• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie on Destiny's lack of story, the new raid, and Destiny 2

That's all fine and good but please don't market the game with "rich cinematic storytelling" right on the back of the box

"Story" in a nutshell:

"We shipped the game with barely any story at all, but hey, we listen to our players, so if they want better story, we'll add that later after we already have your $60. By the way, did we mention that better story will have to be purchased through expansions? But hey, we listen to our players!"

Omni

'I don't try to decide whether someone's opinion is right or wrong'

Oh

hWRf6Pr.png

Vire

DeeJ always feels so insincere... it really bothers me. Should just keep urk in front of the camera.

TYRiAX

Yeah, the lack of story never really bothered me as much as mission variety... so hopefully they can step that up

exYle

Oh

hWRf6Pr.png

He's publicly apologized for that.

Let’s talk about why this is the worst Tweet I have ever sent in my life:
I am Tweeting at myself, like a crazy person
The issue is not linked for maximum confusion
The genuine article “is” should be “are”
It looks like I’m telling the player they are wrong

Let me get this straight. The player is never “wrong.” I believe that down to my bones. At Bungie, I represent to the developers what you say without prejudice. Lesson learned: Never Tweet when you’re in a hurry.

Sorry about the confusion. What do you say, Internet. Still want to be friends? If so, join me in an exploration of our plans in greater detail.

http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update---12042014/en/News/News?aid=12447

You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment by making community managers out to be more important than they really are. They're nothing more than corporate shills. And especially for a big publisher like Activision, who is known for spending ridiculous amounts of money on marketing... you guys should know this by now.

sportz103

Fuck off, just add optional matchmaking.

People don't have to use it.

Solved.

You're welcome.
And lock the matchmaking requirement to only allow players who are at minimum the level of the raid/weekly/whatever. Otherwise you'll get matched in a group of 28s trying to do the hard VoG and have to back out over and over.

Madness

Does anyone even care about the story? I think beyond the first day, most people I know who played didn't know/care about a single thing. All they've done since is loot grind over and over and over.

Additionally they promised a great PvP experience, and yet it's been really unbalanced and boring, here's hoping for more objective modes, and a better nod to their Halo roots. Who knows though people will probably hype it as the best sequel in the history of gaming in the lead up.

Edit: Here's hoping they find some way to bring in raid matchmaking for those who would want it. I don't understand the resistance. If you have 5-6 friends, cool, keep raiding. But sometimes you just need an extra person, or are alone and you need someone to raid with. Maybe have it unlock after you've completed it on hard mode once etc. Let users decide if they want to match up with strangers or not. At least allow the option. I know they've said it'll never happen, but I'd still want to be hopeful that they'd consider it.

Oh

http://i.imgur.com/hWRf6Pr.png

Don't take things out of context. DeeJ explained this quote:

Facts can be hard to communicate in advance. Opinions are never wrong. Please read and discuss. http://www.bungie.net/7_The-Dark-Below-Preview/en/News/News?aid=12442
https://twitter.com/DeeJ_BNG/status/540248668939374592

Confusion intensified. I rushed to update our blog with some more granular information. When coveted weapons are at stake, misinformation cannot stand (man), hence the hasty typing. Amidst the flurry of activity, to make the morning even better, I delivered this gem to the Internet:

Let’s talk about why this is the worst Tweet I have ever sent in my life:

I am Tweeting at myself, like a crazy person
The issue is not linked for maximum confusion
The genuine article “is” should be “are”
It looks like I’m telling the player they are wrong

Let me get this straight. The player is never “wrong.” I believe that down to my bones. At Bungie, I represent to the developers what you say without prejudice. Lesson learned: Never Tweet when you’re in a hurry.

Sorry about the confusion. What do you say, Internet. Still want to be friends? If so, join me in an exploration of our plans in greater detail.

http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update---12042014/en/News/News?aid=12447

he shut that raid matchmaking the fuck down.

discussing:

vault expansion
glimmer expansion

cmon bungie....less discussing, more coding and implementing.

also....WOW!!! i can bring my guy to Destiny 2!!!

I don't know how anyone can trust them again. Not having played destiny until a month ago I was surprised at how terrible the game is.

Incoherent story

Every mission consists of "go from point a to point b. Scan. Fight. Go to orbit. Repeat"
No variety in gameplay or missions -- where are speeder races? Where are transport missions?

Worlds feel barren.
No native life
Upgrade system is not the best

I could go on. It's just a bad game. I can't imagine people being excited to buy a second one.

How much wasted money for discussion does it take to add more vault space and raise the glimmer cap? Just do it. Since glimmer is account wide and not character wide, it should easily be upped. A faster way to move guns between chars would also be excellent.

Madness

Eh, never mind. I've got great respect for the folks at Bungie. Didn't want the comment to be misconstrued.

What about me Bish?

=3

Clocking in on 700 hour or close to 30 days >_>;

Sometimes I really hate stat systems like that. I look at a game where I've spent hundreds of hours and it makes me feel guilty for not having done something with that time to better myself haha

What I don't understand is why updates take such a long time to implement. In some MMORPGs like Guild Wars 2, you get new things and patches on a weekly basis, while even important bugs in Destiny take months to fix. Simple UI improvements (such as adding descriptors to strike modifiers) take just as long, too.

malfcn

The "heritage" of playing the game when it had numerous problems.

"Well fellow Guardian, in my day we had to wait hours in the snow for a public event.."

Does anyone even care about the story? I think beyond the first day, most people I know who played didn't know/care about a single thing. All they've done since is loot grind over and over and over.

Additionally they promised a great PvP experience, and yet it's been really unbalanced and boring, here's hoping for more objective modes, and a better nod to their Halo roots. Who knows though people will probably hype it as the best sequel in the history of gaming in the lead up.

Edit: Here's hoping they find some way to bring in raid matchmaking for those who would want it. I don't understand the resistance. If you have 6 friends, cool, keep raiding. But sometimes you just need an extra person, or are alone and you need someone to raid with. Maybe have it unlock after you've completed it on hard mode once etc. Let users decide if they want to match up with strangers or not. At least allow the option.

I try not to think about the lack story. Story is one of the main reasons why I play games and it pains me to see that the cake at bungie was taken out of the oven way too early. These days I treat Destiny as a multiplayer only co-op focused game.

I agree having the option to choose matchmaking should have been implemented. Someone on reddit is working on a unofficial version of raid matchmaking

Yeah he explained it an hour and half later after the backlash. As much as I like DeeJ and think he's a good guy, he's been pretty bad as a community manager in comparison to past people. All this whimsical fluff and "look, it's fucking nothing" posts. Just tell people like it is straight.

Yeah, I agree. He seems like a cool person in video but I've always been disappointed in his posts on social media/Reddit/Twitter/etc and I wish he stopped favoring style over substance in his Weekly updates. It makes them tedious to read and all the more frustrating once you realize nothing substantial was actually announced.

Still no news about PC version?

Still no news about the iPad companion app that was scheduled for launch day?

Speaking purely for myself, it wasn't Destiny's lack of story that bothered me so much as it is the sheer, incredible awfulness of the story we did get. No emotional attachment, no remotely interesting characters... you could deliver the plot in a bullet point list and it'd have every bit as much impact as the story we got. Couple that with the promise of some epic adventure, and it's basically turned me off the series entirely.

I can handle a minimalist story just fine, but that's not what we got. Not really.

Hasney

What I don't understand is why updates take such a long time to implement. In some MMORPGs like Guild Wars 2, you get new things and patches on a weekly basis, while even important bugs in Destiny take months to fix. Simple UI improvements (such as adding descriptors to strike modifiers) take just as long, too.

Certtification and paying for those patches means they'll want to bundle the changes up as much as possible.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The game could be so much more

Trust me, I didn't put in close to 700+ hours into this for shits n' giggles

Problem is there is deep combat/mechanics in this game, problem is you have to reach end game to go, "WHY ON EARTH WASN'T THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME LIKE THIS!?"

To me so far the game fills up my time nicely, no game has ripped me away and made me forget Destiny

Bungie did do a good job building a foundation, it's just these cracks keep appearing and trying to plaster them nonchalantly isn't cutting it

You would think this game would get updates out like a mofo to keep it evolving, these monthly+ updates are too fucking long for a community to accept in the long run
Player start to get upset and lose focus on playing your title due to your delays/miscommunication/silence

I put in work to get all 3 of my characters to where they are
I have helped at least 100+ GAFfers through these 3 months and randoms too
Fuck I would solo Nightfall/Weeklies for peoples alts that were 25+ and get them the strange coins/engrams/drops

Game does have a rewarding factor, if you get to the top don't always admire the view, try to always looks down and give a helping hand and get someone else to the top
Wish there was more moment like that in Destiny =/

Top Bottom