• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie on Destiny's lack of story, the new raid, and Destiny 2

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
All I see are low Queen's Wrath stats that will haunt you forever.

Was too busy farming and doing other shit, those Queens bounty were so stupid

I mean when this is your Vault Stockpile:
HKhjiUM.jpg

Queens Wrath ain't holding me down.... YET!

Yeah, reading the deflections in the latest Game Informer was more than I could take.

Continuously reiterating that they're just as frustrated by RNG, economy, etc as the players because they suffer through it while playing it at the office. WTF does that even mean? Who is making this game then? Did they just find it in a cave?

You can only say "We're listening" and "We hate it too" so many times without doing anything. It kills me that this is probably the best playing FPS trapped in such mediocrity.

Drewboy64

The trailer for the DLC was well done and made it seem enticing. But I have lost all faith that Destiny will ever be a game with a gripping and fascinating story, varied gameplay, open world, and any semblance of MMO gameplay. Seriously one of the most disappointing games ever.

I thought for sure there would be a lot more than the Beta, but the final game just felt like an extended Beta. Destiny started feeling like a chore to play after a small amount of time.

It wasn't a bad game by any means, but it was far from what we were promised it would be

KAP151

Would love to see the numbers of people that dropped off within weeks, im guessing it would be pretty high.

The game was ALL sizzle and no steak and I will never be back.

At least I got most of my money back.

Damn. Which class is most worth it in the end?

After playing most of my time with a Titan (I even had three Titans for most of my life as a Guardian) I made a Warlock, levelled her up to 26 and a complete subclass, and it's become my favorite subclass. Quite competent in PvE (auto-revive, grenade spamming) and great trolling potential in PvP (vortex grenade and kamehameha which can easily get you 3 or 4-kill multikills in Control)

The only thing that sucks is the glide jump.

Oh Deej.

"Does X exist in the game?"

Deej: The question isn't whether it exists, it's whether you and I and the amazing community can make the world a better place, such as what X stands for.

Halabane

kind of wonder the hours people are putting in to this game. is it because the game is that addictive or that there is so little else worth playing on ps4 right now? if this was a year or so ago and you had a ps3 and lots of game options would you still be playing it?

I couldn't care less about the story, to be honest. Never paid any attention to it in WoW or Diablo and sunk tons of hours into those games. The problem with this game is all of the other parts that are lackluster

I don't know how anyone can trust them again. Not having played destiny until a month ago I was surprised at how terrible the game is.

Incoherent story

Every mission consists of "go from point a to point b. Scan. Fight. Go to orbit. Repeat"
No variety in gameplay or missions -- where are speeder races? Where are transport missions?

Worlds feel barren.
No native life
Upgrade system is not the best

I could go on. It's just a bad game. I can't imagine people being excited to buy a second one.
Spot on.

I sort of expected a space Skyrim. Can't get over how bad the mission design and leveling up system is though.

GraveRobberX

Damn. Which class is most worth it in the end?

PvE - Warlock, both sub classes shine.
Raid - Depends on the job. Hunters are OP during Atheon and Supplicants with Golden Gun. Titan are workhorses and the catalyst to make the team way better with Ward of Dawn (bubble), Weapons of Light is amazing, when your Ice Breakers is criting 17,000+ damage per shot on Atheon, it's ridiculous, I have done 6 crits in a row and just saw Atheon's Health melt. Warlock are your safety net, Sunsinger subclass is the go to during raid, it's literally a life save for the player and raid team
PvP = Hunter shines here, if you have the right set up, you can pull out roughly 3-4 Supers (Golden Gun) per match, it's insane how agile and speed really do help you out
Titans come in next due to defense + health, Warlocks are no slouches but most Locks get wrecked by their jumping ability, the hovering plays a huge part in your downfall

My Main Warlock, I just enjoy it too much, but PvP it's Hunter, Titan is good on both sides, not great in one bad in the other like the other 2 classes

Someone's willingness to spend time playing a game is not even close to being a measure of how good it is.

Despite being really disappointing, it's still a good game. Though I will say if you're into narrative heavy/focused games or not much of an online person, it's not going to be as enjoyable. Took me a bit of time to get over some things as I fit the former group.

At this point, the amount of time people are still spending on this game do speak for it; it just doesn't for everyone. This isn't like say COD where there's this instant gratification constantly feeding and pushing people along (Not saying COD isn't a good game).

malfcn

Youtuber said:
Here's the Playstation exclusive strike "The Undying Mind" coming in The Dark Below expansion on December 9th. This strike is unrelated to the Crota storyline featured in the coming expansion.
Deej said:
It's a more unified experience..everything that you do in Destiny, in The Dark Below..every bounty, every quest line, every story mission, the strike, the raid, is all focused on that same theme.

I guess the exclusive strike isn't meant to be worth much then.

Speaking purely for myself, it wasn't Destiny's lack of story that bothered me so much as it is the sheer, incredible awfulness of the story we did get. No emotional attachment, no remotely interesting characters....

Here's the thing. Destiny didn't actually have a story...or characters. See this is the amazing. thing. See...this I watched this video in the OP but the thing is...Destiny has no fucking story. It has no fucking characters. I can't remember a game that so soured me on a franchise before. Like, seriously, fuck off. The sad thing is that what Destiny launched with actually qualified as a story for some people. That is how fucking sad game narratives are.

This is the thing. If Destiny was marketed as this you make your own story via emergent gameplay aka Mordor I'd be fine with it. You have fucking words on the back of your box calling this a cinematic, story-rich game. Forget it. Destiny is already traded in. For me, there is no way I actually touch Destiny 2 unless it is like $20. Franchise is dead in the water for me.

rezn0r

PvE - Warlock, both sub classes shine.
Raid - Depends on the job. Hunters are OP during Atheon and Supplicants with Golden Gun. Titan are workhorses and the catalyst to make the team way better with Ward of Dawn (bubble), Weapons of Light is amazing, when your Ice Breakers is criting 17,000+ damage per shot on Atheon, it's ridiculous, I have done 6 crits in a row and just saw Atheon's Health melt. Warlock are your safety net, Sunsinger subclass is the go to during raid, it's literally a life save for the player and raid team
PvP = Hunter shines here, if you have the right set up, you can pull out roughly 3-4 Supers (Golden Gun) per match, it's insane how agile and speed really do help you out
Titans come in next due to defense + health, Warlocks are no slouches but most Locks get wrecked by their jumping ability, the hovering plays a huge part in your downfall

My Main Warlock, I just enjoy it too much, but PvP it's Hunter, Titan is good on both sides, not great in one bad in the other like the other 2 classes

spot on with all of that, I love Warlock the most (I think), but in PvP it just feels like mush compared to the other two

awesome site btw, thanks for the link, pinned next to destinytimers

Zukkoyaki

kind of wonder the hours people are putting in to this game. is it because the game is that addictive or that there is so little else worth playing on ps4 right now? if this was a year or so ago and you had a ps3 and lots of game options would you still be playing it?

By this point, there's a TON to play on all consoles. The thing about Destiny is that it's a genuinely fun game to play. Serious, mechanically it's simply spectacular! Plus, there's something about to grind to get better gear that really, really draws some people in. I have no problem believing that someone is pouring hours and hours into it because it's a legit fun game.

It's everything else about Destiny such as the poor mission design, lack of content, awful story, and seemingly endless list of minor annoyances that hold it back.

Styles

Was too busy farming and doing other shit, those Queens bounty were so stupid

I mean when this is your Vault Stockpile:
HKhjiUM.jpg

Queens Wrath ain't holding me down.... YET!

omg

I only the Hawkmoon, Regime auto-rifle, plan c and a few others from exotic bounties. Zero raid gear. I can't do this. :'(

the thing that soured me about destiny is Bungie not knowing what the fuck they were doing and the lack of content to advance with Bungie's way of getting you to replay being a shitty RNG system. I couldn't deal with that, other games to play

Sojgat

That has more to do with players that don't level up to the minimum level required to raid. Not because there's no matchmaking.

I'd say both things are equally problematic.

The solution to one requires that the game have enough content, and variety to keep more players engaged long enough to reach raid level.

The other just requires an in-game clan management system, and optional matchmaking.

The one in the game now isn't much to be honest either. 3 little enemies given different shields and are incredibly spongy. Most of it in well-worn areas and no standout sections outside the strike boss(es). Just a bland and unnecessary chore. Only redemption is that the concept of 3 bosses that encourage the use of different damage types to tackle is pretty cool and lacking in the game for the most part.

Sadly, that is probably the strike you see the most in the highest level playlist on PS4.

I'm not going to discount the new one entirely though. While the boss is a reskinned Nexus Hydra, the gate portal aspect should make it far more interesting than the Nexus fight.

GraveRobberX

It literally is the last mission you do in the vanilla version, only this time, the map has been mirrored and your running reverse on this strike
They also took the boss from another strike, put some grass/moss/weed and took the shield which was white colored to orange, it was half circle before, now it's split into 1/3rd grouping

If this took them more than 2-3 days to make/complete, I would be flabbergasted
I watched the IGN video showcasing this strike and my head was just like, wait the exclusive strike isn't even trying to be coy, it literally is a cut/paste, oh yeah reverse it so it looks different and given as an "exclusive"

Dust Palace was the same thing, once you do certain missions/strike you see how barren Dust palace really is and players pick up on this shit quickly

I had a good time playing 20+ hours of the game, but it was still not great.

Destiny basically takes the worst part of MMOs (lots of factions, currency, grinding), without having the stuff that makes it worth playing through the MMO bullshit (immersive universe, lots of content, good social interaction systems, etc.)

At least it has good shooting...

'I don't try to decide whether someone's opinion is right or wrong'

Oh

hWRf6Pr.png
Spreading false info is not having a "wrong opinion", it's spreading false info.

Bad wording but what he's saying is that players misunderstood FACTS about the changes to systems and then spread that misinformation.

spot on with all of that, I love Warlock the most (I think), but in PvP it just feels like mush compared to the other two

awesome site btw, thanks for the link, pinned next to destinytimers

I must be doing something wrong, then. I get the best K/D ratio on average with my Warlock, and Hunter comes last (that said, I've only used Bladedancer).

SighFight

That has more to do with players that don't level up to the minimum level required to raid. Not because there's no matchmaking.

Not for me. I have been 27 for some time and only managed to find a group for the raid once. Tried a couple of times but I can't plan ahead most of my gametime so organizing hours ahead is not an option.

Just give the game a pub area where people wanting to play the raid can meet up. Have a board where you can put up open spots in fireteam and have tables with Voice chat enabled so you can check if everyone is going in for similar things.

vypek

I want to jump back into the game but I feel like I'll need to do plenty of grinding in crucible. Has this changed or is there still a ton of grinding? Have the bosses been changed in single player so its not so terrible to play the campaign alone?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
One thing for sure is I aint touching destiny 2.

Damned shame since out of a lot of FPSes this game has some of the goddamned best gunplay mechanics there is.

Just everything else is highly lacking...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
the thing that soured me about destiny is Bungie not knowing what the fuck they were doing and the lack of content to advance with Bungie's way of getting you to replay being a shitty RNG system. I couldn't deal with that, other games to play
It's the worst of MMOs thrown into one game. lol

I think the one reason I'm motivated to play is because I got to 30 relatively easily.

GraveRobberX

You should see the new cock-blocks put in place for The Dark Below

All exotics getting bumped to new damage #, but with a huge cost:
7000 Glimmer
Weapon (Maxed or Wherever it's up too)
1 Exotic Shard (cost 7 Strange Coins from Xur or Dismantle an Exotic, which will net you 1 or if Dismantled a full maxed bubble 2-3 (not sure on this), only when he shows up and has that same item for you to upgrade)
Your new weapon starts out higher than when it was fully maxed, but now you have to fill up all the bubbles again and lose the perks the weapon you got used too

Also ranking up factions got overhauled and locked down from people burning their marks and getting way too ahead
Now you need a commendation (rank up, might be RNG), then you can use that commendation to either purchase 1 armor or 1 weapon of your choice, have to repeat if you want something else...

Zukkoyaki

The thing that surprised me the most about Destiny is the shear lack of content.

This game had been in development for at least four years (first hinted at in 2009), and this was all they were able to include in the release? Four decent sized but not huge by any means zones, a single town, and like 6-8 instances? Absolutely mindblowing!

Look at the amount of content, places to explore, collectables, and such, that Bioware was able to put into Dragon Age: Inquisition in addition to the stellar multiplayer mode. Think about the fact that they did all that in less time than it took Bungie to pump out Destiny. It's astonishing to me and honestly if I were Bungie, I'd be a little embarrassed.

I don't think that Destiny is beyond salvaging however. Though it will require some major changes and a very steady flow of solid, reasonably priced expansion content.

Sojgat

One thing for sure is I aint touching destiny 2.

Damned shame since out of a lot of FPSes this game has some of the goddamned best gunplay mechanics there is.

Just everything else is highly lacking...

They will probably fix most of the major problems for Destiny 2.

I just doubt any of them are ever going to get addressed in a meaningful way in this game, because Bungie are probably already so busy making that one.

Neuro

he shut that raid matchmaking the fuck down.

discussing:

vault expansion
glimmer expansion

cmon bungie....less discussing, more coding and implementing.

also....WOW!!! i can bring my guy to Destiny 2!!!

What made you doubt that...I'd reckon a late 2016 release for the new game...60$ with 2 more expansion packs... and the tird one by the end of the console cycle...

Animator

I am gonna be so happy if someone bites on my craigslist destiny posting for $40 because I don't ever want to play this pos game again.

7000 Glimmer
1 Exotic Shard (cost 7 Strange Coins from Xur or Dismantle an Exotic, which will net you 1 or if Dismantled a full maxed bubble 2-3 (not sure on this), only when he shows up and has that same item for you to upgrade)
Your new weapon starts out higher than when it was fully maxed, but now you have to fill up all the bubbles again and lose the perks the weapon you got used too

Also ranking up factions got overhauled and locked down from people burning their marks and getting way too ahead
Now you need a commendation (rank up, might be RNG), then you can use that commendation to either purchase 1 armor or 1 weapon of your choice, have to repeat if you want something else...

I still don't understand why we had to lose all the exotic perks to shape around the new damage tree. A 2-point upgrade isn't going to change much balance-wise, so I don't buy the "too OP" garbage. Baffles me that they just didn't add a few more bubbles to the tree for the new damage upgrades while tweaking the amount of XP to unlock them.

Instead, it feels like those of us who have played and put in the effort are getting shafted while newer folks get a pass (no 7000 glimmer or exotic shard surcharge plus all the Ascendant material a lot of people wasted before the new exotic shard system).

7000 Glimmer

I've missed that part. 7000 fucking glimmer? (what's the best way to farm glimmer?)

GraveRobberX

I still don't understand why we had to lose all the exotic perks to shape around the new damage tree. A 2-point upgrade isn't going to change much balance-wise, so I don't buy the "too OP" garbage. Baffles me that they just didn't add a few more bubbles to the tree for the new damage upgrades while tweaking the amount of XP to unlock them.

Instead, it feels like those of us who have played and put in the effort are getting shafted while newer folks get a pass (no 7000 glimmer or exotic shard surcharge plus all the Ascendant material a lot of people wasted before the new exotic shard system).

Well Bungie was "Listening" and thought this is what the community wanted, grind on top of a grind, mixed in with a side of grind for good measure

The community asked for this!

Gonna be hilarious come March/April for House of Wolves (Expansion II), we get to re-roll and upgrade every exotic AGAIN!

GraveRobberX

I've missed that part. 7000 fucking glimmer? (what's the best way to farm glimmer?)

Edit: Beaten >_<

The Exclusion Zone mission, first Mars mission
Do it on Heroic, (1 level rank above Normal)

Kill Cabal grunts from first drop-ship, second drop-ship deploys a centurion (solar shielded lieutenant with rocket launcher) + 2 phalanxes (cabal shield dudes) + 9 Gold Cabal Legionaries
Pop a Resupply Code last 10 minutes
Earn 500 Glimmer every 2 minutes or roughly 2500 per 10 minutes

Bring 2 more people along and really rake in the glimmer

Kill the 9 Gold, either kill yourself or get killed, checkpoint right before door again, repeat

Top Bottom