will happen then I'll buy you an EV just so I can get that sweet sweet battery tech :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
How many years will they last? How are they dealt with once they are used up? How much foreign child slave labour will they require in production?

Each time I read about magical new technologies I'm reminded of the "Yes, But" comics.
Yeah, just look at who owns the mining rights for the elements needed for this battery powered future and you can see the writing on the wall for the next global shift/conflict.

I'll stick to fracking, thank you very much and hope for a battery recycling future to keep my phone going :p

Top Bottom