• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie on Destiny's lack of story, the new raid, and Destiny 2

benjammin

I really don't understand the people who don't want raid matchmaking. First of all the normal raid is not difficult at all as long as one person knows and can explain the mechanics. The hardest part is fighting against the glitches that bungie won't fix. Matchmaking also wouldn't be required, you can still get groups together without ever using an optional matchmaking system. But to say that it can't be done with randoms is just ridiculous. If you don't have a group of friends to do it with, then you're using gaf or reddit or destinylfg to find a group of random people to go through it with. You're playing through with randoms regardless, the only difference is that you have to find those randoms outside of the game itself.

Which I guess makes sense since you have to leave the game to get any of the game's story.

border

You're playing through with randoms regardless, the only difference is that you have to find those randoms outside of the game itself.

Except that NeoGAF, DestinyLFG, and Reddit are in this instance acting as filtering mechanisms. The goofballs that aren't interested in taking the game seriously don't go to those sites to organize groups. They do however end up in public matchmaking.

Seeing how people behaved in the Strike Playlists makes me not want those same people in raid matchmaking with me.

In some far-flung future version of Destiny I imagine they will have dumbed-down versions of the raid that work with matchmaking and reward lower quality gear. That's how Warcraft does it now I believe.

patchday

I decided to quit Destiny (at least for now). Haven't played in weeks.

It just upsets me because the game "core" is sooo much FUN. Excellent shooter covered up by slimy MMO mechanics :(

But Bungie is so stubborn in regards to endgame. They need to have multiple paths to hit the Light cap. Not just raid.

But they don't give a care about my opinion hence I currently have no plan to support their DLCs til they do. I keep feeling like Destiny is like how World of Warcraft was at launch over 10 years ago when the only way to get the best items was the raid.

Also really hate how your gear determines your Level. When you get a new item in Destiny its hard to be happy when you know you gotta spend HOURS to max it out. The new DLC makes that crap even worse.

FUN game but alas there are other much better designed games out there for me to play atm (like Dragon's Age Inquisition's single player). Hopefully one day we'll all get an Online RPG that doesnt grind the crap out of us. Right now all we got is Guild Wars that fits the bill which is sad.

/rant off

[edit] To be clear, I enjoy the raid content. But hate depending on the awful RNG system to get the light gear. Hate spending hours on a raid and not get anything. Gimmie some tokens are something yo. Not just shards & resources

joecanada

there's already forced matchmaking in strike playlists which I don't even want.

but no matchmaking in raids.

Bungie can't do anything right. should be a meme by now... "oh you, oh bungie"

Deku Tree

I decided to quit Destiny (at least for now). Haven't played in weeks.

It just upsets me because the game "core" is sooo much FUN. Excellent shooter covered up by slimy MMO mechanics :(

But Bungie is so stubborn in regards to endgame. They need to have multiple paths to hit the Light cap. Not just raid.

But they don't give a care about my opinion hence I currently have no plan to support their DLCs til they do. I keep feeling like Destiny is like how World of Warcraft was at launch over 10 years ago when the only way to get the best items was the raid.

Also really hate how your gear determines your Level. When you get a new item in Destiny its hard to be happy when you know you gotta spend HOURS to max it out. The new DLC makes that crap even worse.

FUN game but alas there are other much better designed games out there for me to play atm (like Dragon's Age Inquisition's single player). Hopefully one day we'll all get an Online RPG that doesnt grind the crap out of us. Right now all we got is Guild Wars that fits the bill which is sad.

/rant off

[edit] To be clear, I enjoy the raid content. But hate depending on the awful RNG system to get the light gear. Hate spending hours on a raid and not get anything. Gimmie some tokens are something yo. Not just shards & resources

You realize that if you don't want to raid then hitting the light cap is a meaningless stat that doesn't change how you experience the game at all. The difference between level 28 or 29 and level 30 does essentially nothing for you in every part of the game except for the Hard Raid.

Also the DLC raid is supposed to do a better job of giving you the drops you need. You are quitting right when they may be answering your complaints.

Fuck the raids.

I'm over a certain age, don't have a bunch of friends that can all get together to play, and I'm not going to hunt down a group of randoms on a board.

"Yeah, well then tough shit" some of you will say. Fair enough. But fuck raids being the only way to go. Your game's design is poor.

You realize that if you don't want to raid then hitting the light cap is a meaningless stat that doesn't change how you experience the game at all. The difference between level 28 or 29 and level 30 does essentially nothing for you in every part of the game except for the Hard Raid.

Right, the entire end game is designed around this one specific thing. It'd mindbogglingly dumb design.

bryehn

Except that NeoGAF, DestinyLFG, and Reddit are in this instance acting as filtering mechanisms. The goofballs that aren't interested in taking the game seriously don't go to those sites to organize groups. They do however end up in public matchmaking.

Seeing how people behaved in the Strike Playlists makes me not want those same people in raid matchmaking with me.

In some far-flung future version of Destiny I imagine they will have dumbed-down versions of the raid that work with matchmaking and reward lower quality gear. That's how Warcraft does it now I believe.

In fairness, this never really happened to me at all, maybe it's the time of day I play or something, but I've always had good luck with random striketeams.

ryuken-d

How much wasted money for discussion does it take to add more vault space and raise the glimmer cap? Just do it. Since glimmer is account wide and not character wide, it should easily be upped. A faster way to move guns between chars would also be excellent.

I'd go further and allow swapping characters or loadouts with a button push. character swap only in the tower. also more vault space and more glimmer balance. even if you make me work for it have the glimmer limit increase with lvl or something wtf?

border

In fairness, this never really happened to me at all, maybe it's the time of day I play or something, but I've always had good luck with random striketeams.

I've never encountered anyone that was a griefer or abusive or anything like that. But plenty of people disconnect or go AFK or just don't know the best boss strategies. Many insist on fighting enemies that you can skip so they end up way behind the group.

It seems like maybe 25% of the time someone will just sit at the beginning of a Strike doing nothing while 2 of us go inside. Sometimes they catch up, sometimes they're gone for the whole strike, sometimes they just disappear.

joecanada

I've never encountered anyone that was a griefer or abusive or anything like that. But plenty of people disconnect or go AFK or just don't know the best boss strategies. Many insist on fighting enemies that you can skip so they end up way behind the group.

It seems like maybe 25% of the time someone will just sit at the beginning of a Strike doing nothing while 2 of us go inside. Sometimes they catch up, sometimes they're gone for the whole strike, sometimes they just disappear.

well i agree with most but the skipping part. if you want to skip by and do the strike as fast as possible dont expect everyone to just follow along. I'm level 29 and I still stop to kill most enemies for bounties, exp, etc... if you have bounties with you there's no need to skip ahead.

What about me Bish?

=3

rXQE39z.png

Clocking in on 700 hour or close to 30 days >_>;

You win:

0scHgDB.jpg

gatti-man

I really don't understand the people who don't want raid matchmaking. First of all the normal raid is not difficult at all as long as one person knows and can explain the mechanics. The hardest part is fighting against the glitches that bungie won't fix. Matchmaking also wouldn't be required, you can still get groups together without ever using an optional matchmaking system. But to say that it can't be done with randoms is just ridiculous. If you don't have a group of friends to do it with, then you're using gaf or reddit or destinylfg to find a group of random people to go through it with. You're playing through with randoms regardless, the only difference is that you have to find those randoms outside of the game itself.

Which I guess makes sense since you have to leave the game to get any of the game's story.
I don't think anyone is saying don't add it. I think there is a camp that wants it and a camp that doesn't care. I simply don't care. Getting a group together has been easy for me so I couldn't care less if bungee adds it and can see how it's a can of worms for them possibly.

This is exactly how I see it.

Mindlog

Those issues can be fixed. However, Bungie won't be forced to address them unless it becomes more widespread and the complaints are louder. The first round of Iron Banner was so awful they had to regroup and created Iron Medallions.

There's also no reason to believe all forms of matchmaking should be the same. An actual lobby system before launching a raid would be a little more useful than digging through the roster window to look at setups. This takes money and time so we're probably not getting a proper fix.
This is exactly how I see it.
On more than one occasion someone in our group has had to leave. That meant the raid would grind to a halt while we wait for someone to go those sights and scour them for an appropriate substitute. Everyone else would scour their friend lists looking for someone that was ready to raid. Then we have to decide who should actually get the slot when three people show up at the same time.

On more than one occasion it means I become part of PSN messages with dozens of players.

You really think there's no better way?

ryuken-d

its funny thinking about the people who skip past enemies and those who don't and how far they go before stopping to fight. its like people gradually skipped more and more enemies after they realized they could but some people want to upgrade there new weapon with kills or enjoy the whole strike. I'm cool skipping the first public area of any strike but that's it. I'm sure most people have different opinions and that's the problem.

also I've experienced a few guys that never ran the strike or logged out. but only once have I seen someone make it to the end and just hide the whole time. I told teacher on him, it was annoying because I was doing the no death on strike exotic bounties so yeah fuck those people.

I still think they should open matchmaking for raids though. mics needed and obvious lvl cap is obvious.

gatti-man

Those issues can be fixed. However, Bungie won't be forced to address them unless it becomes more widespread and the complaints are louder. The first round of Iron Banner was so awful they had to regroup and created Iron Medallions.

There's also no reason to believe all forms of matchmaking should be the same. An actual lobby system before launching a raid would be a little more useful than digging through the roster window to look at setups. This takes money and time so we're probably not getting a proper fix.

On more than one occasion someone in our group has had to leave. That meant the raid would grind to a halt while we wait for someone to go those sights and scour them for an appropriate substitute. Everyone else would scour their friend lists looking for someone that was ready to raid. Then we have to decide who should actually get the slot when three people show up at the same time.

On more than one occasion it means I become part of PSN messages with dozens of players.

You really think there's no better way?
Not for me there isn't. I would never use group finder unless I was feeling like 4 hours of frustration. See your example forgets one thing, your eventual replacement will have skill and actually be interested in doing the raid correctly. Group finder you might have to go through 5 people before you find someone worth playing with. Which takes longer? Plus you already started with 6 quality players in your scenario. What are the odds that happens when it's a public group finder? Id say zero just based on strike and pvp experience I have.

Edit: once again I'm cool with matchmaking I just see it as a no win for bungie. If they make it how you want it with all the filters people will complain it's elitist and forces out new players. Without the filters it's basically worthless to actually get something done. If be cool with bungie doing it though especially if a majority of people can't get to experience the raid.

ryuken-d

Not for me there isn't. I would never use group finder unless I was feeling like 4 hours of frustration. See your example forgets one thing, your eventual replacement will have skill and actually be interested in doing the raid correctly. Group finder you might have to go through 5 people before you find someone worth playing with. Which takes longer? Plus you already started with 6 quality players in your scenario. What are the odds that happens when it's a public group finder? Id say zero just based on strike and pvp experience I have.

I agree, even peoples friends suck half the time. I'd say match making is useful for every single player who hasn't played the raid yet and you know that number is big. embarrassingly big.

Copen

Banned
In a game that's supposed to be social not having matchmaking for most stuff is a complete oversight on their part. Something should've been done about it a while back.

Mindlog

How?
How do I know for certain the player someone found somewhere is ready to raid? How do you know I started with 6 quality players? I've had to carry plenty of players through raids and nightfalls. The best we can do on one of those websites is request a certain skill level or item quality and as anyone that has used those sites can vouch there are plenty of liars.

Raid matchmaking doesn't have to mirror the extremely poor matchmaking found elsewhere in the game. I would happily raid with anyone that can pass an equipment check, has soloed a nightfall and has a vested interest (10 heavy ammo synths to join.) That right there is more vetting than anything I get from DestinyLFG and it could easily be done in-game.

BokehKing

Banned
I'm in the same boat. I had a great time with Destiny, but I just don't have the time to get a raid group together. There are so many possibilities to make that content more accessible, but Bungie has its head buried in the ground. Given that, paying $20 for a few story mission, which likely means retreading the same environments, and a strike or two depending on your console, doesn't make much sense.

the raid alone is probably worth $15 seeing how often I will run it
Extra MP maps
Strikes
Armor
Guns
that's just a bonus to me

funny thing though, Deej recently interviewed the founder of DestinyLFG
I just wish the guy replied back with

"Well...our site got started because you shafted us on a basic feature"

I understand why no matchmaking for raids (if they were not lazy, they could boost the light level to 34, have random raid finder only give you gear that gets you to 32, regular raid get you gear that can get you to 33, Hard Raid gets you Cosmetic changes to your guardian and 34)

but nope...

Just give me matchmaking for story/heroic daily/weekly and nightly

gatti-man

I agree, even peoples friends suck half the time. I'd say match making is useful for every single player who hasn't played the raid yet and you know that number is big. embarrassingly big.

Yeah. I feel bad for people that haven't played the raid. It's such a big part of destiny. Fuck it I mean if it's really that many people there needs to be matchmaking. People deserve to be able to be able to at least attempt part of the game they paid for.

How?
How do I know for certain the player someone found somewhere is ready to raid? How do you know I started with 6 quality players? I've had to carry plenty of players through raids and nightfalls. The best we can do on one of those websites is request a certain skill level or item quality and as anyone that has used those sites can vouch there are plenty of liars.

Raid matchmaking doesn't have to mirror the extremely poor matchmaking found elsewhere in the game. I would happily raid with anyone that can pass an equipment check, has soloed a nightfall and has a vested interest (10 heavy ammo synths to join.) That right there is more vetting than anything I get from DestinyLFG and it could easily be done in-game.

Yeah I agree with you. Destiny needs matchmaking for raids. I personally don't need it but it would only add value. Hopefully the dlc doesn't do well so they add it in to try and entice people. I changed my mind about it.

border

Matchmaking is probably a lot more difficult when you are talking about a group raid that potentially takes hours, rather than a Strike or Crucible match that will be done in 10-15 minutes tops

People in matchmaking expect to be put in a match pretty quickly and it's possible because there's such fast turnover on strikes and raids. Raid matchmaking might take a good deal more time......particularly if everyone's using all kinds of different filters.

Nessus

Does anyone even care about the story?

I really liked the story and single player in the Halo series, and I was looking forward to this as a clean slate for Bungie to tell a new story in a new universe. Was really disappointing to realize that the so much got cut/mutilated through the development cycle.

gatti-man

Matchmaking is probably a lot more difficult when you are talking about a group raid that potentially takes hours, rather than a Strike or Crucible match that will be done in 10-15 minutes tops

People in matchmaking expect to be put in a match pretty quickly and it's possible because there's such fast turnover on strikes and raids. Raid matchmaking might take a good deal more time......particularly if everyone's using all kinds of different filters.

Yeah it would be a shit show I think but it's still better than nothing and a significant amount of people aren't playing the raid it seems like because of it.

Mindlog

It should be noted that even though I am a proponent of advanced matchmaking I don't ever expect Bungie or Activision to make the investment. We will be lucky to ever see some sort of modest website integration, but that also probably won't happen.
Does anyone even care about the story?
The lore behind the Vault of Glass is a great piece of video game sci-fi. I would be hard pressed to name another recent AAA title that comes close. Shame to see that kind of talent going unnoticed.

gatti-man

It should be noted that even though I am a proponent of advanced matchmaking I don't ever expect Bungie or Activision to make the investment. We will be lucky to ever see some sort of modest website integration, but that also probably won't happen.

The lore behind the Vault of Glass is a great piece of video game sci-fi. I would be hard pressed to name another recent AAA title that comes close. Shame to see that kind of talent going unnoticed.

I hope we fight a vex'd out zombie kabr and his lost team in the future. Could be amazing.

How?

B.b..b.b.but people are gonna quit and go eat dinner for 40 mins while we're raiding!!!! Wouldn't you rather post LFG on a message board and just take the first 5 guys that say yes?!

border

Can you imagine how much fun the Gorgon Maze is going to be with a bunch of regular matchmaking yahoos who don't really give a fuck?

I listened to the video a bit but tuned out after a few minutes of nonsense PR talk. Which is one way to go, I guess enough people enjoyed the game that they don't have to go into full on "we really messed up on this" mode.

I'd say the story was so bad, that it took about two full single player games and the first hours of Dragon Age to sort of wipe my mind of destiny's story. I had played Destiny for so long that it was really jarring to play Dragon Age Inquisition and see my character's face for more than a grand total of 20 minutes and have them engage in conversations for hours on end.

Raid matchmaking was probably the only thing that could have gotten me interested in Destiny again. Even when I played the game daily, I had little interest in engaging in the convoluted "do it yourself" matchmaking errand they pushed onto players, and their decision not to budge on it, makes it easier for me to just delete the game (I was dumb enough to buy it digitally) and move on.

Also the "BUT RANDOMS ARE HORRIBLE" excuse people keep throwing around to support the decision to not have raid matchmaking is pretty ridiculous. The blame for the problems that show up in the matchmaking playlists lies solely with Bungie. If Bungie had included even the most basic of multiplayer options into the game then most of these problems would be nothing but minor inconveniences.

For example, someone afk's for too long or doesn't know how to do a certain strike or raid to the point where it's causing team wipes? Kick em. Someone has to leave early or just disconnects? Open up some kind of social menu and turn matchmaking on again, decide if they need to have a mic, and you're done. Also include some kind of "queue me for strikes or raids" option so the new players looking to join can join right away

Marcel

Can you imagine how much fun the Gorgon Maze is going to be with a bunch of regular matchmaking yahoos who don't really give a fuck?

I like how this is somehow a valid dismissal for the option to matchmake. Who gives a shit about your speculation about what fun and what isn't since you have no reason to use matchmaking? How petty are you Destiny apologists?

its not exactly convenient to get a party of 6 together for the raids, especially at odd hours of the night

there should be a spot in the tower where you can chill and let people know if you want to do raids or some shit if they won't do matchmaking

i don't really get the beef with the story.. i don't want more cutscenes in a game like this

Max out three legendaries and have an exotic piece. Once you upgrade the exotic from Xur, that should take you to level 30. No raid gear or upgraded vendor gear required.

thats a fuck load of ascendent shards.. i need 36 to upgrade my legendaries.. and you're lucky if you can get 2 from the daily

surely theres a better way"?

PooBone

\

Right, the entire end game is designed around this one specific thing. It'd mindbogglingly dumb design.

I mean, what else is in the game to design the endgame around? Strikes? The whole thing is a shitstorm really, advertised as a clean bathroom with those precision hand
dryers.

GhaleonEB

I'm hoping some of the ideas in the raids filter down to the strikes and they slowly become the "raid lites". It sounds like the new one starts down that path.

Fuck the raids.

I'm over a certain age, don't have a bunch of friends that can all get together to play, and I'm not going to hunt down a group of randoms on a board.

"Yeah, well then tough shit" some of you will say. Fair enough. But fuck raids being the only way to go. Your game's design is poor.

I more or less had this viewpoint until I ran the raid last night for the first time; just don't have the time to pull them together with any kind of regularity. The stars finally aligned.

After playing it - there's no way on earth matchmaking would work.

Hiko

Banned
its not exactly convenient to get a party of 6 together for the raids, especially at odd hours of the night

there should be a spot in the tower where you can chill and let people know if you want to do raids or some shit if they won't do matchmaking

i don't really get the beef with the story.. i don't want more cutscenes in a game like this

thats a fuck load of ascendent shards.. i need 36 to upgrade my legendaries.. and you're lucky if you can get 2 from the daily

surely theres a better way"?

Ass shards came from raids mostly. Exotics no longer require ass to level up.

border

IWho gives a shit about your speculation about what fun and what isn't since you have no reason to use matchmaking? How petty are you Destiny apologists?

Speculation from people who run the raid and deal with its challenges can inform those that have never done it but still blindly demand matchmaking.

The Gorgon Maze is just an example though. Literally a single mis-step wipes the entire group. It's rough doing it with a regular group, and I probably wouldn't trust matchmade groups to perform there. Plus you kinda need a leader that knows the route through that section really well (I admit I don't), and if you put 6 people together none of them may know how to get through and you're looking at a real nightmare.

Marcel

Speculation from people who run the raid and deal with its challenges can inform those that have never done it but still blindly demand matchmaking.

The Gorgon Maze is just an example though. Literally a single mis-step wipes the entire group. It's rough doing it with a regular group, and I probably wouldn't trust matchmade groups to perform there. Plus you kinda need a leader that knows the route through that section really well (I admit I don't), and if you put 6 people together none of them may know how to get through and you're looking at a real nightmare.

I've done the raid too. Did it once in its original buggy state with my clanmates and had no desire to go back. You going to the same content well again and again doesn't make your opinion more valid than mine. You just enjoy tugging on the one-armed bandit more than I do.

I've also completed Turns of The Binding Coil of Bahamut in the Duty Finder of FFXIV (no, gatti-man, VOG is not harder). It might take more patience but more options for finding a party is always better.

border

I've done the raid too. Did it once in its original buggy state with my clanmates and had no desire to go back. You going to the same content well again and again doesn't make your opinion more valid than mine. You just enjoy tugging on the one-armed bandit more than I do.

I've done the raid a half-dozen times at best - not a lot. If you're familiar with it then it's not hard to see the problems with just throwing random people together into it. Many encounters require specific roles that even experienced players may not be all that comfortable with. Guiding through the maze, carrying the Relic for Templar, being on cleanse/bubble duty for Atheon -- stuff like that. Even I still haven't done anything other than clear adds for the Gatekeeper....I have no idea what's going on inside the portals.

So when it's possible to have these weird knowledge/skill gaps even among people who do the raid regularly, the problem becomes even greater with matchmaking. You run the risk that you'll put together a group where those gaps mean you are doomed from the start.

You emphasize "patience"....which is not normally a word associated with "fun". But more than that, how much patience do you think the other people in matchmaking are going to have? How many wipes before they just quit and restart matchmaking? People would drop out of matches in Iron Banner as soon as the tide was not in their favor.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Finding a group on DestinyLFG isn't that hard. They just need to bury raid matchmaking though a series of menus or buttons so that it's on the director screen. That would be enough to filter so that it's only people who really want to raid.

Destiny had awesome gameplay... that is it. It failed at everything else. It's sad as the game is fun shooter to play, but the story, content, variety, and endgame situation are all a huge mess. And from the get go instead of improving the games issues, they are wanting a bunch of money for some small "expansions".

Mindlog

I've cleared Vault of Glass with every class on every difficulty multiple times.

Destiny's base shitty 'matchmaking' would not work.
Advanced matchmaking would very easily work.

The group of imaginary players that would fuck around in the maze after investing 10k glimmer into matchmaking is much smaller than the group that lies on Destiny LFG. We know Bungie can make matchmaking better. The changes to Iron Banner were an acknowledgement that improvement was needed. The most recent update added even more rules to improve Crucible matchmaking. It follows that a raid matchmaking system could be created. Realistically, it would require so much investment that it will never happen. At the very least some sort of beacon system would be nice. Let players Flag their Friends List when they are actively Raid ready. When anyone else wants to Raid they ping their list and those flags show up. Just doing that would cut message spam by a significant amount.

Do I need matchmaking? NO. My friends list is packed with players, GAF is very active and I also have plenty of other outlets. I just don't buy any matchmaking excuse that comes up short of it being too expensive or beyond the team's expertise. An MMO shouldn't be this clumsy with its best content.

Destiny loves introducing new gates to increase player hours. Your Factions Ranks can be reset forcing you to reacquaint yourself. Your Faction Ranks can be replaced forcing you to earn commendations. Your resources can be subverted forcing you to earn new ones. How hard would it be to turn that talent towards gated matchmaking?

Orca

I've gotten an awful lot of idiots off DestinyLFG. Guys that don't have synthesis packs, ones that go AFK for 15 minutes at a time, or insist that there's some secret we have to try and find, etc...

All they've done is make it less convenient to find groups and why? So they can wash their hands of it if you get a bad group? What a stupid excuse.

KingV

I think they either have to add raid matchmaking or just ignore raids altogether. How are dlcs going to stay profitable putting most of the effort towards content that only 10% of players ever are able to attempt?

Top Bottom