• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie announces Latin/a/e/o/x @ Bungie, gets ratio'd to high heaven by actual latinos, attempts to silence detractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hip Hop

I think it's deliberate. If we're all fighting over trivialities like these we won't realize how much we have in common: like how hard we're all getting fucked by the handful in charge.
Yup,

if we are divided we can never work together.

I really think this is just all things originating from babylon,
and if you know the origins of that, then you know why we have to be divided, so we don't work together. All by design.

Bungie and Sony will just hide behind the "People who disagree are just bigots" concept that social media has popularized. Easy enough to dismiss any criticism as referring to them as bigots.

Sony usually doesn't participate in this idiocy, tbh.

They're pretty woke, but not to this extent.

They learned their lesson with the Jimbo cat tweet. You can never be woke enough for the wokesters. The harder you push in that direction the more the radical leftist ideologues will try to eat your face.

Best to just stick to making games and entertainment, instead of trying to make shitty virtue-signalling political statements; and inevitably end up as the next week's milkshake duck because you pissed on a female classmate back in high school.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Big budget + big team + woke ideology = guaranteed their next game will be some safe, corporate approved, bland, forgettable turd. These people have no clue what made their classic games good and no clue how to create something original and compelling.

Rambotito

wait until yox meet Americxns whx deletx everx last vowel to sound progressivx
Bienvenid@s a todxs mis amigxs!
The only one who does that at my work is some liberal idixt who went to an American university

Being Latin/a/e/o/x is more than just a location on a map,
Yeah, including all of those unecessary letters means you have a mental disorder

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People overreact to the stupidest shit. The point of the messaging is to include anyone of Latin decent, and there are some who are into the whole Latinx thing.. like probably the employees at Bungie who created this. Just because most don't doesn't make those people any more or less "real."

bender

What time is it?
futurama-bender.gif

Tedditalk

Don't understand why so many people that are not Latino are focusing on Latino culture, both the left and the right. The same people who denouncing using Latinx will also jump at the chance to deport them, criticize their culture, or advocate them being harassed by the state. Just worthless virtue signaling. Anyway, bungie doing this for money and I doubt they get far.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
More ESG funding.
Also depending on the government and project, government funding and bid qualifying.

Some governments require specific diversity/quota/ratios in order to qualify for bids. I dont see how that can relate to gaming, but you never know. When a game maker scrounges around for a location and government subsidies, it might be part of the equation. The more forced diversity the better chance of getting funding.

NikuNashi

Don't understand why so many people that are not Latino are focusing on Latino culture, both the left and the right. The same people who denouncing using Latinx will also jump at the chance to deport them, criticize their culture, or advocate them being harassed by the state. Just worthless virtue signaling. Anyway, bungie doing this for money and I doubt they get far.

Question, are latin people (Spanish and Portuguese decendants) being asked to pay repatriations for the colonising and plundering of south american continent? Are they being told they are privlidged and how terrible they are for what they did to the native population?.

Not seen that recently, only seems to apply to one race.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Exactly. It's always so odd to me that it's usually people that are apparently are all for "inclusivity and diversity", meanwhile they're basically "fighting" for things that no one from that culture even cares about. It's almost always people outside of a culture speaking on behalf of a culture that isn't theirs, lmao. It just makes no sense.

TLZ

Banned
I'm Hispanic and luckily, no one has described me as Latinx...yet. The Spanish language is rooted on the use of masculine and feminine versions of words. The people trying to push this Latinx vocabulary are essentially telling us that our language needs improvement. Fuck them.

Mood Kiki GIF by Kiana Ledé
Like Arabic, the language is all masculine/feminine. We don't have its. Everything is either masculine or feminine. You can't say a sentence without them. So this idiocy doesn't even work, unless we eradicate the whole language.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Exactly. It's always so odd to me that it's usually people that are apparently are all for "inclusivity and diversity", meanwhile they're basically "fighting" for things that no one from that culture even cares about. It's almost always people outside of a culture speaking on behalf of a culture that isn't theirs, lmao. It just makes no sense.
The most prejudice people are the ones who enjoy isolating people into the demographic silos. You see it all the time.

Instead of talking about people as simply human beings in a generic sense, often there's extra description whether it's age, race, gender, height, country of birth etc...

And lets face it folks, it sure seems the people who crave fighting the fight for minority groups of any kind are white people. It's like they are trying police every city so much, they are fighting the fight more than the group they are fighting for even care about themselves. Just relax. Just because you got a community college diploma in arts and history doesn't make you a minority.

Last edited:
I personally don't give a fuck. I don't know why so many people cry about this stuff. It affects me not one bit.

In an era of anti-crunch I'd rather gaming companies/employees focus on actual gaming and leave all the other shit to other walks of life, where it's more appropriate/welcomed/shared etc. This idea of spending corporate time, money and resources on shit that neither minorities nor gamers want can go the way of the Dodo. It sort of does affect you; studio staff wasting time and effort on the corporate dime instead of just, you know, making the games themselves.

What's next, financial equality from Bungie/corporates? A social ranking system based on what games/genres you play? Bungie giving you internal tracking based on your persona and political views? It does and will in the future affect you, whether you choose to have your head in the sand or not.

White liberals literally don't understand they are doing cultural imperialism and Newspeak tier language erasure when they try to force "LatinX" on these people whose Spanish is explicitly gendered like all Romance Languages and has been since the original Latin from which it descends

DrFigs

People overreact to the stupidest shit. The point of the messaging is to include anyone of Latin decent, and there are some who are into the whole Latinx thing.. like probably the employees at Bungie who created this. Just because most don't doesn't make those people any more or less "real."
I'm sure there are some latinos who like the latine/latinx thing, but it would be cooler if they didn't :)

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
In an era of anti-crunch I'd rather gaming companies/employees focus on actual gaming and leave all the other shit to other walks of life, where it's more appropriate/welcomed/shared etc. This idea of spending corporate time, money and resources on shit that neither minorities nor gamers want can go the way of the Dodo. It sort of does affect you; studio staff wasting time and effort on the corporate dime instead of just, you know, making the games themselves.

What's next, financial equality from Bungie/corporates? A social ranking system based on what games/genres you play? Bungie giving you internal tracking based on your persona and political views? It does and will in the future affect you, whether you choose to have your head in the sand or not.

The people who draw the guns and decide how many times you have to replay the same mission to unlock the purple magic socks of eternal lightning aren't working on this, don't worry. Destiny will play exactly as it ever did for you, but some people will be able to change a single letter in a word.

From what I gathered, Spanish is a language that refers to its speakers/residents as Latina or Latino - strictly gendered. This is just the way the language works. Actual spanish speakers call out Bungie, full of "priviledged white men/women/others" who use the west coast vernacular to remove the gendered connotations by referring to them as Latinx/e/z.

Essentially white people trying to virtue signal without understanding history, context, or the language itself and trying to push themselves as the arbiters of moral truth/justice while actual native speakers and folks they are trying to appeal to calling them out on their BS.
All the Romance Languages are explicitly gendered: Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, etc. These are the languages directly descended from Latin, and therefore from the Roman Empire.

Greek is a unique European language, descended all the way from Ancient Greece. It is explicitly gendered.

All Germanic Languages including Modern German are gendered, but Modern English is not despite English being a Germanic language.

All Slavic Languages are explicitly gendered: Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Serbo-Croatian, etc.

What I'm saying is English is the odd man out here. Every other European language is explicitly gendered. The woke white American liberals are literally paddling upstream against the Amazon river here if they think they are going to get Europe to submit to their cultural imperialism.

They should go try and hang out with the Asian language groups if they are searching for non-gendered languages but they won't find much love or attention there either because Asian cultures and nations are super conservative. Most Asian countries don't even acknowledge gay marriage LMAO

The people who draw the guns and decide how many times you have to replay the same mission to unlock the purple magic socks of eternal lightning aren't working on this, don't worry. Destiny will play exactly as it ever did for you, but some people will be able to change a single letter in a word.
Honestly, gaming used to bring all sorts of people, ages, races and genders together. Why did we ever have to bring labels into it? What was wrong with just people coming together and having fun? I stand by my argument those roles are superfluous.

Saber

Gold Member
baño - Ends in O. "Masculine." The girls bathroom is not called "baña".

basura - Ends in A. "Feminine". A man's trash is not called "basuro".

So the masculine/feminine nature of a word is a concept we don't really have in english, and a spanish speaker doesn't neccesarily think of words ending in O or A as being gendered somehow.

"Latino" doesn't leave out females. You can say Latina to specify a woman, but Latino is more of a default. I don't speak enough spanish to be sure of the following nuance, but I believe the word "mankind" is more loaded that "Latino".

So people misundertanding this on such a scale and trying to dick with the language is what's pissing off latino people. It's quite obviously a lot of white people who don't even speak spanish doing it, which of course makes it far more offensive than if it was a real divide within the community.

Its no difference from brazilian portuguese.

Banheiro = bathroom(its a masculine name and used for both genders)
Banheira = bathtub (the addition of A changes the word)

There are words that only exist on feminine and others that are only on masculine(nothing to do with actual genders). Aranha is spider in br portuguese, used for both genders(we add either femea[female] or male[macho] in the name to distiguish).

The premise of this idiocy reminds me of the comparisons that Reera made between black people and orcs. I never heard this in my entire life until someone "explained" me and I was "isn't calling black people brutish, primitive and angry just like orcs ultra racist?"

Gp1

"Hispanic is more than the language we might speak."

Sure, even because more than a third of Latin America speaks exclusively Portuguese.
Your move inclusive latinx/a/e/o/u/i/h Beth.

Some people might be shocked to learn that languages change over time. The boomers crying about this today will be laughed at within 100 years. At least they’ll be long gone so won’t have to deal with the ridicule. I mean these languages are all Latin based, they’re already derivatives that are spoken today because some weirdos wanted to change things

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom