• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie on Destiny's lack of story, the new raid, and Destiny 2

, and if you put 6 people together none of them may know how to get through and you're looking at a real nightmare.

But isn't that how people learn? You know, aside from Youtube videos and strategy guides. I still don't see the point of not implementing a robust LFG/Matchmaking/Clan/Party/Lobby system in this game - which desperately needs it, among other things.

Lucent

What about me Bish?

=3

rXQE39z.png

Clocking in on 700 hour or close to 30 days >_>;

Man...I bet I could teach myself to be a pretty decent animator with this amount of time spent.

I really dunno how this much time can be spent on any game. I think I spent maybe 30 hours on this game. Never did the raid. Lost interest. I'm not going to "become legend" by repeating the same missions over and over. There's literally nothing that people are going to do differently besides how they take on missions. You don't have choices in the story.

Feel like Bungie is somehow tricking themselves into seeing the game as something it's not.

"Story" in a nutshell:

"We shipped the game with barely any story at all, but hey, we listen to our players, so if they want better story, we'll add that later after we already have your $60. By the way, did we mention that better story will have to be purchased through expansions? But hey, we listen to our players!"

Ya they listen alright. I dunno one person who didnt want more planets. But yeah, they listen. let's give them a few more missions in those areas that they've done a million times already.

dan2026

People still bought the hell out of this game even though its a bit crappy.
Why should Bungie change their tact?

edornob

Man...I bet I could teach myself to be a pretty decent animator with this amount of time spent.

I really dunno how this much time can be spent on any game. I think I spent maybe 30 hours on this game. Never did the raid. Lost interest. I'm not going to "become legend" by repeating the same missions over and over. There's literally nothing that people are going to do differently besides how they take on missions. You don't have choices in the story.

Feel like Bungie is somehow tricking themselves into seeing the game as something it's not.

You must have never played an RPG or a fighting game

Or Mario Kart

Or PSO

Or videogames in general

I really don't understand the people who don't want raid matchmaking. First of all the normal raid is not difficult at all as long as one person knows and can explain the mechanics. The hardest part is fighting against the glitches that bungie won't fix. Matchmaking also wouldn't be required, you can still get groups together without ever using an optional matchmaking system. But to say that it can't be done with randoms is just ridiculous. If you don't have a group of friends to do it with, then you're using gaf or reddit or destinylfg to find a group of random people to go through it with. You're playing through with randoms regardless, the only difference is that you have to find those randoms outside of the game itself.

Which I guess makes sense since you have to leave the game to get any of the game's story.

...AFK assholes already ruin strikes.

I don't care if Bungie make the next best game ever, they are not getting anymore of my money.

Infact my copy of Destiny is currently up on ebay, just need to recoup my losses on this farce of a game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I really don't understand the people who don't want raid matchmaking. First of all the normal raid is not difficult at all as long as one person knows and can explain the mechanics. The hardest part is fighting against the glitches that bungie won't fix. Matchmaking also wouldn't be required, you can still get groups together without ever using an optional matchmaking system. But to say that it can't be done with randoms is just ridiculous. If you don't have a group of friends to do it with, then you're using gaf or reddit or destinylfg to find a group of random people to go through it with. You're playing through with randoms regardless, the only difference is that you have to find those randoms outside of the game itself.

Which I guess makes sense since you have to leave the game to get any of the game's story.
I tried to do a raid with randoms once for shits and giggles and it was a bloody mess. No one was talking in the game chat and everyone was doing what he wanted. Couldn't even get the gate open.

No thanks.

Bungie seems to have "crafted" Destiny's story to be purposely nebulous for players to speculate on the lore & form wild theories during discussion. It's bullshit, but the psychology behind it makes the world feel larger than it really is. That's been part of the fun for my friends and myself, but it IS bullshit.

I can't wait to play through the new raid tonight even though I am certain that it was cut from the base game. I'm in an abusive relationship with Destiny but I can't help but love it.

Armaros

If group finders can work in actual MMOs, then Destiny can get matchmaking.

Destiny is too special for MMO social conventions and designs that have evolved over time.

Thats why they have zero communication in game between strangers outside of a group, guilds are on out of game websites, and people develop their own basic LFG system outside of the game, because you cant even see your guild mates online.

But Destiny is too good for raid matchmaking.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If raid matchmaking is a no go, can they at least make it so that some of the raid elements make it into the rest of the game in a more dumbed down way so that it's not the only content that's more more than go from a to b and shoot guys a bunch? Maybe adding in a difficult post game level with sweet loot that single players can aim for and feel accomplished?

The most sucky thing about the raid matchmaking thing to me is that it seems like the entire game is structured around the raid. Bungie has been pretty clear this game is mostly about the post game, but really the only thing you can to as a single player is matchmake on a random level 27 strike which just recycling content you already saw by level 20 and has terrible loot.

The only sane way to get an exotic weapon without grinding yourself to death is through strange coins, and even that is locked behind the no matchmaking barrior because the only way to gaurantee those to drop is with the daily or weekly strike, and those also stupidly don't have matchmaking.

But hey, I've lived through many an MMO making friends in the games chatrooms of whoever's currently playing, bugging people to help me out until they do. Except they don't even allow in game chat in this game that apparently requires social hook ups. So instead of just meeting someone in game at a land mark and running off together from there, i have to deal with going out of the game to find people, then adding them as friends on the playstation level, and then getting them in game to add them to a group, before i can even play the dumb weekly strike to get just one fifth of the way to an exotic, forcing me go through all that again next week.

So if they're going to make everything else about this game as miserable as possible to deal with, they better damn well make the one interesting piece of content available to everyone with matchmaking.

joecanada

...AFK assholes already ruin strikes.

I could not care less if people go afk in strikes I can solo any of them.
Raids you would just kick them or they would leave anyway as you would all die together.
There would be no point in going afk

Pretty simple solutions there's no reason not to add the feature

saunderez

People still bought the hell out of this game even though its a bit crappy.
Why should Bungie change their tact?
Because they've poisoned the well for a lot of us and last I heard they wanted to sell us another one in the next year or two? Developers aren't usually rewarded when they disappoint their audience. If they're happy with a reduced audience next time they should just continue as they are now, otherwise major changes need to be made.

ryuken-d

Can you imagine how much fun the Gorgon Maze is going to be with a bunch of regular matchmaking yahoos who don't really give a fuck?

mics required and kicking players if needed and drop ins along the way if you loose someone. but its kinda fucked because based on my own experience and moods in the past. I think the mic is the biggest thing people would not be into, the same people that never bothered to make friend and get a raid party through gaf or whatever. maybe there are people that are shy/lazy that would mic it up I don't know.

if they always had matchmaking I would of tried that first. depending on how it went maybe I would have never found so many people to play with on gaf. ?

ryuken-d

Because they've poisoned the well for a lot of us and last I heard they wanted to sell us another one in the next year or two? Developers aren't usually rewarded when they disappoint their audience. If they're happy with a reduced audience next time they should just continue as they are now, otherwise major changes need to be made.

now that I know that Destiny will have sequels instead of expansions forever (10years) now I'm kinda pissed because the new destiny wont have any of the areas the first one had right? just a new set of areas per planet? I actually like the idea of adding and adding as long as they add a shit load of content and keep the old stuff it would be huge like it should be. I don't want to swap discs or games to play the old shit again, its always nice to put shit on ice and go back to it but I probably never will if the new shit is separate. Unless there is a super dry spell in game releases.

Lucent

You must have never played an RPG or a fighting game

Or Mario Kart

Or PSO

Or videogames in general

Umm...what? I've played plenty of RPGs. Don't really care for fighting games though.

There has been no RPG I've played where I saw a reason to play 700 hours or even half that. I don't feel the need to do every little fetch quest to complete a game. I only play the content that's fun for me.

I have played PSO but it was sort of like Destiny where all you're doing is repeating the same areas and missions to MAYBE get loot. The only game I've played similar to that that I thought was fun was Monster Hunter, but that was when I had people to play it with.

I play a lot of video games, but I can never spend 700 hours on ONE game. That's why I don't play MMOs or anything like that. I need variety in my gaming. Most I've probably ever spent in a game is 120 hours in Oblivion and that was doing what I think is everything. But besides that, most games the max I spend is probably 80 hours and that's usually on RPGs because most don't last more than that to play the good stuff.

I was sick of Destiny after 30. Kept trying to tell myself Bungie was going to be making it a better game over time. But after all the stuff they've been saying, it doesn't seem like that'll ever happen.

Top Bottom