• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brothers band together against Kerry - by Ann Coulter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
I will name 2 roles that arecommon for black actors in movies that aren't stereotypical:

1.Mentor (Morpheus, various Sam Jackson and Morgan Freeman movies)
2.Law Enforcement (I Robot, Training Day)

Laurence Fishburne was excellent as Morpheus (well, at least in the first film). Haven't seen I Robot.

But they're not predominantly black, you say? No, but the point is, there are roles for black actors that come to mind before crack dealer. *the rest isn't worth responding to*

ROFL, you're still not getting the point. Crack dealers, IN THE GHETTO, in REAL LIFE, are black 99% of the time. That's a fact son. Deal with it.

If a director was trying to portray (I'm going to make this as clear as I can, since you're obviously too dense to pick it up any other way) A REAL LIFE SITUATION, WITHIN TODAY'S SOCIAL CLIMATE, then yes, if the role was for a rapper, or a crack dealer IN THE GHETTO (incidentally, I lived in the ghetto for 7 years, and let me assure you, I was the only white boy for miles), then wanting a black actor, and not a white one, would be more than understandable.

LOL, This is grand attempt at proving me to be the next Hitler is really making me laugh. If it's all you have to say though, I'll just put you on iggy, since you're proving yourself to be a moron.

And apparently also, according to you, forest ranger. That's obviously next on your list of stereotypically white roles, right?

*GASP* Oh no, you've found me out!! Whatever will I do!? Have mercy on me Captain Sharpton!! You're muntant powers for sniffing out racism are just too great for me *quakes in fear*

I still don't think Coulter is a racist. She's just really obnoxiously stupid sometimes, and people who hate her, will automatically use certain statements she says to enforce that hate, while at the same time having absolutely no problem with some of the really vile and outlandish things said by the likes of Frankin and Moore (which, of course, is expected)

Yes Promised One. Call me names. That will not do much to address the points I raised, but it's easier than actually thinking about your stereotypical ideas. Several other people are trying to point out how racist you're being, but you are making your argument more and more specific. YOU'RE the one that brought up crack dealer as a role in a movie for a black person, because that's what life is like. That does tell me a lot about you, whether you like it or not. That's the first thing that popped in your head? You think Coulter isn't racist (or at least pandering to them as another poster said)? You think a black person couldn't convincingly play a forest ranger. You are being very ignorant and insensitive to minorities. You are. Really. You are entitled to your opinion. That doesn't stop it from being a stereotypical, ignorant opinion.

Address my point please. Aside from stereotypical roles in movies like crack dealers and rednecks, why can't a black person or a white person play any role, including a forest ranger?

"If a director was trying to portray (I'm going to make this as clear as I can, since you're obviously too dense to pick it up any other way) A REAL LIFE SITUATION, WITHIN TODAY'S SOCIAL CLIMATE, then yes, if the role was for a rapper, or a crack dealer IN THE GHETTO (incidentally, I lived in the ghetto for 7 years, and let me assure you, I was the only white boy for miles), then wanting a black actor, and not a white one, would be more than understandable."

And how the heck is this a defense of Coulter saying Halle Berry couldn't play a forest ranger? A forest ranger falls into a real life situation in today's social climate?

firex

I think IronKnuckle* is lying about living in the ghetto for 7 years. If he isn't, however, I would imagine that he was made fun of by some of the rougher kids, and that's what leads to him hating, and stereotyping all black people like he has done.

I wrote up a big part trying to explain why IronKnuckle's remarks would be considered stereotypical, but quite frankly I don't know how to make it succint enough and I'm no Loki; so I'd rather spare people the lengthy read and lack of eloquence so common in my posts. I guess the point I'm going to make about IronKnuckle's stereotypical comments is this: How many black drug dealers and rappers do you know, man? What percentage of black people do you think are rappers or crack dealers? Do you think those two roles define black people more than any other roles? If not, what roles do you think define black people, in your eyes?

*I am going to continue to refer to "The Promised One" as IronKnuckle until an outside source proves otherwise; I just find the similarities between the two too similar to ignore.

brooklyngooner said:
Wow what a clever thing this is, who did it for you, all of your black friends?

No, it was your mom.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Yes Promised One. Call me names.

That's what I do when people are being stupid.

That will not do much to address the points I raised, but it's easier than actually thinking about your stereotypical ideas. Several other people are trying to point out how racist you're being, but you are making your argument more and more specific.

Sorry, but that's just plain bullshit. I'm made my point just as specific when I made the initil statement. Here, I'll quote myself....

"There's a big fat difference between not thinking someone is right for a particular role racially because they don't really fit the part, and not hiring someone because you happened to just not like people of that race. If I were an actor, and I tried out for a role that in real life is traditionally a black man (like say, a rapper, or a Crack Dealer in the ghetto), I wouldn't consider it racist if I didn't get the part because I'm white. Apples and Oranges.

YOU'RE the one that brought up crack dealer as a role in a movie for a black person, because that's what life is like.

Wait...what did you just say? In real life crack dealers are usually black? You're a racist!!!

That does tell me a lot about you, whether you like it or not. That's the first thing that popped in your head?

Whoop-de-shite!!! Actually, rapper was the first thing that popped into my head, and member of the black pathers was second, but I didn't use that since I wasn't exactly sure how active that group is in today's society.

You think Coulter isn't racist (or at least pandering to them as another poster said)? You think a black person couldn't convincingly play a forest ranger.

ROFL!! WRONG! Try again! What I said was that if a director was looking to make a movie based on todays social reality, then I could understand the wanting of a white park ranger. What I DID NOT say though, was that a black person could never conviningly, or concievably, play a forest ranger.

I personally would have no problem with a black forest ranger in a movie, as long as it was well acted.

In the movie Switchback. Danny Glover (a black man) played a role that is traditionally a white man in real life. A Serial Killer. And you know what, I didn't give a rats ass since he played the role very VERY well.

Keep trying to put words in my mouth, it's funny.

You are being very ignorant and insensitive to minorities. You are. Really. You are entitled to your opinion. That doesn't stop it from being a stereotypical, ignorant opinion.

And you're just being plain ignorant and stupid. Not to mention you're treating "minorities" as if they're children who are too stupid to think for themselves.

Address my point please.

How about you answer my question first. Tit for tat.

Aside from stereotypical roles in movies like crack dealers and rednecks, why can't a black person or a white person play any role, including a forest ranger?

Hey wait!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? GET YOUR HAND OUT OF MY MOUTH!! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!!?? WHAT'S THAT IN YOUR HAND!?? WAIT....OMG....THOSE ARE.....WORDS!!! YOU'RE TRYING TO PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!! YOU BASTARD!!!

And how the heck is this a defense of Coulter saying Halle Berry couldn't play a forest ranger? A forest ranger falls into a real life situation in today's social climate?

Seriously, you must be intentionally not paying attention, or you're just too stupid to talk to. I'm done with you now.

Feel free to make any "that's right, run away you racist!!" statements. Have a nice life. ;)

Azih

The Promised One said:
Because that is why I used the roles I did, because of their predominance. That was my point. It's pretty obvious if you'd actually read what I said, instead of just scannning it for a way to refute it somehow. Which btw, you did very weakly.

Dude, I know that was why you used the roles you did, I'm just saying that there's no point to that standard. To Ann Coulter, a black person playing a forest ranger is as believeable as Arnie as a ballerina (which are HER words, and words that I find VERY racist). very predominantly didn't come into the discussion until you brought it up and I'm standing here saying it has no relevance to the discussion vis a vis whether or not Coulter is racist and THAT is why I was questioning why you even came up with the irrelevant standard?

firex said:
I think (I'm pathetically obsessed with someone I don't know in real life)* is lying about living in the ghetto for 7 years.

And I think you're a tool, so we have something in common in that we both have opinions about each other. Now isn't that nice? :)

If he isn't, however, I would imagine that he was made fun of by some of the rougher kids, and that's what leads to him hating, and stereotyping all black people like he has done.

While I will admit that I was very slightly racist for a few years when I was in my teens, but that had to do with the fact that the vast majority of the blacks I had contact with acted like the group that Chris Rock called "nigga's" in his Bring the Pain comedy special (if you haven't heard it, I suggest you listen to it. It's hilarious.) Heck, even the black friends I had then agreed with my complaints. Why? Because they were young and impressionable just like me, and they saw the same things I did, and didn't like it. But, we all got older and wiser, and eventually realized that morons abound in every race.

If not, what roles do you think define black people, in your eyes?

Right now, in today's society, if you're speaking of roles that are predominately black, then mostly sports like basketball and football, and hip-pop music.

But if you mean more general roles that are basically shared by all races equally, well, that would be a pretty darn long list. Which, is a good thing.

*I am going to continue to refer to "The Promised One" as IronKnuckle until an outside source proves otherwise; I just find the similarities between the two too similar to ignore.

Um..ok, and I'm going to ignore you, since you're an idiot. You must really have no life at all.

Azih said:
Dude, I know that was why you used the roles you did, I'm just saying that there's no point to that standard. To Ann Coulter, a black person playing a forest ranger is as believeable as Arnie as a ballerina (which are HER words, and words that I find VERY racist). very predominantly didn't come into the discussion until you brought it up and I'm standing here saying it has no relevance to the discussion vis a vis whether or not Coulter is racist and THAT is why I was questioning why you even came up with the irrelevant standard?

Here, let me introduce you to my friend Sarcasm. Apparently, you two have never met before.

"There's a big fat difference between not thinking someone is right for a particular role racially because they don't really fit the part, and not hiring someone because you happened to just not like people of that race. If I were an actor, and I tried out for a role that in real life is traditionally a black man (like say, a rapper, or a Crack Dealer in the ghetto), I wouldn't consider it racist if I didn't get the part because I'm white. Apples and Oranges."

But problem is, a racist can cover up their actions by claiming "I like black people, but the actor didn't fit the part". It's an easy excuse. If you think a black person could play a forest ranger, then it would be racist to turn someone away solely for being black, right? If you are so convinced that rappers and drug dealers are 99% black, why would you be trying out for the part anyway?:)

"Whoop-de-shite!!! Actually, rapper was the first thing that popped into my head, and member of the black pathers was second, but I didn't use that since I wasn't exactly sure how active that group is in today's society."

You think of rappers, Black Panthers, and Crack dealers when you think of roles for black people? You don't see how that could be offensive to anyone?

"ROFL!! WRONG! Try again! What I said was that if a director was looking to make a movie based on todays social reality, then I could understand the wanting of a white park ranger. What I DID NOT say though, was that a black person could never conviningly, or concievably, play a forest ranger.

I personally would have no problem with a black forest ranger in a movie, as long as it was well acted.

In the movie Switchback. Danny Glover (a black man) played a role that is traditionally a white man in real life. A Serial Killer. And you know what, I didn't give a rats ass since he played the role very VERY well.

Keep trying to put words in my mouth, it's funny."

Why are you so concious about what roles in life are traditionally black or traditionally white? Who looks at a black serial killer and thinks "wow, this black actor is so convincing, I don't care that most serial killers are white"?

"And you're just being plain ignorant and stupid. Not to mention you're treating "minorities" as if they're children who are too stupid to think for themselves."

How is calling you on your racist ideas treating minorities like children? Just because I'm white doesn't mean I'm not disgusted by ignorant comments.

Listen man, I'm not trying to put you down or anything. There's no need for name calling. We're discussing ideas here. I'm just suggesting you examine the things you've said in this thread and how they might offend people.

^^^

Have you heard of the quote button? Sheesh man.

I say a lot of things that people might find, and do find offensive, no matter what race they are. I stopped living my life by what people think of me a LOOOOOOOOOONNG time ago. I'm much happier this way.

Now, if someone is offended when I honestly wasn't trying to be, well, 99% of the time, that's due to their own ignorance, and therefore, their problem. For the other 1%, I appologize.

I will admit that it's possibe that I'm wrong, but to be honest, I just don't see it, since I know myself a hell-of-a-lot better than you do.

Azih

Here, let me introduce you to my friend Sarcasm. Apparently, you two have never met before.
What the heck does Sarcasm have to do with your challenge of naming two very predominantly black roles.

And I repeat the original question. What does the challenge of naming two very predominantly black roles have to do with Ann Coulter's view that a black person is not believable in the role of forest ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom