• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie announces Latin/a/e/o/x @ Bungie, gets ratio'd to high heaven by actual latinos, attempts to silence detractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Zelda-

Banned
It's hard enough as a white person trying to keep up with the rainbow/letter brigade that exists today, so I can't imagine on top of that being a person of color from a different culture that has to deal with that and also everything else these "woke" people come up with. God, I hate politics or whatever this stuff is.

Shifty1897

West coast liberalism is a weird tribal disease. I live in Portland and everyone talks like this, and every white person thinks they are being inclusive, even when they are just trying to force their silly way of thinking on others. I recently wore a Chinese style shirt to work because it was the Chinese mid-autumn festival and you are supposed to wear certain colors. In our daily standup meeting a co-worker (white woman of course) said that I was appropriating Chinese culture and that I should be ashamed. I told her it was a gift from my Chinese parents-in-law and that our whole family was wearing similar celebratory style clothes for the first day of the Mid-autumn festival. It's so ridiculous how uneducated virtue signalling ideas can spread among people who are so small minded.

Haha, Now I'm just ranting.....
I moved out of Portland in July. Haven't seen a drug zombie or homeless camp since.

The only people likely to comment are the ones to complain so it doesn’t say much about their opinion on the matter other than ones who are locked into the culture war care while the vast majority do not.

Crayon

The premise of this idiocy reminds me of the comparisons that Reera made between black people and orcs. I never heard this in my entire life until someone "explained" me and I was "isn't calling black people brutish, primitive and angry just like orcs ultra racist?"

YES.

717J1wXGqAL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

DrFigs

All the Romance Languages are explicitly gendered: Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, etc. These are the languages directly descended from Latin, and therefore from the Roman Empire.

Greek is a unique European language, descended all the way from Ancient Greece. It is explicitly gendered.

All Germanic Languages including Modern German are gendered, but Modern English is not despite English being a Germanic language.

All Slavic Languages are explicitly gendered: Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Serbo-Croatian, etc.

What I'm saying is English is the odd man out here. Every other European language is explicitly gendered. The woke white American liberals are literally paddling upstream against the Amazon river here if they think they are going to get Europe to submit to their cultural imperialism.

They should go try and hang out with the Asian language groups if they are searching for non-gendered languages but they won't find much love or attention there either because Asian cultures and nations are super conservative. Most Asian countries don't even acknowledge gay marriage LMAO
imperialism is definitely the way to put it. ironically. america first is another ironic way to put it. just a weird a mentality in general.

Last edited:

DrFigs

The premise of this idiocy reminds me of the comparisons that Reera made between black people and orcs. I never heard this in my entire life until someone "explained" me and I was "isn't calling black people brutish, primitive and angry just like orcs ultra racist?"
idk. i remember a specific thread like this which was ridiculous w/ people calling world of warcraft racist. but this is actually sometimes a thing. like that Will Smith movie blight where the orcs are an allegory for black people, except the orcs are like disgusting horrific creatures people in that movie should be afraid of and it's like oh... someone didn't think this through.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's hard enough as a white person trying to keep up with the rainbow/letter brigade that exists today, so I can't imagine on top of that being a person of color from a different culture that has to deal with that and also everything else these "woke" people come up with. God, I hate politics or whatever this stuff is.
And it’s amazing how some companies have so much woke brigade to begin with. I can understand HR dept doing it because they got nothing else to do, and the PR dept doing it for brownie pts among the masses on social media, but for all the other people hired to do a job, nowhere will it say spend your time at work doing woke stuff.

And some companies wonder why employees are so time crunched. Maybe ease up on non essential stuff like politics and focus on making the product or service they are trying to sell and things will go smoother. they’ll earn more sales so they don’t have to shut down studios or lay off people.

The easiest way to get sales is to focus on fundamentals. Like the old ass business classes any business students take. The classic 4 Ps of marketing hold true even now. Price, product, place, promotion.

They don’t teach Politics and Pandering as 5th or 6th Ps of marketing 101.

Last edited:

marjo

My grandfather is a more traditional liberal and learned different languages and instilled in me respect for other cultures. It’s crazy to me how now far-lefties want to tell other cultures how their language works; it’s very egotistical and disrespectful. I haven’t talked to him about this phenomenon but I imagine he probably finds it repulsive.

But we can’t even speak our own language correctly anymore. I watched a bunch of street fighter 6 tournaments when it launched. At every event one or both of the commentators would refer to every player as “they.” None of the players were transgender and were all clearly men, but no they have to talk like retards because that’s the “progressive” standard being pushed now.

I hate how these so-called progressive Social Justice Warriors have been lumped in with 'liberals'. As a liberal, I can say with certainty that a lot of us despise this PC bullshit, and feel it completely goes against what we stand for.

Pimpbaa

Give em hell Latinos and Latinas. Hope all people woke culture tries to ”protect” tells people like this to fuck off eventually.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I hate how these so-called progressive Social Justice Warriors have been lumped in with 'liberals'. As a liberal, I can say with certainty that a lot of us despise this PC bullshit, and feel it completely goes against what we stand for.
Too late because the woke crowd is liberal. And just like every person in LBGT don’t have the same views, unfortunately for you and moderate libs you guys are sucked into the blanket terms. And they do that because there’s strength in numbers. So you get lumped in with them.

Their power gets less and less if they try to promote their views as”were ultra niche left group with 1% hardcore views”. Nobody will care. But be labeled as part of the liberal umbrella and they are 50% of the population which sounds much better.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

It's super great, the gradual evolution of language. Equality is pretty black and white as far as original meaning. Everyone gets the same. Funny thing is, "back in the day," this was typically read with a positive, sunny forecast. It was stated with the express ideological notion that it's gonna get better for everyone. In 2023, it's meaning has shifted to "make everything shitty for everyone, white people and Auto Zone employees get a second turn,"

And I was aghast when they added "ain't," to the dictionary. To steal the Devil's thesaurus for a moment, MY SWEET SUMMER CHILD, if only I knew.

marjo

Too late because the woke crowd is liberal. And just like every person in LBGT don’t have the same views, unfortunately for you and moderate libs you guys are sucked into the blanket terms. And they do that because there’s strength in numbers. So you get lumped in with them.

Their power gets less and less if they try to promote their views as”were ultra niche left group with 1% hardcore views”. Nobody will care. But be labeled as part of the liberal umbrella and they are 50% of the population which sounds much better.

But their views are the antithesis of liberal ideology. True classical liberalism espouse freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the importance of reason. These idiots are more like a mirror image of the taliban in their absolute beliefs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But their views are the antithesis of liberal ideology. True classical liberalism espouse freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the importance of reason. These idiots are more like a mirror image of the taliban in their absolute beliefs.
Yup. Just like KKK will claim they are conservative but no sensible right winger wears hoods and parades down streets carrying torches spewing hate speeches.

Unfortunately social media and the net allow any moron from all angles a free way to voice their views. And corporate pandering has been on fire the past 10 years. It wasn’t like this when all the big social media sites got up and running in the 2000s.

Someone will say hey it’s just freedom speech so let them. To me, that’s fine up to a point. It’s gets to a point of stupidity.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Let non-binary people decide for themselves the words they describe themselves. Gendered languages may be a relic, but language has to adapt and evolve to new ideas on its own terms.

Unknown?

Some people might be shocked to learn that languages change over time. The boomers crying about this today will be laughed at within 100 years. At least they’ll be long gone so won’t have to deal with the ridicule. I mean these languages are all Latin based, they’re already derivatives that are spoken today because some weirdos wanted to change things
You don't know what you're talking about. Languages change but naturally. Go read 1984 or the communist manifesto to see the goal of this.

theclaw135

Banned
Yup. Just like KKK will claim they are conservative but no sensible right winger wears hoods and parades down streets carrying torches spewing hate speeches.

Unfortunately social media and the net allow any moron from all angles a free way to voice their views. And corporate pandering has been on fire the past 10 years. It wasn’t like this when all the big social media sites got up and running in the 2000s.

Someone will say hey it’s just freedom speech so let them. To me, that’s fine up to a point. It’s gets to a point of stupidity.

I'm grateful I have the free speech to tell the right to shove it. If I'm going to be a decried as a "woke liberal lefty", it's an honor to be hated.

You don't know what you're talking about. Languages change but naturally. Go read 1984 or the communist manifesto to see the goal of this.
Those political pieces of work were created within the last 100 years, even ideas in that work will be perceived differently in the not long future (even currently).

Almost all of modern society is trying to make things easier as time goes on. With this LGBTQRXYZ+-%... it just gets more complex and convoluted as time goes on. I can imagine the year 2300 and LGBT+ is basically every fucking symbol on your keyboard. Every one.

ByWatterson

I don't think social media managers have figured out that even regular left people have long since moved on from this rotten soup of language regulation.

No one ever actually cared, and now basically no one is even pretending to care.

Zuzu

Shat the fuck is a Latinx?

Maybe not the best source but here's a quote from an article on the Oprah Daily website that explains it:

'The word "Latinx" originated in the mid-2000s "in activist circles primarily in the U.S. as an expansion of earlier gender-inclusive variations such as Latino/a (with the slash) and Latin@ (with the “at” sign)," says Joseph M. Pierce, an assistant professor in the Department of Hispanic Languages and Literature at Stony Brook University. "The 'x' does not imply a specific gender—as would the 'o' (masculine) or the 'a' (feminine) for nouns in Spanish—and is meant to disrupt the grammatical binary that is inherent in this romance language."

However, the history of using "x" is lengthier, says David Bowles, a writer, translator, and professor at the University of Texas Río Grande Valley in Edinburg, Texas, who is currently working on a book 0n the word Latinx. "Radical feminists in the '90s—and perhaps as early as the '70s—would literally "x" out the "o" at the end of words that were meant to exclude women and non-binary folk all together."

The word "Latinx" is ultimately a "non-gendered, non-binary, inclusive way of pushing back against the default masculine in Spanish," adds Bowles.'

Source: What Does "Latinx" Mean, Exactly?

The increase in the use of the word is probably due to the increasing proliferation of the progressive moral and political value systems and beliefs that have been adopted across mainstream Western society the last few decades.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

lol, thinking that attaching a kite tail of random letters to words is going to stick and be here in 100 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom