• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BusinessInsider.com: Microsoft's Xbox is beating the PlayStation 5 this holiday season for 3 key reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
We've had the answer to that every time there was more stock though, haven't we?

High Five Best Friends GIF by reactionseditor

Kataploom

Gold Member
let say the whole article is a mountain of bullshits filled of MS PR words, not sure what else we have to argue about it, with all respect. Doubt XSS has ever overtake ps5 in US maybe for several stock issue but I hard believe it.
MS don't care neither do I, they just care about expanding all xbox ecosystem. The only ones that care about "who sells the most" are the ones moving goal post.

MS only care about making a very successful product and get profits, and SS seems to help making that possible.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The article doesn’t say the xbox series will outsell the PlayStation forever. It doesn’t say that Xbox is winning the gen.

It just reports to the general public that xbox is poised to outsell PlayStation over the holidays in the US because of the cheaper, more available SKU and critical suppy issues for the PS5 and Series X.

What’s ‘stupid’ about that? Why does such an innocuous article strike a nerve?

The rumor is, both MS and Sony were saving their main stock for post Black Friday from what I understand. So I guess we'll see when December numbers hit.

For now and at MUCH lower resolutions.
The XSS is designed to run games at a lower resolution Frank. Are you shifting the goal posts yet again?
Why didn’t they use the resources we’re always hearing about to secure more chips and have series x only or a digital version? Where’s the fuck you money? Wheres the couch cushion and pocket change that they spent on zeni?
Not sure what you are talking about now Frank. MS used their resources to secure content. Zenimax acquisition ensures Xbox customers have plenty of new games to play. Isn't this what gamers complained about last generation?

The XSS provides those gamers an avenue to get to that content at a price that is affordable. A digital XSX that can't be made at all certainly doesn't reach that goal. MS is interested in reaching the largest audience possible not appeasing forum dwellers who were never going to purchase their products in the first place.

Despite all that disingenuous nonsense many spew, MS is clearly on the right track. You keep cherry picking specific cases to play a 'gotcha' games but the facts remain that the product you keep attacking still offers more features and a superior value than the system that is more expensive. Things are quite a bit different than last generation and gamers as a whole will benefit no matter what haters say.

Dude stop being intellectually dishonest, lots of digital foundry and tech threads are on here that list this out and you should know because your the first one to pop into the thread as soon as Series S is mentioned negatively.
You again fail to mention even one core feature the XSS is missing yet attack me for intellectual dishonesty? Bad comedy. The people who speak negatively about the XSS don't have the system and in many cases don't have an Xbox at all. I do appreciate you taking the time to 'educate' people on the thing you know nothing about. Perhaps you should educate yourself first.

Shut0wen

If Series S is the majority console, its not good for both Series X and PS5 as next gen games going to be downgraded for Series S.
Lmao no it wont, devs will be holding out until stock is widley available, series s will probably play most games until 25-26 then games will start to run like shit on it, halo infinte cant even be played on performance mode for S without it being less then 25fps

dcmk7

Banned
Dude stop being intellectually dishonest, lots of digital foundry and tech threads are on here that list this out and you should know because your the first one to pop into the thread as soon as Series S is mentioned negatively.
As GHG GHG pointed out his arguments are all over the place and change significantly from one another depending on the context.

DarkMage619 DarkMage619 when the Series S doesn't have the same features as the Series X:

DarkMage619 DarkMage619 when the Series S does have the same features as the Series X:

So dependant on the situation, "Jason was right it's the same experience like he said", or "Jason never said it would be the same experience".

say-what-dunno.gif
No consistency. Just trolling us all at this point.

Last edited:
That really isn't the narrative though. Games obviously matter and there are multiple choices to play those games. The question is if availability were not a factor would XSS be on top right now. Put in terms of just Xbox. If XSX were readily available would XSS outsell it? I don't think that is a controversial question to ask at all.
People aren't asking the question. They are flat out stating as fact the only reason the xss is selling is due to no stock of the other 2. This just isn't true.

Ozriel

M$FT
The most negative responses come from people who don't like the fact that people are pointing out that this is a result of stock issues.

I’m still gobsmacked at how many of you guys are here ‘pointing out’ stuff mentioned and highlighted in the article 😂

‘Stock’ is fast replacing ‘biomes’ as the most popular word on GAF for December.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I’m still gobsmacked at how many of you guys are here ‘pointing out’ stuff mentioned and highlighted in the article 😂

‘Stock’ is fast replacing ‘biomes’ as the most popular word on GAF for December.

No.

People are basically saying "duh".

kingfey

Banned
This makes zero. But ok .....

Some people are not impatient like you and they will just wait until the other consoles are available to upgrade. Money is relative for different people and a consoles is something that will be played for years so the price difference for the Series S compared to $100 (PS5 digital $399) and $200 (PS5/Series X $499) might not be that big of a deal for some.

Remember, if the other consoles were available they would outsell the Series S because price isn't as big of a factor when it comes to a console that will be used for years.
Price plays a huge factor. Its why switch is selling alot.

Stuart360

I dont know why any positive Xbox related news always has to have multiple page threads full of salt and conspiracy theories.
Series S is in stock in a lot of places, XSX and PS5 isnt,. Its simple really, no need for all this nonsense.

Besides XSS was always going to do well at Christmas, with parents buying them for their kids.

Topher

Gold Member
People aren't asking the question. They are flat out stating as fact the only reason the xss is selling is due to no stock of the other 2. This just isn't true.

You should respond directly to the posts who are saying that then. The posts I'm seeing are asserting reasons why XSS is outselling XSX and PS5. Yeah, I think that has more to do with stock than anything else. And no, the "games don't matter" line isn't part of that narrative.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I dont know why any positive Xbox related news always has to have multiple page threads full of salt and conspiracy theories.
Series S is in stock in a lot of places, XSX and PS5 isnt,. Its simple really, no need for all this nonsense.

Besides XSS was always going to do well at Christmas, with parents buying them for their kids.
People don't want to accept the fact that tiny box would be successful.

Plus they don't even own xss, so why do keep talking shit like that.

Neff

if anybody thinks they’d be outselling the Ps5, if the Ps5 was freely available everywhere, is living in a dream world.

Literally nobody is saying this. The information to take away from this article is that people aren't willing to wait for PS5, or Series X for that matter, as Christmas approaches. Like it or not, we are seeing potential PlayStation customers investing in Xbox's market simply because Microsoft has a console which is readily available.

Lognor

Banned
Microsoft was extremely smart with releasing the Series S. Maybe they did not expect this chip shortage, but the Series S has paid off tremendously.

I wonder if there is a chance we will see a PS5 model in the same vein as the Series S. With no end in sight to the chip shortage it makes total sense (if Sony was able to pull it off).

kingfey

Banned
This is because of supply NOT demand.
There will be demand, when supply is low. If supply is higher, there won't be demand.

Xss supply is higher, and is satisfying the demand, while xsx/ps5 cant supply enough to satisfy the demand.

If xss doesn't sell well, like the people here sayings, Ms would reduce the price to $200-$250, to increase the demand for the console. But because they aren't lowering the price, the console is selling very well.

Anyone who took business in college, knows this. But our boys here don't, so they keep talking shit.

Dr Bass

There is nothing wrong with Series S. It's a cool machine.

But November was a massively down month. There is nothing to glean from sales numbers at all this month. On the flip side of what you're saying, there is a weird need among a certain contingent to try and spin anything into "positive Xbox news" when it's not there. Then when people point out that it's just not good reasoning or even accurate information you get people responding with stuff like "oh so salty" or whatever stupid comeback they think is clever. When it's not.

Again, there is simply nothing that can be derived from the November numbers other than "stock is very bad."

That's it.

Edit:

Literally nobody is saying this. The information to take away from this article is that people aren't willing to wait for PS5, or Series X for that matter, as Christmas approaches. Like it or not, we are seeing potential PlayStation customers investing in Xbox's market simply because Microsoft has a console which is readily available.
About what I said originally in terms of not good reasoning? To wit.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Microsoft was extremely smart with releasing the Series S. Maybe they did not expect this chip shortage, but the Series S has paid off tremendously.

I wonder if there is a chance we will see a PS5 model in the same vein as the Series S. With no end in sight to the chip shortage it makes total sense (if Sony was able to pull it off).
Sony won't do it, since their fans would be so pissed off, considering the anger that the xss is getting from their fans.

They might reduce the digital edition to 350$ though. That is if, Sony is willing to do. But people are happily spending 500$ on the ps5 disc, so no way they will lower it.

FrankWza

The XSS is designed to run games at a lower resolution Frank. Are you shifting the goal posts yet again?
And apparently, it gets lower and lower and features started disappearing too.
Not sure what you are talking about now Frank. MS used their resources to secure content. Zenimax acquisition ensures Xbox customers have plenty of new games to play. Isn't this what gamers complained about last generation?
Dude. When that whole thing happened, all the talk about Microsoft and its giant pockets and that they had 7.5 billion in their couch cushions. You know what I meant but you keep trying to Houdini your way out of the facts with nonsense and things that have nothing to do with anything.
I don’t know why anyone bothers talking to you about the series s anyway. You don’t have one and have no intention of buying one :pie_raybans:

Lognor

Banned
Sony won't do it, since their fans would be so pissed off, considering the anger that the xss is getting from their fans.

They might reduce the digital edition to 350$ though. That is if, Sony is willing to do. But people are happily spending 500$ on the ps5 disc, so no way they will lower it.
No need for Sony to lower the price of the digital PS5. It's suffering the same shortage as the disc version. There is nothing Sony can do (or MS for that matter with the XSX). That is why the Series S was such a brilliant idea. Microsoft is laughing all the way to the bank.

kingfey

Banned
There is nothing wrong with Series S. It's a cool machine.

But November was a massively down month. There is nothing to glean from sales numbers at all this month. On the flip side of what you're saying, there is a weird need among a certain contingent to try and spin anything into "positive Xbox news" when it's not there. Then when people point out that it's just not good reasoning or even accurate information you get people responding with stuff like "oh so salty" or whatever stupid comeback they think is clever. When it's not.

Again, there is simply nothing that can be derived from the November numbers other than "stock is very bad."

That's it.
Stock issues will continue, as long as this virus exists. We will be in this shortage situation, until everyone is vaccinated, or we have a way to contain this virus.

The entire business world is getting hit the new variants. The warehouses is nice place for omicron and other variants viruses to spread faster.

This gen has been shit so far.

It's pure propaganda. I'd argue that if MS is selling the majority of their hardware units to gamers with it being the Series S, that's a lost for them longer term.

PS die hards really are on level.

Article: the series s is only selling well cus it's in stock and everything is out of stock

You: the article is pure propaganda. Its only selling cus its in stock and everything else isn't.

Care to explain which part was propaganda? The article is from a business page... Not a gaming journalist page. There's no fanboys there.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
No need for Sony to lower the price of the digital PS5. It's suffering the same shortage as the disc version. There is nothing Sony can do (or MS for that matter with the XSX). That is why the Series S was such a brilliant idea. Microsoft is laughing all the way to the bank.
It was a very good decision on MS part.

The pandemic crisis, the shortage is perfect time for a 300$ console, which is easy to make.

Plus people can spend 300$. 500$ is little too much, in the current situation.

mckmas8808

PS die hards really are on level.

Article: the series s is only selling well cus it's in stock and everything is out of stock

You: the article is pure propaganda. Its only selling cus its in stock and everything else isn't.

Care to explain which part was propaganda? The article is from a business page... Not a gaming journalist page. There's no fanboys there.

The main reason being we're still in the holiday season. He should at least wait to write this article in January.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

Dr Bass

Stock issues will continue, as long as this virus exists. We will be in this shortage situation, until everyone is vaccinated, or we have a way to contain this virus.

The entire business world is getting hit the new variants. The warehouses is nice place for omicron and other variants viruses to spread faster.

This gen has been shit so far.

What you quoted has nothing to do with what I wrote. And I also disagree. This gen has been really solid IMO. It's just past one year. We are only 15-20% of the way through, and big games are coming in 2022.

The PS5 has sold in record numbers. The Switch is setting record numbers. There were great games everywhere this year. Yeah November was a rough month for inventory, but that doesn't take away from everything going on, or the trajectory of where things are headed in the grand scheme of things.

Stock levels will return, everything will be fine. And things are likely going to continue as they were in terms of sales breakdowns.

And apparently, it gets lower and lower and features started disappearing too.
Nobody said it would use all the features, all the time, in all games Frank. We've spoken about this before or are you again shifting the goal posts?
Dude. When that whole thing happened, all the talk about Microsoft and its giant pockets and that they had 7.5 billion in their couch cushions. You know what I meant but you keep trying to Houdini your way out of the facts with nonsense and things that have nothing to do with anything.
I don’t know why anyone bothers talking to you about the series s anyway. You don’t have one and have no intention of buying one :pie_raybans:
Don't know who you are talking about but the $7.5 billion was used to secure content which makes sense to me. It might not to you but at this point I'm glad they didn't ask you. I'd love for you to actually speak some facts Frank. When will you start?

I will admit you correct about one thing though. I don't own a XSS but I have bought several for my friends. They appreciated the fact it could do things even more expensive consoles could not. I do not know why you bring up the XSS at all, its existence doesn't affect the PS5 in the slightest yet you find yourself in every XSS thread. Very interesting indeed. 😉

Lognor

Banned
The main reason being we're still in the holiday season. He should at least wait to write this article in January.
Okay, and? The holiday season is no surprise. It happens every year. Microsoft had the foresight to develop a console that was easier to manufacture and keep in stock and thus why we're seeing it sell extremely well. Microsoft had that foresight and they deserve that credit. Sony is not able to keep the PS5 in stock (nor is MS able to keep the XSX in stock), but MS is churning these Series S consoles out very quickly. Congrats to them! A very good decision to make the console. Sony probably wishing they had done it too now with this chip shortage continuing with no end in sight.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Nobody said it would use all the features, all the time, in all games Frank. We've spoken about this before or are you again shifting the goal posts?

Don't know who you are talking about but the $7.5 billion was used to secure content which makes sense to me. It might not to you but at this point I'm glad they didn't ask you. I'd love for you to actually speak some facts Frank. When will you start?

I will admit you correct about one thing though. I don't own a XSS but I have bought several for my friends. They appreciated the fact it could do things even more expensive consoles could not. I do not know why you bring up the XSS at all, its existence doesn't affect the PS5 in the slightest yet you find yourself in every XSS thread. Very interesting indeed. 😉
You bought people XSS. Send me one too buddy and I'll talk nice about it. 😂

mckmas8808

Okay, and? The holiday season is no surprise. It happens every year. Microsoft had the foresight to develop a console that was easier to manufacture and keep in stock and thus why we're seeing it sell extremely well. Microsoft had that foresight and they deserve that credit. Sony is not able to keep the PS5 in stock (nor is MS able to keep the XSX in stock), but MS is churning these Series S consoles out very quickly. Congrats to them! A very good decision to make the console. Sony probably wishing they had done it too now with this chip shortage continuing with no end in sight.

I think you're making the mistake that they author made. You're both thinking that the lack of supply tells us anything about the demand of the Xbox Series X or PS5. Is it possible that the Xbox Series S is on shelves due to lower demand? I see no reason on God's green Earth that Sony wishes they had a console out that had lower RAM and a weaker GPU that the main PS5. That literally makes no sense for them.

Plus, who here thinks the console shortage will last until 2023?

FrankWza

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

You should respond directly to the posts who are saying that then. The posts I'm seeing are asserting reasons why XSS is outselling XSX and PS5. Yeah, I think that has more to do with stock than anything else. And no, the "games don't matter" line isn't part of that narrative.
Don't feel like talking to them honestly. Most are pretty argumentative and will never admit they are wrong.

I find the people on here who can't fathom that there is demand for the Series S to be totally clueless. If you are a regular on this board you are an enthusiast. Of course you want the PS5 or the Series X. You probably play more than the average Joe, and you may even collect games.

But in real life the amount of casual players or parents who are going to buy this console for Christmas is super high. Just anecdotally I have talked with four friends or family members who have purchased a Series S in November and December and not one which has purchased a PS5 or Series X.

One is selling off their switch consoles and bought the Series S and gamepass for the kids. They were the earliest and they loved it when I visited during Thanksgiving. It was my first time seeing one in person and I was actually surprised at how good it looked on their 4k TV in FH5 performance mode.

I have two cousins who bought it recently. One who is younger and spends 99% of his gaming time in Fortnite and rocket league got it as an early Christmas gift to replace his 7 year old Xbox One. The other just purchased because he didn't want to spring for Series X when he was buying it to only play the Halo campaign and FH5. He is mostly a COD player, and all of his friends are on PlayStation, so the series S made the most sense. The fourth is a family friend who bought it as the main Christmas gift for his kids as their first console, along with Gamepass.

Either you folks cannot think of all of the situations people might want a Series S in, you have no social life, or I am the weirdo who just happens to know people who are buying the Series S

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly they throwing Series S at people in the UK. I now have 2 thanks to my phone provider bundling them with contract upgrades.

Lognor

Banned
I think you're making the mistake that they author made. You're both thinking that the lack of supply tells us anything about the demand of the Xbox Series X or PS5. Is it possible that the Xbox Series S is on shelves due to lower demand? I see no reason on God's green Earth that Sony wishes they had a console out that had lower RAM and a weaker GPU that the main PS5. That literally makes no sense for them.

Plus, who here thinks the console shortage will last until 2023?
You're saying the lack of supply of the ps5 doesn't tell us anything of its demand? Huh?

The series s is selling well. We have that data. No need to downplay or make excuses. It's selling. The ps5 and xsx would be selling if they were available. They're not. The series s is. It's as simple as that. It's a massive win for ms. So why wouldn't Sony want a similar win? They didn't have the foresight and it's too late now.

Will the chip shortage last into 2023? Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know. But in the interim ms is profiting with the series s. And if it does stretch into 2023 ms is prepared.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
That is not how sales works. You dont sell stuff, because people dont want to buy it. People buy what they want. XSS is being sold, because there is demand for it.
....lol because people are settling for something rather than nothing. Imagine being in the automotive business and saying "this one vehicle sells great on Valentine's Day"

what about the other days?

"Oh she don't sell the other days, just this time of year when people can't find the other model "

kingfey

Banned
....lol because people are settling for something rather than nothing. Imagine being in the automotive business and saying "this one vehicle sells great on Valentine's Day"

what about the other days?

"Oh she don't sell the other days, just this time of year when people can't find the other model "
That is shitty argument to justify your point.

You are saying people will pay for 300$ console, when they can literally wait for the 500$ console to drop.

Do you think, people will spend 300 for xss, then buy xsx for 500$ later? Cuz that is stupid argument. You want them to spend 800$, before taxes on these 2 consoles.

kingfey

Banned
What you quoted has nothing to do with what I wrote. And I also disagree. This gen has been really solid IMO. It's just past one year. We are only 15-20% of the way through, and big games are coming in 2022.

The PS5 has sold in record numbers. The Switch is setting record numbers. There were great games everywhere this year. Yeah November was a rough month for inventory, but that doesn't take away from everything going on, or the trajectory of where things are headed in the grand scheme of things.

Stock levels will return, everything will be fine. And things are likely going to continue as they were in terms of sales breakdowns.
If next gen consoles don't have enough numbers, you wont see next gen games early.
No publishers will put their games on next gen, if they don't have enough customers on next gen.

Stocks won't return to normal. Kiss that pre 2019 life goodbye. We are in new age now, where the supply chain is affected by a new virus.

Everything is chained together in the supply chain. If both consoles don't have enough chips, they won't produce enough. And with viruses affecting everyone's work, it will be harder to produce enough to satisfy the demand.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Good news for Xbox and for the kids that will be able to get a current gen console this holiday season.

Unfortunately, I see, as usual, a certain group of people are generating enough salt to keep the entire population of the world supplied into the next millennium. I do think topics like this i.e., positive Xbox news, should come with a trigger warning. Poor Rivet Rivet is about to have a breakdown this thread has so triggered him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom